What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GPP & Cash Game Question (1 Viewer)

elwayfan446

Footballguy
Hey everyone,  I posted this on another site but I thought I would get the take in here as well.

I am new to DFS and have been studying and researching the strategies for it.  I feel pretty good about where I am at this point but have a couple of questions that I haven't really seen talked about anywhere.  I probably just missed it.

I am trying to stick to the 20% of bankroll each weekend with a breakdown of 80% cash and 20% GPP's.  My questions are 1. How many different lineups should I roll with in cash games and in GPP's when playing with a relatively small bankroll (right now roughly $40-45 a week)?  2. Is it good to spread those lineups out in different contests or look for multi-entry contests to submit them in?

I appreciate the advice!

For cash games stick to low cost double ups and 50/50s, I prefer the $2 dollar double ups that have a large number of entries.  I use 2 cash line ups equally and enter the same contest multiple times.

For GPPs I play large entry $1 and $2 dollar tournaments and rarely use the same line up for any of them, for GPP's finding a good performer that is low owned is more important than it is in cash games. 

Thanks @Megla.  In your GPP's, do you enter your different lineups in the same multi-entrant contests or spread them out between different contests?

Thanks @Megla.  In your GPP's, do you enter your different lineups in the same multi-entrant contests or spread them out between different contests?
I put multiple entries into each contest, so I may have 10 GPPs for Sunday only GPPs but only be in 2 or 3 tournaments, I try to play a few GPPs for each time slot.

Too be clear, the GPPs are for fun and should be viewed that way, they are not where you want to build your bankroll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks.  I have been trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages between entering multiple entries in the same tournament versus entering them in different tournaments.  I appreciate the advice.

would you stick to Multi entries double ups or single entry?  I try to avoid the multi entries where people have 50 of the same lineups

Do you find the cash line on these are higher vs the single entry?  I have found that in the past when playing them

Fairly new to this too. Dabbled for a couple years and now actually trying to build the bankroll.

I am using approx. 10% of bankroll each week. Only $15 or so each week. 

I have been using $3-5 for GPP and the rest in cash games. Playing 1-2 cash lineups And then 3-5 GPP lineups.

No where near as experienced as most in hear, but I am trying to learn. Not going to get rich, but my goal is to make it to the end of the season without running out of money. So far bankroll is up 8% after 2 weeks.

Do you find the cash line on these are higher vs the single entry?  I have found that in the past when playing them
I can't say, I don't think I have ever entered a single entry double up, just doesn't seem worth it, most you are going to win is $4 and I can't imagine there are many single entry double ups each week.

You may be referring to the 50/50

Fairly new to this too. Dabbled for a couple years and now actually trying to build the bankroll.

I am using approx. 10% of bankroll each week. Only $15 or so each week. 

I have been using $3-5 for GPP and the rest in cash games. Playing 1-2 cash lineups And then 3-5 GPP lineups.

No where near as experienced as most in hear, but I am trying to learn. Not going to get rich, but my goal is to make it to the end of the season without running out of money. So far bankroll is up 8% after 2 weeks.

Rich, is that you?

I have been following Buzzard's advise and making 3 cash LU each week. Just started that this year. 

I pick 3 QB's that I like to start with as my core, and each heads up a LU

I will usually have 3 to 5  RB's I like and spread them out between the 3 LU

I break down the WR's in two groups. WR1/2 Group which will have maybe 6-8 guys maybe. Then a WR3 group usually made up of bargain guys. I will mix and match these guys into each LU. 

I pick 4 TE usually I like, 2 studs, 2 bargains. Been playing a lot of the bargain guys this year. 

I know a lot of people don't stack Cash LU, but I will not hesitate to do a QB/WR or RB/Def/K stack. Makes since if one does well, the other will too. 

I play $1 and $2 games usually- X2,X3,50/50, 3 and 5 man leagues. Spend 75% on cash games. 

I usually try to play Single Entry GPP's in the 1 and 2 dollar range. I will play ten $1 dollar GPP's each week with 10 different LU. Usually enter my cash LU in these also. 

I might play a Quintuple Up or 2 and 10/20 man league. I will play 25% in these. 

Looking and some Qualifiers and Survivor stuff this week, but have not done much yet. 

I have been following Buzzard's advise and making 3 cash LU each week. Just started that this year. 

I pick 3 QB's that I like to start with as my core, and each heads up a LU

I will usually have 3 to 5  RB's I like and spread them out between the 3 LU

I break down the WR's in two groups. WR1/2 Group which will have maybe 6-8 guys maybe. Then a WR3 group usually made up of bargain guys. I will mix and match these guys into each LU. 

I pick 4 TE usually I like, 2 studs, 2 bargains. Been playing a lot of the bargain guys this year. 

I know a lot of people don't stack Cash LU, but I will not hesitate to do a QB/WR or RB/Def/K stack. Makes since if one does well, the other will too. 

I play $1 and $2 games usually- X2,X3,50/50, 3 and 5 man leagues. Spend 75% on cash games. 

I usually try to play Single Entry GPP's in the 1 and 2 dollar range. I will play ten $1 dollar GPP's each week with 10 different LU. Usually enter my cash LU in these also. 

I might play a Quintuple Up or 2 and 10/20 man league. I will play 25% in these. 

Looking and some Qualifiers and Survivor stuff this week, but have not done much yet. 

Great insight.  Thanks @podunker.

Why do you play in single entry gpp's vs multi-entry?  Just curious?

My budget is small. I don't want to compete against some shark that put in 100 different LU's, when I might only be able to put in 10. The odds are way in his favor. In single entry he only gets to put in 1 LU the same as me. 

My budget is small. I don't want to compete against some shark that put in 100 different LU's, when I might only be able to put in 10. The odds are way in his favor. In single entry he only gets to put in 1 LU the same as me. 
Pretty sure you will find that the cash point for single entry GPPs is higher than the ME GPPs, remember when there are 250,000 entries for every shark there are 10 minnows entering as well.

Interesting. I never thought about that Megla. I assume you would be right. I guess your best chance to win it all would be SE, but best chance to win some money might be ME. I will have to take a closer look at this. Thanks for the reply. 

No problem, I play a lot of NBA and MLB and noticed this trend earlier in the year, I assume its true for the NFL as well

This is probably the better thread to ask this question since I struggle with the gpps.  What strategy do you use for gpps?  Now that I am looking at more stuff, I think what my problem was is I was going way too far to the "outside the box" thinking (this is the week Keenum and T.Austin will go off!!), and less with trying to get an idea of ownership %s ("Dez is at home, Dallas is expected to score a bit, and people are probably down on him:)

Do you guys:

1.  Tweak a cash lineup to throw in a stack or a couple low % guys?

2.  Go all low % guys?

3.  Something else?

I am just surprised when people post that all they do is gpp, or at least that is more what they play.  I honestly don't know if I got any $ on more than one of them last year, and just trying to attack this different ways. 

This is probably the better thread to ask this question since I struggle with the gpps.  What strategy do you use for gpps?  Now that I am looking at more stuff, I think what my problem was is I was going way too far to the "outside the box" thinking (this is the week Keenum and T.Austin will go off!!), and less with trying to get an idea of ownership %s ("Dez is at home, Dallas is expected to score a bit, and people are probably down on him:)

Do you guys:

1.  Tweak a cash lineup to throw in a stack or a couple low % guys?

2.  Go all low % guys?

3.  Something else?

I am just surprised when people post that all they do is gpp, or at least that is more what they play.  I honestly don't know if I got any $ on more than one of them last year, and just trying to attack this different ways. 
I play mostly GPPs and have had good luck with them.

I've found my sweet spot for lineups each week is 20 to 25. I don't like using the lineup generators and like to make each one individually. 

It sounds to me like you're going too far with the low % stuff. Definitely not necessary and I think at most you're looking for a couple 5% or less guys per lineup. I like to work off of projected ownership numbers and then group guys into one of 3 categories: "overweight", "underweight" and punt and come up with a target for my GPP ownership %. If you're right more often than not on which guys to own less of than the crowd and which to own more of than the crowd, you'll end up ahead in the long run. 

So for example, if I think Travis Benjamin is going to be at 25% in GPPs Sunday and I don't love him, I'd say maybe I want to just have him in 12% of my lineups (3 of 25). Or Charles Sims is 20% but I really like him, I may shoot for getting him into 40-50% of my lineups. Say I think Christine Michael is also going to be in that 20% range and I can't decide if I like him or not, I might punt and just shoot for about 20% ownership on him. 

With the lower-owned guys, I might like AJ Green at projected 4% and say I want him in 12% of my lineups. If he goes off for a big game, then I have 3 different bites at the apple with different rosters that included him. 

And in terms of which low ownership guys you want to target, I wouldn't go after the guys like Keenum. I'd instead target somebody like Green who we know is really good and capable of a big game, but has a perceived bad matchup against Denver. There's definitely a good chance Denver's stud CBs and pass rush lead to a bad day for Green. I wouldn't play him in a 50/50. But Green has upside no matter who he's playing and it wouldn't be crazy at all to think he scores a couple times, maybe gets loose for a deep ball. 

I play mostly GPPs and have had good luck with them.

I've found my sweet spot for lineups each week is 20 to 25. I don't like using the lineup generators and like to make each one individually. 

It sounds to me like you're going too far with the low % stuff. Definitely not necessary and I think at most you're looking for a couple 5% or less guys per lineup. I like to work off of projected ownership numbers and then group guys into one of 3 categories: "overweight", "underweight" and punt and come up with a target for my GPP ownership %. If you're right more often than not on which guys to own less of than the crowd and which to own more of than the crowd, you'll end up ahead in the long run. 

So for example, if I think Travis Benjamin is going to be at 25% in GPPs Sunday and I don't love him, I'd say maybe I want to just have him in 12% of my lineups (3 of 25). Or Charles Sims is 20% but I really like him, I may shoot for getting him into 40-50% of my lineups. Say I think Christine Michael is also going to be in that 20% range and I can't decide if I like him or not, I might punt and just shoot for about 20% ownership on him. 

With the lower-owned guys, I might like AJ Green at projected 4% and say I want him in 12% of my lineups. If he goes off for a big game, then I have 3 different bites at the apple with different rosters that included him. 

And in terms of which low ownership guys you want to target, I wouldn't go after the guys like Keenum. I'd instead target somebody like Green who we know is really good and capable of a big game, but has a perceived bad matchup against Denver. There's definitely a good chance Denver's stud CBs and pass rush lead to a bad day for Green. I wouldn't play him in a 50/50. But Green has upside no matter who he's playing and it wouldn't be crazy at all to think he scores a couple times, maybe gets loose for a deep ball. 
Thanks, and I am sure now this is the mistake that I am making.  What I am going to try for a couple weeks is tweaking my cash lineups a bit to throw in a couple different guys and see how that goes.  If I am getting the idea correctly, you still need a good 5-6 core solid players to get you to the level you would for a cash game, and then getting those couple other guys in there that others might not have, and if they blow up you are sitting well. 

An example would be last week.  Get a guy like Rivers in your lineup if you think people will avoid him with the Allen injury, and stack him with one of the new guys.  Guys that people might be down on this week = Evans or Gurley.  Have all the talent in the world, but could just as easily put up 3 pts as 25.  As long as I am not putting them on a roster with guys like Keenum, Enunwa, Sims, etc.. if you have them in the linuep when they go off and others don't, you have the leg up. 

I play DFS (DK) with fun money so while I do only use 20% of my BR total, I skew a little bit toward the high variance side.

I am using 1 cash lineup if I love it and really believe its optimal.  I use that lineup in 80% of my entries but I split that 80% into about 45% H2H, 45% DU, 10% TU.

The other 20% is GPPs and QUs.  I use a different lineup for every entry, sometimes with a core if I really like it, sometimes all different stacks.  I like my GPP lineups to have 3 or 4 low owned players and the rest can be chalky.  The only time I'll go contrarian across 5+ in the lineup is in the free contests.

Great information guys. I too fell in the the trap of trying to find the "Great Sleepers" and putting too many into play in one LU. When you look at a lot of the GPP winners, they "usually" don't get too crazy. I think having the talent is a big thing when picking these guys, and the AJ Green example was perfect. 

Great information guys. I too fell in the the trap of trying to find the "Great Sleepers" and putting too many into play in one LU. When you look at a lot of the GPP winners, they "usually" don't get too crazy. I think having the talent is a big thing when picking these guys, and the AJ Green example was perfect. 
I think that's what started opening my eyes to what I was doing.  I would see the top teams and think "Well, yeah, of course".   Usually felt like they were built on cash guys, but had that one b/u Rb that went off or those couple studs they just happen to hit on the week they took off.  (of course while getting good weeks out of the chalk guys like DWill). 

Which GPPs to play? Which ones have the best chance to pay out? How to tell which contests are worth playing?

Which GPPs to play? Which ones have the best chance to pay out? How to tell which contests are worth playing?
I play a lot less tourney's than most on this board but will give you my thoughts. All gpp pay out about the same, usually top 17-18% get paid. I play in 2 a week for $1 each. The mini squib (single entry 1176 players)  and Oakheart squib(multi with 88235 players). I'm no math expert but I believe the smaller the contest the better your chances of winning it all.

I avoid qualifiers because at the low stakes I play only the top 3% at best cash. If you look for them on Tuesday there are usually a couple free gpps available. Some pay cash but most just some kind of prize.

Hope this helps 

I play a lot less tourney's than most on this board but will give you my thoughts. All gpp pay out about the same, usually top 17-18% get paid. I play in 2 a week for $1 each. The mini squib (single entry 1176 players)  and Oakheart squib(multi with 88235 players). I'm no math expert but I believe the smaller the contest the better your chances of winning it all.

I avoid qualifiers because at the low stakes I play only the top 3% at best cash. If you look for them on Tuesday there are usually a couple free gpps available. Some pay cash but most just some kind of prize.

Hope this helps 
I also take a peek sometimes at what % you need to be in to cash.  For the main slate, the $1 ME Dive has a lot of entries, but it does pay out to the top 30%.  The Squib has a lot less entries, but also only pays out the top 20%.  Probably not a huge deal, as most hover between that 18-20% range.  It does make sense to me if you are starting out to try the single entry ones, because then you don't have the pros throwing in 100 lineups into a tournament with you. 

Agree on the satellites though, you need to get in the top 6% or so to get the tickets for the cheap ones.  I think more like 17% for the $5 ones. 

Users who are viewing this thread