What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hey breeder guys......Good price for a French Bulldog puppy? (1 Viewer)

RokNRole

Footballguy
One of the first things I plan to do in Dallas is get a dog now that I can have one.

I have never owned a dog and now that I'll be making some bank I would like to get a French Bulldog puppy.

what is a reasonable price range? I'm not looking for any rare coloring or anything....just want a cool puppy

P.S. Any other advice for a first time puppy owner would be greatly appreciated

I saw breeder and immediately thought of GM.

I'd say to ditch the pure-breed, save some money and a life and get yourself an a amazing rescued mutt.

- with papers, French Bulldog puppies can run $2000 - $6000 depending on the breeder and location

- this breed, while awesome, has some inherent health concerns including: hip dysplasia, spinal issues, skin allergies, breathing problems, arthritis, eye problems, heart complications, among others. IF you go with this breed, health insurance is your best friend.

- French Bulldogs, and most all brachycephalic breeds, do not do well in hot climates...Dallas being one of them. make sure your A/C is working. 

- Rescue is a good way to go, though some organizations require in-home visits and evaluations before allowing adoption. a lot of rescue Frenchies have had trauma or are suffering from health issues, so if you plan on leaving the dog home alone for 8-10 hours a day while you are at work, they're not gonna allow you to take the animal. additionally, some rescues require previous experience with the breed before giving the "ok".

- perform your due diligence and DO NOT BUY A FRENCH BULLDOG FROM A PUPPY MILL.

- this breed is very social, especially with humans. if you don't want an affectionate dog who will want to be on/near you all the time, then look elsewhere.

[i'm a French Bulldog owner]

I would bet that if you dug around a large city like Dallas, you would be able to find a rescue that is mostly the breed that you want.

On the other hand if you go to several different 'viewings' where the rescue organizations show their animals that are up for adoption, you may surprise yourself with something that you didn't expect to like. Agree with Parrothead that a 1+ y.o. dog is easier to deal with, especially if you have never had a dog before! My wife and daughter had there mind set on a Australian Shepard, and we ended up on our first viewing with a Jack Russell/Beagle that is adorable and lovable.

Go in with an open mind!!

Considering I will not be home 8-10 hours a day on weekdays should I get two dogs so they can keep eachother company?

We have one if you have any questions.  She is 4 months old at the moment.  Got her in Tulsa from a family that shows and breeds only their "select" English and French Bulldogs.  Pretty pricey if you compare them to the run of the mill dogs that get bred like rabbits.  Also, the litters are rather small in comparison to other breeds so that increases the cost as well. 

Considering I will not be home 8-10 hours a day on weekdays should I get two dogs so they can keep eachother company?
You should probably just get a wife and and a kid, they can play with the dog and keep her company. Wives are pretty cheap. So are babies. 

May have a hard time with that schedule getting a rescue dog.  We were turned down when we told them that the dog would be alone for a max 6 hours a day.    

1)  not a real guy

2)  not a real job

3)  dildo drawing psychopath

4)  alias after alias 

5)  some how still gets way too many legitimate responses to this question posts

May have a hard time with that schedule getting a rescue dog.  We were turned down when we told them that the dog would be alone for a max 6 hours a day.    
Would all rescues turn me down?

single working people aren't allowed to rescue dogs?

Yeah, pretty much the few we looked into wouldn't adopt out dogs to single people or people who were gone longer than a few hours a day.  Guess you could get a different type of dog from the local pound.  Not much of a background check with those dogs I don't think?  could be wrong?

Yeah, pretty much the few we looked into wouldn't adopt out dogs to single people or people who were gone longer than a few hours a day.  Guess you could get a different type of dog from the local pound.  Not much of a background check with those dogs I don't think?  could be wrong?
agreed. we tried to adopt from NorCall French Bulldog Rescue, and were disqualified because a) our house doesn't have central air, b) we had never owned/cared for a Frenchie before, and c) there would be days where neither my wife nor i could work from home and the dog would be alone for 8-9 hours.

hopefully, now that we've been French Bulldog owners, we will be allowed to adopt a rescue in the future.

I get the reasoning...  pure bred breeder doesn't care, but rescued/last-chance animal home does. :loco:  

I get the reasoning...  pure bred breeder doesn't care, but rescued/last-chance animal home does. :loco:  
Every time that we have purchased either an English or French Bulldog we had to go through a long process.  Had to give references, what kind of dogs we have owned before, the name of our veterinarian. :lol:   Our first English we got to bring him home after 4 weeks for a day, the next weekend we got to keep for the weekend, and when he turned 6 weeks old we got to bring him home permanently.  Reputable breeders can be very reluctant to just sell to anyone.  There is a much higher demand than supply so the breeders can be selective.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread