What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool has gotten difficult to navigate (1 Viewer)

carverlee

Footballguy
I come here for 2016 WK3 material and I'm faced with multiple topics originating from 2005 to present with irrelevant titles that I have to sift through to find current information. 14 of the 25 topics I'm looking at on the home page are not even from 2016.. which means going to the last page of the topic to find current info, then checking dates, and going back further if need be. 

This is and always has been THE ONE and ONLY place to come for fantasy football 411. Why over the last few years has it become a chore to find? We're paperless. New topics during the season should be welcomed and merged in the off season if need be.

It would help if we used the correct week number in the waiver wire threads.

Yes, it was funny the first 30 seconds.

The vast majority of in-depth prospect discussion here comes from dynasty owners, especially in the offseason when redraft owners are nowhere to be found. Running threads detailing a player's history here in the Shark Pool are extremely valuable. Sorry if you have to do a little more scrolling or clicking to find your specific weekly start/sit-related info but this message board has a lot more valuable information than that, to a lot of us, which builds up over time and becomes an entire history of certain players.

No reason why specific weekly threads can't be created for re-draft scenarios involving some of these players. Happens all the time. "Week 3 waiver thread". "Who is starting player X and over who?", etc.

But they shouldn't mean the end of the big catch-all player threads you seem to be railing against. 

I come here for 2016 WK3 material and I'm faced with multiple topics originating from 2005 to present with irrelevant titles that I have to sift through to find current information. 14 of the 25 topics I'm looking at on the home page are not even from 2016.. which means going to the last page of the topic to find current info, then checking dates, and going back further if need be. 

This is and always has been THE ONE and ONLY place to come for fantasy football 411. Why over the last few years has it become a chore to find? We're paperless. New topics during the season should be welcomed and merged in the off season if need be.
Over the last 5 years these forums have slowly seen a lot of folks disappear. Variety of reasons why that is but I understand your frustration. I would try the search function in the top right and I'm not trying to be funny or a smart ###. If you use that there is a little drop down that says "this forum" and you might find topics a little quicker. Also the volume of threads per page was cut in about half so it takes scrolling thru 4-6 pages to see what has been put up over the last couple days. 

Good luck with your teams this weekend. 

The vast majority of in-depth prospect discussion here comes from dynasty owners, especially in the offseason when redraft owners are nowhere to be found. Running threads detailing a player's history here in the Shark Pool are extremely valuable. Sorry if you have to do a little more scrolling or clicking to find your specific weekly start/sit-related info but this message board has a lot more valuable information than that, to a lot of us, which builds up over time and becomes an entire history of certain players.

No reason why specific weekly threads can't be created for re-draft scenarios involving some of these players. Happens all the time. "Week 3 waiver thread". "Who is starting player X and over who?", etc.

But they shouldn't mean the end of the big catch-all player threads you seem to be railing against. 

Over the last 5 years these forums have slowly seen a lot of folks disappear. Variety of reasons why that is but I understand your frustration. I would try the search function in the top right and I'm not trying to be funny or a smart ###. If you use that there is a little drop down that says "this forum" and you might find topics a little quicker. Also the volume of threads per page was cut in about half so it takes scrolling thru 4-6 pages to see what has been put up over the last couple days. 

Good luck with your teams this weekend. 
It's ironic you replied MOP. We need more weekly content like what you provide. I don't miss it. And what prompted me to create this topic was in a reply to your post. I had no idea and wouldn't have known unless I just happened to stumble across it.

I appreciate the search function. But why, on the #1 FF forum on the net, is there not readily available: "How will the RB role shake out in MIN?" "What to do with Pats WRs in WK3?" "#1 RB in Carolina this week?" 

I'm speaking as a novice consumer. Not because I can't find what I'm looking for if I want to. I find myself coming here less often because I can find the info I'm looking for elsewhere much, much quicker elsewhere and that's exactly opposite of the way it used to be.

Then merge relevant info in the off season. Nobody cares what people thought about Trey Burton or CMike back in 2013 during the middle of the 2016 season. How about using the search function to find dated information rather than forcing the many that are looking for current info to do so??

Then merge relevant info in the off season. Nobody cares what people thought about Trey Burton or CMike back in 2013 during the middle of the 2016 season. How about using the search function to find dated information rather than forcing the many that are looking for current info to do so??
If we have 40 threads on every player/situation, no one will be able to find anything.

"How will the RB role shake out in MIN?" "What to do with Pats WRs in WK3?" "#1 RB in Carolina this week?" 
70% McKinnon, 30% Asiata.  Hillman probably won't see the field much, if at all, this week.

Bench them.

CAP, but as always, Cam will call his own number at the goalline.

Feel free to inbox me anytime! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Best thing to do is mark the whole forum as read at the start of the season (or even weekly) then use the dot in the margin to jump right to the new posts in each thread.  Then you can quickly navigate to the relevant (for you) info.  Non-intuitive, I'll admit, but it works.

By "nobody" here, what you mean to say is YOU don't care.  Clearly some people, such as potential dynasty owners, or people invested in the dialogue about specific players, DO value the ability to quickly go back and see the consensus view of a player at earlier times, even as far back as before they were drafted.  This is made much easier by having everything in one thread instead of spread through multiple weekly threads for years.

FBG Shark Pool has chosen to use this form of organization, and thus cater to owners with this sort of "long view."  Many other boards basically reset week by week.  Neither is wrong, or stupid.  I for one am glad there are boards of both kinds available to fill different niches.

Granted, pehaps the Shark Pool would benefit from an FAQ sticky explaining this reasoning to newer users and helping them navigate.  But I get the idea people don't much read FAQs anymore anyway.

Just giving an opinion here... I don't even understand the complaint. If I see a thread I click to the last post and scroll up. That's all current discussion. Is that not what you and everyone else does?

I wouldnt mind seeing some of the old threads renamed.  We have an 84 page gronk thread entitled 

***** OFFICIAL Rob Gronkowski - is awesome thread *****4th surgery on

It's ironic you replied MOP. We need more weekly content like what you provide. I don't miss it. And what prompted me to create this topic was in a reply to your post. I had no idea and wouldn't have known unless I just happened to stumble across it.

I appreciate the search function. But why, on the #1 FF forum on the net, is there not readily available: "How will the RB role shake out in MIN?" "What to do with Pats WRs in WK3?" "#1 RB in Carolina this week?" 

I'm speaking as a novice consumer. Not because I can't find what I'm looking for if I want to. I find myself coming here less often because I can find the info I'm looking for elsewhere much, much quicker elsewhere and that's exactly opposite of the way it used to be.
Because you can find that info anywhere including the paid section of this site. The forums are not designed to give you weekly fantasy advice. 

The forums are not designed to give you weekly fantasy advice. 
The forums are not designed, period. Moderation is really limited these days, the staff barely posts here anymore, a ton of guys have quit ff, died or aged out of poating on messagw boards, and they hired so many of the top posters over the years that it's down to guys who like posting and don't want a job or aren't good enough to have been offered one.  And a lot of the guys who like posting are or became dynasty guys.  

I wouldnt mind seeing some of the old threads renamed.  We have an 84 page gronk thread entitled 

***** OFFICIAL Rob Gronkowski - is awesome thread *****4th surgery on
Or just deleted... I think people are exaggerating the value of long outdated discussions...   Way too time consuming to read page after page of commentary, all too often biased based on ownership. 

I understand the challenge of keeping the boards clean... The off-season is dominated by dynasty discussion but I want relevant topics during the season.   There is no indication that a thread on "What is Orleans Darkwa" or "Walker to the Titans" has anything of interest right now.

Ha.  

So the two complaints are:

1.  Forced to go to last page of a thread to find current info.

2.  Other posters not posting enough information that interests me.  

Is that right?

Or just deleted... I think people are exaggerating the value of long outdated discussions...   Way too time consuming to read page after page of commentary, all too often biased based on ownership. 

I understand the challenge of keeping the boards clean... The off-season is dominated by dynasty discussion but I want relevant topics during the season.   There is no indication that a thread on "What is Orleans Darkwa" or "Walker to the Titans" has anything of interest right now.
Then why don't you start a thread on Orleans Darkwa or Delanie Walker, instead of moaning about it?

This was my reaction too.  Who cares how long a thread is?  Jump to the last page or two.
I dunno, maybe some people are unaware of the little arrow things that direct you to the next or last page.  Sounds like poor DropKIck has been reading every page of every thread beore he gets to the latest page.  

This is the best ffootball board on the web. It doesn't need more moderators. Rotoworld has been ruined that way. Sounds like you a) need to get better at navigating b) come in the off-season c) adjust your expectations in-season

There is certainly less traffic in the SP.  Maybe message boards are a Gen X thing.  Maybe Twitter has made them less relevant.  

But there are less trolls as well.  You get bickering, but I don't think that's trolling.  It's just fantasy geeks having geeky conversations.  

But as I have said before, if you are coming to the SP for the most recent, late-breaking news, you are doing it wrong. Twitter has the latest info, period, in more objective terms.  

SP is more about strategy discussion, Player X owners talking to other Player X owners, etc.  

Current news is obviously posted, and then people dissecting that news, and trying to suss out what the current news means, or doesn't mean.  

I don't think long term player threads are really super helpful, no.  But I need a better argument to do away with them than: :SIGH: I have to click to the last page to get to the last page :SIGH:

I too wish that there wasnt one big thread for each player/team  going back to the beginning of time.  Its not so much that I mind  looking at the end of the thread for up to date relevant information,  its that in alot of cases  I dont even know that there IS  relavent information that I might want to look at.  To me the frustration of having to look at more than 1 page  of the SP  and  having more than 1 post on a particular topic isnt nearly as big of a deal as some make it out to be.  At least when I click on a current post Im assured of it being....current...  Just my 2cents worth.  I know we arent going back....but I wish we did.

CLICK.  ON.  THE.  LAST.  PAGE.  OF.  BIG.  THREADS.  FIRST.

It ain't rocket philosophy.

I swear, these kids want you to pre-chew their food for them.

I too wish that there wasnt one big thread for each player/team  going back to the beginning of time.  Its not so much that I mind  looking at the end of the thread for up to date relevant information,  its that in alot of cases  I dont even know that there IS  relavent information that I might want to look at.  To me the frustration of having to look at more than 1 page  of the SP  and  having more than 1 post on a particular topic isnt nearly as big of a deal as some make it out to be.  At least when I click on a current post Im assured of it being....current...  Just my 2cents worth.  I know we arent going back....but I wish we did.
Hint: If the thread has been bumped to the top of the forum, no matter how old it is, its because there's new posting going on in it...odds are its "relevant information".

Hint: If the thread has been bumped to the top of the forum, no matter how old it is, its because there's new posting going on in it...odds are its "relevant information".
But thats the point....  often times  it ISN'T  relevent information.....  New post?  sure....  but  the recent posts could be about  anything.  It might be relevent but often times it isnt.  With individual threads you at least have a thread title which gives you a more focused clue about what's inside... Some of these player threads,  and especially TEAM threads have gotten so broad that  the chances of finding useful information is pretty slim and can be frustrating.  In the past the shark pool has been my go to place to look for relevant  FF information.  Sadly it is not any more....and part of that is due to the structure of the forums..  I liken it to looking for a needle in  ahaystack....when youre not even sure there even is a needle.

The thread title can be changed to "GRONKS Party Was Awesome - Pics Inside," and you know what? If it's a 100 page thread you can bet that's THE Gronk Thread. You need info on Gronk, go there.

FBG: What is the possibility of letting users choose reverse chronological order for posts in a thread (as are threads in the forum itself)?  So the most recent info would always be on the first page.  I know many would not like reading in reverse order, but perhaps there would be others in addition to me that would prefer to have this option.

FBG: What is the possibility of letting users choose reverse chronological order for posts in a thread?
Are you serious?!?!?!

You already have that choice...

CLICK.  ON.  THE.  LAST.  PAGE.  OF.  BIG.  THREADS.  FIRST.  AND.  START.  AT.  THE.  BOTTOM.

You want me to cut your steak, too?

spider321 said:
Are you serious?!?!?!

You already have that choice...

CLICK.  ON.  THE.  LAST.  PAGE.  OF.  BIG.  THREADS.  FIRST.  AND.  START.  AT.  THE.  BOTTOM.

You want me to cut your steak, too?
Why, yes.  Yes I am serious.  Oh.  I didn't realize we were not able to have preferences that differ from yours.   In my experience many bbs (bulletin board system) software allow (among their many configurable options) the feature I ask for.  No programming needed, just checking a box in the configuration.  My hope in asking the question is that this might be the case with the software that FBG uses. 

Anyhow since my preference seems to be your business and you find it offensive, I live in an area on the border of Haiti with a very slow and at times intermittent internet connection.  Today, for example, I was unable to see live scoring for my leagues.  During my draft, Yahoo auto-picked 15 of 20 picks because I couldn't get into the site for about an hour. So every page click can be painful and without guarantee of success.  Now add in a tiny cell phone screen where despite my best efforts, 70% of the time I end up clicking on the subject title instead of the last page as I intend.  Sometimes I only get to see the first page and nothing more.  Plus, in this scenario, if the hover in the function in the forum shows the last few posts instead of the first few posts of the thread, it might be enough for me to know that I don't need to enter the thread at all saving my clicks for different threads.

So yeah, besides all that, it is simply my preference and that should have been enough. But, sure, you can cut my steak for me if you like. Please make sure it's medium well, though, that is my preference as well - as long as that doesn't offend you as well.

Because you can find that info anywhere including the paid section of this site. The forums are not designed to give you weekly fantasy advice. 
That's too bad, because that would be a good idea. Get rid of the questions to Bloom thread (move it into the AC or everyone just pay to look at the rankings), injury threads (like another poster says, we have Twitter, Rotoworld, etc. for that), etc. A thread for each game each week would be great if it was like taking MOP's weekly thread and splitting it up.

Not to say that the SP isn't already great . . .

That's too bad, because that would be a good idea. Get rid of the questions to Bloom thread (move it into the AC or everyone just pay to look at the rankings), injury threads (like another poster says, we have Twitter, Rotoworld, etc. for that), etc. A thread for each game each week would be great if it was like taking MOP's weekly thread and splitting it up.

Not to say that the SP isn't already great . . .
This is a good idea. 

Have you tried clicking the "sort by" drop down tab.  It is on the right side at the top.  You can then use the "custom" filter to cater to more of your liking.

I can understand some of the frustration, but some of the things you are wishing for are on the paid portion of the site.  

There are times that I have also thought that things tend to seem cluttered, but it is more due to the titles used for the threads, makes scanning for topics you may be interested somewhat difficult.  Just a couple of observations...

1.  The use of "OFFICIAL" David Johnson Thread, RB Arizona Cardinals... Or worse "****** OFFICIAL****** David Johnson Thread....could just be simplified to "David Johnson, RB Cardinals."  Do we have "UNOFFICIAL" player threads?  Much cleaner and easier to spot by eliminating the use of "Official" and/or "**********"

2.  Using "DYNASTY AND REDRAFT -- Carson Wentz, QB Philadelphia Eagles".  Who would this thread exclude if it pertains to both dynasty and redraft?  Just say Carson Wentz, QB Eagles.

3.  The same as above, but for individual team threads..."****OFFICIAL *****NEW YORK GIANTS THREAD."  Could a separate sub forum be created just listing each team where those threads could be moved?

So I think the OP does have a point, but I think from my experiences it is more due to using titles that are just too lengthy and redundant.  Then again, this may all be due to my advancing age and the inability of my brain to process info like it used to, so forgive me if that is more of the reason than anything else. ?

There are times that I have also thought that things tend to seem cluttered, but it is more due to the titles used for the threads, makes scanning for topics you may be interested somewhat difficult.  Just a couple of observations...

1.  The use of "OFFICIAL" David Johnson Thread, RB Arizona Cardinals... Or worse "****** OFFICIAL****** David Johnson Thread....could just be simplified to "David Johnson, RB Cardinals."  Do we have "UNOFFICIAL" player threads?  Much cleaner and easier to spot by eliminating the use of "Official" and/or "**********"

2.  Using "DYNASTY AND REDRAFT -- Carson Wentz, QB Philadelphia Eagles".  Who would this thread exclude if it pertains to both dynasty and redraft?  Just say Carson Wentz, QB Eagles.

3.  The same as above, but for individual team threads..."****OFFICIAL *****NEW YORK GIANTS THREAD."  Could a separate sub forum be created just listing each team where those threads could be moved?

So I think the OP does have a point, but I think from my experiences it is more due to using titles that are just too lengthy and redundant.  Then again, this may all be due to my advancing age and the inability of my brain to process info like it used to, so forgive me if that is more of the reason than anything else. ?
Ironically, all these "OFFICIAL*********!!!" tags were put in just last season by overzealous moderators in response to that year's  new-arrivals flavor-of-the-month complaint, which was about the lack of standardization in titles.

Have to agree the whole "dynasty and redraft" thing could go though.  That's a holdover from an older era when the dynasty guys didnt want the redrafter opinions cluttering their longterm threads.  Folks complained about having two threads per player.  Now they complain about having all the info in one thread and having to wade through.

While some changes are just uniformly bad (NEW IMPROVED MyFBG for instance), most simply cater to a different group's preferences, and create a new, different group of dissatisfied users.

You should really change your avatar. When I see it in the "last post by" on the main page, it makes me think Joe has chimed in with something useful to contribute.

Instead it's just you.

And, it's really lame to cop the FBG head. It's brown-nosing, fanboy behavior, and really makes you look pretty lame.
Wow!

You're really butthurt by it.

I think I'll keep it.  :D

imjackdeupp updated the player index which is an excellent resource for finding specific player threads people may be looking for in the forum just the other day. You can find the latest index here.

This is actually a useful improvement that came out of complaints similar to this last season. Thanks to jackd for doing it, it's excellent.

If you are going to complain about stuff, how about offering a alternative or solution along with your complaint carverlee? Or better yet contribute something towards it?

Your post seems like you want to be spoon fed information and for that information to be tailored to your specific interests. Even if we wanted to bend over backwards to suit you (which we don't) none of us knows what you are interested in. That is your responsibility not ours.

Use the index. Not everything is going to be on the first page, especially when people are posting more frequently, as they are now.

As far as your distaste for long threads, you have not thought about what the alternative to that is. The alternative would be MANY more threads than there already are, and good luck finding what you may be looking for then, with the information and opinion scattered among 50 different threads instead of one or a few.

IF you really want to know stuff about a player, then you should be glad there is a living record of the player over time that you can read and get up to speed, even if you haven't been paying attention for months. 

Users who are viewing this thread