What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jose Fernandez killed in a boating accident? (1 Viewer)

i've seen three guys who cover the Marlins confirm it on twitter.  only hope now is that it is a mass hack hoax.  but it seems more likely to be true than not at this point.

####

I just read this on what looked like some click bait online.  Has anybody else seen anything about this?   
I'm looking at multiple twitter feeds that say this is true, but damn if I know the sources. Maybe investigate a little more and post in the baseball forum.  

I'm looking at multiple twitter feeds that say this is true, but damn if I know the sources. Maybe investigate a little more and post in the baseball forum.  
My bad--I didn't realize there was actually a baseball forum.   I apologize if the mods need to delete or move this thread.  Yeah--I was unfamiliar with the source who wrote the article that I read--so I'm just hoping it's some sort of hoax or misinformation.  

My bad--I didn't realize there was actually a baseball forum.   I apologize if the mods need to delete or move this thread.  Yeah--I was unfamiliar with the source who wrote the article that I read--so I'm just hoping it's some sort of hoax or misinformation.  
Pretty innocuous for a message board error. Let's pray for his safety. Six minutes ago twitter says he is no longer alive.  

Uggh---Rotoworld just wrote something about it saying that some dude from the Miami Herald has confirmed it.  This is looking to be more and more true. Damn. 

had no idea what he went through to get here.  jailed 3 times before 15 for trying to defect from Cuba.  finally made it, saved his mom from drowning in the process of escaping.  

Uggh--I was soo hoping this was not going to be true. I agree about him being one of the easiest players in the league to be a fan of. Truly tragic.   RIP to him and condolences to his family.  This was definitely not the type of news that I ever want to wake up to.  

Drowning?
30 foot speedboat crashed into the jetties in government cut, where the cruise ships dock. The local news showed the boat nearly vertical on the rocks. Three people dead. More victims possible. Today's Marlin game canceled. 

Thoughts and prayers to the families of all involved as well as the Marlins organization.

Had him starting today in the fantasy playoffs. 

As I posted in the Baseball Forums...

The Marlins wanted to push him back a day to try and spoil the Mets season. Because Fernandez did not have to pitch Sunday but instead Monday, I guess he felt he could go out and cut loose on a boat. Maybe he just liked night fishing like a lot of other folks in Florida. 

Marlins are going to look horrible, more horrible than usual. This is devastating. I watched him pitch almost every home game he took the mound this year. It's safe to say he was a lot of the reason I wanted to go to the games, felt like you were watching something special. I'm just numb to this right now. 

The Cuban community down here had the best player on the team from their home country...not sure everyone will understand just how devastating this will be. I can't see the fans showing up much next year. I know they don't get a lot of folks to begin with but now the whole thing is cursed. I don't want to be in that stadium for a long long time. 

I would expect their season tickets to plunge.

Why did you all mess with the rotation? I guess it could have happened any night he wasn't scheduled to pitch but it feels like some terrible karma for the Marlins. 

Awful, I could just cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the 2-3 most enjoyable players in the game to watch, and a guy who had HOF written all over him.  Obviously most devastating for his family, friends, and teammates, but perhaps as a compliment to him he is a guy whose death is devastating to the game overall.  

I know this sounds stupid but I picked this guy up before his first major league start in a keeper league and kept him for two years. I always felt like he was "my" guy or I "discovered" him. Just loved  watching him pitch.

As I posted in the Baseball Forums...

The Marlins wanted to push him back a day to try and spoil the Mets season. Because Fernandez did not have to pitch Sunday but instead Monday, I guess he felt he could go out and cut loose on a boat. Maybe he just liked night fishing like a lot of other folks in Florida. 

Marlins are going to look horrible, more horrible than usual. This is devastating. I watched him pitch almost every home game he took the mound this year. It's safe to say he was a lot of the reason I wanted to go to the games, felt like you were watching something special. I'm just numb to this right now. 

The Cuban community down here had the best player on the team from their home country...not sure everyone will understand just how devastating this will be. I can't see the fans showing up much next year. I know they don't get a lot of folks to begin with but now the whole thing is cursed. I don't want to be in that stadium for a long long time. 

I would expect their season tickets to plunge.

Why did you all mess with the rotation? I guess it could have happened any night he wasn't scheduled to pitch but it feels like some terrible karma for the Marlins. 

Awful, I could just cry.
How could the Marlins bare any rsponsibility?  Is his wife to blame because she didn't send him to the store for milk?

That's just asinine.

How could the Marlins bare any rsponsibility?  Is his wife to blame because she didn't send him to the store for milk?

That's just asinine.
Yeah it's just awful luck. I made a similarly silly comment after Adenhart died, that the reliever who blew the save that night would feel guilt for extending the game which then led to the timing of Adenhart's death. Obviously can't look at things that way. Sometimes awful things just happen, and it's nobody's fault.

That's just asinine
Wow, could you dial it back just a hair and have some compassion? Miami purposely pushed him back a day to try and derail the Mets, that's a simple fact. I understand your point but we're kind of bleeding down here right now, you can criticize the accident later but for the moment could you just hand me a bandage? 

It's a rough day today Igno, nerves are tender. If the Marlins did not push his start date back, he likely would not have been out at 3 AM this morning. I am guessing he was trying to make it back thru the same channel the cruise ships pass thru, very dangerous even for a 33 foot boat. 

It sucks, and Jeffrey Loria is to blame, he has to be. 

Wow, could you dial it back just a hair and have some compassion? Miami purposely pushed him back a day to try and derail the Mets, that's a simple fact. I understand your point but we're kind of bleeding down here right now, you can criticize the accident later but for the moment could you just hand me a bandage? 

It's a rough day today Igno, nerves are tender. If the Marlins did not push his start date back, he likely would not have been out at 3 AM this morning. I am guessing he was trying to make it back thru the same channel the cruise ships pass thru, very dangerous even for a 33 foot boat. 

And that, my friends, is why he's unbeatable.

Understanding this is a tough time for anyone in the baseball community, but we don't know if the Marlins or Loria have ever pushed back a start in the past or removed him from a game where the timing ended up SAVING his life. Maybe pushing his start back to Monday saved the lives of other Marlins players, and maybe a bunch of them would have been on a boat with him on Tuesday instead of last night. We'll just never know. I just don't think this is really the right time to start passing blame on people for what was an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread