What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

B/R Reports Jose Fernandez dead (1 Viewer)

Oh no!  Has any athlete died in the middle of a great season before?  Apparently two other people on the boat also died. I'm curious to see who was driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just terrible terrible news.  The young baseball star angle means nothing - a young man with his whole life ahead (and my guess two friends in a similar position) are lost.

just awful. :-(

The Marlins wanted to push him back a day to try and spoil the Mets season. Because Fernandez did not have to pitch Sunday but instead Monday, I guess he felt he could go out and cut loose on a boat. Maybe he just liked night fishing like a lot of other folks in Florida. 

Marlins are going to look horrible, more horrible than usual. This is devastating. I watched him pitch almost every home game he took the mound this year. It's safe to say he was a lot of the reason I wanted to go to the games, felt like you were watching something special. I'm just numb to this right now. 

The Cuban community down here had the best play on the team from their home country..not sure everyone will understand just how devastating this will be. I can't see the fans showing up much next year. I know they don't get a lot of folks to begin with but now the whole thing is cursed. I don't want to be in that stadium for a long long time. 

ASG next year? Won't be hard to find a ticket for that. I would expect their season tickets to plunge. 

Why did you all mess with the rotation? I guess it could have happened any night he wasn't scheduled to pitch but it feels like some terrible karma for the Marlins. 

Awful, I could just cry.

Awful, awful news, sick to my stomach here. Guy was a joy to watch and really had a passion for the game / life. 

Sad news. Wasn't there another boating accident a few years back that killed a few ball players?

Sad news. Wasn't there another boating accident a few years back that killed a few ball players?
Not remembering names, but seem to think it was 3 Inidian players during Spring Training. Had the boat out at night and hit a dock / pier that they couldn't see

Not a Marlins fan, but a fan of Jose Fernandez.  Reminded me of the devastation when Darryl Kile died during a Cubs series in 2002.  Out of the blue from a heart attack.  He was a little older than Jose and different circumstances, but same sick feeling to see an athlete struck down in their prime.

I've been watching a lot of Vin Scully broadcasts in the past few months and noticed he tends to repeat the phrase "he's just starting out" a lot in reference to young ball players.  The old man who's spent his life talking about a young man's game probably appreciates better than most, the possibilities that are offered only by youth.

Fernandez was 24 so Scully could have said that about him as well.  He was a kid, the same age as my daughter, just starting out his baseball career, his family, his life.  All those millions of potential outcomes are gone in an instant.  The loss of who he was was tragic, the loss of what he might have become makes it even sadder.

Hypothetical

Say this turns into a worst case scenario. JF was drunk, driving the boat, speeding, putting not only his life, but other people's life in danger. If that's the case, how do the Marlins go about honoring him on a forward basis?

Initial reaction was they couldn't do enough to honor this kid. On the field, he embodied everything you wanted in a ball player. He was home grown (Marlins draft pick) and was the ideal person(cuban defector), in the ideal place (Miami) with the ideal demeanor (always having fun)  to be the face of a franchise.

Retire his number (already done), statue in front of the park, Every home game played on the 16th month dedicated to his memory. The possibilities were endless and he warranted it by what he did when wearing that Marlins' uniform.

However, life itself is more important than what he did in a uniform. If the hypothetical I'm presenting, and he was in the wrong here, I don't know how you go about doing any of that. I think you have to turn him into some sort of cautionary tale, but how?

Hypothetical

Say this turns into a worst case scenario. JF was drunk, driving the boat, speeding, putting not only his life, but other people's life in danger. If that's the case, how do the Marlins go about honoring him on a forward basis?

Initial reaction was they couldn't do enough to honor this kid. On the field, he embodied everything you wanted in a ball player. He was home grown (Marlins draft pick) and was the ideal person(cuban defector), in the ideal place (Miami) with the ideal demeanor (always having fun)  to be the face of a franchise.

Retire his number (already done), statue in front of the park, Every home game played on the 16th month dedicated to his memory. The possibilities were endless and he warranted it by what he did when wearing that Marlins' uniform.

However, life itself is more important than what he did in a uniform. If the hypothetical I'm presenting, and he was in the wrong here, I don't know how you go about doing any of that. I think you have to turn him into some sort of cautionary tale, but how?
Had a wee bit of cocaine in his system well.

Well, now people will say the guy had it all in life and threw it away for coke, alcohol and thrill seeking.

Users who are viewing this thread