What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What can a white dude do to help BLM? (1 Viewer)

(HULK)

(Smash)
When the Black Lives Matter movement first started, my initial reaction was that is ridiculous, all lives matter equally.

A little bit of time went by and I stopped feeling like that.  About the time the guy who was a caregiver for a mentally disabled teen got shot in the street, I'd simply had enough.  I woke up to that fact that while yes, all lives matter, black lives were simply not being treated with the same respect as white lives.  And it deserves to be more than spotlighted, it needs to be changed.

Then the most recent events, and now I feel angry about this happening.  I've always been a support the police/military kinda guy, but I just can't support the insanity that is happening with our police forces any more.  My reaction right now is basically WTF are they doing?!?!  How is this still happening!?!?

I realize I'm later to the party than I should've been.  But now that I'm here, what can I do to help?  I can figure out how to donate $, I'm talking about what can I actually do to help directly?  TIA.  Any good suggestions, I'll edit into this post for anyone like me who wants to help.

Suggestions:

Find ways locally to support those who want increased accountability of police. Vote for judges, state senate, mayors etc.. Campaign for those who will fight against the thick blue line. 

Here are six concrete ways to move yourself and the white people in your life into action.  

1. Give to Black-led organizing for Black liberation. A list of suggested organizations is available here.

2. Join the SURJ chapter near you. There are over 150 SURJ chapters organizing for for Black Lives across the country. If there isn’t already a chapter near you, start a new chapter. We can help you get started.

3. Join a national meeting by conference call Tuesday July 12th to connect with others, hear from local organizers in Baton Rouge and the Twin Cities, and discuss plans for nationwide mobilization. Register even if you can’t make the live call. We’ll send you the notes afterwards.

4. Hold a house meeting. Gather your friends and neighbors this weekend to talk about what is happening and what we can do. If you can’t host at home, a picnic table in the park or coffee shop will do. A guide to support you is available.

5. Organize a canvass to talk to other white people on their doorstep about what is happening and bring them into the movement for Black lives. Never done it before? It’s ok, we’ve got a toolkit that will help you get started. We also host weekly calls for coaching and support.

6. Join us in the streets. Now is the time for white people to be visible, courageous and relentless in our public opposition to racism and the state-sanctioned murder of Black people. There are no bystanders when the business of police murder is funded with our tax dollars and runs with our silent consent, and when police union contracts keep police officers who kill from being held accountable. Black people and people of color are targeted by the police and racist vigilantes everyday in their homes, cars, schools, workplaces and in the street. It’s time for white people to say enough is enough publicly and powerfully. If there’s no one in your community protesting, you can start. All you need is two friends and some signs. Email us at andrew@showup4rj.org if you need support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jokes aside... I agree with the principle behind the cause (improving accountability for, and decreasing incidents of use of excessive force by law enforcement. However, I can't get behind BLM and their tactics. 

Jokes aside... I agree with the principle behind the cause (improving accountability for, and decreasing incidents of use of excessive force by law enforcement. However, I can't get behind BLM and their tactics. 

That not why we here!

Seriously, I'm not worried about their "tactics".  What am I worrying about is fixing our society.  How do we stop this from happening?  What can I do to help?

That not why we here!

Seriously, I'm not worried about their "tactics".  What am I worrying about is fixing our society.  How do we stop this from happening?  What can I do to help?
Find ways locally to support those who want increased accountability of police. Vote for judges, state senate, mayors etc.. Campaign for those who will fight against the thick blue line. 

But...anything national or anything led by BLM specifically is more of a #### show IMO. 

That not why we here!

Find ways in your community to mentor kids that don't have a good family structure to show them how to be responsible, how to use education to their advantage, and "show them" that there is a better world out there. 

Great question.  Most don't bother to ask it.  I wish I had an answer, but I'm in the same boat as you. 

What I keep hearing in the office and on facebook, etc. is "if they would just do what the police tell them there wouldn't be a problem" and "they kill more of each other than get killed by police".  So they're not thinking too deeply into the issue or even trying to understand.  They assume their experiences are the same as those of people of color, and most of us "white dudes" have never had a really bad experience with the police.  If I walk down the street alone at night and a police car passes, I feel a sense of reassurance.   It's clear the opposite is true for African Americans. 

Could I engage the coworkers and try to have a nuanced discussion?  I suppose, but I doubt it would result in anything more than making the work environment more uncomfortable.  Based on my experiences discussing it with my family, I'm not likely to get anywhere.  The black fella on Fox News told them they were right afterall.  And what do I know, really?  I haven't walked an inch in any shoes but my own. 

But...anything national or anything led by BLM specifically is more of a #### show IMO. 
Can't be stated enough. Apathy is the root cause of much of these problems, in my opinion. It's a vicious cycle. Folks don't believe they are represented, don't think their vote matters and thus quit trying or never seek to be a part of the solution. Many of these national issues seem to happen in a vacuum (from afar) and the short sided responses fuel a fire that is nearly impossible to quell. So much work to be done, but becoming an active member in the conversation from a community level is a good place to start. BLM is, in my opinion, very much a negative result of unbalanced representation combined with negligence. 

Can't be stated enough. Apathy is the root cause of much of these problems, in my opinion. It's a vicious cycle. Folks don't believe they are represented, don't think their vote matters and thus quit trying or never seek to be a part of the solution. Many of these national issues seem to happen in a vacuum (from afar) and the short sided responses fuel a fire that is nearly impossible to quell. So much work to be done, but becoming an active member in the conversation from a community level is a good place to start. BLM is, in my opinion, very much a negative result of unbalanced representation combined with negligence. 
Not a word you hear mentioned around here much or most places. I have posted a few times that the downfall of Rome starts with apathy. It feels like apathy has spread in the United States, people eventually just shrug and say whatever and the next thing you know you have Barbarians at the Gate   :)

Drive through an urban area and whenever you see a group of people gathered just start yelling "black lives matter" and maybe pump your fist in the air.  They will love the support and thank you.

2-5 years of training with an officer who has a gun before giving one to anyone who just makes it through the academy in 18 weeks or whatever ir is?

It seems blatantly obvious a portion of our police officers are not trained enough to handle a gun. 

2-5 years of training with an officer who has a gun before giving one to anyone who just makes it through the academy in 18 weeks or whatever ir is?

It seems blatantly obvious a portion of our police officers are not trained enough to handle a gun. 
I don't think there is any amount of training that prepares you to have a weapon drawn on you

This won't end well, but hopefully it ends quickly. Appreciate the OPs efforts but, man, this place...

They are very well-trained on how to handle a gun.  Constant trips to the shooting range and certifications ensure they know how to handle a gun.

What's really needed is a much greater focus on when to use a gun.  But that's a hell of a lot more difficult and harder to measure.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, @(HULK), get off your lazy butt and make this happen if you really care.

Cjw_55106 said:
Thats just one person's opinion. That being said, if it is a widespread thought amongst the black community, then screw them. 
"Screw them" in what way? "Screw them, I'll show up if I want to show up"? Or, "Screw them, I just won't help at all if that's how they want to be"?

One thing that should happen, in my opinion, is instead of - or at worst, in addition to - our military investing in rockets that can travel at mach 20, we need to work on law enforcement weaponry that is incapacitating as opposed to deadly. I know LEOs carry tasers, but they also carry guns. As ridiculous as it might sound, having some sort of a 'stun-gun' might change a lot of this. That and aggressive enforcement of gun control. Not gun removal for qualified citizens, mind you, I'm a gun owner; gun control RE: violent criminals. Extensive background checks and psychological profiles for those requesting permission to operate a weapon. Which should be more stringent and thorough than gaining qualification/license for driving a vehicle. 

(HULK) said:
Don't know if I can just show up to a protest as a 6'4" doofy white guy and be welcomed.  Can I?
I have the same question related to showing up at Barry Farm summer basketball games.

"Screw them" in what way? "Screw them, I'll show up if I want to show up"? Or, "Screw them, I just won't help at all if that's how they want to be"?
Clearly this lady has disdain for the white man. Like I said, I dont believe thats how most feel, but if they do, "Screw them, I just won't help at all if that's how they want to be"?

One thing that should happen, in my opinion, is instead of - or at worst, in addition to - our military investing in rockets that can travel at mach 20, we need to work on law enforcement weaponry that is incapacitating as opposed to deadly. I know LEOs carry tasers, but they also carry guns. As ridiculous as it might sound, having some sort of a 'stun-gun' might change a lot of this. That and aggressive enforcement of gun control. Not gun removal for qualified citizens, mind you, I'm a gun owner; gun control RE: violent criminals. Extensive background checks and psychological profiles for those requesting permission to operate a weapon. Which should be more stringent and thorough than gaining qualification/license for driving a vehicle. 
Need those puke sticks from Demolition Man ASAP

Clearly this lady has disdain for the white man. Like I said, I dont believe thats how most feel, but if they do, "Screw them, I just won't help at all if that's how they want to be"?
I believe the part in red, and I'd never have considered adding the part in blue... unless I didn't actually believe the part in red.

Bed as many black women as possible to help foster a new generation of biracial kids so there is no more black vs white. Expand the cause to yellow lives matter in phase 2.

Six ways white people can help end the War on Black People

posted by DARA SILVERMAN | 16804sc
July 07, 2016

With the recent brutal murders of Black people by police officers in Baton Rouge LA, the Twin Cities MN, Washington DC, Asheville NC — and so many other places — it is time for white people to take even more action.  

Here are six concrete ways to move yourself and the white people around into action. 
Here are six concrete ways to move yourself and the white people in your life into action.  

1. Give to Black-led organizing for Black liberation. A list of suggested organizations is available here.

2. Join the SURJ chapter near you. There are over 150 SURJ chapters organizing for for Black Lives across the country. If there isn’t already a chapter near you, start a new chapter. We can help you get started.

3. Join a national meeting by conference call Tuesday July 12th to connect with others, hear from local organizers in Baton Rouge and the Twin Cities, and discuss plans for nationwide mobilization. Register even if you can’t make the live call. We’ll send you the notes afterwards.

4. Hold a house meeting. Gather your friends and neighbors this weekend to talk about what is happening and what we can do. If you can’t host at home, a picnic table in the park or coffee shop will do. A guide to support you is available.

5. Organize a canvass to talk to other white people on their doorstep about what is happening and bring them into the movement for Black lives. Never done it before? It’s ok, we’ve got a toolkit that will help you get started. We also host weekly calls for coaching and support.

6. Join us in the streets. Now is the time for white people to be visible, courageous and relentless in our public opposition to racism and the state-sanctioned murder of Black people. There are no bystanders when the business of police murder is funded with our tax dollars and runs with our silent consent, and when police union contracts keep police officers who kill from being held accountable. Black people and people of color are targeted by the police and racist vigilantes everyday in their homes, cars, schools, workplaces and in the street. It’s time for white people to say enough is enough publicly and powerfully. If there’s no one in your community protesting, you can start. All you need is two friends and some signs. Email us at andrew@showup4rj.org if you need support.
http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/six_ways

When someone says "It's our fight" my response is "#### you it is not.  I have to put up with all of your protests and riots.  So if you don't want my help to achieve your goals, which I agree with, then you can go #### yourself".

That is one crazy ##### :lol:
I've seen a handful of white people at the Oakland rallies (in the news), but there have also been robberies and beatings.

We were at a food festival in Jack London Square yesterday and ate lunch near three bicycle cops.  The amount of verbal abuse those guys were taking was unbelievable.  We obviously had to move because of the kids.  Spending the rest of the day answering questions about why people were swearing at them and flipping them off while they were just standing there was not pleasant.

The amount of anger at white people and cops in particular is extremely high.  You would have to be bat#### crazy to physically put yourself in the middle of it.

(HULK) said:
When the Black Lives Matter movement first started, my initial reaction was that is ridiculous, all lives matter equally.

A little bit of time went by and I stopped feeling like that.  About the time the guy who was a caregiver for a mentally disabled teen got shot in the street, I'd simply had enough.  I woke up to that fact that while yes, all lives matter, black lives were simply not being treated with the same respect as white lives.  And it deserves to be more than spotlighted, it needs to be changed.

Then the most recent events, and now I feel angry about this happening.  I've always been a support the police/military kinda guy, but I just can't support the insanity that is happening with our police forces any more.  My reaction right now is basically WTF are they doing?!?!  How is this still happening!?!?

I realize I'm later to the party than I should've been.  But now that I'm here, what can I do to help?  I can figure out how to donate $, I'm talking about what can I actually do to help directly?  TIA.  Any good suggestions, I'll edit into this post for anyone like me who wants to help.

Suggestions:

one suggestion that I'm going to try:  Many city governments have citizen-appointed "boards" or "commissions" that oversee various aspects of the city. In my city, "these bodies compose a formal system through which citizens can advise City Council on all major issues affecting the City."

Find out if your city, has a "policing commission" or "criminal justice oversight board," or something similar.  Get involved in your community's oversight of the police.  Call your city counsel (or county commissioner) and ask to be involved. If you want to make sure police in your city or town don't shoot someone unnecessarily (white OR black), there are definitely ways to make your voice heard in a constructive way.  Maybe it's pushing for more/better training.  Maybe it's pushing for a different type of community policing.  Maybe it's advocating for body cameras.  

But starting with your city council would be a good first step. 

Bed as many black women as possible to help foster a new generation of biracial kids so there is no more black vs white. Expand the cause to yellow lives matter in phase 2.
As a plus, you'll probably have a really talented, good looking kid.....(see Alicia Keys, Drake, Jordan Sparks, etc. etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread