What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty trade: D. Murray for Gordon? (1 Viewer)

Crazysight

Footballguy
I was recently offered Melvin Gordon for Demarco Murray in my dynasty league. The pros of acquiring Gordon is that he is a good 5 years younger than Murray, and my team could use added youth as it has only one offensive player under 25 who is a "must start" type right now.  This trade would also hedge against a serious injury to a player like Murray, who at 28 1/2 would lose basically all his value if he sustained a major injury at this stage.  The cons: This trade would likely hurt my chances to contend for a title in the next two years, as my team is one of the top ones in the league right now. Murray is essentially matchup proof at this point due to his effectiveness and contributions as both a runner and receiver.  I also don't know if I should be sold on Gordon to begin with, who looked good in his first two games but  then ran for barely two yards per carry last night against a Colt's defense that is considered to be weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't think Murray is "matchup proof".  And Gordon is a solid option this year....maybe Murray will be slightly better, but I think I would do that trade.  Derrick Henry is going to continue to be in the mix for carries which limits Murray's upside.  Not saying that Murray isn't a good option this year....he is.  I don't think Gordon will hurt your chances for a title this year, and he's a lot younger.

So far Murray has been, as seen in week 1 against a very stout Minnesota defense.  The titans couldnt get much going on the ground, but Murray compensated with receiving yardage, including two receiving toichdowns.  Thanks for your take though.  It is pretty tempting given the age difference.

that's a very valid point. I think the crux of the trade is just how good is Gordon/how sold on  him should I be?  Is he the back he seemed to be for the first two weeks and preseason, or closer to what we saw as a rookie?

I wouldn't necessarily gauge him on what he looked like last year or even week to week. I would base it on the fact that he is younger and the opportunity/touches in front of him. Even if you trade for him this year, that's almost a plus (in a counter-argument to Murray) because who is challenging him for backfield touches? You could argue McCluster but he's not stealing that many looks. He looks like a completely different RB this year than last year (let's remember he was still a rookie trying to adjust to NFL speed last year) and I think he's in a good spot in both the short- and long-term.

I would jump on that.  Things have been looking good so far but Henry is a real threat in my mind and at his age he will lose value dramatically in the near future.

I think I make that trade as quick is you can.  Murray will start to lose more and more to Henry as the season goes.  Gordon is the only guy in SD now and will have a whole year to prove he can be the top guy. 

Users who are viewing this thread