What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buy low \ Sell high week 4 (1 Viewer)

Julio would be a great buy low target if anyone was really selling.  Just not happening in any league I'm aware of!

Julio would be a great buy low target if anyone was really selling.  Just not happening in any league I'm aware of!
Same with Benjamin

A buy low that I like is Tyler Lockett. You might be able to wait that owner out until he outright releases him with Wilson ailing and Graham back. I am not sure that offense can support starting 3 receiving options in fantasy with their running game going so well, but I think Lockett is a great candidate to see his use increase as Seattle looks to figure out their offense. 

If someone offered me Cooper / Hilton / Thomas I would move Freeman. I won't be shopping him but I would love to get offers. He's a stud, but Coleman takes away too much of his value.

Buy low, Julio Jones.  

Sell high, Marvin Jones.
What do you think you could get for him and where do you expect him to rank RoS? He's on pace for 155 targets. Stafford is on pace for 640 attempts which seems high until you realize his 5 year average is 644.

I don't think too many Marvin owners are anxious to move the #1 player in FF. Let it ride. He's the clear number one in that offense. We knew that this summer but people still kept drafting Tate 20 picks before him.

Julio Jones

Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham

Sammy Watkins

Deandre Hopkins

Antonio Brown

Virtually all of the "elite" WRs are disappointing.  Based on your league, now might be the time to pounce.  

Julio Jones

Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham

Sammy Watkins

Deandre Hopkins

Antonio Brown

Virtually all of the "elite" WRs are disappointing.  Based on your league, now might be the time to pounce.  
I don't think 12-140 or WR3 through 3 is killing AB owners. One off week was not unexpected, he'll ascend to his rightful place before Halloween.

I don't think too many Marvin owners are anxious to move the #1 player in FF. Let it ride. He's the clear number one in that offense. We knew that this summer but people still kept drafting Tate 20 picks before him.
To be fair, the signs weren't there until very late. It was pure speculation prior to that. Personally, I felt there would be <10 targets separating them, so given the price difference Marvin was the easy choice. Even in the subscriber contest (compiled early August) they were $19 (WR21) and $12 (WR43). I definitely took that bargain.

But overall, I agree with your point. I don't think many owners are looking to sell. He should be top 12 RoS given his usage (# targets, aDoT), so unless someone is willing to pay out the nose, I can't see many trades going down.

Julio Jones

Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham

Sammy Watkins

Deandre Hopkins

Antonio Brown

No one is trading Jones, Beckham, Hopkins, Brown. You might be able to get Watkins or Cooks but you'll have to give up a lot. Those owners still have a high draft pick invested into them and they aren't going to trade them away for nothing. 

If you have Marvin Jones on the block you can probably get Cooks, Watkins, Hopkins but not the other 3. Maybe Jones in a multi player deal. But I really don't see Jones falling off the face of the earth. He's a top 10 WR ROS... If you can trade him and a good RB for Brown more power to you but I really don't think the Brown owner is willing to let him go. On a great day Brown produces like 2 WR1s...

Eddie Lacy is a buy low.  He is averaging 5.0 YPC this year but just hasn't scored yet.  They are committed to him and he looks much better than last year.  The TDs are coming.

I like Jeremy Maclin as a buy low.  He is not a sexy FF name so can usually be had for cheap and is a very consistent WR2.  He still leads KC in targets by a wide margin.  After PIT and then a week 5 bye, there's some real juice coming up with OAK, NO, IND, JAC.  Only caveat is they play DEN in wk 16 if you are into that sort of thing.

Fleener might be a sell high after a great stat night last night.  I just don't have a better option than him. :bag:

Jordan Reed a buy low.  The target share mirrors last year..all that's missing are the TDs and they will come.

Julio Jones

Brandin Cooks

Odell Beckham

Sammy Watkins

Deandre Hopkins

Antonio Brown

In ppr AB = WR3, Cooks = WR12, and Hopkins = WR14.

Given the new competition for targets, I wouldn't bother trying to acquire Hopkins or OBJ. OBJ is still getting 10 targets/game, but the red zone targets are not there (1 through 3 games, vs. 19 in 15 games last year). Shepard has 2 and Cruz has 2. Eli no longer needs to force it to OBJ. Hopkins has zero red zone targets through 3 games, vs. 30 last year in 16 games.

To be fair, the signs weren't there until very late. It was pure speculation prior to that. Personally, I felt there would be <10 targets separating them, so given the price difference Marvin was the easy choice. Even in the subscriber contest (compiled early August) they were $19 (WR21) and $12 (WR43). I definitely took that bargain.

But overall, I agree with your point. I don't think many owners are looking to sell. He should be top 12 RoS given his usage (# targets, aDoT), so unless someone is willing to pay out the nose, I can't see many trades going down.
Agree.  Marvin Jones owners should just enjoy the ride.  He can't keep up this pace, but he's a top 15 WR going forward IMO.

If someone offered me Cooper / Hilton / Thomas I would move Freeman. I won't be shopping him but I would love to get offers. He's a stud, but Coleman takes away too much of his value.
This all day.  Coleman is going to be a legit RB2/flex option going forward and it's going to kill Freeman's upside.

Last night is the best game Freeman (and Coleman) are going to have all year.

I know I have a minority opinion on this one--but I wanted to choose players where there actually could be a legit opportunity to "buy low".  What I mean by this is that owners of this player would actually be willing to let them go at reasonable prices.   I don't think any good fantasy owners are going to let julio, Deandre, odb, and Antonio go for decently low prices this early.  However--the two names that I think of are Randall Cobb and a couple qbs (Carson Palmer and Eli Manning). 

Green Bay had lots of things to fix after the first two weeks. Rodgers didn't look right, Lacy wasn't being utilized properly, Jordy didn't look right and said his legs felt heavy..etc..  Week 3--they focused on righting some of those major issues.  Now that those things have been addressed--I do think that one of the next steps would be to get Cobb more involved in order to make that offense more dynamic.  As a Cobb owner in a league--I can also tell you that I personally am very frustrated by how he has started the season. While I am patient and would hold until a good offer comes along---I'm sure there are many Cobb owners out there that would sell at a discount. 

Eli/Carson Palmer--I think both of these guys have top 10-12 fantasy qb talent--but are vastly underperforming.   I think it's just a matter of time for these guys to start putting up some good numbers.  If the owners of these guys have decent backup qbs in your league--I think you can and should target these players as they could probably acquired for a pretty good price.  

TBH, as an OBJ owner I'd be more likely to sell now than at any other time.  He'll still cost a lot, but I might consider trading him for Cooper + something decent but less than before the season.  It's a contract league and he has one season less than Cooper, Parker or others, although his salary is still great (rookie contract).  

I'm thinking now might be a great time to deal for Watkins.  Owners have to be frustrated and I imagine you can get him for pennies on the dollar.  

I'm thinking now might be a great time to deal for Watkins.  Owners have to be frustrated and I imagine you can get him for pennies on the dollar.  
As a Buffalo homer, I stay away. I don't think he'll be right all season.  Rumblings that the only way to truly fix it is re-break and Watkins is terrible with pain management.

As a Buffalo homer, I stay away. I don't think he'll be right all season.  Rumblings that the only way to truly fix it is re-break and Watkins is terrible with pain management.
ugh...that's not good.  I was just thinking that about last year and how he was at the same spot at this point and he finished like a stud. 

Can you guys provide a starting point for some of the suggested offers..  Obviously Im thinking "OH MY" when i see specific names like Julio Jones!

Marvin should have a fantastic year, especially with no running game..

IF you were able to get Brown and/or Beckham?  Ya would have to think you stole from a challenged person (their names are all over NFL media)

A Win may be a Win, but ya should want some challenge, resembling a sporting match, in my book..

i'm the freeman owner

got an offer of cooks & coleman for gronk and michael floyd

hate to give up gronk but i'm def considering

Is Graham available? I would consider that heavily if you could land Graham off WW
he's not but i picked up pitta and tamme last week cause i wasn't sure how long gronk would be out. so i'm rolling w 3 tight ends right now :)  worst thing is i started gronk, got the 0 and lost by 2 points last week so pitta or tamme would have won it for me

I know I have a minority opinion on this one--but I wanted to choose players where there actually could be a legit opportunity to "buy low".  What I mean by this is that owners of this player would actually be willing to let them go at reasonable prices.   I don't think any good fantasy owners are going to let julio, Deandre, odb, and Antonio go for decently low prices this early.  However--the two names that I think of are Randall Cobb and a couple qbs (Carson Palmer and Eli Manning). 

Green Bay had lots of things to fix after the first two weeks. Rodgers didn't look right, Lacy wasn't being utilized properly, Jordy didn't look right and said his legs felt heavy..etc..  Week 3--they focused on righting some of those major issues.  Now that those things have been addressed--I do think that one of the next steps would be to get Cobb more involved in order to make that offense more dynamic.  As a Cobb owner in a league--I can also tell you that I personally am very frustrated by how he has started the season. While I am patient and would hold until a good offer comes along---I'm sure there are many Cobb owners out there that would sell at a discount. 

Eli/Carson Palmer--I think both of these guys have top 10-12 fantasy qb talent--but are vastly underperforming.   I think it's just a matter of time for these guys to start putting up some good numbers.  If the owners of these guys have decent backup qbs in your league--I think you can and should target these players as they could probably acquired for a pretty good price.  
Agree- Cobb also has a Week 4 bye which could help.

I tried Cobb for Deangelo and Dorsett or Lockett

He countered Cobb and Desean Jackson for Maclin and Deangelo.

ugh...that's not good.  I was just thinking that about last year and how he was at the same spot at this point and he finished like a stud. 
Yeah. Buffalo homers, what is different about this year over last?  Im holding because of the potential he showed last year when healthy.  Is it unreasonable to expect him to get healthy this year?  It seemed that way last year too but he put it together at the end of the season.

I'm holding on Sammy. no one will pay anything for him.  rather just stash him like he's out 6-8 and hope he comes alive late

Yeah. Buffalo homers, what is different about this year over last?  Im holding because of the potential he showed last year when healthy.  Is it unreasonable to expect him to get healthy this year?  It seemed that way last year too but he put it together at the end of the season.
that's my thought process....with byes, other injuries and the Watkins uncertainty you might be able to get him for pennies on the dollar.

It's the foot, it's a hard injury to play through, the screw inserted is giving him problems and rubbing. It's strictly pain tolerance and tough for him.  Often they need to re-break the foot and try again. He got stepped through in walk-through last week and made him more sore.  If he plays he'll struggle to go 4-40-0 - I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it this year.

If you want to get out from under Gurley(I do) I think this has to be the week.

What are some trade ideas you would float?

Thinking KB, Brandon Marshall. 

It's the foot, it's a hard injury to play through, the screw inserted is giving him problems and rubbing. It's strictly pain tolerance and tough for him.  Often they need to re-break the foot and try again. He got stepped through in walk-through last week and made him more sore.  If he plays he'll struggle to go 4-40-0 - I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it this year.
In my experience about 80% of people with hardware in their feet/ankles have it removed at some point because it causes problems. Not surprised. Stayed away from him for this very reason.

My guess is he plays through it this year and has offseason surgery. Unless it gets so bad and the season is a wash they just shut him down week 10 for the year

In my experience about 80% of people with hardware in their feet/ankles have it removed at some point because it causes problems. Not surprised. Stayed away from him for this very reason.

My guess is he plays through it this year and has offseason surgery. Unless it gets so bad and the season is a wash they just shut him down week 10 for the year
I agree.  It's been so very strange, he tweeted Saturday he was playing, then the Bills said he's out early Sunday morning, Sammy then deletes tweet.  They said he was a game time decision and made that decision hours before kickoff.

Arob, Jordy, possibly Mike Evans (although I don't see the Evans owner likely to take that)..etc.. In response to the post above.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys should get on that Cobb business..  Seriously been thinking about cutting ties.  

Guy was on my bn, but I got Rookies offering more on my bn

Speaking of ARob, I think Bortles could be a good buy low.

He's obviously not playing well, but there are a lot of solid options in the passing game and the running game is not doing much to balance things. Plus, offseason talk of the improved defense this year cutting into Bortles' production seems to be just that - talk.

As a non Gurley owner, I am not touching him.  You get a WR1 the likes of which you guys are mentioning more power to you.  He is Isaiah Crowell with maybe a few more TDs.

Guys should get on that Cobb business..  Seriously been thinking about cutting ties.  

Guy was on my bn, but I got Rookies offering more on my bn
Come again?  :confused:

I am not entirely sure Cobb is a good buy low. What were you guys expecting from Cobb? WR1? He should have been drafted as a low end WR2 and that's about where he stands... 
He gets about 6-8 targets a game, and averages a TD every 3 games (last year- with 3 TDs coming in one game- without Jordy!). He is basically the 2016 version of Chad Johnson; he will explode 2 maybe 3 games a year otherwise he will give you 5/50 the rest. He will give you some decent WR2/3 stats in PPR but in standard leagues he is TD dependant. He won't go over 100 yards (did so only once last year) and rarely scores. As a Packer fan, my assessment of him is that he is a decent receiver with star potential but just doesn't get it done in fantasy. I would stay away from him at all costs IMO

In PPR Cobb is a good option at WR2/flex. 8 targets a game and *almost* guaranteed to get about 10+ points a week. 

You're not really going to get him cheap because he is going to come at flex value and that's about all he has... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy low on Jennings ? 

Didnt spark first two games, has a slight injury just now but Vereen is gone for season, he should be back real soon and you have to feel he'll go on a very good stretch at some point. 

As a non Gurley owner, I am not touching him.  You get a WR1 the likes of which you guys are mentioning more power to you.  He is Isaiah Crowell with maybe a few more TDs.
Positional scarcity.   Even with Gurleys slow start--most people would have a hard time naming 5-7 RB's that they would want to own ROS over him.   That alone makes him an RB1.     An RB1 is worth a solid WR1 in a trade.   If you believe Gurley is Crowell with a few more tds--my point of view is that this should make Crowell a prime guy to target in a trade---rather than it being a knock on Gurley. 

Speaking of ARob, I think Bortles could be a good buy low.

He's obviously not playing well, but there are a lot of solid options in the passing game and the running game is not doing much to balance things. Plus, offseason talk of the improved defense this year cutting into Bortles' production seems to be just that - talk.
I think you brought up a good one--and adding this to my earlier post---I think there are lots of qb's that could be considered buy lows. Manning, Bortles, Palmer, Wilson, even Big Ben to a certain extent, possibly Cousins could all be candidates.  It all depends on which backup qb's  the owners of these guys have.

Positional scarcity.   Even with Gurleys slow start--most people would have a hard time naming 5-7 RB's that they would want to own ROS over him.   That alone makes him an RB1.     An RB1 is worth a solid WR1 in a trade.   If you believe Gurley is Crowell with a few more tds--my point of view is that this should make Crowell a prime guy to target in a trade---rather than it being a knock on Gurley. 
Just traded Tyrell Williams for Crowell. Couldn't be happier. 

I think you brought up a good one--and adding this to my earlier post---I think there are lots of qb's that could be considered buy lows. Manning, Bortles, Palmer, Wilson, even Big Ben to a certain extent, possibly Cousins could all be candidates.  It all depends on which backup qb's  the owners of these guys have.
As a Bortles owner I wouldn't sell him low. He had a bad game last week but still produced fairly well. Week 2 he played terribly but scored 20+ points. The big thing with Bortles is he can play terrible and still score you 20 points. Not many QBs can do that. If I were to trade Bortles, and I wish I could- I have Brady coming back soon- I would ask for a RB2 or package with a WR2 for a WR1. I'm not sure that constitutes buy low. Maybe I'm over-valuing him with his poor play, but people who own him aren't really hurting if they have to start him. He is still doing fairly well. QB in my league, and I am of the opinion he is a top 10 QB (lower end). So yeah I guess you could buy low but I'm not entirely certain what you'd be able to get him for

I drafted Sammy last year and was fed up and traded him for an injured Dez. That backfired. So I did it again this year, and same story. He had a poor start last year. If the Bills shut him down for a few weeks to heal, he may have a shot at salvaging the 2nd half of his season. There is always something with this guy. The passing offense looks much worse than it did last year. If I could get something reasonable for him I would do it. 

Cobb x 2.

Week 1 - focused on the run, rough game in the heat

Week 2 - CAR v MIN showed exactly how dominant VIK defense is this year... no surprise Cobb had a rough game.

Week 3 - Got up huge early and unfortunately Cobb didn't get a piece ... went into hibernation 2nd half, only ran 50 offensive plays total all game.

Going forward? Cook has a high ankle sprain. He's out of the picture which leaves Cobb owning the middle. Given Jordy is back, defenses are going to key on him more.  Adams showed he can do work against single coverage so half the teams can't leave him on an island. GB's schedule is cake for pretty much the rest of the season after the bye, and the bye might make people more willing to sell. Overall, Cobb is the most buy-low candidate in fantasy right now.

Users who are viewing this thread