What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (8 Viewers)

Would you rather have Fournette or the best rookie RB @ 1.01, though?
I'd rather have the first pick every time.  Fournette is a yeoman, but 1 gets you a shot at a special rb.

I start to seriously consider the trade at some point between 3-7 depending on where the top rbs go and what needs the teams drafting in my league have.  I can see three rbs and three wrs getting picked in that group in a jumbled order in pretty much every draft.

Doesn't make much sense to me.  KC rbs need good hands and Gordon is a simply OK catcher.
I actually kind of agree with you from the times I have seen Gordon play with the Chargers which isn't a lot but he has averaged about 45 catches per season in his career and has caught 3.34 passes per game. Not an elite pass catcher but decent.

Anyone have any 2020 ADP data on startups?  There has to be some crazy people out there doing startups already right?  

Diggs vs OBJ... how far apart do you have these 2? 
I still believe OBJ can be dominant like he was. I would bet against it but I can see it. He is someone I would buy at the right price. Diggs just doesn't get me excited at all so I'm not targeting him. But I could be talked into it. I assume they're probably both about even on the market. 

DTC has OBJ at 33.4 and Diggs at 24.4

The 2.03 closes the gap per their calculator but I don't think that would be enough for me. IDK I've never actually owned either one except in redraft.

After reading the last weeks worth of comments, I think everyone is underestimating the “value” of the draft picks in this draft. Perhaps I should say “perceived value.” I’ve found a very cold market, people see a deep draft and think that 2.08 they have is worth a top 10 pick. It will only get worse between now and April. 

Diggs vs OBJ... how far apart do you have these 2? 
I still rank OBJ quite a bit higher than diggs.  

Redraft, best ball we just had OBJ go in the late 2nd, diggs in the 3rd. Which is pretty close to where I'd rank them in dynasty. 

My prediction for free agency is Melvin Gordon to KC. No real reasoning behind it other than I think it would create a ton of buzz for fantasy football players. Could Gordon want to stay in the AFC West?
I'd bet Gordon would want to play for the best team in the league with a great coach.

But I don't think they want him unless it's cheap. 

It's hard to tell with him, or any running back on the market, especially with a few high quality backs in the draft. But I think Washington (depending on ADP) and Detroit actually make some sense but he wouldn't be a true lead back in either spot (more of an even split)

DTC has this even... I'm not sure what I think... been negotiating quite a bit 

give: 1.9, Trubisky, 3.11, 2021 3rd

get: Kareem Hunt, 2.4, 2021 2nd 
DLF has this one heavily in favor of the Hunt side. For me, really comes down to the rookies you're looking at dropping from 1.09 to 2.04. 

Putting names to those picks, per ADP, it looks like this...

Tee Higgins, Trubisky, Cole Kmet, 2021 3rd
for

Hunt, AJ Dillon, 2021 2nd

I still think I'd prefer to hold that pick a little longer.

After reading the last weeks worth of comments, I think everyone is underestimating the “value” of the draft picks in this draft. Perhaps I should say “perceived value.” I’ve found a very cold market, people see a deep draft and think that 2.08 they have is worth a top 10 pick. It will only get worse between now and April. 
I can't help but think you're right. I've been thinking something similar. However, I have been sort of shuffling names up and down my board since the combine and since certain guys have hit my radar, and I'm seeing a deep draft. IDK. You're probably right re: 2.08 but some of those middle picks there look really good. You're definitely right that the hype will only get worse, though. Just for posterity here is my current list, always subject to revision:

1.01 TAYLOR

1.02 SWIFT

1.03 AKERS

1.04 JEUDY

1.05 LAMB

1.06 DOBBINS

1.07 JEFFERSON

1.08 CEH

1.09 RUGGS

1.10 HIGGINS

1.11 REAGOR

1.12 MIMS

2.01 SHENAULT

2.02 BURROWS

2.03 CLAYPOOL

2.04 MOSS

2.05 DILLON

2.06 PITTMAN JR

2.07 AIYUK

2.08 TUA

2.09 BRYANT

2.10 HODGINS

2.11 MCFARLAND

2.12 BRYAN EDWARDS

3.01 HERBERT

3.02 BENJAMIN

3.03 TYLER JOHNSON

3.04 VAUGHN

3.05 DPJ

I can't help but think you're right. I've been thinking something similar. However, I have been sort of shuffling names up and down my board since the combine and since certain guys have hit my radar, and I'm seeing a deep draft. IDK. You're probably right re: 2.08 but some of those middle picks there look really good.
My take is the draft is very deep at WR, ok at RB but I expect massive run on them early and awful looking at TE. I only play one QB FFPC and don't really value any of them much, might if Tua looks healthy enough to play next year.

So to me at that 2.8 range I think in most drafts you either will be drafting WR's or reaching for a RB/TE. If you need or like drafting WR's the second and a little later is pretty valuable this year, otherwise it's pretty meh.

This has actually factored into my decision on how I've shaped some of my off-season rosters. Just a little more inclined to hold onto or acquire RB or TE more then normal, if not for me then trade bait.

Some experts of course label this the best WR class since they've scouted. I think it's going to be pretty hard to beat 2014 in both actual performance and how we value them in our rookie drafts. But if they do beat or reach that level then you'll probably see the value of say, 2.8 more valuable then any draft since. I just recall that draft and you had in various leagues WR's like Allen Robinson, Kelvin Benjamin,  who would go around 11-12 in one draft and last till late 2 in another draft. That draft I was OTC with pick 2.7 and was actually about to draft Mark Ingram, who had been cut. Someone offered me their 2015 first instead and I took it. They drafted Allen Robinson so hard to say they made a mistake.

My take is the draft is very deep at WR, ok at RB but I expect massive run on them early and awful looking at TE. I only play one QB FFPC and don't really value any of them much, might if Tua looks healthy enough to play next year.

So to me at that 2.8 range I think in most drafts you either will be drafting WR's or reaching for a RB/TE. If you need or like drafting WR's the second and a little later is pretty valuable this year, otherwise it's pretty meh.

This has actually factored into my decision on how I've shaped some of my off-season rosters. Just a little more inclined to hold onto or acquire RB or TE more then normal, if not for me then trade bait.

Some experts of course label this the best WR class since they've scouted. I think it's going to be pretty hard to beat 2014 in both actual performance and how we value them in our rookie drafts. But if they do beat or reach that level then you'll probably see the value of say, 2.8 more valuable then any draft since. I just recall that draft and you had in various leagues WR's like Allen Robinson, Kelvin Benjamin,  who would go around 11-12 in one draft and last till late 2 in another draft. That draft I was OTC with pick 2.7 and was actually about to draft Mark Ingram, who had been cut. Someone offered me their 2015 first instead and I took it. They drafted Allen Robinson so hard to say they made a mistake.
It’s a good draft class and it’s deep, so there will be some stud players in this draft, and there will be a lot of disappointment as well. I’ll predict we see a lot of player for pick trades in the forum that have the value on the player side.

I find myself in the opposite end of the spectrum and I am having mixed emotions on it.  I traded away all my 2020 picks to make a playoff push in 2019 (Lost championship due to poor lineup selection - QB).   I am only mildly following the rookies as I don't have any picks, but I just don't see any of my Top players being offered in return for picks.  

It's like I can look at the Rookie Rankings without bias since I don't have a pick to see who might/will be available when I select... 

But Why would I give up on my core players who got me to the title game for an unknown commodity on an unknown team?  I tried to build my team to be competitive long term.  Yeah, the new rookies are all the bells & whistles of the new class, but they have not done anything yet....  so for now, I can sit back and watch the chaos of trades.  

Sure, I could become infatuated with a player or see value in a certain round, but it's hard for me to get anxious to give up talent for uncertainty. 

I find myself in the opposite end of the spectrum and I am having mixed emotions on it.  I traded away all my 2020 picks to make a playoff push in 2019 (Lost championship due to poor lineup selection - QB).   I am only mildly following the rookies as I don't have any picks, but I just don't see any of my Top players being offered in return for picks.  

It's like I can look at the Rookie Rankings without bias since I don't have a pick to see who might/will be available when I select... 

But Why would I give up on my core players who got me to the title game for an unknown commodity on an unknown team?  I tried to build my team to be competitive long term.  Yeah, the new rookies are all the bells & whistles of the new class, but they have not done anything yet....  so for now, I can sit back and watch the chaos of trades.  

Sure, I could become infatuated with a player or see value in a certain round, but it's hard for me to get anxious to give up talent for uncertainty. 
This is the exact reason why I think picks are overvalued in general.  It takes way too much to get them for a dart throw.  Some hit, most don't.  I would rather have the players that have shown they can do it in the NFL already. 

This is why I actually don't mind trading down (especially after the first 20 picks) and either trading back in the present year draft or trading for the following year picks to pick up extra picks. More darts to throw. I personally prefer trading say a 2020 pick for two picks in 2021 because you usually don't have to trade back too far because you are willing to wait a year.

Maybe I wasn’t clear- I think if you offered a draft pick for a player you can pull a very good veteran. You will have to overpay to get a draft pick this year because of “perceived value.” You can likely get a solid return for say pick 1.06, and there will be some draft picks that disappoint. Last years picks were “worthless.” Vets that might pull a late 1st most years can be had for a 2nd this year, and  guys like Marvin Jones can probably be had for rd 3/4 (speculation.) Last year you couldn’t get rid of a late first for anything. 

What value I'd have him at is a late 1st, and probably not even that.  

What value other people have him at is a game of roulette, as you can see. 

I dont understand how he is valued so low. Which rookie RB likely available pick 9-12, or later, would you rather have? CEH? Moss? Maybe... but I'd argue Hunt has a much more realistic path to being a top 5 RB someday than those 2. Hunts floor is higher as we know what it is and how he can be effectively used. 
I will disagree about Hunt's floor being higher but only due to off the field stuff. His floor is really low. On the field I agree with you Dr. Dan

Maybe I wasn’t clear- I think if you offered a draft pick for a player you can pull a very good veteran. You will have to overpay to get a draft pick this year because of “perceived value.” You can likely get a solid return for say pick 1.06, and there will be some draft picks that disappoint. Last years picks were “worthless.” Vets that might pull a late 1st most years can be had for a 2nd this year, and  guys like Marvin Jones can probably be had for rd 3/4 (speculation.) Last year you couldn’t get rid of a late first for anything. 
I believe I understood your point of offering up a valuable rookie pick in exchange for a known vet and I believe it is in the majority right now with all the hype circling the draft.  I was just looking at it from the other side....  I don't want to offer a known proven player for an unknown rookie.  I agree there are a multitude of players I could trade for picks... but clear starters are hard to offer up when they are part of the core lineup. 

In a nut shell... I would not be willing to part with a Top 36 Player (say Ridley, Kupp, or Metcalf) for a Top 12 pick unless they were surplus on my roster depth.  

I can't help but think you're right. I've been thinking something similar. However, I have been sort of shuffling names up and down my board since the combine and since certain guys have hit my radar, and I'm seeing a deep draft. IDK. You're probably right re: 2.08 but some of those middle picks there look really good. You're definitely right that the hype will only get worse, though. Just for posterity here is my current list, always subject to revision:

1.01 TAYLOR

1.02 SWIFT

1.03 AKERS

1.04 JEUDY

1.05 LAMB

1.06 DOBBINS

1.07 JEFFERSON

1.08 CEH

1.09 RUGGS

1.10 HIGGINS

1.11 REAGOR

1.12 MIMS

2.01 SHENAULT

2.02 BURROWS

2.03 CLAYPOOL

2.04 MOSS

2.05 DILLON

2.06 PITTMAN JR

2.07 AIYUK

2.08 TUA

2.09 BRYANT

2.10 HODGINS

2.11 MCFARLAND

2.12 BRYAN EDWARDS

3.01 HERBERT

3.02 BENJAMIN

3.03 TYLER JOHNSON

3.04 VAUGHN

3.05 DPJ
In superflex I'm thrilled to have a bunch of picks between 12-20 

Even in regular leagues this draft looks good. But to see CEH and ruggs should be there at 12-13 is impressive

Most years, the savvy dynasty owners try to trade current picks for future higher picks. Almost always, if you can get a future 1st for a current 2nd, you'd do it. 

But this year - would you? 

I'd think clearly if you think the first is going to be high you'd still do it, but what about with a strong team? A random pick? 

Maybe it's over hyped but this year's WR, RB and QBs look deep as I can recall. 

Most years, the savvy dynasty owners try to trade current picks for future higher picks. Almost always, if you can get a future 1st for a current 2nd, you'd do it. 

I'd think clearly if you think the first is going to be high you'd still do it, but what about with a strong team? A random pick? 

Maybe it's over hyped but this year's WR, RB and QBs look deep as I can recall. 
I’d still do any 2nd for a random future 1st but in past years most would deal a late 1st for a future 1st, I wouldn’t do that this year. 

I sold 2018 rookies and 2019 picks for 2020 picks... and I have now sold many of my 2020 picks for players and some projected higher 2021 picks... 

I dont see the late 1st being much better than prior years. It's better, but not by a ton. The top 6-7 in this draft rival the top 2-3 from last year's draft easily (for me), but the rest just doesn't get me excited after looking at the class more heavily. 

It's a good class, but I would much rather trade a late 1st for players or 2021 picks than take the player. I've put my money where my mouth is having traded all of my 1st round picks 1.8 or later away. The value they hold much exceeds the true value of the rookie
That ceh/ruggs/higgins combo projected at 8-10 would be hard for me to give up on for anything other than a gaurenteed top 3 next year pick.

The draft will really clarify if I want to move any of my firsts at all.

That's the risk... right now there are a lot of believers in Ruggs and CEH. I like Higgins but I have concerns about him. Ruggs is off my board and CEH I'm back and forth on, but mostly down. Personal preferences. 2021 has some major talent in the top 6 comparable to 2020 imo. 
I've already moved Ruggs down about 5 spots since I posted my list two days ago above. And a number of other small changes. But CEH, Higgins, Mims would be awfully hard for me to pass up right now for a future 1st. I hold 1.10 in a couple spots and I think that is the sweet spot for me right now.

I feel like I can answer these kind of questions when I apply to real life scenarios in my leauges.

I have pick 13 in two leagues, pick 2.1.  All my leagues use a draft playoffs with the non-real playoff teams so no such thing as a lock top 2 pick. Best you can get is a pick you feel is a lock non-playoff, top 6 pick, and hope for the best.  I would NOT deal those picks right now for non-playoff lock.

I don't have another second until pick 2.5. I'd deal that right now for a non-playoff looking lock and possibly for a borderline playoff team.

In the end I can't say for sure the difference in 13 vs 17 will be anything of note but after each NFL draft I assign players I give a first round fantasy grade. I've had some drafts that first round grade is over by pick 8. I've had others were I've got one as late as 15. I've never got one as late as 17.

I also have a lot of picks in 11-12 range and for now those are treated like the 2.1.

All of this subject to change after NFL draft and I sort out how many first round grades I give.

There seems to be a pretty wide gap in rankings (mid-20s to 70s) from one outlet to another for a few RBs. Any trades recently involving James Conner, Melvin Gordon, Lev Bell? All 3 are down in value due to performance (Conner/Bell) or FA status for Gordon.

There seems to be a pretty wide gap in rankings (mid-20s to 70s) from one outlet to another for a few RBs. Any trades recently involving James Conner, Melvin Gordon, Lev Bell? All 3 are down in value due to performance (Conner/Bell) or FA status for Gordon.
I moved Mack and a late 2nd for Conner and an early 3rd.

I also moved Rodgers and 2.05 for Conner.

Was offered Conner for a late first and said no.

Conner got traded in one one league of mine and deal was Conner, 3.6, 4.11 for Marquise Brown, 2.9 and 3.2.

I traded Bell but it was part of a bigger deal so hard to gauge his part of that trade but it was Bell, Julio, 2.4 for 1.3, 1.4.

Conner is near the top of my list of buy-low candidates this year. Since I've bought two shares now I'll probably pump the brakes but I like him to rebound big with Ben back this year. I like Juju as well. Never owned Gordon or Bell. Nothing against them but I probably won't get any shares anywhere from here. Until it gets down to a Mark Ingram 2019 level of value, which it might next year. I bought him for 2nds last year and I certainly would for Bell or Gordon if they ever get there (and still look like they have any tread left).  But I do think Conner is in the sweet spot to buy low right now. Obviously it's a risk as the draft and FA are left to go and has been pointed out, the Steelers had a handful of RB visits during the combine. I am not going to spend big, but right now I'm betting Conner is the guy. If he survives FA and the draft intact, expect his price to go up. 

Seems like Bells price is only going to go down. Gordon will probably spike here in a couple weeks when he lands in FA but then he will start to fade. If I was buying an aging vet between the two I take Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also see Conner as a big bounce back candidate. That entire offense floundered hard without Ben and is likely to return to the top, albeit perhaps after knocking some rust off. That was a perennial top 5 offense that should be in the mix for top 10 even with some of the losses at skill positions. 

Gordon is obviously a landing spot guy, at this point. Bell a hold-and-hope type if you've got him (which I do) with a chance for that offense to add a top skill player and maybe take a jump if Darnold can go 16 games and take a step forward in his development. 

Thanks @barackdhouse and @menobrown, I appreciate the input. 

I also see Conner as a big bounce back candidate. That entire offense floundered hard without Ben and is likely to return to the top, albeit perhaps after knocking some rust off. That was a perennial top 5 offense that should be in the mix for top 10 even with some of the losses at skill positions. 

Gordon is obviously a landing spot guy, at this point. Bell a hold-and-hope type if you've got him (which I do) with a chance for that offense to add a top skill player and maybe take a jump if Darnold can go 16 games and take a step forward in his development. 

Thanks @barackdhouse and @menobrown, I appreciate the input. 
I think Big Ben had an enormous impact on the WR's but minimal on Conner.  What impacts Connor's ability to bounce back is  I think mainly his health and to me his injuries are not just luck, has a very upright running style and does not avoid contact. Also don't think the OL is as good as it was in 2018 due to age and loss of Munchak and attention AB got did not hurt either.

Bell could/should get a big boost when Jets aggressively attack the OL position. I think he's a prime back candidate but in terms of dynasty even if he pulls it off he'd be bouncing back at 28 so his value won't soar but can get higher.

Gordon is for sure landing spot specific but you got to figure two things. Wherever he goes he'll get paid fairly well and no team is going to do that without a good role designed for him and most places he might go will have a better OL then what he ran behind last year or so. The big thing to me for his value will be if he's utillized in the passing game like he was the last few years. That to me is the single biggest thing I believe will determine his value.

Here's a guy I haven't been hearing about at all - what do you think of Alvin Kamara?
In terms of his outlook for next year the hold out  risk has me a little concerned but otherwise just feel like his down year was injury related.  Have him as my RB5 next season at moment.

In terms of his future I think he's in an ideal system. Maybe some places he'd get more touches but I like the way he is utilized. So got some worry as they transition from Brees how much that impacts the system with respect to RB targets and again I go back to the contract issue as it's a chance he's not even a Saint in 2021.

Mike Clay on unrestricted free agents and position need.  Top five needs at common fantasy positions below:

QB: Ten, Dal, TB, NE, LAC

RB: Mia, Ten, Hou, TB, KC

WR: NYJ, LV, Dal, Bal, Den

TE: Atl, LAC, Ari, NE, Dal

Def: Mia, Was, Dal, Cin, Jac

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1237383867532640257?s=20
I’m puzzled why more people don’t consider ATL a primo RB spot. Especially if they get rid of Freeman. Of course with 2 seconds I'd imagine they go RB in draft before FA.

I realize I am late to the party here but I wanted to jump in because this is something that I fundamentally disagree with.

Today's rookies are often tomorrow's stars, and today's "known commodities" are often tomorrow's duds.  This becomes exponentially more true once we move beyond the truly elite, 1st round startup type guys.

People drastically underestimate the bust rate of vets and "known commodities".  Just look at the vets available in the 3rd round of startup ADP a mere 2 years ago in August 2018.

Devonta Freeman
Allen Robinson
Travis Kelce
Rob Gronkowski
Corey Davis
Jerrick McKinnon
Jordan Howard
TY Hilton
Brandin Cooks
Adam Thielen
Jarvis Landry

Those names look easy to avoid now, but people were salivating over them at the time.  Again, that is the THIRD ROUND.  Those are the guys whose value is typically that of a very early 1st round rookie pick.  If you go down to the "known commodities" in rounds like the 5th round, which represents guys that are typically worth a mid 1st round rookie pick, the minefield gets even denser.

Every unbeatable team I've ever seen in my dynasty leagues that rests on their laurels and just thinks they are going to ride these guys out for the next 5 years has ended up being a bottom dweller a few years later.  I remember a guy winning the title in one of my high stakes FFPC leagus a few years back with a core of Gurley/Bell/AJG/Demaryius/Julio/Gronk.  He earned the 1.01 pick this year, which of course he no longer owned because he traded it away 2 years ago when he and everyone else assumed that pick would surely be late.

The teams that stay good are the ones that use their assets to continually keep reloading.  People often focus on the high bust rate of rookie picks but everyone ignores the high bust rate of vets.  I haven't actually run the numbers but anecdotally I would guess the bust rate of a random 1st round rookie pick is similar to the bust rate of vets typically available in the 3rd/4th round of startup ADP, yet the actual value of a random 1st round rookie pick is closer to vets in the 6th round of startup ADP range.

And that's just bust rate, or floor.  The ceiling is much much higher for those rookie picks than the 3rd/4th round startup vets and infinitely higher than the 6th round startup vets.  If I go back to Aug 2017 and look at all the vets with startup value in the 3rd through 6th rounds only one of them ever became a top 12 dynasty player.  7 of the top 12 dynasty players right now via ADP were either rookies that year or the following year.

In fact, here is a look at all the vets with ADP in the 3rd-6th round of startup drafts in 2017.

LeSean McCoy
Keenan Allen
Doug Baldwin
Davante Adams
Travis Kelce
Aaron Rodgers
Alshon Jeffery
Jordy Nelson
Jarvis Landry
Demaryius Thomas
Stefon Diggs
Martavis Bryant
Terrelle Pryor
DeMarco Murray
Lamar Miller
Derrick Henry
Andrew Luck
DeVante Parker
Ty Montgomery
Isaiah Crowell
Donte Moncrief
Golden Tate
Jamison Crowder
Michael Crabtree
Willie Snead
Jordan Reed
Ameer Abdullah
Corey Coleman
Carlos Hyde
Russell Wilson
Hunter Henry
Josh Doctson
Tevin Coleman
Tyler Eifert
Cameron Meredith
Kelvin Benjamin
Emmanuel Sanders
Randall Cobb
Jameis Winston
Greg Olsen
Julian Edelman
Marcus Mariota
Spencer Ware
Mike Gillislee

FWIW, the rookies that had 3rd-6th round startup ADP back then were:
Christian McCaffrey
Joe Mixon
Dalvin Cook
Alvin Kamara

Now granted, that was a freakishly good rookie class, but the real focus here is that top list.  Look at how many mines there are in that field.  Is that bust rate really any better than 1st round rookie picks?  Is the likelihood of hitting a ceiling type player even anywhere close?  And again, those are vet picks that trend toward the front end of rookie pick values.

The point is guys like Drake, Lockett, Melvin, Ekeler, Mack, Metcalf, Ridley, etc who seem like they are more "known" right now really aren't.  A bunch of these guys are going to end up being just as useless as Gillislee, Cobb, Meredith, Bryant, Ty Montgomery, etc.  Being "known" only makes them less likely to bust in our minds.  The numbers don't really seem to bear it out except for the truly elite players, and even those often don't last more than a season or two.

I realize I am late to the party here but I wanted to jump in because this is something that I fundamentally disagree with.

Today's rookies are often tomorrow's stars, and today's "known commodities" are often tomorrow's duds.  This becomes exponentially more true once we move beyond the truly elite, 1st round startup type guys.

People drastically underestimate the bust rate of vets and "known commodities".  Just look at the vets available in the 3rd round of startup ADP a mere 2 years ago in August 2018.

Devonta Freeman
Allen Robinson
Travis Kelce
Rob Gronkowski
Corey Davis
Jerrick McKinnon
Jordan Howard
TY Hilton
Brandin Cooks
Adam Thielen
Jarvis Landry

Those names look easy to avoid now, but people were salivating over them at the time.  Again, that is the THIRD ROUND.  Those are the guys whose value is typically that of a very early 1st round rookie pick.  If you go down to the "known commodities" in rounds like the 5th round, which represents guys that are typically worth a mid 1st round rookie pick, the minefield gets even denser.

Every unbeatable team I've ever seen in my dynasty leagues that rests on their laurels and just thinks they are going to ride these guys out for the next 5 years has ended up being a bottom dweller a few years later.  I remember a guy winning the title in one of my high stakes FFPC leagus a few years back with a core of Gurley/Bell/AJG/Demaryius/Julio/Gronk.  He earned the 1.01 pick this year, which of course he no longer owned because he traded it away 2 years ago when he and everyone else assumed that pick would surely be late.

The teams that stay good are the ones that use their assets to continually keep reloading.  People often focus on the high bust rate of rookie picks but everyone ignores the high bust rate of vets.  I haven't actually run the numbers but anecdotally I would guess the bust rate of a random 1st round rookie pick is similar to the bust rate of vets typically available in the 3rd/4th round of startup ADP, yet the actual value of a random 1st round rookie pick is closer to vets in the 6th round of startup ADP range.

And that's just bust rate, or floor.  The ceiling is much much higher for those rookie picks than the 3rd/4th round startup vets and infinitely higher than the 6th round startup vets.  If I go back to Aug 2017 and look at all the vets with startup value in the 3rd through 6th rounds only one of them ever became a top 12 dynasty player.  7 of the top 12 dynasty players right now via ADP were either rookies that year or the following year.

In fact, here is a look at all the vets with ADP in the 3rd-6th round of startup drafts in 2017.

LeSean McCoy
Keenan Allen
Doug Baldwin
Davante Adams
Travis Kelce
Aaron Rodgers
Alshon Jeffery
Jordy Nelson
Jarvis Landry
Demaryius Thomas
Stefon Diggs
Martavis Bryant
Terrelle Pryor
DeMarco Murray
Lamar Miller
Derrick Henry
Andrew Luck
DeVante Parker
Ty Montgomery
Isaiah Crowell
Donte Moncrief
Golden Tate
Jamison Crowder
Michael Crabtree
Willie Snead
Jordan Reed
Ameer Abdullah
Corey Coleman
Carlos Hyde
Russell Wilson
Hunter Henry
Josh Doctson
Tevin Coleman
Tyler Eifert
Cameron Meredith
Kelvin Benjamin
Emmanuel Sanders
Randall Cobb
Jameis Winston
Greg Olsen
Julian Edelman
Marcus Mariota
Spencer Ware
Mike Gillislee

Christian McCaffrey
Joe Mixon
Dalvin Cook
Alvin Kamara

Now granted, that was a freakishly good rookie class, but the real focus here is that top list.  Look at how many mines there are in that field.  Is that bust rate really any better than 1st round rookie picks?  Is the likelihood of hitting a ceiling type player even anywhere close?  And again, those are vet picks that trend toward the front end of rookie pick values.

The point is guys like Drake, Lockett, Melvin, Ekeler, Mack, Metcalf, Ridley, etc who seem like they are more "known" right now really aren't.  A bunch of these guys are going to end up being just as useless as Gillislee, Cobb, Meredith, Bryant, Ty Montgomery, etc.  Being "known" only makes them less likely to bust in our minds.  The numbers don't really seem to bear it out except for the truly elite players, and even those often don't last more than a season or two.

I agree. I think it varies a little from rookie class to class and each vet should be viewed on their own merits but fundamentally I think what you're saying is on point. 

I have a couple dynasty teams that have been dominant for two seasons now and I have every inclination they will be again this year. But by no means am I standing pat. With FFPC in particular it is so difficult to get to 16 sometimes. Moving vets for picks is crucial. But then the conundrum is allowing roster room and time for these rookies to develop. Either way you have to keep churning and looking for value. There are so many *formerly* strong teams in my leagues that never did that and now they're toast.

I think it could be very interesting to compare the bust rate of I would say the top 15 rookie picks with those of 3rd to 6th round startup vets. Over the last decade. Could be eye opening. Hard to ignore that 2017 was a watershed year that blew up depth charts between then and now. But still.

The other factor is if we are talking about vets with some age on them or approaching age versus a rookie you got a situation were if the rookie hits he'll just blow away the value of the veteran. When you look at it that way, and I do, I don't think you need to hit the same percentage of successful rookie picks as you do picks on the veterans. Can hit far less because the hits are bigger since you are hitting on youth.

And another thing that I don't think people take into account enough is when you draft youth/rookies, even when they bust year one,  often the ability to get out from under that and recoup a solid amount of the value back is kind of underrated IMO.

I've not done a startup since 2015, wish I could but need to shed a league before I can add more.  I did two startups that year and in one took rookies in round 1, 2 and 3 and the other took rookies in 2 and 3. Some years the class is bad, and sometimes we miss and one of those rookies I took was in fact a bad miss. But if I did a startup this year I'd venture to guess by round 8 or so half or more of my picks would be rookies.

I really like 2nd and sometimes 3rd year players in startups as well. @FreeBaGeL mentioned Metcalf above, and I'm not trying to nitpick this one name he dropped, but that one seems like a bad example. Dude is *more* likely to hit again because he already has, than a rookie. Guys like McLaurin, Deebo, Slayton, Unicorn, AJ Brown, I think would all fit within the narrative he described above, meaning someone you would want to draft in a startup vs some older productive vets.  I would be curious as to the age of those vets in that big list above at the time of those rookie drafts. They were mostly past their 2nd or 3rd year, no?

Wondering if I can get a price check on Julio Jones. Different sites have him valued wildly differently. I was thinking of moving him from a team that I inherited this year and was curious about what would seem to be a good offering price. One site has him ahead of Chark by quite a bit, the other has Chark ahead because of lifetime value. He and Allen Robinson are comparable on one, disparate again on the other. Any thoughts?  

Devonta Freeman
Allen Robinson
Travis Kelce
Rob Gronkowski
Corey Davis
Jerrick McKinnon
Jordan Howard
TY Hilton
Brandin Cooks
Adam Thielen
Jarvis Landry

LeSean McCoy
Keenan Allen
Doug Baldwin
Davante Adams
Travis Kelce
Aaron Rodgers
Alshon Jeffery
Jordy Nelson
Jarvis Landry
Demaryius Thomas
Stefon Diggs
Martavis Bryant
Terrelle Pryor
DeMarco Murray
Lamar Miller
Derrick Henry
Andrew Luck
DeVante Parker
Ty Montgomery
Isaiah Crowell
Donte Moncrief
Golden Tate
Jamison Crowder
Michael Crabtree
Willie Snead
Jordan Reed
Ameer Abdullah
Corey Coleman
Carlos Hyde
Russell Wilson
Hunter Henry
Josh Doctson
Tevin Coleman
Tyler Eifert
Cameron Meredith
Kelvin Benjamin
Emmanuel Sanders
Randall Cobb
Jameis Winston
Greg Olsen
Julian Edelman
Marcus Mariota
Spencer Ware
Mike Gillislee

Christian McCaffrey
Joe Mixon
Dalvin Cook
Alvin Kamara

What are you considering "busts" of these vet players?  In your 2018 list the only busts I would really consider are Corey Davis and McKinnon.  All the others have gone down a normal progression of losing value as they age.  In 2018 they were mostly good for the value they were taken at. 

In the end going all one way or the other is never going to be a good way to go.  Keeping vets too long without replenishing the talent cupboard is going to lead to a bad season.  I don't value draft picks as high as most.  So for me I get better value to me by trading away and restocking with "younger" vets than the guys that are now diminishing.  It's a constant turn over as I typically only look at 2 yr windows.  Too much changes in windows any longer than that. 

The best approach is using a bit of both sides.  Try finding rookies that can be found later and hit (Kamara, Hunt, etc) that drop in rookie drafts and then perform like studs.  You don't need Barkley to be successful if you have good evaluation skills of existing vets and later rookies.  There is no one way to do it which is why its fun to play. 

Wondering if I can get a price check on Julio Jones. Different sites have him valued wildly differently. I was thinking of moving him from a team that I inherited this year and was curious about what would seem to be a good offering price. One site has him ahead of Chark by quite a bit, the other has Chark ahead because of lifetime value. He and Allen Robinson are comparable on one, disparate again on the other. Any thoughts?  
I think that's pretty much what you get with Julio, some will view him as a premium player and some will view him as someone who's bound to fall off the cliff sooner rather than later.

I think that's pretty much what you get with Julio, some will view him as a premium player and some will view him as someone who's bound to fall off the cliff sooner rather than later.
Thanks. I was reading an interesting dynasty pamphlet from Roto Underworld talking about value and how you're generally going to find value in either rookies or first-year guys or older players. It then talked about using that value while you can instead of dumping it for nothing.

That's sort of where I stand on him. I think a Julio - A. Rob deal should get done. I've seen Julio going for A Rob and Jacobs (nuts, I know, but that's an actual trade listed on Dynasty League Football). A Julio - Chark deal depends on how you feel about Chark. I wouldn't do that deal if I was the Chark owner, but I'm really bullish on him.

Wondering if I can get a price check on Julio Jones. Different sites have him valued wildly differently.
It seems all over the place as you are indicating. I wish I could relay a straight up Julio trade for you but my leagues I've seen him dealt he's part of a package but just looking at his part in the package it sure seems to have a lot of variance.

I got this one league where a new owner took over and started shopping Julio. Been letting it known he'd surrender Julio for over a month on league message board. He offered me Julio for 1.8, I said no. Can't recall my counter but he turned it down saying his goal was to get a 1. Don't think he could get it. In the end just a few days ago he included Julio as part of a package and my thought when I saw the trade was he gave Julio away, trade seemed equitable without his inclusion. Was Miles Sanders, Parris Campbell, Tony Pollard and 1.10 for 1.3, Fant, Julio and James Washington.  I mean I'd honestly take the side that got Julio if he was not included, and this was FFPC so Fant's value increases.

Meanwhile I had a league were someone offered me 1.3, 1.4/Rashaad Penny  for Bell,  Evans, 2.4/Goff. I said no and ended up later that day trading that team Tevin Coleman and Goff for Penny. Next day I had a thought and that was what if I could get them to take Julio instead of Evans and sale him on it was his original offer but basically free Tevin. He took it so I dealt Bell, Julio, 2.4 for 1.3/1.4.

Again hard to dial down exactly Julio's value in those deals but one he seemed like a throw in or less and the other deal he seemed to be a major part of getting pick 3 or 4.

It seems all over the place as you are indicating. I wish I could relay a straight up Julio trade for you but my leagues I've seen him dealt he's part of a package but just looking at his part in the package it sure seems to have a lot of variance.

I got this one league where a new owner took over and started shopping Julio. Been letting it known he'd surrender Julio for over a month on league message board. He offered me Julio for 1.8, I said no. Can't recall my counter but he turned it down saying his goal was to get a 1. Don't think he could get it. In the end just a few days ago he included Julio as part of a package and my thought when I saw the trade was he gave Julio away, trade seemed equitable without his inclusion. Was Miles Sanders, Parris Campbell, Tony Pollard and 1.10 for 1.3, Fant, Julio and James Washington.  I mean I'd honestly take the side that got Julio if he was not included, and this was FFPC so Fant's value increases.

Meanwhile I had a league were someone offered me 1.3, 1.4/Rashaad Penny  for Bell,  Evans, 2.4/Goff. I said no and ended up later that day trading that team Tevin Coleman and Goff for Penny. Next day I had a thought and that was what if I could get them to take Julio instead of Evans and sale him on it was his original offer but basically free Tevin. He took it so I dealt Bell, Julio, 2.4 for 1.3/1.4.

Again hard to dial down exactly Julio's value in those deals but one he seemed like a throw in or less and the other deal he seemed to be a major part of getting pick 3 or 4.
Yeah, DLF has him and Melvin Gordon as having a point advantage over A Rob and Chark (that's Dynasty League Football) and Roto Underworld has that trade as very lopsided in favor of whoever receives A-Rob and Chark. 

It's all over the place, depending on valuation and how strictly the websites adhere to their own dropoff/cliff positions. 

Users who are viewing this thread