What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (7 Viewers)

Depending on cost, Watkins is a good buy candidate. Still has an elite skill set, a qb with an upward trajectory, and better health prognosis. As always, cost matters but IF he were in this incoming WR class, I’d rank him above everyone else, making him worth about a mid first to me. My guess is I’m slightly high on my valuation, so I’d look to offer a pick in the 1.08-1.10 window with the realistic expectation of giving a 1.05 or 1.06 pick.
I think a late first is a fair risk for both sides. If I still owned Sammy and could get the 1.05, honestly I'd jump at that. In my leagues he isn't valued that highly, however, in the dynasty community I still think the perception is out ahead of reality for him. Everyone seems to assume he's an elite talent and he would be a top 5-10 WR if he was just in the right situation, but is that really still the case? I personally don't think so. I see him as a WR2 with some upside but plenty of risk as well. "Buy low" if you want, there are worse things to do I guess, but if he has another bad season his value will tank. 

Ack88 said:
Depending on cost, Watkins is a good buy candidate. Still has an elite skill set, a qb with an upward trajectory, and better health prognosis. As always, cost matters but IF he were in this incoming WR class, I’d rank him above everyone else, making him worth about a mid first to me. My guess is I’m slightly high on my valuation, so I’d look to offer a pick in the 1.08-1.10 window with the realistic expectation of giving a 1.05 or 1.06 pick.
In my leagues, the Watkins owners still value him as super elite & want a small ransom for him. Hard pass.

I think a late first is a fair risk for both sides. If I still owned Sammy and could get the 1.05, honestly I'd jump at that. In my leagues he isn't valued that highly, however, in the dynasty community I still think the perception is out ahead of reality for him. Everyone seems to assume he's an elite talent and he would be a top 5-10 WR if he was just in the right situation, but is that really still the case? I personally don't think so. I see him as a WR2 with some upside but plenty of risk as well. "Buy low" if you want, there are worse things to do I guess, but if he has another bad season his value will tank. 
I don't think I'd jump at 1.05, at least until after the draft, but that's probably right.  

In my leagues, the Watkins owners still value him as super elite & want a small ransom for him. Hard pass.
As an owner, I just don't want to trade a guy I think can be elite and then see him blow up for the other team.  At least without getting near his upside in the trade.  He's almost untradeable right now.  Not because he's so elite, but because we think he can be and the loss aversion risk is real. 

No, 1 QB.  I have Brady and Mariota.
You realize this must be an outlier. A QB who has proven nothing for a guy who has talent and shown he can Perform (probably 4th round startup) and a high performing TE. Great deal for you. Doubt you could get those two for most top QBs

What's the current value of some of the aging TE's like Jimmy Graham,Delanie Walker, Greg Olsen?? If you were rebuilding what would you take pick wise??
I'm a rebuilding team in a Zealots league and around midseason I was offered Graham for what was likely, and turned out to be, the 3.12.  I didn't have any use for him due to his age, but figured I could hold him for a week or two and flip him to a contender for a 2018 2nd.  None of the contenders bit on the offers or countered.  I then offered him to everyone with a third round pick.  He's still sitting on my roster.

What's the current value of some of the aging TE's like Jimmy Graham,Delanie Walker, Greg Olsen?? If you were rebuilding what would you take pick wise??
Tough to answer.

I'm going to assume this is FFPC and if it's not forget everything I'm about to say.

I'd just sit on Jimmy G until FA sorts itself out. A new landing spot for him will be followed by some nice puff pieces and that's a better  time to move him IMO.  Would the Saints be interested in getting him back? Will he return to Miami? I'd hold and see.

I'd take a solid second for Delanie, mid to late . Late gets it done if I need roster room.

Olsen just got arguably  best TE OC in the business. Norv protege Rob Chudzinski was the OC who was there when Olsen first broke out. I'd use that when selling him now but would have to have a pick in high second at least  to move him now. Even on a rebuilding team, due in large part to Norv, I'd just as well sit on him till next season instead of what might be selling low. Roster space might be a factor but he might be worth more later.

You realize this must be an outlier. A QB who has proven nothing for a guy who has talent and shown he can Perform (probably 4th round startup) and a high performing TE. Great deal for you. Doubt you could get those two for most top QBs
No complaints from me!  And that was before he won those games at the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
What veteran receivers do people consider equal in value to 2018 1.01? I expect Barkely to be a special talent.  

Yes or No?

Odell Beckham

Deandre Hopkins

Julio Jones

Davante Adams

Anyone else?

What veteran receivers do people consider equal in value to 2018 1.01? I expect Barkely to be a special talent.  

Yes or No?

Odell Beckham

Deandre Hopkins

Julio Jones

Davante Adams

Anyone else?
Like for wrote, Mike Evans is close. Antonio Brown even if he's "getting old" 

That's it. And it depends on the league if I'd give the pick for those guys.

OBJ > 1.01

Hopkins > 1.01

Evans = 1.01

Julio < 1.01

Adams < 1.01
Probably, but I doubt you'll get much added to the 1 for OBJ or Hopkins. 

Funny, 3 years ago I traded the 1.01 (Gurley) for Mike Evans.  I took a lot of flack for making "a mistake" at the time.  Yet here he is, still worth the #1, and the prospect is even more promising than Gurley was at the time. (TBH, I'd be happy with Barkley if he did as well as Gurley his first 3 years)

I'm a dyno Sammy owner. Wouldn't call it a ransom, but certainly would want fairly high value. Just think, Sammy just wrapped up his what? 4th year in the NFL, and he's just 1 year older than Calvin Ridley just coming in now. This was also an odd lose-win season for Sammy. Dude's stats sucked apart from the goalline TDs he got toward the end, BUT his value jumped way up after finally being able to make it a full season without any lower body injuries which he's had the history of.

I'm a dyno Sammy owner. Wouldn't call it a ransom, but certainly would want fairly high value. Just think, Sammy just wrapped up his what? 4th year in the NFL, and he's just 1 year older than Calvin Ridley just coming in now. This was also an odd lose-win season for Sammy. Dude's stats sucked apart from the goalline TDs he got toward the end, BUT his value jumped way up after finally being able to make it a full season without any lower body injuries which he's had the history of.
Don’t own him anywhere but he’s an obvious talent. Made a few sick catches this year including a Willie Mays-style over the shoulder grab. Watkins is poster boy for how important situation/QB is for wides. He’s a hold because no one is going to pay for his lack of usage.

I really appreciate the discussion on David Johnson, especially the thoughtful back and forth on his remaining value and his situation. I have him in one league and share the same concerns as FreeBaGeL and FF Ninja so I would move him if I could find the right deal. I also agree with Bia that a primary consideration in his value is his special receiving ability (I like the characterization of Christian McCaffery at 230 lbs). 

To me the decision on trading him comes down to timing. A local AZ reporter and Rapoport are suggesting Shurmur is the clear front runner for HC. I think that's a very positive replacement for Arians, and checks off a big box on DJ's value if it happens. If AZ gets a decent QB in via FA, and people are feeling good about Shurmur's recent work with developing Keenum, then some of the concerns depressing DJ's value now could lift a bit. I worry about their ability to get a QB in the draft given their position but that could also bring some hope. We also don't know about Fitzgerald retiring, which would be a ding. 

I'm also intrigued by the part of the discussion here related to DJ's value relative to Barkley. I agree with Bia that it is basically a push, and I see the proposition as having 3 years of high floor production from DJ versus buying in at the front end of Barkley's career but taking on the additional risk since he's never played a down in the NFL.

A major factor to me is whether Barkley gets drafted by the Browns. I want to wait to see if that happens because if it does I think it would represent a chance to buy him at a slight reduction compared to where he is valued now. I agree with FF Ninja that the Browns offense could become a positive in a short period of time. Their sucking seems metaphysically guaranteed, but it isn't. They've drafted a lot of early round talent on that side of the ball, and as Ninja mentioned the line is good. A standard argument around the Browns is that had they drafted Wentz or Watson they would never have broken out. Would that same argument be applied to Barkley by owners of the 1.1? They're not going to give the pick away, and they may see the same young pieces coming into shape, but they also may come off their demands for your first born.

I wouldn't call DJ and Barkley a push just because of what DJ has proven vs. Barkley being all potential.  Sure Barkley looks great and all but he's still unproven at the NFL level.  There's a very clear top4 RB's to me in Gurley, Bell, DJ and Zeke.  Then Barkley in tier2, then everyone else below that.  So it's very close to me but haven't we learned a little bit of skepticism when it comes to "the best RB prospect since AP, in Trich?"  For every Trich there was a Gurley and Zeke so the odds seem to be in his favor, but anointing him to be better than literally the best in the league already seems like a reach.  Maybe it's my skepticism or my cautious nature when it comes to rookies, but I can't put him above the best of the best until I see it for myself.  That's the reason I felt I needed to add OJ Howard in my last offer, and that's the reason I won't make another offer for that pick, but I imagine after the draft, some people will knock him down a peg or two for going to the Browns, or other bad landing spots.  He's unlikely to be put into a great situation unless he goes to the Giants, and even they are kind of a mess right now.  Tampa or Oakland seem like the best landing spots in that top10 but I would guess it takes a move up to get Barkley for them.  

Where is everyone on Marquise Goodwin? His numbers with Garoppolo (weeks 13-17) were: 8-99; 6-106; 10-114; 3-37; and 2-28-1. So a few productive games and two quiet ones, and he had a handful of good games earlier in the season.

I don't watch SF play very much so can anyone comment on whether he has developed a more all-around game? If so, he has all-world speed and seems to me to be someone you could get cheap, especially if SF adds a WR via FA or the draft as many people seem to expect. If they do add a WR, and/or if Garcon comes back healthy, could he still produce in that offense?

What's the best you can expect to get for Drew Brees now? In 12 team leagues. 

If you have a good qb1 and backup, making Brees expendable, would you trade him for a 2nd? Understand this really depends on other teams needs, and the off season is really a bad time to trade old QBs, so is he just a hold?

What's the best you can expect to get for Drew Brees now? In 12 team leagues. 

If you have a good qb1 and backup, making Brees expendable, would you trade him for a 2nd? Understand this really depends on other teams needs, and the off season is really a bad time to trade old QBs, so is he just a hold?
I think I'd take a second for Brees in the situaiton you described. You could grab one of the rookie QB's there and cross your fingers - but if you're already set at QB, there's not much risk.

I think I'd take a second for Brees in the situaiton you described. You could grab one of the rookie QB's there and cross your fingers - but if you're already set at QB, there's not much risk.
Agreed. But would you trade the 2nd, or more to the point expect someone to give a 2nd?

Don’t think you’re getting a 2nd in a 12 team league. He’s been old for awhile but he put up elite numbers before. This year, with the running commitment, his numbers were pretty average.

Agreed. But would you trade the 2nd, or more to the point expect someone to give a 2nd?
Great point. I wanted to respond to this because it is the thing that annoys me most about dynasty analysis. On podcasts, you hear people saying stuff like they would buy X player for a second and sell for a late-first. I understand that you want to buy low/sell high and there is a value point where it's not worth it to make a trade, but in this scenario you value the player at a late-first round pick but you're also not willing to pay what you actually think the player is worth. 

You also hear guys saying that you should "sell high" on X player because their production isn't sustainable (e.g. Chris Thompson from last year). The other one is when a player is described as a "flip" candidate - like it's the easiest thing in the world to sell some over-performing player for a late first round pick and get out before the milk goes bad.  

I always think what leagues are you guys playing in? If you think a player is a sell high or a flip candidate and you play in anything resembling a competitive league, then it's likely that many of the other people in your league have the same view of that player and aren't willing to buy that player for an inflated price. In leagues I have played in, selling high on players is much more difficult to do in practice because people are awake to what you're trying to do. Most dynasty analysis assumes your league mates are idiots basically.

Yes or No?

Odell Beckham

Deandre Hopkins

Julio Jones

Davante Adams

Anyone else?
Odell Beckham No

Deandre Hopkins No

Elliot No

Gurley No

Julio Jones No

Davante Adams - I'm a bit wishy washy because its a Packer 

Mike Evans No

Michael Thomas No

Keenan Allen No

David Johnson No

LeVeon Bell No

Brandin Cooks Maybe

Amari Cooper Maybe

Dalvin Cook Maybe

Leonard Fournette Maybe

Alvin Kamara Yes

Kareem Hunt Yes

Adam Thielen Yes

Tyreek Hill Yes

Allen Robinson Yes

Stefon Diggs Yes

Doug Baldwin Yes

I really appreciate the discussion on David Johnson, especially the thoughtful back and forth on his remaining value and his situation. I have him in one league and share the same concerns as FreeBaGeL and FF Ninja so I would move him if I could find the right deal. I also agree with Bia that a primary consideration in his value is his special receiving ability (I like the characterization of Christian McCaffery at 230 lbs). 

To me the decision on trading him comes down to timing. A local AZ reporter and Rapoport are suggesting Shurmur is the clear front runner for HC. I think that's a very positive replacement for Arians, and checks off a big box on DJ's value if it happens. If AZ gets a decent QB in via FA, and people are feeling good about Shurmur's recent work with developing Keenum, then some of the concerns depressing DJ's value now could lift a bit. I worry about their ability to get a QB in the draft given their position but that could also bring some hope. We also don't know about Fitzgerald retiring, which would be a ding. 

I'm also intrigued by the part of the discussion here related to DJ's value relative to Barkley. I agree with Bia that it is basically a push, and I see the proposition as having 3 years of high floor production from DJ versus buying in at the front end of Barkley's career but taking on the additional risk since he's never played a down in the NFL.

A major factor to me is whether Barkley gets drafted by the Browns. I want to wait to see if that happens because if it does I think it would represent a chance to buy him at a slight reduction compared to where he is valued now. I agree with FF Ninja that the Browns offense could become a positive in a short period of time. Their sucking seems metaphysically guaranteed, but it isn't. They've drafted a lot of early round talent on that side of the ball, and as Ninja mentioned the line is good. A standard argument around the Browns is that had they drafted Wentz or Watson they would never have broken out. Would that same argument be applied to Barkley by owners of the 1.1? They're not going to give the pick away, and they may see the same young pieces coming into shape, but they also may come off their demands for your first born.
Nice post and I agree the possibility of Barkley going to the Browns would present a buy low opportunity. Hell it might shift the 1.01 to Guice or another RB if they are drafted high and get a better offense to fit with.

While I agree the Browns have a good offensive line, something they have done a good job of maintaining for a pretty long time now. Really hinging on the Joe Thomas pick and then usually being able to draft so high, adding some good talents along the way as well. Free agent signing of Kevin Zeitler offsetting the loss of Mack. They have a lot of good players on their offensive line.

Hue Jackson does not inspire my confidence in Barkley getting bell cow opportunities. He did do it before with the Raiders and Michael Bush, or when Bernard was injured with Hill. But generally he likes to split carries and that won;t help Barkley in the short term.

It could turn out great as well. Just saying a different coach and I would feel a bit more optimistic about the prospect of Barkley being there.

The Browns may be gunshy due to Trent RIchardson pick not that long ago. I remember Richardson seeming like a can't miss RB. The Browns were able to ruin him pretty quickly (or he did so himself, however you want to look at it I guess). This at least feels like additional risk because the Browns got RIchardson so wrong before. They even traded up with the Vikings to draft RIchardson when the Vikings were drafting Kalil if he was there all along. To the Browns credit, at least they didn't want Kalil (or need him with Joe Thomas). 

Maybe it would be great football and a great way to develop a QB with Barkley and Duke Johnson to go to short for easy completions, a really high upside TE in Njoku and maybe even some receivers to work with in Gordon and Coleman?

Its not bad if they can just find the QB. 

The Browns could possibly do both in this draft. Barkley would be an asset.

Philosophically I think drafting a RB that high is something I don't really think teams should do. As I think they should prioritize other positions, but Barkley may be worth a top 10 pick. If he is thats a good reason to value him more. Espeically if he is top 5 pick. The success rate of RB drafted this high is really strong. So with that pretty commonly being floated out right now, that makes the 1.01 pick seem more valuable, if Barkley is a top 5 pick, but if he is, he likely was drafted by the Browns, which does take some of the shine off that.

Shurmur to Arizona seems like a good fit but recently I have been hearing he goes to the Giants. Not sure what other options Arizona has in play right now. 

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
RushHour said:
Great point. I wanted to respond to this because it is the thing that annoys me most about dynasty analysis. On podcasts, you hear people saying stuff like they would buy X player for a second and sell for a late-first. I understand that you want to buy low/sell high and there is a value point where it's not worth it to make a trade, but in this scenario you value the player at a late-first round pick but you're also not willing to pay what you actually think the player is worth. 

You also hear guys saying that you should "sell high" on X player because their production isn't sustainable (e.g. Chris Thompson from last year). The other one is when a player is described as a "flip" candidate - like it's the easiest thing in the world to sell some over-performing player for a late first round pick and get out before the milk goes bad.  

I always think what leagues are you guys playing in? If you think a player is a sell high or a flip candidate and you play in anything resembling a competitive league, then it's likely that many of the other people in your league have the same view of that player and aren't willing to buy that player for an inflated price. In leagues I have played in, selling high on players is much more difficult to do in practice because people are awake to what you're trying to do. Most dynasty analysis assumes your league mates are idiots basically.
There are a lot of leagues.

The whole premise is somewhat vague anyways. But the folks you are listening to may play in leagues like this, There are a lot of leagues.

For dynasty you would think that most leagues that have existed for a handful of years already are full of some fairly experienced owners for the most part. I can see such tactics being more possible within the first few years of a league, where you still may have some owners still in the process of selecting themselves out of the running with subsequent moves like that.

DAG said:
Where is everyone on Marquise Goodwin? His numbers with Garoppolo (weeks 13-17) were: 8-99; 6-106; 10-114; 3-37; and 2-28-1. So a few productive games and two quiet ones, and he had a handful of good games earlier in the season.

I don't watch SF play very much so can anyone comment on whether he has developed a more all-around game? If so, he has all-world speed and seems to me to be someone you could get cheap, especially if SF adds a WR via FA or the draft as many people seem to expect. If they do add a WR, and/or if Garcon comes back healthy, could he still produce in that offense?
Good questions. He was excellent with JimmyG. I rode him as a flex play in redraft through most of those games. I don’t own him in dynasty, but would like to acquire this offseason. Seems like a trade will be difficult, though. If SF drafts a WR early or gets a big time FA, that is when I will try to get him cheap. If I owned him, I would want a late 1st. 

DAG said:

Good questions. He was excellent with JimmyG. I rode him as a flex play in redraft through most of those games. I don’t own him in dynasty, but would like to acquire this offseason. Seems like a trade will be difficult, though. If SF drafts a WR early or gets a big time FA, that is when I will try to get him cheap. If I owned him, I would want a late 1st. 

-OZ- said:
Probably not. If it was a late second and I was desperate for a QB, maybe. But I think I’d rather take my chances with one of the rookies.

I can't see paying a late first. Garcon was out and Jimmy G really had no else to throw to really. His numbers seem a bit inflated due to circumstances but he does have world class speed so perhaps there's something there.

Probably not. If it was a late second and I was desperate for a QB, maybe. But I think I’d rather take my chances with one of the rookies.
Thats my thought, I actually offered Brees for Kizer and a little upgrade at receiver. Rejected. That owner has the weakest QBs, but seems he's content with what he has. So Brees is a hold.

I can't see paying a late first. Garcon was out and Jimmy G really had no else to throw to really. His numbers seem a bit inflated due to circumstances but he does have world class speed so perhaps there's something there.
That’s what I would ask for. If buying, I would be bidding a late 2nd maybe right now. His value is going to change this offseason. If they clearly upgrade from him, he might be available for a 3rd. If they don’t, JimmyGs #1 target is worth more than any rookie WR, so a mid 1st. 

That’s what I would ask for. If buying, I would be bidding a late 2nd maybe right now. His value is going to change this offseason. If they clearly upgrade from him, he might be available for a 3rd. If they don’t, JimmyGs #1 target is worth more than any rookie WR, so a mid 1st. 
Short term maybe. But if you don't really believe in his talent, not long term.

I really wouldn't buy him no matter what happens at more than a late 2nd. Even then I'd need extra roster space for a low ceiling guy with a real high bust probability.

He's kind of like a poor man's Pryor last off-season.

Could Mularkey's exit in Tennessee impact their skill position players the way Fisher's did for the Rams?  That offense was overly cute far too often. 

After moving on from Mariota, I'm tempted to give him another shot.  I feel sick about having sold Davis for Henry recently, but am otherwise happy about the change as a Henry owner.  Sell Walker, buy everyone else?

Haley out as OC in Pittsburgh has to be somewhat concerning for Bell, Brown, JuJu owners, no? 

Could Mularkey's exit in Tennessee impact their skill position players the way Fisher's did for the Rams?  That offense was overly cute far too often. 

After moving on from Mariota, I'm tempted to give him another shot.  I feel sick about having sold Davis for Henry recently, but am otherwise happy about the change as a Henry owner.  Sell Walker, buy everyone else?
Think we need to see who the new coach and o coordinator are first.

Certainly fair, especially if we're pondering a Rams like turnaround.  Personally, I'll gladly take the unknown over the status quo, however. 
The leading candidates don’t look that great to me. Seems like the top choices have all been placed elsewhere. Mularkey was an offensive coordinator before he was head coach. 

I'm not sure he will be the top target even with just Garcon back next year though.

How would you rank these assets in a pretty standard 12 team PPR league? 

Kupp
Watkins
Woods

Watkins

Woods

Kupp

Watkins could easily deliver far less than any of these other commodities but also could be worth well more. I'm willing to take that risk. To me, the back half of round #1 is not great this year. The WR crop looks pedestrian to me.

Watkins

Woods

Kupp

Watkins could easily deliver far less than any of these other commodities but also could be worth well more. I'm willing to take that risk. To me, the back half of round #1 is not great this year. The WR crop looks pedestrian to me.

Watkins

Woods

Kupp

I might like kupp too much in PPR but I'd put him over woods, both on par the the 10/12. 

Watkins

Woods

Kupp

Watkins

Woods

Kupp

These are funny to me because you can practically flip it for me.  

Woods

Kupp

Watkins

I've never been a Watkins fan, and he's the clear cut example of a name brand guy.  If you want a name on your roster, go buy him for all the 1sts in your arsenal, if you actually want a productive guy, take all those pieces above him.  

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Thanks for your thoughts on the Rams wide outs.  Unless Goff is the next Manning, he's not going to support 3 fantasy relevant options moving forward.  So any valuation of one of these guys is at least indirectly a statement on the other 2.  For that reason, I have a hard time putting a price tag on them.  I think I'd go: 1.08, Sammy, Kupp, Woods, but I'm not confident in that.  The Rams should do us all a favor and let Sammy walk.  

AB is bulletproof as long as Big Ben is there, and probably after that.  Haley being gone can only help keep Big Ben there longer (from reports of strife) so this can only help AB.
I don't think it will end up mattering enough to adjust our rankings, but there's really nowhere to go but down, in terms of scheme.  Hard to argue with both the results and the fit of the players involved.  

The leading candidates don’t look that great to me. Seems like the top choices have all been placed elsewhere. Mularkey was an offensive coordinator before he was head coach. 
I agree the remaining HC candidates don’t inspire confidence in a Rams-like turnaround but I do think that like the Rams the team at least begins with an addition by subtraction by moving on at HC. McVay turned out to be special in his own right and there’s probably not an offensive mind left among the candidates to pull off something similar. But Mularkey was pretty clearly bad for Mariota’s development and I think he has the smarts/commitment/athleticism to improve under new coaching. 

Users who are viewing this thread