What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rate the top 5 RBs ROS only (1 Viewer)

packer_junkie

Footballguy
For me:

1) DJ-- too much volume & talent

2) Bell

3) Gurley-- just too good

4) Forte-- volume isn't an issue-- maybe too much?

5) C-Mike-- Why not? Rawls going to be out longer than people thing. He's running w/ a purpose. 5.2 ypc. Thats 1.4 more than Marshawn last year

1. Leveon Bell - Him and AB are the Steelers offense. With him missing 3 games, he should be ready for the heavy workloads all season.

2. David Johnson - Beast and gets a ton of volume

3. Lamar Miller - Tons of volume and his schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way. TD's will start to come

4. Todd Gurley - Rams will get him rolling and he just has a ton of talent

5. Melvin Gordon - Bellcow back that I can see breaking out

Volume and offense will dictate the top 5:

Bell - assuming he doesn't get spelled too often by Williams; will probably lead RBs in targets going forward

D Johnson - more volume than I expected

Elliot - lack of passing stats is a concern

CJA - with Siemian moving the ball and Kubiak's preference to run, he seems like a lock (almost exact same workload as DJ so far)

McCoy - offense runs through him; I wouldn't have put him here except he torched the Cardinals' D last week (also about same workload as DJ)

-----------------

Reasons these guys missed:

Murray - hot start, but mostly through the air; will cede touches to Henry

Freeman - full fledged RBBC

Gurley - touches are there, but bad offense

Forte - touches are there, but he's lost a step and can't keep up this pace (357 carries)

Miller - 2nd in the league in carries, but 3.6 ypc and few scoring opps

-----------------

Just missed:

Gordon - he could easily sneak in

Hyde - give this offense some time, it's a new system

This is harder than I thought.

1. Bell - if he stays healthy, should be able to put up big numbers in that offense

2. Johnson - big part of their offense going forward and will get a heavy dose of usage

3. Anderson - probably the most consistent guy in that offense going forward and the touches will only continue as the season goes on

4. Miller - volume is there and the TDs will come

5. Lacy - wildcard, but the Packers realize they need to run the ball more and he's actually been very efficient so far, averaging 5.0ypc

1) DJ - Focal point of the offense, in my opinion, and he remains unchallenged for snaps from his back-ups

2) Bell/Williams - I've got both, so I see them as one player. As long as Bell is healthy, he's a top 5 back, but when he's not Deangelo fills that same role.

3) Anderson - A RB in a Kubiak offense, who's looked good between the tackles, bouncing it outside and catching it out of the back field. Passing game success last week only increases his value to me.

4) McCoy - Immensely talented with a ton of opportunity.

5) Murray - Health is always a concern, and his # of carries is lower than I like, but he's the #1 in RB scoring in my league for good reason. He can pretty much do it all, and gets a lot of opportunity to showcase it. 

Others receiving votes - Zeke (growing pains + potential for the rookie wall worry me), Forte (Bell and Murray are just as likely, if not more likely to get injured, but the way Gailey continues to run him into walls makes me worry about his longevity this season, especially with the volume he's receiving. He's a sell high right now for me), Gurley (one of my favorite NFL players on just a turd of a team)

For me:

1) DJ-- too much volume & talent

2) Bell

3) Gurley-- just too good

4) Forte-- volume isn't an issue-- maybe too much?

5) C-Mike-- Why not? Rawls going to be out longer than people thing. He's running w/ a purpose. 5.2 ypc. Thats 1.4 more than Marshawn last year
C-Mike deserve this consideration, Sharks?

Bell

DJ

Miller

Elliot

I don't see any reason why these four won't be there.

CJA, Lacy or McCoy for #5 - could be any of them or someone else, seems muddled after these guys.

Bell, Johnson, Anderson, Miller 

seems relatively clear to me. Then there's a mix of guys who can be marked down for a myriad of different reasons and they all have a chance

Gurley, McCoy, Lacy, Elliot, Gordon, Murray. 

Guess that's a top ten then.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Lev Bell - assuming he stays healthy, he has the best shot at averaging 1 TD/game or more

David Johnson - a touch monster who is always a threat to break a big gain

CJ Anderson - one-cut back who is a workhorse and can grind out yards at the end zone, great fit for Kubiak system

Zeke Elliott - can average over 100 yds/game if he is hungry enough, best(ish) line in football

Todd Gurley - come hell or high water, they will feed him the ball, with a better o-line he is the best rb in football

**Honorable mention Top 10 candidate** - I fully admit that I have been on the hype train since the summer and that this is a best case scenario ... Dwayne Washington.  Yes he is not going to get a ton of passing down work, yes he's a rookie, yes they are a pass first team under Cooter.  BUT, this guy has all the ability in the world.  Measurables compare favorably with David Johnson and while that doesn't necessarily mean Washington will be a stud, it means he has the potential given his size and speed.  I think he could could sneak into the top 10 conversation if things cut right for him.  He's a total lottery ticket but one that could pay off big time come fantasy playoffs.  Enough thread hijacking ... back to your regularly scheduled top 5 convo...

Bell & Anderson are the only two I feel good about, anyone else it's a crap shoot. I don't think Michael will be there, whether it's Procise or Rawls or Collins or Spiller, I think Carroll wants more from the position.

Only 3 RBs have had 3 RB1 weeks: Johnson & Demarco Murray. I'm going to add them to the final top 5 list.

A guy I think will finish as the top 5 surprise will be Ike Crowell. He's no. 2 in rushing yards, so why not.

1. Bell - this fluke week aside, I see that offense just tearing up the league every week, led by the 2 guys I'd most want to have in fantasy - Bell and Brown

2. Johnson - DCs are going to start stacking if Palmer keeps playing this bad. I think he could have some tough weeks. But he's a no-brainer top 2 option all the way - touches, talent, scoring, everything you want

3. Zeke - feel like he should be on every list and is getting slept on a little actually. Has most of the same as the above. Not such an explosive offense but might end up with the most touches. TDs will come. I'm only disappointed I own him in my PPR league instead of my standard

4. Shady - the opposite of Zeke, I wish I owned him in PPR instead of my standard. Still, once again you're looking at talent and touches. Just have to hope the TDs will be there.

5. Miller - I feel like the start is not nearly indicative of what's to come. I don't own him and I'm glad to not have to pray he does pick it up. But I expect he will

*Gurley owner. Considered making the argument at #5, but honestly it sounds kind of desperate in my own mind. That Rams offense is scary bad. With teams stacking against him, it's gonna be tough every single week just to crack 4 ypc. 

My order coming into the season:

1. David Johnson

2. Gurley

3. Elliot

4. Bell-rated as #1 in points per games but 4th due to 3 games.

5. Miller

Now for ROS:

1. Bell

2. Johsnon

3. Elliot

4. Demaco Murray

5. Todd Gurley

Only difference in top 5 is Murray over Miller.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned Blount, and i think people are sleeping on him a bit. Sure Tom will throw the ball, but I am not sure if the Pats will lose a game this season. And there is no reason to think that Blount won't have more running room with Tom back there. If non-PPR league, i think Blount may get to #5

I'll spin it a bit differently. I look at this as likelihood of pure consistent opportunity plus ability to break big plays.

1. David Johnson.  No RB in the league, not even Bell has the combo of opportunity, big play ability, and least amount of dark clouds hanging over his head.  Bell would obviously be there but the injuries and drug issues must put him a step behind.

2. Bell. Nothing not to like except worrying about drugs and knees issues.  Small things for an NFL RB, huh?

3. Shady-For any RB, it always starts with "if h stays healthy" so assuming that with all these guys, it is clear that aside from David Johnson, Shady seems to be part of every single snap more than anyone.

4. DeMarco Murray. Under the radar but flat out playing.  He is the single reason everyone stopped talking about Henry in less than a month. The guy is getting it done and the Titans are just competent enough to keep it that way.

There really is no 5 in this discussion, but a lot of wildcards.

Guys that we can't put there-Gurley (offense), The other Murray, Zeke, Anderson, Miller, Hille, Ware  (inconsistencies and vultures).

Two guys I think can bust into the top 5 are Charles if he comes back rested and they just give the job back to him as usual.  Coleman in Atlanta if Freeman goes down.  Coleman can flat out play in that offense. He is dangerous. Only thing holding him back is real life football strategy.  That guy in some other cities would be a fantasy star. 

Two guys I think can bust into the top 5 are Charles if he comes back rested and they just give the job back to him as usual.  Coleman in Atlanta if Freeman goes down.  Coleman can flat out play in that offense. He is dangerous. Only thing holding him back is real life football strategy.  That guy in some other cities would be a fantasy star. 
Not to get off subject but I think Coleman is being used perfectly and I"m talking real life.

I'll spin it a bit differently. I look at this as likelihood of pure consistent opportunity plus ability to break big plays.

1. David Johnson.  No RB in the league, not even Bell has the combo of opportunity, big play ability, and least amount of dark clouds hanging over his head.  Bell would obviously be there but the injuries and drug issues must put him a step behind.

2. Bell. Nothing not to like except worrying about drugs and knees issues.  Small things for an NFL RB, huh?

3. Shady-For any RB, it always starts with "if h stays healthy" so assuming that with all these guys, it is clear that aside from David Johnson, Shady seems to be part of every single snap more than anyone.

4. DeMarco Murray. Under the radar but flat out playing.  He is the single reason everyone stopped talking about Henry in less than a month. The guy is getting it done and the Titans are just competent enough to keep it that way.

There really is no 5 in this discussion, but a lot of wildcards.

Guys that we can't put there-Gurley (offense), The other Murray, Zeke, Anderson, Miller, Hille, Ware  (inconsistencies and vultures).

As someone who has the DJ/Bell combo in two leagues and Bell/McCoy in another I hope you are right about Shady.  I'm not quite as confident as I have concerns about the consistenc of the Bills offense and I'm not sure he has all of the quickness he had a couple of years ago, which at times turns his elusiveness into horizontal dancing. 

There is an obvious consensus with the top two right now.  After that you can make a a case for a number of Rbs.  These are all close but I think I'd go:

3. CJA- Still love the situation. He'll have favorable game scripts all year, is involved in the passing game, and I expect double digit TDs.  Gets the edge over Murray to me b/c I see Booker as less of a threat to touches than Henry.

4.  Murray- Agree with above and will add that I don't think Murray has ever gotten his just due for what he did his last season in DAL.  Yes, they have an excellent O-line but Murray is and has been a baller.

5. Forte- People don't think he can keep it up.  And he certainly cant keep up his insane touch number of touches.  But he fits the offense perfectly and I also think he'll have favorable game scripts on a team with a solid defense, weapons at WR, and a QB who can move the team down the field but has limitations and will rely on the RB, particualrly in the redzone.

Others I would not be surprised to see in, or near, top 5 ROS.  

McCoy, Elliot, Miller, Gurley (that offense is horrid tho), Gordon (personally not fully sold but he'll have the opportunity), Hill (would need a Gio injury).

As someone who has the DJ/Bell combo in two leagues and Bell/McCoy in another I hope you are right about Shady.  I'm not quite as confident as I have concerns about the consistenc of the Bills offense and I'm not sure he has all of the quickness he had a couple of years ago, which at times turns his elusiveness into horizontal dancing. 

There is an obvious consensus with the top two right now.  After that you can make a a case for a number of Rbs.  These are all close but I think I'd go:

3. CJA- Still love the situation. He'll have favorable game scripts all year, is involved in the passing game, and I expect double digit TDs.  Gets the edge over Murray to me b/c I see Booker as less of a threat to touches than Henry.

4.  Murray- Agree with above and will add that I don't think Murray has ever gotten his just due for what he did his last season in DAL.  Yes, they have an excellent O-line but Murray is and has been a baller.

5. Forte- People don't think he can keep it up.  And he certainly cant keep up his insane touch number of touches.  But he fits the offense perfectly and I also think he'll have favorable game scripts on a team with a solid defense, weapons at WR, and a QB who can move the team down the field but has limitations and will rely on the RB, particualrly in the redzone.

Others I would not be surprised to see in, or near, top 5 ROS.  

McCoy, Elliot, Miller, Gurley (that offense is horrid tho), Gordon (personally not fully sold but he'll have the opportunity), Hill (would need a Gio injury).
Could definitely see Anderson.  Just so unsure how their season is going to play out with the qb (just me being unsure).   I've read several Denver guys here that seem to be thininking and hearing it's more stable than I am fretting over.

1. David Johnson, elite talent, great situation, no real competition for carries.

2. Ezekiel Elliott, think he's been unlucky to not have like 4 TD's already. He's getting better by the week.

3. LeSean McCoy, he's the focal point of his offense, with no competition, and contributes as a receiver.

4. Todd Gurley, McCoy minus the receiving, but with a little more upside as a runner.

5. Lamar Miller, have to think he starts seeing the endzone soon.

I think DeAngelo will split a lot of work with Bell, as Steelers fancy themselves a Super Bowl team, and are keenly aware of how important Bell is to that.

If we could go PPG, I like Doug Martin a ton once he gets back. Tampa has arguably the easiest schedule for RBs from week 7 on. 2 more weeks of Sims+Martin is a top-5 RB in my opinion.

:excited:

I never have a stud RB unless it's a WW gem (D-Will / DJ.) Stud WRs win FF championships. 
When I won my League 2 years ago I drafted DeMarco Murray at #14.  Even though Odell Beckham, Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas "won" me that league, I would never have gotten there without being able to plug Murray into my lineup every single week of the season.

A good RB is like the bedrock of your team because it gives you an immediate advantage over your opponent.

When I won my League 2 years ago I drafted DeMarco Murray at #14.  Even though Odell Beckham, Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas "won" me that league, I would never have gotten there without being able to plug Murray into my lineup every single week of the season.

A good RB is like the bedrock of your team because it gives you an immediate advantage over your opponent.
Especially in 0ppr. People with Marvin and/or Baldwin are having a good laugh at the zero-RB folks.

Users who are viewing this thread