What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tanney, not the Browns starting QB (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Thought some of you might find this interesting. It's minimal but really damning of the Browns organization

The Titans have long had Alex Tanney on their practice squad. He has bounced around the NFL(including the Browns) but he always winds up back with the Titans. He was a youtube star years ago. He has a big arm. He did pretty much nothing else until this summer. This preseason he finally looked good. At 28, maybe it's about time, but....finally he was looking like an NFL QB.

Last week, the Browns offered Tanney a contract. He turned them down and preferred to stay on the Titans practice squad.

A few days ago, the Browns made another offer. This time the Titans gave him a raise of 30k per week.(a pittance compared to starting QB money)

Charlie Whitehurst was on the radio and said that he signed with the Browns to be Tanney's backup. He said Kessler starting was a surprise to him. He tells a story of Horton (former Titans DC now Browns DC) telling him how his time with the Titans and Tanney.... he needs Whitehurst's help in getting Tanney ready for last week's game.

A friend told me Tanney is supposed to be on the radio today. I'm curious what he'll say. Quotes from him are that it wasn't an insult to the Browns organization he just likes it in Tennessee and all these good boy quotes. Umm practice squad players don't turn down a chance to start. 

Something seems weird here. Has a team ever signed a QB off another team's practice squad to start him that week? It would make more sense to start Whitehurst and even that would be a stretch.

Something seems weird here. Has a team ever signed a QB off another team's practice squad to start him that week? It would make more sense to start Whitehurst and even that would be a stretch.
Well it is the browns.  

But no not buying the story. 

I don't disagree. Whitehurst was out of football. 

Anyway, I assume it had to do with Horton. It's hard to rationalize any other reason to show interest in two Titans that don't play

Quotes from him are that it wasn't an insult to the Browns organization he just likes it in Tennessee and all these good boy quotes. Umm practice squad players don't turn down a chance to start. 
The Saints had a similar story a few years back (maybe 2-3 or 3-4?) when they had Ryan Griffin. The Saints had made Griffin a project. Well the Browns had this same sort of total dumpster fire going on with their QB and supposedly they tried to poach Griffin. Somehow either they didn't offer him enough money or the Saints put him on their active roster, but given the money involved, which is nothing to NFL clubs, it seems hard to believe that the Browns could not have offered enough or that the Saints would not have allowed him a chance to go make his way as a starter.

I am always full of it
I agree with that part but nothing else.

He wasn't going to be signed in order to start after only a few days with a new club.  He doesn't know the system but knows the Titans system.

He would have been signed as an emergency QB and got cut as soon as McCown gets back healthy as will Whitehurst.

He decided to stay because Matt Cassel's on a one-year deal and he thinks that he has a shot to take over his job as Mariota's backup in 2017.

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/20423/qb-alex-tanney-chose-titans-practice-squad-raise-direction-and-culture-over-browns

"I was claimed in Cleveland before, it had nothing to do with that," Tanney said, disavowing the notion that the move was an indictment of the Browns. "I just feel like this is the best fit for me long term."

... His willingness to stick around suggests to me that he’s in line to be Marcus Mariota's backup in 2017, after Matt Cassel's one-year deal with the team runs out.

The Browns will be adding a franchise QB in the 2017 draft and have plenty of backup QB options which means that even if he 'could' have someone stuck around that next year he would be out of a job once again.

Most journeymen NFL backup QBs would take the better long-term option especially someone who has kicked around with 8 NFL teams in six years.

Cut and dry business decision.

Well thanks. I am always full of it with Titans news

ESPN is starting to jump on this

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/20423/qb-alex-tanney-chose-titans-practice-squad-raise-direction-and-culture-over-browns

I don't find anyone else googling. Let's see after Tanney is on the radio today
Fwiw, nobody is questioning your credibility.   I'm just not buying the part about tanney starting a few days after signing, ahead of a qb the head coach advocated for in the draft. 

Eta: I didn't even notice that you were the poster, if I had, I'd have been more likely to believe the story. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Over the years, you've insulted every Browns writer here Grossi, Mary Kay...everyone. That's fine company to be in.

That you'll quote an article I linked to is pretty rich.

I told you he was being a good boy saying the right things, but there you go quoting him as if it's different.

Then PK guesses he stayed to backup Mariota in 2017 (clearly writing it as such) and you quote it as if Tanney said that.

Fwiw, nobody is questioning your credibility.   I'm just not buying the part about tanney starting a few days after signing, ahead of a qb the head coach advocated for in the draft. 

Eta: I didn't even notice that you were the poster, if I had, I'd have been more likely to believe the story. 
Tanney wasn't on the radio. He was in the plugs that he'd be on and they just stopped mentioning it. I don't know what happened there.

It's fine. This board is full of useful information. I've always appreciated those that question sources with good intentions. 

I've been writing about them for nearly a decade and have been published all over thanks to Gannett/USAToday. I've been fortunate to make contacts and get phone #s of players and coaches over the years. It's been great.

Life dealt me a blow of sorts and I stopped sports writing (and running a site and designing apps and scripts and such) to become a single dad. My kids needed me and it wasn't a real hard decision to step away for a while. I did miss it but, anything for my kids.

Years ago, I covered DeMarco and Bradford in college. This offseason Bradford was in the news, DeMarco signed, my kids are older, a friend asked me to write...one thing led to another and I started writing again-now for Yahoo and FoxSports. 

I don't need this board as an outlet. I have the articles for that. I just have always hated how so many over the years have left. You know, a lot of good writers used to frequent this board. I always figure they were actually doing something with their life. This board can be a time drainer like facebook. I didn't like them leaving, but I figured it was good for them. Maybe they grew up and are actually doing things with their kids rather than sitting in front of a computer screen? 

My house can have a few zombies in it. I have to about force the kids to go outside. If I walk in their rooms, I see like an artist's bust of them and some glow from the TV shining on it. They can't even tell me what time it is. I'm always telling them to go do something, anything.

I guess I need to grow up or go do something other than sit and always write about the Titans. I need to take some of my own advice. 20? years here is a long time. 

It's not this thread, it's not you. Msommers and Bia are about the only one that comments in the Titans thread. There used to be dozens. FBG email blasts rarely have Titans news- I find that a lot of the topics here are generated by that email. Maybe it's that the Titans were the worst team in football. Maybe some combo? I like to talk about them and it's kind of 'dead' here the last year or so. 

Anyway, thanks for the memories and whatever other cliches fit. I have totally enjoyed my time here

Anyway, thanks for the memories and whatever other cliches fit. I have totally enjoyed my time here
Not sure if it means anything,  but I totally respect and appreciate your contributions to board and think it would suck to see another really good poster go.  

tone1oc said:
Not sure if it means anything,  but I totally respect and appreciate your contributions to board and think it would suck to see another really good poster go.  
After Faust, Bri has been one of the most visible and respectable providers of news and analysis I can recallon this board.  No slight to other worthies, but his volume on the Titans made me feel like I was living in Nashville some times.

Life trumps fantasy football, but I hope this isn't as firm a goodbye as it looked to be.  If it is, Bri will be missed.  We need folks like him for another 30 teams (the 100,000 Eagles fans do a good enough job filling their thread already).

Fare thee well!

Tanney wasn't on the radio. He was in the plugs that he'd be on and they just stopped mentioning it. I don't know what happened there.

It's fine. This board is full of useful information. I've always appreciated those that question sources with good intentions. 

I've been writing about them for nearly a decade and have been published all over thanks to Gannett/USAToday. I've been fortunate to make contacts and get phone #s of players and coaches over the years. It's been great.

Life dealt me a blow of sorts and I stopped sports writing (and running a site and designing apps and scripts and such) to become a single dad. My kids needed me and it wasn't a real hard decision to step away for a while. I did miss it but, anything for my kids.

Years ago, I covered DeMarco and Bradford in college. This offseason Bradford was in the news, DeMarco signed, my kids are older, a friend asked me to write...one thing led to another and I started writing again-now for Yahoo and FoxSports. 

I don't need this board as an outlet. I have the articles for that. I just have always hated how so many over the years have left. You know, a lot of good writers used to frequent this board. I always figure they were actually doing something with their life. This board can be a time drainer like facebook. I didn't like them leaving, but I figured it was good for them. Maybe they grew up and are actually doing things with their kids rather than sitting in front of a computer screen? 

My house can have a few zombies in it. I have to about force the kids to go outside. If I walk in their rooms, I see like an artist's bust of them and some glow from the TV shining on it. They can't even tell me what time it is. I'm always telling them to go do something, anything.

I guess I need to grow up or go do something other than sit and always write about the Titans. I need to take some of my own advice. 20? years here is a long time. 

It's not this thread, it's not you. Msommers and Bia are about the only one that comments in the Titans thread. There used to be dozens. FBG email blasts rarely have Titans news- I find that a lot of the topics here are generated by that email. Maybe it's that the Titans were the worst team in football. Maybe some combo? I like to talk about them and it's kind of 'dead' here the last year or so. 

Hey man, sorry to see you go but if that's what you gotta do, then do it and be well!

He wasn't going to be signed in order to start after only a few days with a new club.  He doesn't know the system but knows the Titans system.

He would have been signed as an emergency QB and got cut as soon as McCown gets back healthy as will Whitehurst.

He decided to stay because Matt Cassel's on a one-year deal and he thinks that he has a shot to take over his job as Mariota's backup in 2017.

The Browns will be adding a franchise QB in the 2017 draft and have plenty of backup QB options which means that even if he 'could' have someone stuck around that next year he would be out of a job once again.

Most journeymen NFL backup QBs would take the better long-term option especially someone who has kicked around with 8 NFL teams in six years.

Cut and dry business decision.
And the last supposed franchise QB the Browns drafted was Johnny Manziel. A more reasonable explanation for his refusal is that he feels the organization doesn't have enough talent to support him if he does get on the field.   

Users who are viewing this thread