What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The voice of a sport... (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
Who are the announcers (play-by-play or color) that to you just SOUND like a certain sport?  As in, their voices are indelibly linked in your mind with a sport, whether or not you like the guy.  Past or present.  For me, it's :

Summerall/Madden (then) and Al Michaels (now) - NFL

Marv Albert - NBA

Keith Jackson - CFB

**** Vitale - CBB

Rosen/Davidson (then) and Doc Emrick (now) - NHL

There are others, but those are the ones that stand out.  Like, in the old days when you'd turn on your TV and the picture would take a few seconds to light up, but the sound would come on - if I heard roughly .02 seconds of any of these voices, I'd know instantly what was on just based on a tiny snippet of sound.  I'm sure a lot of you have others, local guys or what have you - these are just the ones that are timeless for me.

Kevin Calabro - NBA. He was the Sonics play-by-play guy forever. And I watched far more Sonics games on TV than I did national broadcasts. When the Sonics left Seattle I basically stopped watching the NBA. 

Verne Lundquist - CFB. He isn't as iconic as Keith Jackson was, but Jackson has been retired for 10 years and was slipping badly near the end.

I grew up in Boston in the 80s. No voice better than Johnny Most. This may be more 'Which Voice is identifiable to a team,' but when I think NBA, I think his voice. Now this is before my time, but he is 4 words. 'Havilcek stole the ball!!!'

I grew up in Boston in the 80s. No voice better than Johnny Most. This may be more 'Which Voice is identifiable to a team,' but when I think NBA, I think his voice. Now this is before my time, but he is 4 words. 'Havilcek stole the ball!!!'
One of my earliest memories is of my grandfather and his sons watching the Celts with the volume turned down, and the radio turned on to Johnny.  

Who are the announcers (play-by-play or color) that to you just SOUND like a certain sport?  As in, their voices are indelibly linked in your mind with a sport, whether or not you like the guy.  Past or present.  For me, it's :

Summerall/Madden (then) and Al Michaels (now) - NFL

Marv Albert - NBA

Keith Jackson - CFB

**** Vitale - CBB

Rosen/Davidson (then) and Doc Emrick (now) - NHL

There are others, but those are the ones that stand out.  Like, in the old days when you'd turn on your TV and the picture would take a few seconds to light up, but the sound would come on - if I heard roughly .02 seconds of any of these voices, I'd know instantly what was on just based on a tiny snippet of sound.  I'm sure a lot of you have others, local guys or what have you - these are just the ones that are timeless for me.
Great topic.

First one the comes to mind for me is Jack Buck.  To me, he's the voice of baseball.  I grew up listening to Buck call Cardinals games on the radio.  Whenever I hear radio static on a warm afternoon or late at night, I expect it to clear up and hear Buck calling the action at Busch Stadium for KMOX.  And speaking to your point about a voice sounding like a certain sport... When Buck occasionally called NFL games it never sounded right to me.  Jack Buck announcing the down and distance was as weird and Buck announcing the balls and strikes on a hitter was normal.   

For NBA, it's regional.  To me, Marv Albert sounds like NBA games played in the northeast big cities and along the eastern seaboard.  A nationally televised game in Madison Square Garden just doesn't seem quite right if Marv isn't calling the action. 

In the other three time zones, I expect Kevin Harlan on the mic.  Some of that is from Harlan being the radio and local TV guy for the Timberwolves when they started up, and also from all those west coast games Harlan called for TNT when that network was rising to power as the best channel to watch NBA games.  Harlan has had a lot of success calling NFL games, but for me Harlan is the voice of the NBA Western Conference Playoffs on TNT.

Like many others have said, Keith Jackson is college football.  Just professional enough to make you tune in, just homespun enough to fit a broadcast of "amateurs" playing football.  

I turned on Vitale late in his career, but oh man is that voice college basketball.  At his peak it was like scientists took the irrational energy and passion for college basketball, isolated it, turned it into human form, and **** Vitale was created.  His voice was so much the embodiment of the energy jolt of a major conference college basketball arena on game night, hearing his voice in a studio setting without a crowd and pep band in the background felt off.  

And I know this isn't a good fit because it's not isolated to a single sport... but Michael Buffer purring "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!" is the voice of Some Serious #### Is About To Go Down.                     

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up before ESPN, before George Micheal's Sports Machine. Outside of awful Cubs and White Sox teams, the only other baseball viewing you got was Monday Night Baseball. Harry Carey wasn't baseball, he was the White Sox. Jack Brickhouse wasn't baseball, he was the Cubs. Because of that, and having an insatiable appetite for all things baseball, there was only one program I had to watch every week and that was TWIB. So there's really only one voice that says baseball to me and that's Mel Allen's

I turned on Vitale late in his career, but oh man is that voice college basketball.  At his peak it was like scientists took the irrational energy and passion for college basketball, isolated it, turned it into human form, and **** Vitale was created.  His voice was so much the embodiment of the energy jolt of a major conference college basketball arena on game night, hearing his voice in a studio setting without a crowd and pep band in the background felt off.  
Vitale's voice may be easily connected to NCAA basketball, but what he says can get really annoying. Maybe more in pre/post game stuff, but the guy is hugely in love with himself and sometimes sounds like he's talking just to hear his own voice.

Chick Hearn - basketball

Vin Scully - baseball

Bob Miller - hockey

Keith Jackson - college football

Chris Marlowe  - volleyball

Andres Cantor & Norberto Longo - soccer

While there are others that probably qualify, there's no one I'd rather listen to on a golf broadcast than David Ferehty.

https://youtu.be/CtGxusvUT3k

Don meridth

It felt so real and so Don the first time, and it just fit the rest of the time  "Turn out the Lights.."

Heres a nice bleacher blurb  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1769876-the-25-greatest-nfl-announcers-of-all-time/page/3

Olsen Summerall   a few guys underrated   Dont know what ya have until its gone type deal

I think it might have been Summerall who I actually recall taking the time too appreciate their work 

I loved most all of the monday night crews though   I think I only seen like two less than stellar

Bob Cole for NHL

Scully has called so many iconic moments in baseball, and his voice is like butter

Love Michaels for NFL

I really like Dan Schulman for MLB

Feherty for golf

Anyone other names are from someone too young to know or just plain wrong.
However, this man is the reason I said "play by play or color" in the OP.  This guy was a voice-over artists, not a live broadcaster.  I knew we'd see his name 45 times regardless, especially on a football board, but I was referring to guys that are in the booth during the game.

However, this man is the reason I said "play by play or color" in the OP.  This guy was a voice-over artists, not a live broadcaster.  I knew we'd see his name 45 times regardless, especially on a football board, but I was referring to guys that are in the booth during the game.
Yeah.... I'm a skimmer / half reader. Don't mind me.

Vitale's voice may be easily connected to NCAA basketball, but what he says can get really annoying. Maybe more in pre/post game stuff, but the guy is hugely in love with himself and sometimes sounds like he's talking just to hear his own voice.
I know Vitale annoys a lot of people, but I have met him and he was one of the nicest people I have ever encountered, famous or otherwise.  His on-mike enthusiasm for college hoops is NOT shtick, he lives and breathes the game.  Also a very altruistic individual.  I totally get why he would annoy the crap out of anyone, but the world could use more **** Vitales.  Good thing we don't have sigs anymore or I could easily see an expurgated version of that last sentence attributed to me in someone's signature.

national guys have been covered so i'll go local

Max McGee and Jim Irwin did Packers radio when i was growing up. we'd watch the games at my grandparents with the tv sound down and the radio on. they were excellent. ruined me for the future Packers radio replacements (Wayne Laravee and Larry McCarren).

the Bucks radio guy Howard David is outstanding. 

as is Badgers radio guy Matt LePay

Users who are viewing this thread