What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whitehead or Alonso (1 Viewer)

skampdiddy

Footballguy
I hate starting players on Thursday night and Alonso is also listed as questionable with a hamstring injury, although he did practice in full yesterday.

I have Tahir Whitehead and figured he would light it up last week with Levy out, but only managed 4.75 points.  Anyone know what happened to him last week and would you start him over Alonso this week?

I'm already starting Kwon Alexander and Kuechly, but need a 3rd.  Any advice would be great, thanks!

I was just looking at another thread and found the Rotoworld week 4 IDP report, which said this about Whitehead:

"One of my favorite bargain IDP linebackers coming into this season was Tahir Whitehead and while he achieved double-digit tackles his first two weeks he laid an egg Week 3 with only three total tackles.  Looking deeper there were many factors contributing to his poor effort and first one was Tahir himself. He is an undersized MIKE that uses his speed and ability to “get skinny” to cut through potential blocks to get to the ball carrier but got physically dominated last week for the most part. He did make a few quick reads to meet Eddie Lacy at the LOS, however Whitehead was simply overpowered by the running back who looks about 80 pounds heavier on film. Whitehead had two missed tackles on Lacy and when he was helping to make plays the Green Bay Packer home scoring crew was not doing him any favors. He was worthy of 2-3 more possible assisted tackles but was not awarded on the stat sheet and since tackles are not an official NFL statistic, sometimes this is just the way it goes. The Lions’ play-caller also had two solo tackles called back due to penalties so at the end of the day if things had fallen a little differently he could have had anywhere from seven-nine total tackles. Whitehead’s stat sheet also suffered because unlike the first two weeks, he was aligned at the LOS quite often in passing situations and attempted to supply interior pressure on the center rather than drop in coverage like he usually does. This change in scheme was likely made in an attempt to get more pressure on Aaron Rodgers with Ezekiel Ansah out but Whitehead was totally ineffective doing so. These all sound like a lot of excuses but I am done making them for Whitehead; He had a very poor game, it’s as simple as that but nevertheless, a lot of things had to go against him to have such a rough IDP outing. The Lions’ linebacking corps has so many injuries that even if he does not improve his performance there are brighter days soon ahead for him in fantasy football simply due to opportunity (think Paul Worrilow in 2013-2014). I still think Whitehead can be a borderline top 25 IDP linebacker for the rest of 2016 but given how poorly he has looked in nearly all facets of the game these past two weeks, I have very little confidence that he is a long term answer for the Lions or your dynasty/keeper leagues."

I'm leaning towards starting him and hoping for a better performance this week.  One would hope Jordan Howard is easier to bring down than Eddy Lacy.

I would definitely start Whitehead over Alonzo this week.  He has been fairly consistent and last week seems like an anomaly.  Bears should be behind and pressing so I see a much better game for Whitehead this week.

These are both guys I put in the "Paul Worrilow" group.  They are not good in real life but can accrue stats in fantasy.  That said, I like the matchup for Tahir this week more.... I could see either laying Humpty Dumpty or either exploding for a massive line.

Users who are viewing this thread