What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tool - Lateralus and other albums (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
Was reminded of them because Danny Carey has been filling the drum chair for the Seth Meyers band this week.

Don't know much about them. Know they toured with King Crimson at one time, and a little about the leader/vocalist and drummer. Played Lateralus recently and thought it was great, might be getting that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCDjP4JnpGU

Any thoughts on the band in general, favorite albums, etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They might be the most talented band in hard rock/metal in the last 20 years, if not ever.  Carey is a frigging master.

Lateralus is my favorite of their albums, Aenima would probably be a close second.  10,000 Days is good too.  Undertow is probably my least favorite.  Not counting Salival and Opiate, as neither is a true album in the purest sense of the word.

This guy does a lot of Tool drum covers if you're interested in seeing what Carey is doing... this is a good one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cid-tgW2Lw

I've seen them twice in concert (Which is a lot for me).  Started listening to them between Aenima and Lateralus.  Saw them in concert twice, after Lateralus and 10,000 Days were released.  I like all of the albums, but I think that by the time I started listening to them, Undertow may be too metalish for me.

Thanks for the input so far.

I have eclectic musical taste, but used to listen to more hard rock/metal (if that is what Tool is) - Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin.

Later/lately listening to more Miles, Coltrane, Floyd, Beatles, Bowie.

But always nice to learn/hear new stuff. Haven't listened to the radio in years, just tend to listen to my library.

I have eclectic musical taste, but used to listen to more hard rock/metal (if that is what Tool is) - Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin.

But always nice to learn/hear new stuff. Haven't listened to the radio in years, just tend to listen to my library.
Recommended tracks : Parabola, The Grudge, Lateralus, Ticks & Leeches, The Pot, Vicarious, Jambi, Right In Two, Push-it (had to add hyphen due to language filter), Hooker With a Penis, Stinkfist, Aenima, Forty-Six and Two, Schism, Intolerance, Prison Sex, Eulogy (among a million others)

One of my favorite bands.  They do an awesome live show.  Danny Carey is so fun go watch ...just kills the drums the end of 46&2. Right in Two was cool to see live too.

You may want to check out A Perfect Circle as well (Maynards other band, more mellow, and I think he's been doing some work with Puscifier too)

They might be the most talented band in hard rock/metal in the last 20 years, if not ever.  Carey is a frigging master.

Lateralus is my favorite of their albums, Aenima would probably be a close second.  10,000 Days is good too.  Undertow is probably my least favorite.  Not counting Salival and Opiate, as neither is a true album in the purest sense of the word.

This guy does a lot of Tool drum covers if you're interested in seeing what Carey is doing... this is a good one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cid-tgW2Lw
Thanks EG, good stuff.

My favorite rock drummers are probably Bill Bruford and Neil Peart (saw live four X and once, respectively). I just haven't listened to Zep much in a while or probably Bonzo should properly be a lot higher. And of course Moon was a monster.

For jazz, the late Tony Williams and Billy Cobham (both played for Miles) were and still are my favorites. 

* I'm starting with Aenima (great rec) and Lateralus. Cranking it late at night will help me write the Rookies column. :hifive: :thumbup: :)  

Billy Cobham with guitarist John McLaughlin 

Right Off from Tribute To Jack Johnson by Miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30t937GYnCA

Inner Mounting Flame by The Mahavishnu Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ofh_S52Uks

MO live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD36-Zn2bA4

Bruford with King Crimson live Frejus '82

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64swVmq_XPk

and Japan '84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvE3dYKHxwU

My Ranking is pretty much the opposite of yours - lol

ETA: Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, 10,000 Days, Lateralus ;)

I seem to recall the artwork for Ænima CD being a touch....interesting. 
All thier art and live show videos are interesting,  but yeah I think that's the one with the guy sucking himself off?

Also The guitarist Adam Jones does a lot of the art / animation stuff I believe 

Awesome band---very intricate and progressive style--my favorite album is Lateralus--not only because of the music itself--but also because of the visuals and artwork that Alex Grey worked with them on.   

This... many folks don't appreciate the musicianship/creativity that goes into Tool's music. They're like a metal radiohead... in that they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they're pushing boundaries 

one of my favorite bands. Oddly, for being a somewhat "heavy" act, most of their songs have a very calming effect on me. 

Saw A Perfect Circle live a few years ago and it was a cool experience in that it was a different vibe and approach to what many "rock" concerts are.   I still don't listen to them a ton on my own free time, but I would see them again for sure, and came away appreciating what they do and their abilities. 

They can get a bit on the metal side, but I am pretty sure the Pink Floyd fan in you will appreciate the musicianship and talent that these guys have.   Like others have mentioned, I think Lateralus is their best, mostly because I love Danny's drumming on it.  I always shake my head when I think about the wiki entry for the song Schism:

"Schism" is renowned for its use of uncommon time signatures and the frequency of its meter changes. In one analysis of the song, the song alters meter 47 times.[4] The song begins with two bars of 5/4, followed by one bar of 4/4, followed by bars of alternating 5/8 and 7/8, until the first interlude, which consists of alternating bars of 6/8 and 7/8.

The following verse exhibits a similar pattern to the first, alternating bars of 5/8 and 7/8. The next section is bars of 6/4 followed by one bar of 11/8. This takes the song back into alternating 5/8 and 7/8. Another 6/8 and 7/8 section follows, and after this the song goes into repeating 7/8 bars.

The middle section is subsequently introduced, consisting of three bars of 6/8, one bar of 3/8, and one bar of 3/4 repeating several times. At one point it interrupts with two bars of 6/8 followed by a bar of 4/8, twice. A single bar of 4/8 is played before the meter switches back to a set of 6/8 for two bars and 2/4 for one bar. This repeats, setting up another section: two bars of 9/8 followed by a bar of 10/8, that pattern again, and then a single bar of 9/8 followed by a bar of 6/8 and then a bar of 7/8. Next is a set of two bars of 6/8 followed by a bar of 2/8 repeated four times then a single bar of 6/8. The outro has alternating bars of 5/8 and 7/8, ending with alternating 6/8, 2/8 that one could interpret as pulsing with a 4/4 feel.

The band has referred to the time signature as 6.5/8

My 2nd favorite album is Undertow, mostly because that was one of my most played albums in HS.  I saw the video for Sober and have been hooked since. 

I guess depending on your taste and tolerance for the metal side would be my suggestion for what album after Lateralus to try.  My gut feeling is to give 10,000 Days a listen after Lateralus.  It's probably more prog than their other 3, but I think it has a great blend of all their sounds. (again, the Floyd fan will love the 17mins+ that is Wings for Marie Parts 1 and 2)  Aenima is my least favorite, mostly just due to the interludes irritating me if I am not the mood. 

This... many folks don't appreciate the musicianship/creativity that goes into Tool's music. They're like a metal radiohead... in that they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they're pushing boundaries 

one of my favorite bands. Oddly, for being a somewhat "heavy" act, most of their songs have a very calming effect on me. 
Well ####, now nobody on these boards will want to listen to them.  ;)

and the angel said unto to me, "these are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!"

I was 14 when Undertow came out and it blew my ####### mind.  The videos, the sound, and Disgustipated.  Would listen to that all the time, mesmerized.  I can appreciate now how the musicianship of the later albums is great, but Undertow will always be special.  Then I got into Life of Agony and Cannibal Corpse and others, and let's just say I have had a lot of ####ed-up thoughts in my head.  But I digress . . .

Not pleased that they are not on Spotify though.

Was at a Blue Jays' game last month and in the beginning of the ninth they started playing Sober.  Not like the closer's music or anything (they were losing like 13-2), just started playing the song.  I was like, oh yeah, I guess this is a pretty cool intro to be playing, even though it's not really mainstream.  Then they let it run and let it get into the lyrics, and I'm like "are they going to get into Jesus won't you ####### whistle?  damn, Canadians are pretty liberal."  they did cut it off before, but it got pretty damn close. 

Listening to Carey's drumming makes me think of the old Blues Guitarists who "must have sold their soul to the devil"  to be able to play an instrument that well and that different. The timing is off the charts crazy, and he plays it so effortlessly at times.  I have no idea how you can have that much perfect body control while keeping it all straight in your mind. 

Evilgrin 72 said:
Recommended tracks : Parabola, The Grudge, Lateralus, Ticks & Leeches, The Pot, Vicarious, Jambi, Right In Two, Push-it (had to add hyphen due to language filter), Hooker With a Penis, Stinkfist, Aenima, Forty-Six and Two, Schism, Intolerance, Prison Sex, Eulogy (among a million others)
I love that you have to add a hyphen to push it but hooker with a penis is okay :lmao:

and the angel said unto to me, "these are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!"

I was 14 when Undertow came out and it blew my ####### mind.  The videos, the sound, and Disgustipated.  Would listen to that all the time, mesmerized.  I can appreciate now how the musicianship of the later albums is great, but Undertow will always be special.  Then I got into Life of Agony and Cannibal Corpse and others, and let's just say I have had a lot of ####ed-up thoughts in my head.  But I digress . . .

Not pleased that they are not on Spotify though.

Was at a Blue Jays' game last month and in the beginning of the ninth they started playing Sober.  Not like the closer's music or anything (they were losing like 13-2), just started playing the song.  I was like, oh yeah, I guess this is a pretty cool intro to be playing, even though it's not really mainstream.  Then they let it run and let it get into the lyrics, and I'm like "are they going to get into Jesus won't you ####### whistle?  damn, Canadians are pretty liberal."  they did cut it off before, but it got pretty damn close. 
I read they don't want to do the spotify thing because they want people listen to their full albums, not songs here and there. 

Listening to Carey's drumming makes me think of the old Blues Guitarists who "must have sold their soul to the devil"  to be able to play an instrument that well and that different. The timing is off the charts crazy, and he plays it so effortlessly at times.  I have no idea how you can have that much perfect body control while keeping it all straight in your mind. 
He is an interesting dude for sure.  From his wiki page:

Carey's popularity among drummers and non-drummers alike stems from the diversity of his sound and dynamics through his years of learning jazz music, his technical ability, frequent use of odd time signatures, polyrhythms and polymeters. He has stated in interviews that he effectively treats his feet as he does his hands: he practices rudiments (used for sticking techniques) and even snare drum solos with his feet to improve his double bass drumming, hi-hat control and foot independence.

In search of new techniques, Carey has studied tabla with Aloke Dutta, who can be heard playing on the live version of the song "Pu####" (from Salival). This is especially apparent on tracks such as "Disposition" (Lateralus) or "Right in Two" (10,000 Days), for which Carey has recorded the tabla parts himself in studio. The tabla (and other percussive instruments) used in Tool's music are replicated live using the Mandala pads (in fact the pads are also used when recording in the studio, a notable example being the tabla solo of "Right in Two" from 10,000 Days).

He has also stated that when he is playing to an odd time signature, he tries to drum to the "feel" of the song and establish general "inner pulse" for the given time signature instead of fully counting it out.

KarmaPolice said:
They can get a bit on the metal side, but I am pretty sure the Pink Floyd fan in you will appreciate the musicianship and talent that these guys have.   Like others have mentioned, I think Lateralus is their best, mostly because I love Danny's drumming on it.  I always shake my head when I think about the wiki entry for the song Schism:

"Schism" is renowned for its use of uncommon time signatures and the frequency of its meter changes. In one analysis of the song, the song alters meter 47 times.[4] The song begins with two bars of 5/4, followed by one bar of 4/4, followed by bars of alternating 5/8 and 7/8, until the first interlude, which consists of alternating bars of 6/8 and 7/8.

The following verse exhibits a similar pattern to the first, alternating bars of 5/8 and 7/8. The next section is bars of 6/4 followed by one bar of 11/8. This takes the song back into alternating 5/8 and 7/8. Another 6/8 and 7/8 section follows, and after this the song goes into repeating 7/8 bars.

The middle section is subsequently introduced, consisting of three bars of 6/8, one bar of 3/8, and one bar of 3/4 repeating several times. At one point it interrupts with two bars of 6/8 followed by a bar of 4/8, twice. A single bar of 4/8 is played before the meter switches back to a set of 6/8 for two bars and 2/4 for one bar. This repeats, setting up another section: two bars of 9/8 followed by a bar of 10/8, that pattern again, and then a single bar of 9/8 followed by a bar of 6/8 and then a bar of 7/8. Next is a set of two bars of 6/8 followed by a bar of 2/8 repeated four times then a single bar of 6/8. The outro has alternating bars of 5/8 and 7/8, ending with alternating 6/8, 2/8 that one could interpret as pulsing with a 4/4 feel.

The band has referred to the time signature as 6.5/8

My 2nd favorite album is Undertow, mostly because that was one of my most played albums in HS.  I saw the video for Sober and have been hooked since. 

I guess depending on your taste and tolerance for the metal side would be my suggestion for what album after Lateralus to try.  My gut feeling is to give 10,000 Days a listen after Lateralus.  It's probably more prog than their other 3, but I think it has a great blend of all their sounds. (again, the Floyd fan will love the 17mins+ that is Wings for Marie Parts 1 and 2)  Aenima is my least favorite, mostly just due to the interludes irritating me if I am not the mood. 
I picked up a used copy of 10,000 Days - the Floyd allusion, if not comp, piqued my interest (didn't have one for Aenima, and the copy of Lateralus looked banged up), but I'll probably pick up the other two soon. This way I can listen to their latest (albeit a decade ago :) ). Also got the Blu-ray of Hendrix's Electric Church - Atlanta Pop Festival which came out last year.

Thanks again to all the great recs by everybody, appreciate it, knew I could count on the good old FFA.    

He is an interesting dude for sure.  From his wiki page:

Carey's popularity among drummers and non-drummers alike stems from the diversity of his sound and dynamics through his years of learning jazz music, his technical ability, frequent use of odd time signatures, polyrhythms and polymeters. He has stated in interviews that he effectively treats his feet as he does his hands: he practices rudiments (used for sticking techniques) and even snare drum solos with his feet to improve his double bass drumming, hi-hat control and foot independence.

In search of new techniques, Carey has studied tabla with Aloke Dutta, who can be heard playing on the live version of the song "Pu####" (from Salival). This is especially apparent on tracks such as "Disposition" (Lateralus) or "Right in Two" (10,000 Days), for which Carey has recorded the tabla parts himself in studio. The tabla (and other percussive instruments) used in Tool's music are replicated live using the Mandala pads (in fact the pads are also used when recording in the studio, a notable example being the tabla solo of "Right in Two" from 10,000 Days).

He has also stated that when he is playing to an odd time signature, he tries to drum to the "feel" of the song and establish general "inner pulse" for the given time signature instead of fully counting it out.
As a total novice to Tool in general and Carey specifically, based on this description, he sounds like the Elvin Jones (master of polyrhythms) of Progressive Metal.

Listening to first track of 10,000 Days (Vicarious).

Carey is a manimal. An animanimal.

I might have put the drums up a little more prominently in the mix, but I'll have to listen to the rest.

Slapdash said:
Thought this was going to be announcing the new album :kicksrock:  
Um, actually I read earlier this year that they ARE planning a new album. A great band for sure, although after seeing Maynard's store in Jerome, Arizona, I lost a good amount of respect for him. The dude's always written about #### the establishment, sticking it to the man, and down with money grubbing whores. Well, this store is filled with nothing but sighed paraphernalia. Keychains, t-shirts, posters, coffee cups, etc. Complete with hot emo chick behind the counter. It was like walking into a Hot Topic store in the 2000's, squared. So, Maynard's just another hypocrite after all, albeit a talented one. 

I saw Tool open up for the Melvins back in the 90's, I think it was for the Aenima tour. ####### amazing show. My ears have never stopped ringing since, literally.  :(

Lot of instances of what I would call counterpoint in songs like Vicarious and Wings For Marie (Part 1), of what I've heard so far. Like a hard rock/progressive metal version of a Bach Fugue. Great combo of musical complexity, technical precision, power and intensity. 

Tool is definitely top 10 for me. Undertow holds a special place for me but Lateralus is their best work IMo. Every song is almost a perfect track. The Parabol-Parabola combo back to back is their best song to me. Has everything they do well all in one.

Great band.

Good thing no one is just linking to individual songs on YouTube or anything then.
I think listening beginning to end is best, but I have been listening to them since the mid 90's. This approach may be a bit over whelming for someone just starting to get into them. We had a 20+ year head start. Start off with some high points then go the whole album approach later if it's working for you.

I think listening beginning to end is best, but I have been listening to them since the mid 90's. This approach may be a bit over whelming for someone just starting to get into them. We had a 20+ year head start. Start off with some high points then go the whole album approach later if it's working for you.
I'm not opposed to the album concept, just not sure how in today's day and age this is really an effective strategy.  No one is buying album and people could listen to it beginning to end on Spotify more easily than on YouTube or what have you.

anyway, not that this thread should be focused on that.

Old APC-Tool play list on Windows MP:

Passive

The Hollow

Judith

Orestes

3 Libras

The Package

The Noose

Weak & Powerless

Blue

Vanishing

The Outsider

Jambi

Forty Six & 2

H with a P

Aenima

Third Eye (Live Leery version)

Push it

The Grudge

Schism

Parabol into Parapola

Lateralus

Looks like I'm missing the Third Eye with Bill Hicks album track which is great.  All A Perfect Circle I think down to The outsider, And "the nurse who loved me" always cracks me up from APC.

Could probably add another 10 songs that are Tool.  I think that was created after my buddy got a ticket to see APC in a small venue here.  GD, also missing Pet and "counting bodies like sheep".

Not on an album but one that I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7L6LfEZJo

Diary of an FBG.

Old APC-Tool play list on Windows MP:

Passive

The Hollow

Judith

Orestes

3 Libras

The Package

The Noose

Weak & Powerless

Blue

Vanishing

The Outsider

Jambi

Forty Six & 2

H with a P

Aenima

Third Eye (Live Leery version)

Push it

The Grudge

Schism

Parabol into Parapola

Lateralus

Looks like I'm missing the Third Eye with Bill Hicks album track which is great.  All A Perfect Circle I think down to The outsider, And "the nurse who loved me" always cracks me up from APC.

Could probably add another 10 songs that are Tool.  I think that was created after my buddy got a ticket to see APC in a small venue here.  GD, also missing Pet and "counting bodies like sheep".

Not on an album but one that I love, also grinding on Paz Lenchantin until she cracks up at the beginning is golden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7L6LfEZJo

Diary of an FBG.

I'm not opposed to the album concept, just not sure how in today's day and age this is really an effective strategy.  No one is buying album and people could listen to it beginning to end on Spotify more easily than on YouTube or what have you.

anyway, not that this thread should be focused on that.
:no:

Users who are viewing this thread