What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Serious question: worst team in the NFL - make your case (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Watching the Dolphins, they may be a strong contender. But I can't call them the worst. They have some pieces on both sides of the ball - notably they have a QB who has shown potential. They look badly coached / undisciplined. 

My Niners have no QB, and lack talent at the skill positions,  but they have a decent OL, some pieces on D, and so far appear to be playing cohesively. I need to see more, but without a QB they're certainly in my bottom 3. 

Browns are a mess, but they go out and somehow score points. There are pieces here too. 

Hard to call the saints the worst with all that offensive firepower, yet there they are, 0-3. It's been said that you are your record. 

I honestly don't know the answer here....help me figure it out.

Make a case for who the worst 3 teams in the NFL are, & why. 

I'd have to say the Bears are as bad as anyone.  No defense, Cutler is terrible.  Alshon Jeffrey the only solid player.  They're awful.

Dolphins, if only because the rudder attached to Tannehill's backside broke tonight.

Suh's contract is neutral, at best

The Titans aren't on this list?

Dolphins are right at the top too, mainly because their owner is clearly borderline ######ed.

I think those are top 2. Lot of other contenders. The Bears are certainly up there too. Very little talent anywhere and still getting worse.

I'm a Saints fan and think they have to be in the conversation. Without a doubt, the Saints defense is the worst unit in the league on either side of the ball and it's probably not close. Going for 4 out of 5 years 31st or worse in yardage allowed. Some weekend warrior downing a daiquiri at Pat O'Briens right now may be starting at CB next game.

Bears

Dolphins

Jaguars

Bears worst cause they have no QB. Tannehill ain't much, but at least he shows sporadic flashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Titans aren't on this list?

Dolphins are right at the top too, mainly because their owner is clearly borderline ######ed.

I think those are top 2. Lot of other contenders. The Bears are certainly up there too. Very little talent anywhere and still getting worse.
:boxing:

they're in the discussion I guess but their 3 games have been surprisingly close (although the Vikings were playing hill) and it's easy to see the talent they're developing.  Lebeau has the defense playing pretty well, above average anyway.  And they have a franchise qb.  They probably beat Houston this week. 

Cleveland is a disaster and have been for years.  The Rams offense is atrocious and their defense hasn't performed like we thought it would.  

The saints would be in the conversation but at least they have Brees (who didn't look good last week) and some other talent on offense.  When Brees hangs it up, watch out.

My votes go up north to Cleveland and Chicago. 

Easily the Bears. Since their Super Bowl loss to the Colts it has been a steady descent into the latrine. Several coaches, GM changes and bad drafts have contributed to the stench. Toss in the injuries, a lousy field and a clueless cadre of stooges in the C-suite to round out the dysfunction. They get the edge over the Browns based on the fact that this is an organization that co-chartered professional football.

Easily the Bears. Since their Super Bowl loss to the Colts it has been a steady descent into the latrine. Several coaches, GM changes and bad drafts have contributed to the stench. Toss in the injuries, a lousy field and a clueless cadre of stooges in the C-suite to round out the dysfunction. They get the edge over the Browns based on the fact that this is an organization that co-chartered professional football.
If history is a factor, the Lions become part of the discussion.  At least da bears have been to a super bowl.  But I assume op meant right now. 

I'm a Dolphins fan and, while I think they are definitely in the top 3 or 5 of the worst, I'm going to have to go with Cleveland as the worst. Just look at how long they have been putrid.

Titans are on a lot of lists & they just beat Detroit at Ford Field.

Bears are on almost every list.

I'll defer making my case for the Lions until Sunday night.

The Bears look like the worst team right now.  The QB situation is a mess.  With Alshon always dinged up, the WR position is concerning.  The RB position may be fixed by Howard but we do not know how that is going to turn out. 

The Browns would be second on my list.  The never catch a break.  They lost their top 2 QBs and now their best WR is going to rehab just as he was set to return to the field.    The Browns are awful as usual but they do score points and have the fun-to-watch Pryor. 

I really am surprised no one said the Bills before me.

They haven't made the playoffs in 17 years. They've had 2 winning seasons in that span, and those were both 9-7. 

Offensively the worse is Chicago. Outside of Jeffrey, who they dont use as much as they should, they are bad everywhere else. 

Defensively the worse is New Orleans. They can't stop anyone out there even though they have some big "names" on defense. (Harper, Vaccaro, Kruger, Fairley, Laurinitus, Anthony). They shouldnt be this bad, but they are putrid. 

What active coach has the most career wins after BB?

Jeff Fisher. 
Unless the Rams go 9-7 this season Fisher will have the new record for most losses by a coach

And back to topic- I say the Bears are the worst right now then Browns and Rams.

Im not really sure I have a Team worth noting.. But,,

It seems like we tend to put too much emphasis on the worst team(s)

Its probably near impossible to get much accomplished when the goal involves instantaneous results.

Did you all hear or see the turnover in Cleveland? 

I suspect theres probably a few teams given a pass, who year in/ year out, settle for 7-9 Seasons or worse..

They probably just need some focus on pass rush, work on secondary, inside of their OLine ettc

Im thinking they probably dont even care to risk a bad draft, or waste a pick..  Lets play it Safe is their mantra!

Personally, I think its terrible when a non-contender drafts a QB early..  Build a dam team! 

The very worst part about the 7-9 teams? 

They can be like the GMen who dont care to put out 110%, and then take the Trophy.

Should the 7-9 team really be 4-12 OR 12-4?

I recall TB putting out an 8-8 product for a period of time..  But ya know I bet that was a 4-12 team working, and making an 8-8 Season..

I could see some stating the Skins were the worst, but ya know I think they won with heart last Season too..

At this moment I think it's the Bears.  Terrible OC who does not know how to call a game.  If they were at full health but right now they have no major play makers that a team has to game plan for.  Here are what most would consider their best players.

Jeffery - Always questionable.  Does well but teams are not afraid

Cutler - Hurt

Long - Playing but hurt

Langford - Hurt

Trevathan - Hurt

McPhee - Hurt

Freeman - Is a stud right now but not teams are worried about him

32. Bears - I just don't think they have the players or the coaching to climb out of the cellar.  See them with the #1 pick next year.  2-14 record is my prediction.

31. 49ers - They got a win vs. the Rams, but they don't look well built for what Chip wants to do without a good QB.  I think they don't get another win until they play the Bears in December. Guessing they win 3-4 games or so.

30. Browns - They have some fight in them and some good pieces, but the QB injury debacle is killing them and now Josh Gordon is a no-show.  I feel sorry for Browns fans, they just can't seem to catch a break.  They'll squeak out a few more wins, but probably looking at 5-11 or 6-10.

Someone else will probably finish below the Browns due to injury or a tough schedule I'm not seeing, but I don't know who that would be at this point.

32. Bears - I just don't think they have the players or the coaching to climb out of the cellar.  See them with the #1 pick next year.  2-14 record is my prediction.

31. 49ers - They got a win vs. the Rams, but they don't look well built for what Chip wants to do without a good QB.  I think they don't get another win until they play the Bears in December. Guessing they win 3-4 games or so.

30. Browns - They have some fight in them and some good pieces, but the QB injury debacle is killing them and now Josh Gordon is a no-show.  I feel sorry for Browns fans, they just can't seem to catch a break.  They'll squeak out a few more wins, but probably looking at 5-11 or 6-10.

Someone else will probably finish below the Browns due to injury or a tough schedule I'm not seeing, but I don't know who that would be at this point.
FWIW, Football Outsiders agrees with you - albeit they've got the order reversed.

Although there are certainly teams out there with worse units on one side of the ball (the Fins' offense yesterday and the Saints' D on Monday both looked like my 8-year-old button-mashing on Madden 17), and teams with worse coaching (Rams with Fisher, Jags with Bradley), only the Bears and 49ers have the unholy trinity of bad O, bad D, and bad coaching. There's a half-dozen teams that check two of the three boxes, but for now at least the Browns have to be at the bottom of that group, because Browns.

Defensively the worse is New Orleans. They can't stop anyone out there even though they have some big "names" on defense. (Harper, Vaccaro, Kruger, Fairley, Laurinitus, Anthony). They shouldn't be this bad, but they are putrid. 
Fwiw the Saints have lost 8 players who had been penciled in as defensive starters in the off-season to injury. The CBs are now something like 4th string. I still have no idea what happened in that Giants game but they managed to hold Eli & Co. to zero TDs. Overall they have lost each of their games on the balance of maybe 1-2 plays.

How can the Dolphins be the worst when there is a winless team that lost to the Dolphins?

Bears and Browns are both winless with scoring differentials of -38 and -30 through 3 games.

They haven't made the playoffs in 17 years. They've had 2 winning seasons in that span, and those were both 9-7. 
The topic is about "right now", not historically - if it's historically the Niners wouldn't be anywhere near a list like this because of some guys named Steve Young, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, etc, etc

i don't see the Bills as a world beater but I really like Tyrod Taylor, they have some beasts in defense,  a very good RB in McCoy, Watkins can be a stud if he gets his foot right.....no way they're in my bottom 5.  

The Bills are nowhere near the worst team this year, not sure why prior years should matter in this conversation.

Buffalo just beat a Superbowl contender that is the most complete team in the NFC. Oh, and they did it without 6 of their best 10 players (Dareus, Watkins, Darby, C Glenn, Ragland, Lawson). There are at least 10 teams clearly worse at this point in the season.

Miami looked bad on the road on Thursday.  Lots of teams do that.  

They have more talent than some of these other teams.  

1.  Cleveland Browns.  No one else is close.  This cupboard is almost completely bare.  No proven WRs, no proven RB, no QB, or even QB prospect on the team, a LT they need to replace soon, four other guys on the O-line you cannot name, the only D-lineman anyone knows is Watkins, because he was a 1st rounder that wore a Samoan skirt to draft night, completely replaceable inside linebackers, and one cornerback.  They look a lot like Oakland in year 2 of the Reggie era, hopefully they can draft their way out of this situation.  Cannot assess the front office yet, it's been one year.  The Browns/Carson Wentz thing isn't looking good so far, I really, really hope he doesn't work out, for your sake, Browns fans.  No one deserves that.  

2. San Francisco 49ers.  The lack of talent is compounded by the clear dysfunction of the front office.  Chip Kelly doesn't look ready to adapt to the NFL, so the NFL will treat his offense the same way it treated Mouse Davis and the Run N Shoot: by kicking the crap out of the QB.  No QB to speak of, no #1 or even #2 WR on the roster, one decent RB,  a LT they have to replace soon, two good looking 3-4 DEs (we hope/think), a stud MLB, and a saety that has good days.  The coach is as likable as a NAMBLA picnic, and the front office has shown zero football instincts.  

3. New Orleans Saints.  They are held together by an aging QB, and a coach that calls a solid offense.  The second Brees is gone, they will stop losing games 45-35, and start losing them 45-7.  One exciting WR, some young parts that are interesting (Thomas, Bell, Rankins), but none of them proven, and some really terrible defensive parts.  Plus a GM that throws money at bad players, and will have wasted the last 6 years of Brees' career by poor cap management.  

I think the debate should only be between the Browns and the Bears. Winner going to the Bears. The browns have a top 5 rusher currently. Their 3rd string QB looks actually half decent like he can manage a game. Trent Dilfer-like. But I don't think you can argue a team is worse than the Bears... 

Any other team just isn't as bad as these two teams. 

SF: They are bad, but not the worst
Buffalo: I actually thought they were a potential playoff team TBH
LA: They're bad but not as bad as the others. They are leading their division... I'd put them in the bottom 5 but not 3.  
Miami: Really? I wouldn't even put them in the bottom 5 in the league. They're better than people think. What's holding them back is Tannehill. I honestly think put most of the middle-of-the-road starting QBs on Miami and they're a playoff team
Tennessee: They have a potential budding star at QB, but that's about it. They need consideration. 
Jacksonville: They are way better than their record but are just playing so bad right now. Surprised no one has said anything about them yet. 

Bottom 5 IMO in order of best to worst:

LA
Tennessee
SF
Cleveland
Chicago

I think Tennessee is trending upward. Their OL & run game is solid, and the Defense is decent.

I think the Colts are bottom-5. Without Luck they're 0-16, with him they may win 7. Still a terrible team.

Bears and no other is close.  Easily one of the worst 2-3 owners, easily one of the worst coaches in terns of the game has passed him by.  Easily one of the worst personnel management departments.  

The Browns and dolphins can look worse at times but I believe more in hue Jackson than the others.  I used to think Gase was going to be good but his handling of personnel is laughable.  Fox is a lost ball in high weeds.  

The titans do not belong in the discussion.  They are improving and doing what they can with what they have.  They just happen to not have much to work with.  The others are just wasting time and talent.  

I think Tennessee is trending upward. Their OL & run game is solid, and the Defense is decent.
Not to mention they actually have a "QB of the future", which to me is one of the major keys. The jury is out on whether Marriotta is the real deal but he's shown a lot of flashes his first couple seasons. That alone eliminates them from being the worst - OL/QB - you can build around that. 

I think the Colts are bottom-5. Without Luck they're 0-16, with him they may win 7. Still a terrible team.
Good call. Luck has been pretty inconsistent - I'm starting to have doubts that he's the next elite QB, but it's hard to say since his OL is terrible. And the defense is pretty awful - definitely bottom 5. 

Im not really sure I have a Team worth noting.. But,,

It seems like we tend to put too much emphasis on the worst team(s)

Its probably near impossible to get much accomplished when the goal involves instantaneous results.

Did you all hear or see the turnover in Cleveland? 

I suspect theres probably a few teams given a pass, who year in/ year out, settle for 7-9 Seasons or worse..

They probably just need some focus on pass rush, work on secondary, inside of their OLine ettc

Im thinking they probably dont even care to risk a bad draft, or waste a pick..  Lets play it Safe is their mantra!

Personally, I think its terrible when a non-contender drafts a QB early.. Build a dam team! 

The very worst part about the 7-9 teams? 

They can be like the GMen who dont care to put out 110%, and then take the Trophy.

Should the 7-9 team really be 4-12 OR 12-4?

I recall TB putting out an 8-8 product for a period of time..  But ya know I bet that was a 4-12 team working, and making an 8-8 Season..

I could see some stating the Skins were the worst, but ya know I think they won with heart last Season too..
For the bold, if you mean reach for a qb who isn't worth a high pick and fail to develop him, I'll agree.  But the Bucs, Titans, Eagles, and a few others are a lot better because they took a qb early. 

For the bold, if you mean reach for a qb who isn't worth a high pick and fail to develop him, I'll agree.  But the Bucs, Titans, Eagles, and a few others are a lot better because they took a qb early. 
All wildly off topic (but since it was Dismattle that's a given) but the Texans and David Carr come to mind. He was one of the best young QBs in the game and that OL just ruined him completely. I think he'd be an elite QB had he been drafted by a more QB-ready team. 

That said, it's chicken and the egg. A team needs a QB to get better - and a team needs to be better to make use of a good QB. You cannot blame a team for taking a QB when building or rebuilding. But you can blame a team for not then also picking up good offensive linemen through the draft and/or FA to protect their investment. And then of course the QB needs good WR to throw to, and a running game to take pressure off.  

So what I'm saying is you need to build a football team.  :unsure:

lol

All wildly off topic (but since it was Dismattle that's a given) but the Texans and David Carr come to mind. He was one of the best young QBs in the game and that OL just ruined him completely. I think he'd be an elite QB had he been drafted by a more QB-ready team. 

That said, it's chicken and the egg. A team needs a QB to get better - and a team needs to be better to make use of a good QB. You cannot blame a team for taking a QB when building or rebuilding. But you can blame a team for not then also picking up good offensive linemen through the draft and/or FA to protect their investment. And then of course the QB needs good WR to throw to, and a running game to take pressure off.  

So what I'm saying is you need to build a football team.  :unsure:

lol
:lmao: :yes:

Yeah, you need a team but the qb will usually have a better impact than any other single position.  Without luck and Brees, the Colts and faints are very much in this conversation.  But then we see the Patriots and remember the coach is king.  

Teams like the Steelers are perennially good because of the stability of the coach.  The panthers are very good now (although maybe not last Sunday) because of stability.  Then you have the browns who change coaches more than trump changes wives. 

Power Monster said:
Jesus that's depressing (because it's true)

massraider said:
1.  Cleveland Browns.  No one else is close.  This cupboard is almost completely bare.  No proven WRs, no proven RB, no QB, or even QB prospect on the team, a LT they need to replace soon, four other guys on the O-line you cannot name, the only D-lineman anyone knows is Watkins, because he was a 1st rounder that wore a Samoan skirt to draft night, completely replaceable inside linebackers, and one cornerback.  They look a lot like Oakland in year 2 of the Reggie era, hopefully they can draft their way out of this situation.  Cannot assess the front office yet, it's been one year.  The Browns/Carson Wentz thing isn't looking good so far, I really, really hope he doesn't work out, for your sake, Browns fans.  No one deserves that.  
This.  You're arguing for the 4th spot with the Browns taking 1, 2 and 3.

Niners will not win another game and will be picking first next April. 

49ers

Browns

Bears

Titans

Saints

Niners will not win another game and will be picking first next April. 
I sure hope so because they can't even seem to lose right these days. And the one time they had the 1st overall in recent memory they took Alex Smith over local Cal product Aaron Rodgers, because the Yorks are a cursed pack of clueless losers who have brought down a plague upon SF Bay Area sports. 

I sure hope so because they can't even seem to lose right these days. And the one time they had the 1st overall in recent memory they took Alex Smith over local Cal product Aaron Rodgers, because the Yorks are a cursed pack of clueless losers who have brought down a plague upon SF Bay Area sports. 
I remember thinking they should take Braylon Edwards.  Who ended up going to the cursed Browns instead. 

Users who are viewing this thread