What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hey you kids, get off my lawn! *Random rant thread* (1 Viewer)

Jrodicus

Footballguy
Went back to college last spring because I needed some continuing education credits for a professional recertification.  Only 3 non-elective courses left to have an Associate degree in a field different than my Bachelor's, so I took a Physics class (haven't had a math class this millennium and never took Physics).

Class was okay.  Learned a lot.  Prof was okay, but most of the class was working in groups to figure things out.  Many of the 18-20 year-olds didn't read the book, so I'm the guy explaining it to them (even though I just learned it myself).  I'm also the kind of guy that wants the class to keep moving along, instead of 5 minutes of dead air after each time the Prof asks a question, so I blurt out answers (some end up being right, some are wrong) so he can move on. 

Eventually start getting the usual suspects asking for help on homework.  I am between Gen X/Gen Y, so they see an older guy that can maybe help.  I get it.  Some of them just want to copy, but most of them tried and are just looking for confirmation or legitimately don't understand.  No worries, I help where I can, and many times I learn more from them than what I help.  Not a bad experience overall.

Decided to bite the bullet and keep on going to wrap up that piece of paper to hang on the wall.  Taking another class this fall.  Sucks that it's an evening class 2 nights a week and I don't get home until kids are in bed, but hey, that's life.

A couple classes in, we're looking at probability tables.  Prof makes a statement about distributions and population data that doesn't make sense to me.  Decide to wait after class to ask him to explain the answer or if he misspoke (some don't like being corrected in front of class, so decide it's better to wait just in case it was accidental on his part).  Next Prof asks a question and rest of the class gets a deer in the headlights look.  It's a pretty easy answer, but I've had a long day, and I don't want to be "that guy" in every freakin' class.  Worry starts to come over the Prof's face that nobody is answering, then starts saying how basic, 8th grade level math this answer is (he's right) and questioning if anyone paid attention in school.  Guy is from India, and I can't have him dissing us like that, because 'Murica...so I blurt out the answer.  His eyes light up, happy someone said it, but much of the rest of the class looks even more confused.  Asks me to explain more, I give the right answer, then he asks for my name (code for "I am going to call on you any time I need an answer before I can move on" - I know the drill).  Kid from Physics recognizes me (okay enough kid, but asked for homework help often without trying it himself first).  Tells the rest of the class that I was a "Rockstar" in Physics class.  Thanks, I guess?

Class ends and kid comes over...with like 3-4 others.  Ask how I got the answer...tell them it's a ratio.  Blank stares.  Still don't get it.  Show them how to pro-rate percentage based on the difference in incremental change.  Start to get it, but then tell me I'm not doing it right.  Explain why it's right.  I'm tired, class has been over for like 15 minutes now, and Prof has left...so much for my question.  Kids asking to take pictures of my calculation scribbles so they can use it to solve homework assignment.  Whatever, knock yourself out.  Physic kid thanks me for the help, other kids don't say a word.

Next class, 1st homework is due.  I get there 10 minutes early...because I haven't started.  No worries, saw it was easy when it was assigned, only 3 questions.  Won't take long.

Kids from previous class - not Physics kid - come over to ask for help.  "Hey, what did you get for number 1?"  "I didn't."  Sees blank paper.  "Oh, you haven't started?"  You can see the blank paper, bud.  What do you think?  Just say "Nope."  Goes back to his desk, looks annoyed. 

Now 5 minutes left.  Got problem 1 done, starting number 2.  Different, not Physics kid, comes over.  "How did you solve number 3?"  "Working on 2, not there yet."  "Well, how would you solve number 3?"  How would I solve it?  I'd solve it after I solve number 2, that's now.  Just look at him.  First kid, "You're on 2?  What did you get for 1?"  Prof walks, rest of the class walks up front to turn in homework.  Only 2 minutes left.  Still working on problem 2.  Not turning homework in until Prof asks for it.

Get off my lawn!  I don't even know your names.  I barely remember Physic kid's name.  We've had no conversation that didn't involve me giving you an answer or explaining something to you.  I don't owe you anything.  You can see I'm busy.  I told you I was busy.  It is not my duty to make sure that you followed the basic steps that I already showed you correctly.  Maybe if you had paid attention in any math class you've had 8th grade you wouldn't be asking to be spoon fed all the freaking time.  I came to class early to work on this easy assignment, not hold your hands.  Let me get my crap done first, ask nicely instead of like you are entitled, and then I'll help if I can.  This is why older generations don't like our generation.

Teacher starts class.  Sees pile of homework.  Says, "Everyone turned in their homework?  I take it no one has any questions?  I have not asked for it yet; it does not have to be turned until the end of class.  Next time, ask questions regarding your homework at the start of class if you have any."  Finish homework during class, turn in at the end.  I like this Prof.

Wish these kids were all  wearing penny loafers and studying furiously all the time like they were back in the 90's.  

That's how I remember it.  

Whats all this fuss I keep hearing about violins on television? Now why don't parents want their children to see violins on television? Why, I thought the Leonard Burnstein concerts were just lovely. Now, if they only show the violins after 11:00 at night, the little babies will all be asleep. And they wont learn any music appreciation. Why, they'll end up wanting to play guitar, and bongo drums. And go to Africa and join these rock and roll outfits. And they wont drink milk! I say there should be more violins on television! And less game shows! Its terrible!

:rant:

[/rant]

Exactly, he didn't agree with something wrong the professor said and was going to ask him about it, I want to know what it is. 
It has to do with population data and normal distribution.

We needed to design a workbench that would be at the correct height for 90% of the population.  To do that, we are to look at the height range of 5th percentile female to 95th percentile male.  We are to assume that the workforce is split 50/50 female/male.

My question was this - "How do you end up with 90% of the combined population if you are removing 5% of each population?" 

Any hot chicks in your class?

How old are you?

Will you be pledging for a frat?
Engineering class - what do you think?
Older than l33t.
Not this time around.  Still trying to get over the death of my first college love, Fawn Leibowitz.

Whats all this fuss I keep hearing about violins on television? Now why don't parents want their children to see violins on television? Why, I thought the Leonard Burnstein concerts were just lovely. Now, if they only show the violins after 11:00 at night, the little babies will all be asleep. And they wont learn any music appreciation. Why, they'll end up wanting to play guitar, and bongo drums. And go to Africa and join these rock and roll outfits. And they wont drink milk! I say there should be more violins on television! And less game shows! Its terrible!

[/rant]
Actually Emily, it is violence on television that people are complaining about. 

[/rant]
Actually Emily, it is violence on television that people are complaining about. 
Oh. Well that's different.

Nevermind...

We needed to design a workbench that would be at the correct height for 90% of the population.  To do that, we are to look at the height range of 5th percentile female to 95th percentile male.  We are to assume that the workforce is split 50/50 female/male.

My question was this - "How do you end up with 90% of the combined population if you are removing 5% of each population?" 
5% of 50% of the population + 5% of the other 50% = 5% of 100% of the population :grad:

i'd be glad I didn't get to ask that question, iibh

5% of 50% of the population + 5% of the other 50% = 5% of 100% of the population :grad:
Exactly.

I did get a chance to ask him later (unfortunately during class when he made the statement again), and at first he stumbled with the explanation that 5% + 5% = 10%.  I followed through with showing 95/100 + 95/100 = 190/200 = 95%.  He got my point and basically said, "I'm not sure why they say 90% of the population, but this is the correct way of calculating it.  It's probably just a term and not meant to be considered an actual calculation."

Go to Subway drive-through for lunch.  Turkey breast, Italian bread, 12", pepperjack, all the veggies, S&P, vinegar, spicy mustard, a little mayo.  Kid does a fine job taking my order - repeats everything back to me, has it all right, doesn't try to get me to buy a drink or cookies or make it a meal or anything else.

Pull up to pay.  He got the total right, made the right change for the $20 that I gave him, waited patiently for me to put the bills in my wallet before handing me my order.

Get the change away and grab the sandwich.  Make eye contact.  Neither of us say anything.

What are you waiting for kid?  You want me to say thank you?  Thank you for allowing me to give you money to provide me a service so that you have a job?  Thank you for not spitting on my food?  Back in my day, we always said, "Thank you and have nice day" to our customers.  What are you waiting for, kid?  Say it!  SAY IT!

Awkward silence for 5 seconds.  Finally break eye contact and put my vehicle in gear.  Kid says, "Have a good one," I say, "You too."

That is why you dont ever want to look like a know it all in any class of any kind, no matter how much of an expert you are. You will be taken advantage of either by your peers or prof.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm liking that Subway moment. I always say "thanks," and I'm firmly in my forties. Doesn't hurt...just...when somebody gives you food and takes care of your needs with attention and alacrity, you thank them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread