What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jake Butt - Retired from the NFL 07.29.2021 (1 Viewer)

Witten comparison seems appropriate. He's not going make big plays, but he is very reliable, catches everything, shows some surprising niftiness in evading tacklers. 

Witten comparison seems appropriate. He's not going make big plays, but he is very reliable, catches everything, shows some surprising niftiness in evading tacklers. 
I agree with the comparison but with him I also think it boils down to who drafts him. He has the potential to play at a very high level.

Tex

I've been watching him in person at home games for several years:

1) really good hands...rarely drops catchable balls and is good not letting the ball get to his pads before catching it

2) OK speed -- his biggest problem has been getting separation when the opponent makes a point of tight coverage

3) good blocker -- not just a receiver

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at that hole created by Butt

Butt got drilled from behind on that play

okay I'm done... 

Michigan senior TE Jake Butt was named the winner of the John Mackey Award.
The John Mackey is awarded annually to the nation's best tight end. In a statement, Butt said, "One thing [C]oach Harbaugh says, 'A rising tide raises all ships.' So it's great to win this award. I want to thank the guys in this group; this is our award, really it's not a one-man award." The 6-foot-6, 250-pound senior finished his 2016 campaign having caught 43 passes for 518 yards and four touchdowns. He has one more game left in his collegiate career (the Orange Bowl on December 30, against Florida State) and then it will be on to the NFL Draft. An NFC personnel executive comped him to Jason Witten in September.

Source: The Detroit News 
Dec 10 - 5:02 PM

Michigan senior TE Jake Butt suffered a leg injury in the first half of the Orange Bowl and will not return.
Butt's leg buckled awkwardly after he recorded a second-quarter catch. He stayed down and was surrounded by trainers, but was eventually able to walk off the field under his own power. The 6-foot-6, 237-pounder jogged into the locker room, but will not return to the game. Butt is one of the top draft-eligible tight ends in the 2017 pool and has drawn comps to Tyler Eifert and Jason Witten.

Source: NFL.com 
Dec 30 - 11:06 PM

lod001 said:
Good NFL TE. Not a great FF TE. He has no where near the upside of Njoku, Hodges r Engram as far as fantasy football.
Butt seems reliable with the occasional explosion.

lod001 said:
Good NFL TE. Not a great FF TE. He has no where near the upside of Njoku, Hodges r Engram as far as fantasy football.
I'll have to disagree with that. I love the athletic upside of a guy like Njoku and he'll blow the combine away but I've found stuff like 40 time is not overly relevant for fantasy sucess for TE's. Witten is prime example but really if you look at top TE fantasy producers and analyze their combine results it's not anything special for most of them. When you watch Gronk do you ever think his lack of speed limits his upside or ability to stretch a seam?  A guy like Gates is a shell of himself now but for last years could not run very well, I know one scout a few years ago said if he times him in 40 he might run close to 5, and he was still producing big stats at the time because he knew how to use his body. I think that position, even though it's changing a great deal, is still one where technique wins over pure athleticism.

Michigan senior TE Jake Butt suffered an ACL or MCL injury in Friday's bowl game, according to head coach Jim Harbaugh.
It is horrible timing for Butt, who is widely viewed as one of the best prospects at his position in a loaded tight end class. For many collegiate tight ends, projection is needed to guess their inline skills. That is not the case with Butt, as he showed blocking and contested catch receiving ability over the last two years. This likely eliminates Butt from the pre-draft process.

Source: Detroit Free Press 
Dec 31 - 11:54 AM

An AFC director of scouting indicated a belief that Michigan senior TE Jake Butt will improve as a blocker in the NFL.

"He's going to be a good pro. Everyone wants Kelce, Olsen or Gronk but those are elite players," he said. "Butt is dependable and will make first downs. They all get better as blockers once they get up here." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Butt to Zach Miller. "While he's shown ability to operate as an intermediate target as well, he might lack the athleticism and separation to uncover against NFL safeties and some linebackers in man coverage," Zierlein wrote. "Butt must improve greatly as a blocker to reach his potential as a Y tight end. However, his ability as a reliable, productive target should earn him an early starter's nod with a chance to become a solid pro." Butt's junior and senior seasons both ended with Big Ten Conference Tight End of the Year honors (51-654-3 in 2015; 46-546-4 in 2016). Butt is currently rehabbing after suffering a torn right ACL in the Citrus Bowl loss to Florida State.

Source: NFL.com

The Raiders, Titans, Saints and Steelers all met with Michigan TE Jake Butt prior to pro day on Friday.
Butt indicated during the week that he is ahead of schedule in his rehab of a severe knee injury suffered against Florida State in the Orange Bowl. Assuming no setbacks, the 6-foot-6, 237-pounder should be able to start ramping up football activities at some point in July. He is a probable Day 2 selection even with the injury concern.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 26 - 3:44 PM

Pro Football Focus compared Michigan TE Jake Butt to Buffalo Bills TE Charles Clay.
"Clay has been a reliable receiving option in the short-to-intermediate range and that is what Butt should be for years to come," writes the PFF analysis team. They do not view the 6-foot-6, 237-pounder as being as adept at run-blocking as Clay, noting that Butt's limitations on that front come "both at the line of scrimmage and as he moves up to the second level." During Friday's pro day, Butt met with the Raiders, Titans, Saints and Steelers. He continues to recover from the severe knee injury suffered against Florida State in the Orange Bowl, but he has indicated that he believes he will be able to begin taking part in football-related activities at some point in July.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 28 - 6:52 PM

Michigan TE Jake Butt (knee) posted videos to Instagram depicting him lifting weights and running as he continues his rehab.
Butt is working his way back from the torn ACL he suffered in bowl action against Florida State. The 6-foot-6, 237-pounder remains a likely Day 2 pick (potentially even a second-round selection) despite that serious injury. Thus far, he has not suffered any setbacks in his rehab efforts, a good sign that he could be ready to begin participating in football activities later this summer.

Source: Big Blue View 
Apr 15 - 3:16 PM

Michigan TE Jake Butt said that his "medicals checked out great."

"Obviously teams were asking about my knee and I felt confident about how I am rehabbing and coming back...Everything I can control, I know I maxed out," Butt said. In an interview on Sirius XM at the beginning of April, the 6-foot-6, 237-pounder said that his return date from the torn ACL he suffered in bowl action against Florida State is "still up in the air." He tagged July 10 as the earliest date he might be medically cleared to take part in football activities. Butt figures to be drafted on Day 2 (Friday).

Source: Detroit Free Press 
Apr 27 - 4:23 PM

Broncos selected Michigan TE Jake Butt with the No. 145 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Butt (6’6/246) made 37 starts for Michigan, recording a career 138/1,646/11 (11.9 YPR) receiving line and earning the 2016 Mackey Award as college football’s top tight end. Unfortunately, Butt tore his right ACL and meniscus in 2014 and re-tore the ACL in December’s Orange Bowl. When healthy, Butt is a traditional in-line tight end with reliable hands and adequate blocking ability. He profiles similarly to the current NFL version of Zach Ertz. Butt may be forced to "redshirt" his rookie year, but he has a chance to develop into a lower-end starter capable of staying on the field all three downs. 

Apr 29 - 2:09 PM

10 third-day picks who can make an immediate impact

Excerpt:

3. Jake Butt, tight end, Denver Broncos* (Michigan) 

An ESPN report suggested that Butt could hit the field by September, which could mean a Week 6 return after a stint on the PUP list. I don't see much getting in Butt's way, especially if he stays true to form and picks up the offense quickly. This is a system that could suit his style quite well -- and a team who could use dependable, intermediate options for their young quarterbacks. Of course, injury projections are still difficult this time of year, especially when the injury occurred so recently (Butt tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl). Hence, the asterisk.

Fifth round TE Jake Butt (knee) is participating in individual work at rookie camp.
Butt is recovering from an ACL tear suffered at the Orange Bowl. He’ll continue to be moved slowly in spring workouts. Butt will be nine months removed from surgery for Week 1.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter 
May 13 - 7:21 PM

Butt is going to be on all my dynasty teams if he's discounted for injury in ff.   (Which right now is one, but you get the point.  He's a risk worth taking.)
Yep. Just picked him up at pick #49. Love the injury discount. 

Butt is going to be on all my dynasty teams if he's discounted for injury in ff.   (Which right now is one, but you get the point.  He's a risk worth taking.)
I dont even think there is risk in taking him, ACLs are a different breed today. Even if he is out for half the year this year, his dynasty prospects are great for the future. Eliminate his injury and say he is completely healthy, he would be in this discussion. I would take a healthy Jake Butt over all three of the other TEs listen not named Howard. I know thats not reality since he is hurt, but the reality is in Dynasty you have more than just this year to worry about and rookie TEs rarely perform. Take Jake injured now and rest up early this year while learning and be ready for him next year. 

Broncos coach Vance Joseph expects rookie TE Jake Butt (knee) to play at some point this season.

Butt got in limited work at OTAs, but will open training camp on the active/PUP list. He’ll be nine months removed from surgery for Week 1. With only Virgil Green, Jeff Heuerman, and A.J. Derby ahead of him, Butt will push for a role when healthy.

Source: ESPN

Jul 15 - 10:32 AM

Broncos coach Vance Joseph expects rookie TE Jake Butt (knee) to play at some point this season.

Butt got in limited work at OTAs, but will open training camp on the active/PUP list. He’ll be nine months removed from surgery for Week 1. With only Virgil Green, Jeff Heuerman, and A.J. Derby ahead of him, Butt will push for a role when healthy.

Source: ESPN

Jul 15 - 10:32 AM
Which still makes him a stash player in Dynasty leagues, as we pretty much expected going into this season. I don't mind burning the roster space, provided I got the room, but, unfortunately I don't have that luxury in all of my leagues.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Denver Broncos TE Jake Butt (knee) likely will start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list because he is still recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Joseph said fifth-round TE Jake Butt (knee) will "probably" be placed on the regular season PUP list.

Butt is still recovering from a torn ACL he suffered last December and probably won't be ready for Week 1. Landing on the PUP list would cost him the first six games of the regular season. Virgil Green, Jeff Heuermann and A.J. Derby will split tight end reps early in the year.

Source: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitte

Users who are viewing this thread