What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jake Butt - Retired from the NFL 07.29.2021 (1 Viewer)

(RotoWire) Butt (knee) is on track to practice with the Broncos when first eligible Oct. 16, Nick Kosmider of The Denver Post reports.

Analysis: Butt, a fifth-round pick out of Michigan, has yet to get in any on-field work with the Broncos since being drafted in April while he's continued to recover from a torn ACL sustained in his final collegiate game. Since it's the second time in his young career that Butt has torn his ACL, the Broncos have understandably been patient with the tight end in order to avoid a setback, but his placement on the active/Non-Football Injury list back in July will give Denver 21 days to add him to the 53-man roster or keep him on the NFI list once he commences practicing. Given that he hasn't played a competitive game in nine and a half months and has yet to go through an NFL practice, it's extremely unlikely that he'll be active for the Broncos' Week 7 tilt with the Chargers, so expect the Broncos to wait until near the end of the 21-day window before deciding on Butt's status. If Butt is added to the roster, he'd probably be ticketed for a backup role initially behind starter Virgil Green.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Denver Broncos TE Jake Butt (knee) is hoping to make his NFL debut in Week 9 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jake Butt - TE - Broncos

Broncos coach Vance Joseph said he is "very excited" with sophomore TE Jake Butt's progress.

Butt missed his entire rookie season recovering from a torn ACL, but he was fully healthy for the offseason program. "He works so hard and he’s obviously a playmaker [when] you watch him catch the football," Joseph said. "He’s going to be a great addition to our offense." In a weak tight end group, Butt will get every chance to earn the starting job. He could surprise in fantasy.

Source: Denver Post

Jun 14 - 12:58 PM

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/13/jake-butt-denver-broncos-mandatory-minicamp/

Zac Stevens@ZacStevensBSN

Broncos want Jake Butt to be in “total football shape” before he plays in a game. The first preseason game up in the air.

1:53 PM - Aug 8, 2018

Denver Broncos TE Jake Butt practiced with the first-team offense Wednesday, Aug. 8. Butt has shown he's a capable block and pass-catcher so far in camp.

May have torn his ACL in a non-contact injury.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports "the fear" is Broncos TE Jake Butt suffered a non-contact ACL tear in Thursday's walk-through.

It's beyond brutal for the one-time promising prospect, who now appears to be dealing with his third career ACL tear. For the Broncos, it further hollows out an already thin tight end group. Neither of Jeff Heuerman or Matt LaCosse are going to become a factor catching the ball in Butt's absence. Butt is still only 23, but his NFL career is headed in the wrong direction. He can be dropped in Dynasty leagues.

Broncos TE Jake Butt (ACL) expects to be ready for training camp.

Butt is recovering from the third ACL tear of his career, this one suffered in September, but he feels good about his recovery. "I’ll be here all offseason rehabbing and at the very least, I’ll be fully healthy for camp," Butt said. "I want to at least be doing something during OTAs. I feel really good." Players tend to be overly optimistic about their recoveries, but training camp seems like a realistic goal. Butt has played just three games since the Broncos selected him in the fifth round of the 2017 draft.

I suppose he's waiver wire material in 12 team leagues where roster size is 22 and under. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Broncos TE Jake Butt (ACL) thinks he is "five months out."

Butt has previously said he will be ready for training camp, and this timeline would put him on track. Of course, players are usually overly optimistic about their own recoveries. Denver brought back Jeff Heuerman, but Butt should still get every shot to win the starting job if he is healthy.

SOURCE: Denver Post

Mar 26, 2019, 8:54 AM

Is Butt still on the TE learning curve due to all of these injuries?  Maybe he will be a good case study on whether a player can get up to speed as a TE with all classroom but little on field time with the team. 

Is Butt still on the TE learning curve due to all of these injuries?  Maybe he will be a good case study on whether a player can get up to speed as a TE with all classroom but little on field time with the team. 
In a 12 Team or smaller league with at least 24 roster spots, I don't see how he can be on a roster.

In a 12 Team or smaller league with at least 24 roster spots, I don't see how he can be on a roster.
Yeah, he's roster in all my leagues (25-35 roster spots) and I'm a bit surprised.  I wonder what I'm missing. 

Yeah, he's roster in all my leagues (25-35 roster spots) and I'm a bit surprised.  I wonder what I'm missing. 
He's only 23, so he's younger than guys like Goedert and Hurst. All of my leagues are a minimum of 12x25 and he's rostered in all of them. Given league size, I don't know why he wouldn't be, especially in leagues with a TE premium. His only competition is Heuerman, right? And their WR talent is suspect at best (Sanders is old and coming off an injury that is debilitating/career threatening at any age, the rest of the WR corps is a bunch of young maybes). Flacco has been known to lean on the TE in the past. Pitta had 86 receptions in 2016.

He's only 23, so he's younger than guys like Goedert and Hurst. All of my leagues are a minimum of 12x25 and he's rostered in all of them. Given league size, I don't know why he wouldn't be, especially in leagues with a TE premium. His only competition is Heuerman, right? And their WR talent is suspect at best (Sanders is old and coming off an injury that is debilitating/career threatening at any age, the rest of the WR corps is a bunch of young maybes). Flacco has been known to lean on the TE in the past. Pitta had 86 receptions in 2016.
Agreed, I'd like to add him at the end of the roster.. 

They could draft one of the big 3 TEs in this draft.  Faust posted above that the Broncos have been meeting with TE prospects.  If you have room at the end of your bench I don't blame you for keeping him, but I also wouldn't blame anyone for dropping him for a better end of bench stash. 

I think you're missing that he's actually really talented. Injury prone perhaps but if he stayed healthy he could (should imo) be an FF starter. 

I only have him in one league right now but he's among my favorite near free (super cheap flyer) players. 

I think you're missing that he's actually really talented. Injury prone perhaps but if he stayed healthy he could (should imo) be an FF starter. 

I only have him in one league right now but he's among my favorite near free (super cheap flyer) players. 
Denver has been meeting iwth TEs... so what? Unless they draft one round 1, chances of them getting one of the big 3 round 2 are not favorable. And after that, are their any TEs that would immediately start over Butt? Rookie TEs take what, 2-3 years to contribute? So in the time being what's Denver going to do>

I think people are overlooking him due to his injury history (legitimate), but also because of them likely taking a TE at some point in the draft. Forgetting that rookie TEs rarely start and rarely contribute.

IMO it's Butt's job to lose, and for $1 on the WW it's not a costly move if I'm wrong. I'm holding him until August cut downs, that's for sure.

I loved him coming out but after his 3rd ACL it's hard to think the Broncos will trust him to stay healthy. Think they draft someone in the first 3 rounds. I had him in 3 leagues, dropped him in 2 and kept him in my TE premium league to see what happens in the draft. If they don't take someone high I'll try and keep him, but my expectations are low. 

Agreed, it sounds like I wasn't missing anything other than him getting scooped up by others ahead of me.  What I meant was he was on waivers and then got scooped up everywhere but I didn't see any news. Hopefully he gets dropped during draft time roster squeeze. 

I also agree that Denver talking to TEs means nothing.  Rookie TEs take time to develop we all know... Somebody tell Elway. 

as weird as it sounds, I'm actually not at all concerned about another ACL tear.  If it's done right and he does his rehab it should be better than the original (I do understand that this wasnt true for at least 1 of the repairs) 

drafted him 3.14 with kittle 3.10 and howard 1.14 last year.

had him on i.r. but had to drop him for roster space, plus i dont need him.

still on my watch list.

JohnnyU said:
They could draft one of the big 3 TEs in this draft.  Faust posted above that the Broncos have been meeting with TE prospects.  If you have room at the end of your bench I don't blame you for keeping him, but I also wouldn't blame anyone for dropping him for a better end of bench stash. 
True, they could draft a rookie, but I wouldn't let a rookie TE scare you off. They typically take a year or two to get going anyway (assuming they don't outright bust - which is what, a 50% chance?). Njoku and Everett are entering year 3 without a breakout yet. Butt could rehab his value while the rookie is learning. But there's also a decent chance Heuerman holds him off or Butt just never lives up to his potential. But again, it depends on league size. If 300+ people are rostered, I think he should be one of them... however, I'm sure there are some teams deep enough that he should not be on that particular team. Just saying I'm sure some team could use his upside.

True, they could draft a rookie, but I wouldn't let a rookie TE scare you off. They typically take a year or two to get going anyway (assuming they don't outright bust - which is what, a 50% chance?). Njoku and Everett are entering year 3 without a breakout yet. Butt could rehab his value while the rookie is learning. But there's also a decent chance Heuerman holds him off or Butt just never lives up to his potential. But again, it depends on league size. If 300+ people are rostered, I think he should be one of them... however, I'm sure there are some teams deep enough that he should not be on that particular team. Just saying I'm sure some team could use his upside.
Wouldn't Butt be considered a rookie in the mind of fantasy owners since he hasn't played a down?

Wouldn't Butt be considered a rookie in the mind of fantasy owners since he hasn't played a down?
Wait what? He played the first 3 games last year. But yeah, he's a tweener. His rookie year was a red shirt year, but I think he was healthy thought OTAs, TC, and preseason last year, so I'm sure he's at least a little bit ahead of the curve. I think someone else mentioned he'll be an interesting case of how much two years of visual learning helps. I'm sure he's been sitting in on all the meetings and watching film.

Wait what? He played the first 3 games last year. But yeah, he's a tweener. His rookie year was a red shirt year, but I think he was healthy thought OTAs, TC, and preseason last year, so I'm sure he's at least a little bit ahead of the curve. I think someone else mentioned he'll be an interesting case of how much two years of visual learning helps. I'm sure he's been sitting in on all the meetings and watching film.
Forgot he played 3 games, if you call that playing.  Most folks find it very difficult to stash injury prone project TE prospects on their dynasty rosters for very long and with his future so cloudy,  it's very hard to justify having him.  However, like I said earlier, it's fine having him at the end of your bench if the WW pickups available are no better.  I wouldn't blink an eye if someone dropped him for someone else.  He's on the WW in three of my dynasty leagues.  All three leagues are 12 team leagues with 26 man rosters.

Forgot he played 3 games, if you call that playing.  Most folks find it very difficult to stash injury prone project TE prospects on their dynasty rosters for very long and with his future so cloudy,  it's very hard to justify having him.  However, like I said earlier, it's fine having him at the end of your bench if the WW pickups available are no better.  I wouldn't blink an eye if someone dropped him for someone else.  He's on the WW in two of my dynasty leagues.
What size are they, though? My point was just that he belongs on a team in leagues with at least 300 players rostered. Maybe not every team, but I guarantee if you look at each roster, there's someone that should pick him up if available. Somebody is going to draft a rookie in rounds 3/4 and stash that guy on their roster for a year or two. I think they'd be better off with Butt.

What size are they, though? My point was just that he belongs on a team in leagues with at least 300 players rostered. Maybe not every team, but I guarantee if you look at each roster, there's someone that should pick him up if available. Somebody is going to draft a rookie in rounds 3/4 and stash that guy on their roster for a year or two. I think they'd be better off with Butt.
I corrected my post.  He's on the WW in 3 of 8 dynasty leagues I'm in.  In the 3 he's on the WW, all three are 12 team leagues with 26 man rosters.

Fumagalli also coming off injury...MVP of 2017 Cotton Bowl. Heuerman just signed to 2-yr $9mm extension so not going anywhere.

So that makes for a Broncos TE room consisting of Butt, Heuerman and Fumagalli. Three Big 10 TE's in the mold of G. Kittle, whom Scangarello helped coach in San Fran.

That said, if all three are equally healthy IMHO none of them is significantly more talented than the others to monopolize the position. Great for Denver, sucks for FF.

this is pretty much where I stand. I think hes an interesting case of learning the game without playing... itll be fun to watch

Fumagalli also coming off injury...MVP of 2017 Cotton Bowl. Heuerman just signed to 2-yr $9mm extension so not going anywhere.

So that makes for a Broncos TE room consisting of Butt, Heuerman and Fumagalli. Three Big 10 TE's in the mold of G. Kittle, whom Scangarello helped coach in San Fran.

That said, if all three are equally healthy IMHO none of them is significantly more talented than the others to monopolize the position. Great for Denver, sucks for FF.
I'm not even that big on butt.

Jake Butt (ACL) anticipates he'll be ready for next month's training camp.

Butt, who is coming off his third ACL tear after suffering the same injury in both high school and college, expects to have his reps managed throughout camp. "I can’t imagine I would go from not playing football to doing everything," said the third-year tight end. "I’m sure there’ll be some plan in place so I’m not taking a million reps." Butt's Week 1 status isn't in doubt, though the 23-year-old will likely be competing with Jeff Heuerman for backup reps behind newly installed starter Noah Fant.

SOURCE: Denver Post

Jun 23, 2019, 9:21 AM ET

Jake Butt will undergo a "minor" knee procedure after experiencing soreness in his left knee.

At this point, it would be a surprise if Butt ever becomes a productive NFL player. He's undergone three ACL surgeries in his football life and can never seem to stay on the field. It's unclear how long Butt will be out after this operation.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Aug 28, 2019, 11:31 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread