What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 new TV show thread (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
For shows that might not deserve their own thread.

So far:

Kevin Can Wait - ok after 2 episodes but I don't think I'll make it too many more episodes. I like Kevin James, although I don't think I've seen any of his movies. Hopefully it gets better.

Speechless - From the promos, I thought I would make it about 10 minutes in the first episode before giving up but it was much better than expected. Minnie Driver still looks hot and has a great role in this. Fits in with the mold now of Modern Family and Life in Pieces.

The Good Place - I like Ted Danson and Kristen Bell is so cute (although I never noticed the weird eye thing) but we didn't make it through the first episode with this one. I had no idea what the show was about and thought it was a great premise when I started watching it but it all just kind of fell flat.

Shows still to come:

The Exorcist - I've given up on network dramas since maybe 24 or CSI but will give this a shot.

Better Things - I like Pam Adlon and will give anything Louie CK is involved with a shot.

Also thought The Good Place might be good with the two main characters.. Barley made it through episode 1... no thanks..

Kevin can wait same old Kevin James, nothing new and not nearly as funny as King of Queens..

Tried to watch the new Macgyver .. WAY to cheesy for me.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Lethal Weapon. Lot's of humor and a decent backstory for both main characters.

Looking forward to see if Timeless is as good as the previews look. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also thought The Good Place might be good with the two main characters.. Barley made it through episode 1... no thanks..

Kevin can wait same old Kevin James, nothing new and not nearly as funny as King of Queens..

I've been pleasantly surprised by Lethal Weapon. Lot's of humor and a decent backstory for both main characters.

Was hoping for better from Macgyver but will give it a few weeks before deciding.  To be fair havent watched ep 2 yet.  A little cheesy yes.  Felt odd as a CIA type agent.  Love Vinny Jones though.

Liked the first two eps of Lethal Weapon.  I liked the actor playing Riggs from his few appearances on Leverage.  Will continue with this one.

Why do they keep giving Kevin James shows?  And is his wife hot in this one like Leah Ramini was?

Why do they keep giving Kevin James shows?  And is his wife hot in this one like Leah Ramini was?
She's ok but not hot like Remini was in early King of Queens episodes. Plus, she's a bland character unlike Remini who played a great b*tch.

Was hoping for better from Macgyver but will give it a few weeks before deciding.  To be fair havent watched ep 2 yet.  A little cheesy yes.  Felt odd as a CIA type agent.  Love Vinny Jones though.

Liked the first two eps of Lethal Weapon.  I liked the actor playing Riggs from his few appearances on Leverage.  Will continue with this one.

"Riggs" was also on Rectify.. .I couldn't stand his whiny A$# on Rectify so thought they might have mis-casted him... . So far I've been pleasantly surprised. :thumbup:

She's ok but not hot like Remini was in early King of Queens episodes. Plus, she's a bland character unlike Remini who played a great b*tch.
I like the new wife more (Erinn Hayes). She played for a half season as Racquel on Parenthood for anyone that watched that and is most well known I guess for spending 8 years on Children's Hospital. 

Either way, I dont mind Kevin James at all and it doesnt bother me he got another show. Its OK, but certainly not great.

So far I'm in on Timeless... Kind of liking the idea that History may change thus not making the show predictable...

Having Lucy come back to find her Mom with no Cancer, engaged and no sister named Amy was king of a cool .. this is what can happen when the past changes.
Two new shows that I like this season both have actors from Rectify which I've enjoyed watching.. 

Abigail Spencer aka Lucy on Timeless and Clayne Crawford aka Riggs on Lethal Weapon. :thumbup:  

I didn't like Timeless. I watch a bunch of shows that require suspension of belief but when they beat it to death it bothers me. I'll try a few more episodes but likely out. 

jamny said:
This is what's missing from the new show. Remini was smoking hot.

I like Kevin James. But it is more of the same.

I didn't like Timeless. I watch a bunch of shows that require suspension of belief but when they beat it to death it bothers me. I'll try a few more episodes but likely out. 
:shrug: any show with time travel is going to require a bit of Suspension of belief.. was it the changing of the history or just the show itself you didn't care for?

Braindead

It already aired so you can binge the whole season on Amazon Prime now.  I really don't want to say anything about it as I think it will appeal to people, but if you know certain things about it (like what network it aired on) you might not even give it a chance.  I will say it's on the comedic side, but is sort of shot and scripted and set in a more dramatic atmosphere (Washington DC) and leans SciFi (which I know will also have a bunch of people instantly out).  I thought it was a really fun show that not many people seemed to watch.

snogger said:
:shrug: any show with time travel is going to require a bit of Suspension of belief.. was it the changing of the history or just the show itself you didn't care for?
Yeah I know, that's why I mentioned it. Time travel is a hard one for me because of all the plot holes everyone can name. Didn't care for the actors either and didn't think the dialogue  was very good. On second thought I've now convinced myself I'm done with it altogether :)

If it gets better let me know and I'll catch up. 

Lethal Weapon has been my surprise hit this Fall.  Watched the first episode thinking I would never watch it again, wife and I now look for it first on the DVR.  It has lots of action and humor but also good backstory with the two main characters.  Two thumbs up.

Braindead as mentioned above was fun.  Highly recommend watching it.  Like Lethal Weapon has a ton of humor but its not a sit com.

Also digging SpeechlessThis is Us, and Timeless so far.  

Bull is getting old after two episodes, which sucks.  

Haven't decided yet about MacGyver.  

Probably done w/ Kevin Can Wait, although since he's retired young he makes me think of @NewlyRetired.  I think the wife is pretty hot.

Son of Zorn!
I made it about 10 minutes into that one.

Also, done with Kevin Can Wait. It's not horrible or anything and I do like Kevin James but it's pretty generic.

I thought the first episode of The Exorcist was good and will watch a bit more of it.

Unsure yet about Better Things after 2 episodes. I don't think I'll last much longer with it.

Timeless this week was well done IMO... :thumbup:

left you questioning yourself... If you could, would you save Lincoln, knowing if you do the world as you know it will change?

Bull is getting old after two episodes, which sucks.  
I did like the first couple of episodes but after watching the third one last night I think I might be done with this one.  I'm not sure what other direction or changes they can do to this but once I saw them showing their mirror jury people on their screens I figured this was done for me.

Timeless continues to be fun to watch..  Ian Fleming sighting!..

"Dude, James Bond is hitting on Lucy"  :lol:

After dropping both The Exorcist and Better Things, the only new show we're still watching is Speechless.

We've only seen 2 episodes though. Kind of on the fence with it.

Just curious what you didnt like about it. 
Admittedly, I might have bailed a little early on it but I found the second episode to be boring. I'm not a fan of network dramas so I do have a short leash with them. I might go back to it if I start hearing good things and it gets a second season but 1 hour shows need to really grab me to dedicate that much time to them.

Are you liking it?

Yes, I like it fine. Its no Breaking Bad or anything, but its good. Big twist at the end of the 5th episode. 

Don't think there is a thread about it, but I did search (and we all know how well that works.)

Are people looking forward to 'People of Earth' when it starts next week? Trailer

The pilot has aired, and you may be able to see it On Demand on your cable, or it's here on TBS.

Don't think there is a thread about it, but I did search (and we all know how well that works.)

Are people looking forward to 'People of Earth' when it starts next week? Trailer

The pilot has aired, and you may be able to see it On Demand on your cable, or it's here on TBS.
I have it set to record. It's a Conan O'Brian show but I'm not sure how involved he is.

"The Good Place" isn't that bad. Only new show on commercial TV I have seen much of.

I also like reality show "Below Deck" so my judgement is questionable.

"The Good Place" isn't that bad. Only new show on commercial TV I have seen much of.

I also like reality show "Below Deck" so my judgement is questionable.
Good to hear because I like Danson and Bell. Personally, I never made it past the first episode. 

Divorce

Having never been married I didn't think I would connect to the premise, but it's a compelling show. Thomas Haden Church has knocked it out of the park with his performance. He has a lot of emotions to cycle through, both high and low, and he fills up the screen. I give credit to Sarah Jessica Parker for going all in with a truly unlikable character. Unfaithful, dishonest, duplicitous--not traits that draw you into a character, but she's has been unflinching.

Man With A Plan

It is what it is: a network sitcom with Matt Le Blanc playing a grayer and pudgier version of Joey Tribbiani. But I have laughed at every episode. Le Blanc and Kevin Nealon are a couple of old pros who can hit a punchline. 

Surprisingly, Lethal Weapon is probably my favorite new show this season after This Is Us. I hated McGyver after one show. Bull got boring after the third show. I have not seen the new Kevin James or Matt LeBlanc shows. 

I like Timeless and Good Behavior

Got tired of Westworld.

Timeless is entertaining and I like the cast.

Good Behavior is serious stuff, but well done.

Westworld, though well produced, was so confusing, it got old. Too much violence and torture in it, too.

Anyone catch the new CBS sitcom "Superior Donuts"? It stars an eighty-one year old Judd Hirsch, Champ Kind and Katey Sagal. CBS seems to have gone back to the formula of seventies sitcoms: an ensemble cast set in a central location with punchlines every thirty seconds from a cast of "wacky" characters. 

So far, the show has been okay. Hirsch and Sagal are old pros who know their way around a sitcom. 

I like the new wife more (Erinn Hayes). She played for a half season as Racquel on Parenthood for anyone that watched that and is most well known I guess for spending 8 years on Children's Hospital. 

Either way, I dont mind Kevin James at all and it doesnt bother me he got another show. Its OK, but certainly not great.
What a horrible decision it was by CBS to get rid of Erinn Hayes. Remini is just plain awful to listen to. So much work done she speaks funny.

Also a pathetic way to reveal why the wife is off the show. Watch the rating plummet this year.

Man with a Plan was / is a better show.

What a horrible decision it was by CBS to get rid of Erinn Hayes. Remini is just plain awful to listen to. So much work done she speaks funny.

Also a pathetic way to reveal why the wife is off the show. Watch the rating plummet this year.

Man with a Plan was / is a better show.
What? I saw the commercial with Remini. Had no idea Hayes was out?

@jamny Maybe remove the 2016 from the title?  Didn't seem like it was worth making a new thread.

So anyone watching Kevin (Probably) Saves the World?   I am liking it so far. It's very quirky in a good way. The main character is just goofy enough in a way that works for me.  Also like the other casting.

Users who are viewing this thread