What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2016 MLB Playoff thread: Cubs win for first time since sliced bread hit market (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Mods please consider keeping this in the FFA for all to participate.  The baseball forum doesn't have a lot of traffic, especially after fantasy baseball is over, and Joe Bryant mentioned having some baseball in here.  TIA.

Tuesday:  AL WILDCARD Blue Jays @ Orioles

Wednesday:  NL WILDCARD Giants @ Mets

ALDS1:  Wildcard winner v Rangers

ALDS 2:  Red Sox v Indians

NLDS 1:  Wildcard Winner v Cubs

NLDS 2:  Dodgers v Nationals

Love October, I'll be at the Nats game Friday Kershaw v Scherzer.  :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Always seems like at least one surprise team gets to the World Series.  So I'll go Blue Jays vs the Cubs. 

I really hate the one game playoff in baseball.  I suppose it's similar to a first round bye in NFL, but it puts a team at such a disadvantage having to use their #1 starter for one game.

I think the Mets are drawing dead for the WS with their injuries.  A Giants win is better for the postseason excitement and I say that with no homer glasses on whatsoever.

I really hate the one game playoff in baseball.  I suppose it's similar to a first round bye in NFL, but it puts a team at such a disadvantage having to use their #1 starter for one game.
They could always just win the division instead

Rangers are to this year as the Blue Jays were to last year.  Gaudy stats but no pitching and a garbage pen.  I will be fading them for sure.

Studs in the pen are critical to winning a WS imo

The difference in winning the division and earning a wild card spot is almost nothing.  Three or four games out of 162 could easily be because of luck.
Sure, but if that's the logic you're using then why penalize the teams who miss out on the wild card by 1 or 2 games? Shouldn't they get a chance to compete in October too, if the only reason they didn't make it was due to bad luck? You can play that game all day.

Although I hate Cleveland worse than a chick with multiple cold soars, it is unfortunate all their starters died.  Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, and Bauer leading to Andrew Miller and Cody Allen looks like a tough team to beat in any kind of series.  They have just the right amount of power and speed to make games interesting, but leaning on Josh Tomlin twice in a seven game series doesn't exude confidence.

The Rangers had the second worst bullpen in the AL but the back-end was shored up some when they started going to Matt Bush in high leverage spots.  With Hamels and Darvish they are tough in a 5 game series but they'll probably have trouble in a seven gamer when some of that bullpen is exposed. 

Toronto had the best team ERA, they have a lot of hitting, and I like their homefield advantage.  Boston probably the best team by talent, but that never seems to mean a lot in baseball playoffs.  Orioles are the Orioles, they seem to be able to make the playoffs with absolutely no starting pitching and streaky hitting. 

Cubs seem like the clear choice in the NL but I'm not wanting to play the Giants if I'm them.  Somehow Hunter Pence and some guy you never heard of will hit back-to-back homers off Chapman, and they have Cueto and madbum.  Nats lack hitting and without Strasburg their pitching seems iffy also, but I could see them causing some trouble.  I'm not sure how the Dodgers won 91 games, but if Kershaw is back to 100% they are a tough out.  Terry collins should be the manager of the year, Mets should be a 75 win team with all those dead pitchers. 

Yeah thought the Indians were the strongest AL team top to bottom before the injuries struck. Don't worry, Theo will become their GM in 5-7 years and lead them to a World Series next, before moving on to his ultimate challenge as GM of the Knicks

AL:

TOR over BAL, then TEX

BOS over CLE

TOR over BOS

NL:

SF over NYM

CHI over SF in a long series

WAS over LA

CHI over WAS in another long series

WS:

CHI over TOR in 5

Having tickets to Scherzer/Kershaw in game one is about the most enviable thing I've read this year, although Scherzer send to be fading. Thank again soon better if in the playoffs.

I agree with the dangerousness if Cleveland and I also dislike Texas to do very much. But I don't think it's the cubs time yet. I say SF or LAD v Cleveland or Boston

Orioles won 5 straight road series to close out the year. It's just too difficult to predict a one game playoff. Curious who Buck starts (I haven't seen it announced), but it's either Tillman or Ubaldo, who just shut them down last week. 

Anything they do from here is gravy for me. 

Orioles won 5 straight road series to close out the year. It's just too difficult to predict a one game playoff. Curious who Buck starts (I haven't seen it announced), but it's either Tillman or Ubaldo, who just shut them down last week. 

Anything they do from here is gravy for me. 
Just 2 months ago if you'd have suggested starting Ubaldo for your 1 game must win, you'd have been worse than laughed out.

A miraculous comeback he's made.

I can't stand Collins' in game managing but he deserves a ton of credit for keeping this team together and not just blaming injuries when they were 60-62. 

Bumgarner has killed the Mets but I think Syndergaard takes this for us. Unfortunately I have to be in Boston for a few days and had to sell my tickets because I don't land until 8:45ish Wed night. 

For sure. I wouldn't mind seeing a Bundy/Ubaldo combination to be honest. 
Knowing Buck, he could start just about anyone. Remember back in 2012, he started Joe Saunders against the Rangers in the WC game. Tillman is the logical choice, but Ubaldo has been pitching extremely well since the break, so I wouldn't rule out Buck giving him the ball.

With no dog in the fight, i'm rooting for Cleveland first, followed by Washington then Baltimore then any team playing the Cubs. 

I think the Mets are drawing dead for the WS with their injuries.  A Giants win is better for the postseason excitement and I say that with no homer glasses on whatsoever.
That's why it was done that way, chief.

Although I hate Cleveland worse than a chick with multiple cold soars, it is unfortunate all their starters died.  Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, and Bauer leading to Andrew Miller and Cody Allen looks like a tough team to beat in any kind of series.  They have just the right amount of power and speed to make games interesting, but leaning on Josh Tomlin twice in a seven game series doesn't exude confidence.
First, I love you too DD. :wub:

Kluber will go game 2 and get his regular rest if he has to pitch game 5. Bauer is such a red ###, I could see him either raising his game or melting like a popsicle laying on Dead Man's Curve in the August heat. When he's on, he can be filthy. Tomlin has been impressive his last couple of starts and may have just worked out his problems. IIRC, he had some personal issues earlier this year that may have worked on him.

With a lead, the Tribe could go Otero, Miller, Shaw and Allen in innings 6-9. To have that kind of stud bully is nice to have; if your starter can go 5 and fly, you could be golden.

Lifelong Cubs fan and, despite the success this year, just waiting for the other shoe to drop in the playoffs.  Not sure who I'd rather play in the NLDS.  Cubs have never hit Bumgarner at all, and seeing him and Cueto potentially 3 times in a 5 game series doesn't thrill me.  Plus, Matt Moore seems to be pitching really well.  I think Lester and Hendricks will be fine in postseason, but Arrieta's 4.44 ERA over his last 16 starts doesn't really engender a great deal of confidence, despite all the big talking that he's doing.  I think I'd rather see the Mets, using last year's washout as further motivation.  

It will be interesting to see if Kershaw can turn around his previous playoff problems.  That series with Washington should be interesting.  In the AL, I think Boston will get by Cleveland, and I can totally see whomever wins between TOR/BAL getting by Texas.  

I love the MLB Playoffs because they seem so unpredictable. The Cubs are clearly the favorites, but I don't think anyone would be shocked if they didn't win it all or even get to the WS.

The AL seems wide open. Seems like the Rangers, Red Sox, Indians, and Orioles all had the best record at some point in the 2nd half of the season. Rangers have the best record, but I don't think anyone believes they're the best team in the AL. Indians may be the most well rounded of the 5 AL teams. I think the winner of the Red Sox/Indians winner probably represents the AL in the World Series. Orioles/Blue Jays is a complete toss up in the WC game. Orioles just took 2 of 3 from the Jays in Toronto, but typically struggle there and have been much worse on the road than at home. If I have to make a prediction, I could see the Red Sox coming out of the AL. They'll want Ortiz to go out on top.

As for the NL, the Cubs are the prohibitive favorite. They'll be tough to beat and should make it to the NLCS. Though, I don't think they want to see the Giants in the NLDS, since it's an even year and all for the Giants. Dodgers/Nats will be fun. Nats have a bunch of injuries and guys that are banged up. They'll need to rely on Scherzer getting 2 wins in this series if they want to move on, IMO. It's possible they get it, since the Dodgers haven't fared all that well in the playoffs recently. Giants/Mets has possibly the greatest pitching matchup we've seen for a 1-game playoffs. Syndergaard/Bumgarner should be a good one to watch on Wednesday night. Not sure either team has enough to get by the Cubs though. It's hard to pick against the Cubs in the NL and I can't bring myself to do it.

Cubs/Red Sox World Series would be a ton of fun. With no dog in the fight, and being an O's fan, I would like to see the Cubs finally win one. They certainly have a team capable enough to do it.

I think the Cubs are a lock to get past the divisional round.  Beyond that, I have no clue what to expect.  Although I would love to see a Jays/Rangers rematch   :popcorn:  

Sweep last year or not, I'd be shocked if the Mets win more than one game vs the Cubs if they advance past the Giants. 

Best record in the majors since 8/20.  Getting hot at the right time.  

And I say that while wearing my best looking homer glasses. 

The Rangers had the second worst bullpen in the AL but the back-end was shored up some when they started going to Matt Bush in high leverage spots.  With Hamels and Darvish they are tough in a 5 game series but they'll probably have trouble in a seven gamer when some of that bullpen is exposed. 

Toronto had the best team ERA, they have a lot of hitting, and I like their homefield advantage.  Boston probably the best team by talent, but that never seems to mean a lot in baseball playoffs.  Orioles are the Orioles, they seem to be able to make the playoffs with absolutely no starting pitching and streaky hitting. 

Cubs seem like the clear choice in the NL but I'm not wanting to play the Giants if I'm them.  Somehow Hunter Pence and some guy you never heard of will hit back-to-back homers off Chapman, and they have Cueto and madbum.  Nats lack hitting and without Strasburg their pitching seems iffy also, but I could see them causing some trouble.  I'm not sure how the Dodgers won 91 games, but if Kershaw is back to 100% they are a tough out.  Terry collins should be the manager of the year, Mets should be a 75 win team with all those dead pitchers. 
He's done an incredible job this year.  Couldn't be happier and the run at the end of the season was so pleasantly surprising after many prior Mets collapses. 

I always thought the WC round should be a best of 3. So many weird things can happen in 1 game.
For getting the best team to advance it certainly makes more sense.  Also seems silly from a logical standpoint to have a one game series a couple days after two teams just completed 162 games.  

But, from an entertainment standpoint, that one game is really really awesome.  I still remember the Royals comeback against the A's a couple of years ago.  That was riveting.  As a Mets fan I'm so damn pumped for Wednesday and will be hanging on every pitch.  That doesn't happen with a 3 game series. 

They let one game determine home field advantage in the World Series. I'm not worried about one game determining who gets to keep playing to get there.

Lotsa bandwagon fans in Toronto rooting for the Jays.  I fear many broken ankles when they lose.

Still have to play those games. Still have to win those games. Not really sure your point.
:lmao:  Yes, winning a game against a garbage team is the same as a winning a game against a decent/good team.  If the Mets played one more series against a better team, they quite easily could be sitting home watching the Giants host the Cardinals on Wednesday.

:lmao:  Yes, winning a game against a garbage team is the same as a winning a game against a decent/good team.  If the Mets played one more series against a better team, they quite easily could be sitting home watching the Giants host the Cardinals on Wednesday.
As a matter of fact, it's exactly the same.

Don't let facts get in the way right?

Against those teams you mentioned since 8/20 the Mets were 15-7. Against the other teams they played during this time (San Fran, St Louis, Miami and Washington) they were 12-6 (and 2-0 against SF and 2-1 against St Louis).

Again what's  your point?

edit - adjusted since there were only two games against SF

WISE SPORTS MAN: this team is good

HATER OF SPORTS MAN'S FAVORITE TEAM: actually they are not that good, they played an easy schedule

WSM: *wisely* ah, but consider this - they still must win against that schedule

*unwise hater, certainly never having considered this, spontaneously combusts*

I always thought the WC round should be a best of 3. So many weird things can happen in 1 game.
The new format is too young to determine if a long layoff is bad for the division winners. 

Maybe eight playoff teams with the first series = three games.  I think that would be really good postseason baseball.

NYY@TEX, SEA@CLE, DET@BOS, BAL@TOR, PIT@CHC, MIA@WAS, STL@LAD, SF@NYM

Teams like Seattle (87 first order wins) and St. Louis (88 first order wins) are deserving of a chance too.

Users who are viewing this thread