What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyreek Hill, MIA (2 Viewers)

If hill doesn’t get a full practice this week but is active are y’all starting him?
I doubt he puts in more than a limited practice on Wed. They play Thursday. If he is active, I'm starting him. My options are Zay Jones, Moncrief, and Coutee. At this point, I would play an amputated Hill over those guys. 

If hill doesn’t get a full practice this week but is active are y’all starting him?
I don’t see any way gets in a full practice so this is the decision most of us will be making.

I also have Mahomes and the other question becomes do you bench Showtime if Hill doesn’t play and you have a viable alternative.

😩

Another reason to hate Thursday night football. If this were a Sunday game I'm sure he'd go.

I think the fact that it's San Diego and a particularly important game means he's probably more likely to play than he would be otherwise. If there's no risk of further injury and it's just a pain tolerance/discomfort thing then I think he'll be out there. 

I guess the flip side is that if you manage to get past this week, he'll have extra time to heal up for week 16. 

He is SO good - but not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze for them to push him this week for one game - yes I know it is a division rival...but they have clinched playoff, they are 4-0 in division (LAC is 2-2) and they have a game in hand against LAC.  They have other weapons to fight this battle - if it means getting one of their primary weapons healthy to win the whole damn war.  I need Hill to win week to week in magic football - but from a real life perspective, it just doesn't seem prudent to risk for one game. 

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
As long as Mahomes has two legs and Kelce I'm not benching him.
I hear ya.  I probably won’t be able to either but it crosses my mind.  No Hill, no Watkins, tough match up, short week.

I dunno.  If Hill doesn’t play I think we see just how important his presence is to this offense.  Kelce gets his no matter what but I can see this being a game where Mahomes struggles.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11458/tyreek-hill

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Tyreek Hill (heel) does not have a serious injury and is considered "day to day."

Hill played through pain on Sunday, but he wound up finishing the game and registered 139 yards on 14 targets. The trick will be for Hill to get game ready on a short week with the Chargers visiting Kansas City for Thursday Night Football. It would be a surprise if Hill did much of anything in practice this week. Dec 10 - 3:53 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11458/tyreek-hill

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Tyreek Hill (heel) does not have a serious injury and is considered "day to day."

Hill played through pain on Sunday, but he wound up finishing the game and registered 139 yards on 14 targets. The trick will be for Hill to get game ready on a short week with the Chargers visiting Kansas City for Thursday Night Football. It would be a surprise if Hill did much of anything in practice this week. Dec 10 - 3:53 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
The limp scares me. Pain going to get worse before better.  He sounds committed to being out there but I can’t see starting him 

It’s a dynasty league start 2.  We have a flex as well. I have AB.  I’ve been starting Chubb as a flex. 
Think I'd start Cooper over Hill at this point.  Cooper is the #1 fantasy WR in the league since arriving in Dallas.  He's a must start at this point.

Can't really bench him if he's active. Even if he's limping and mostly a decoy, all it takes is him shaking loose for a single play and that's an entire fantasy day's worth of scoring compared to the options most people will consider replacing him with. 

Can't really bench him if he's active. Even if he's limping and mostly a decoy, all it takes is him shaking loose for a single play and that's an entire fantasy day's worth of scoring compared to the options most people will consider replacing him with. 
He was limping most of the second half and caught 8 for 139.

Gutsy performance. His 4th down catch saved the game for them.

Think I'd start Cooper over Hill at this point.  Cooper is the #1 fantasy WR in the league since arriving in Dallas.  He's a must start at this point.
Tyreek’s PPG is #1 among WR’s during that timeframe, even after Cooper’s giant game yesterday bumped him to #3. Cooper has played one extra game during that timespan as Tyreek had his Bye in week 12.

Tyreek’s PPG is #1 among WR’s during that timeframe, even after Cooper’s giant game yesterday bumped him to #3. Cooper has played one extra game during that timespan as Tyreek had his Bye in week 12.
Yep, and Cooper #2 ppg. They're close.  I'd take the guy who is red hot over a guy who is injured and playing Thursday night. I'd even consider starting both and benching or flexing brown. 

I don’t see much upside for a TD so benching him is in my radar. I also have mahomes and dak, got to worry about mahomes as well this week 

I don’t see much upside for a TD so benching him is in my radar. I also have mahomes and dak, got to worry about mahomes as well this week 

How can a guy who can score on literally any touch, and gets targeted in the RZ (if you're worried about him being slowed down but active), not have much TD upside? Not like we're talking about DeSean Jackson being gimpy or something, where he's mostly useless outside the deep ball. Tyreek gets RZ targets and Mahomes averages 3-4 TD's a game. 

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
Per Evan Silva, Hill 11.4 targets when Watkins <=15 snaps.  7.1 when he does.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can a guy who can score on literally any touch, and gets targeted in the RZ (if you're worried about him being slowed down but active), not have much TD upside? Not like we're talking about DeSean Jackson being gimpy or something, where he's mostly useless outside the deep ball. Tyreek gets RZ targets and Mahomes averages 3-4 TD's a game. 
I understand your sentiment. In my eyes hill is a burner and I don’t see him separating himself while hurt.  He’s a small WR so RZ looks not as relevant but certainly possible yes 

For everyone saying they wouldn't start him next week, how much pain he's going to be in, yada yada yada, he played pretty well considering he was hurt this past weekend.

I won't pretend that I know what kind of pain he's in, not sure how all of you could know that kind of detail but if he plays, he starts on my team.

Yeah no way you sit Hill for Cooper
Don't see why not.  Cooper has outscored Hill most weeks since the trade. Why would that change this week?  That's not even considering that Hill is banged up and it's a Thursday game.  I'd find a way to start both or bench AB.  But it's got to be hard to bench Cooper now.

Don't see why not.  Cooper has outscored Hill most weeks since the trade. Why would that change this week?  That's not even considering that Hill is banged up and it's a Thursday game.  I'd find a way to start both or bench AB.  But it's got to be hard to bench Cooper now.
I still don't believe much in Cooper.  Sure, he has had a great stretch og games recently but he just torched a bunch of free agent dbs for the depleted Eagles.

sjdogs said:
I understand your sentiment. In my eyes hill is a burner and I don’t see him separating himself while hurt.  He’s a small WR so RZ looks not as relevant but certainly possible yes 
People think Hill is a burner but he's actually been a really good route runner as well this year. If he is active he's in my lineup.

People think Hill is a burner but he's actually been a really good route runner as well this year. If he is active he's in my lineup.
I agree on his routes, just heard freezing weather, rain and 15 mph rain 

I don’t want to overthink this but I don’t like this set up for Hill .  I also have mahomes and am very confused all around 

Did anyone else hear this report about how the nature of his injury means that it hurts more to walk than to run? The upshot is that he should be ok for the game.

Also, is anyone thinking of handcuffing him with Conley? I generally don't even bother cuffing my RBs, much less my WRs, but I can see the logic in this case: high powered offense, no other clear WR2 who could step up. The problem is, let's say Hill plays this week and then can't go the following week. Are you really going to feel confident rolling him out in the championship? In my case my backups are Reynolds and Pettis; not sure I'd totally trust Conley over either of those guys.

Did anyone else hear this report about how the nature of his injury means that it hurts more to walk than to run? The upshot is that he should be ok for the game.

Also, is anyone thinking of handcuffing him with Conley? I generally don't even bother cuffing my RBs, much less my WRs, but I can see the logic in this case: high powered offense, no other clear WR2 who could step up. The problem is, let's say Hill plays this week and then can't go the following week. Are you really going to feel confident rolling him out in the championship? In my case my backups are Reynolds and Pettis; not sure I'd totally trust Conley over either of those guys.
If it’s his heel that makes some sense, as the ball/toes take more impact when running. Hope so!

If it’s his heel that makes some sense, as the ball/toes take more impact when running. Hope so!
Yes, that was how I heard it. The Fantasy Footballers were discussing it on their podcast today; I thought they referenced an article in ProFootballTalk, but I couldn't find it there. Then I fired up The Google and found this (turns out it was from ProFootballDoc):

How can Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill have a significant heel injury – one which causes him to limp when he walks and prompted him to acknowledge "My foot's bad" – and still make the huge play he did near the end of Sunday’s victory over the Ravens?

Well, not exactly easily. But also without as much difficulty as might be imagined.

The injury appears to be to Hill’s right heel – not at the attachment of the Achilles (like Eric Berry) but on the bone itself.

That takes away Hill’s ability to walk normally because of the pain at heel strike in a normal gait.

It certainly hurts, and the injury to the calcaneus (heel) bone seems significant.

But he is able to outrun defenders for a 48-yard pass completion on fourth-and-nine because the injury is in the heel.

When a wide receiver runs, it is primarily on his toes as he accelerates, cuts and pushes off. These are the special skill sets that make players like Hill different, and they don't need their heel to exhibit them.

[...]

I have not seen any X-rays or an MRI or examined Hill. Further, there was not specific video of his injury.

However, analyzing the film of the way he walks and runs makes me believe he has a shot to play (and be effective) through the rest of this season – possibly including Thursday’s big match-up against the Chargers, who sit one game back in the AFC West.

Hill will probably limp when he walks and be in pain, but he can still play effectively.

The Chiefs will likely alter the routes he runs. Any stop-and-go or comeback routes, where he needs to plant his right heel, will be difficult. But there are plenty of double-move routes that are made on the balls of the feet. And when one sprints, the heel typically never touches the ground.

Echoing what others have said, I'm playing him (and Mahomes) if he's active.

They carried me this far. If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be, but these guys have been stacking up numbers this year and I think the risk of them going off outweighs the risk of them laying an egg at the most vital juncture. Of course there are going to be hindsight psychics saying "I told you so" if they flop, but these guys are simply too good to bench.

Echoing what others have said, I'm playing him (and Mahomes) if he's active.

They carried me this far. If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be, but these guys have been stacking up numbers this year and I think the risk of them going off outweighs the risk of them laying an egg at the most vital juncture. Of course there are going to be hindsight psychics saying "I told you so" if they flop, but these guys are simply too good to bench.
What is the reasoning that Mahomes might flop?

What is the reasoning that Mahomes might flop?
No Watkins, a less than 100% Hill, no Hunt. A cold weather Thursday night game. Doesn't really fit the script for a big game, though with SD's offense involved it could definitely turn into a track meet.

Starting him and Mahomes with 75% confidence. Atleast if they do bad I won’t have to sweat out a close matchup this weekend. Do think tyreek puts up a 3-80-1 line or something tho where he is limited but isn’t held in check completely

Yeah he’s gonna play and I love his toughness but I have real trepidation and am not confident he will do much. I seem to be in the minority and I don’t know why. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread