What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's do the Timewarp...... again?! (1 Viewer)

MindCrime

Footballguy
The original was weird, campy, colorful, fun, and awesomely horrible all rolled into one. Not sure what I think about this version yet. May give it a chance, sounds like it's getting positive reviews. Airs on Fox on 10/20. 

Rocky Horror Remake Trailer

What Tim Curry thinks of the remake

"Last April, Fox announced that it would reboot The Rocky Horror Picture Show as a two-hour television special. The news was met by understandable criticism from the camp classic’s die-hard fans—how dare they remake the the 40-year-old midnight-movie mainstay. But on Monday, during Fox’s semi-annual presentation to the Television Critics Association in Los Angeles, original cast member Tim Curry told press that he gives the reboot, which stars Laverne Cox in his iconic role as Dr. Frank-N-Furter, his unconditional endorsement.

“I’ll never forget the first day of rehearsal,” said the reboot’s director, executive producer, and choreographer Kenny Ortega. “Laverne was standing at the piano getting ready to sing ‘Sweet Transvestite’ for the first time. And Tim [was] sitting next to the pianist. And when she finished [singing], the first voice that came up was, ‘Brava,’ from Tim Curry. And that is what we have felt throughout this whole experience working with Tim Curry.”

The original was dumb :unsure:
Yes, it was really dumb.  But it was a cult hit and had a big following.  From 77-79, I saw it in theaters at midnight multiple times with a bunch of friends.  It was a fun Saturday night.  This one will fail to capture the same.  I still like the soundtrack to the original.  But I'm not interested in seeing a young RuPaul play Tim Currey's role.  

Yes, it was really dumb.  But it was a cult hit and had a big following.  From 77-79, I saw it in theaters at midnight multiple times with a bunch of friends.  It was a fun Saturday night.  This one will fail to capture the same.  I still like the soundtrack to the original.  But I'm not interested in seeing a young RuPaul play Tim Currey's role.  
We went in college and I hated it then.   I obviously "don't get it"

I don't need to dress up like a woman and throw toast or whatever to find it entertaining. :shrug:
So you would watch this at home?
Depending on what level of participation, I would agree.  The dialog with the movie from the audience and the various props are fun.  The clowns that dress up and reenact the movie up front, I despise.

I have watched this at home, but I've also seen it at a theater with audience participation so many times.  I would not recommend watching it without the audience initially (or maybe the first half dozen times) for anyone.

As a fan, I'll watch this one, but mostly for the songs.

We went in college and I hated it then.   I obviously "don't get it"
I was in middle school in 78.  Not sure I would have liked it either in college.  I remember it being on TV around halloween when my kids were in middle school and high school.  It was edited and all so we let them watch it.  They were like "uh... this is stupid."  Watching it with them I felt the same way.  Really dumb.  

Dumb...not dumb...whatever.  You went to it for the same reason you go to a Jimmy Buffet concert - for the fun of being there.

Dumb...not dumb...whatever.  You went to it for the same reason you go to a Jimmy Buffet concert - for the fun of being there.
We used to go and part of the fun was being in early HS (mid 80s) and having just earned licenses and heading into Boston to see a show that started at midnight.

(Geeky, drama-type friends made it fun too!!)

I was in middle school in 78.  Not sure I would have liked it either in college.  I remember it being on TV around halloween when my kids were in middle school and high school.  It was edited and all so we let them watch it.  They were like "uh... this is stupid."  Watching it with them I felt the same way.  Really dumb.  
That's weird, because the best way to watch the movie is in edited format, with the whole family, in your living room.  

The clowns that dress up and reenact the movie up front, I despise.
Agreed. Fox, I believe it was them, actually broadcast a few years ago a version filmed live in a movie theater with the movie on in the background and the idiots reenacting it on a stage in front of the screen. It was beyond horrible.

Yeah. I worked at a theater that showed it every weekend. The crowd was the show.

Yeah. I worked at a theater that showed it every weekend. The crowd was the show.
At the Boston theater that was showing The RHPS, there was a troupe of folks that would perform the show while the movie was playing and before the show would interact with the crowd. RHPS 'Virgins' would get called up on stage to be made fun of. On my first time, I got called to the stage and was told I looked like Cousin Oliver from The Brady Bunch.

So I watched this last night.  They really needed someone else other than Laverne Cox playing Frank-N-Furter.

Victoria Justice playing Janet:  http://popminute.com/photo/1/victoria_justice_bra_rocky_horror_picture_show7.jpg
Fortunately, this always-pathetic musical's two great numbers are back2back so i timed it right and saw all i needed to in a 10min span. Yeah, Cox didn't get it. I mean, no one will ever get it like Tim Curry got it but FnFs trip seems more about feeling all the sexes inside one as part of the pleasuretron of life than str8up trans. And the production had more gloss than guts just as all things have more gloss than guts these days. However, I do find myself very pro-Justice for the first time this erection season....

BTW, if you're as confused by the sexual spectrum (and it is a spectrum - we're pretending it's all locked-in so those suffering sexual persecution are protected) as i, next week's Frontline on PBS is called Growing Up Trans if you want to see some light on the matter.

It wasn't too bad, but the choice for FnF was abysmal.  Her accent kept changing throughout.  Her interaction with Brad was terrible... "what do you think, Bread?"   

The audience inside the movie was awful.  But I did like Ivy Levan as Trixie, who sang the opening.  

I thought Brad and Janet were great.  Especially Janet.  

Brad - B+  

Janet - A+  Victoria Justice nailed the part.  

FnFurter - D-  Sometimes she had the look down, but that voice.  And she didn't seem to understand the character during some songs.  

Riff Raff - C+  He was good during some scenes, others not so much.  He looked like he couldn't remember his lines in some parts.  

Magenta - B  She was fun and easy on the eyes.  

Columbia - D Another swing and a miss, imo.  The original Columbia was awesome.  This one sucked. 

Eddie - C  Lambert can sing but his performance was no where near that of Meatloaf.  

Rocky - B-  Okay I guess, leaning toward meh.  

Dr. Scott - B  Ben Vareen sighting!  

Glad they got Curry to play the narrator.  

It wasn't too bad, but the choice for FnF was abysmal.  Her accent kept changing throughout.  Her interaction with Brad was terrible... "what do you think, Bread?"   

The audience inside the movie was awful.  But I did like Ivy Levan as Trixie, who sang the opening.  

I thought Brad and Janet were great.  Especially Janet.  

Brad - B+  

Janet - A+  Victoria Justice nailed the part.  

FnFurter - D-  Sometimes she had the look down, but that voice.  And she didn't seem to understand the character during some songs.  

Riff Raff - C+  He was good during some scenes, others not so much.  He looked like he couldn't remember his lines in some parts.  

Magenta - B  She was fun and easy on the eyes.  

Columbia - D Another swing and a miss, imo.  The original Columbia was awesome.  This one sucked. 

Eddie - C  Lambert can sing but his performance was no where near that of Meatloaf.  

Rocky - B-  Okay I guess, leaning toward meh.  

Dr. Scott - B  Ben Vareen sighting!  

Glad they got Curry to play the narrator.  
I wasn't too impressed with Ben Vereen playing Dr. Scott.  He looked like he was trying to overact too much.

I agree with the audience participation as well.  I didn't like that and agree with you on Ivy Levan, that was damn good.

As for Curry, I wonder if he was talking that slow on purpose or if it the aftereffect from the stroke he had a couple of years ago. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught bits of this, and while Victoria Justice was nice to look at, it was otherwise pretty awful.  They even ruined the songs by dumbing down the melodies, and don't even get me started of some of the choices to play the main roles.  Bottom line, this is one movie that can never be duplicated, nor should anyone have ever attempted to do so.  

Users who are viewing this thread