What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I can't even wrap my mind around this. (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/06/special-needs-boy-10-doused-with-gas-set-on-fire-in-texas-town.html

This would set me on a shooting spree if I was the father.

Before Kayden Culp was placed in an induced coma on Sunday, the 10-year-old special-needs child who had been lured to a Texas shack, doused with gasoline and set on fire was able to tell his mom the person responsible for the grisly attack needed to face justice: “He hurt me. He set me on fire. He needs to go to jail.”

Authorities had taken into custody Wednesday night one of the three boys – ages 9, 10 and 11 – believed to be involved in the horrific assault in the town of Kerrville. The unnamed juvenile was charged with first-degree arson, Culp’s aunt, Tanya Kasper, told FoxNews.com. But Culp’s family is also hoping additional charges will be levied, particularly because they believe the incident was premeditated.

Related Image

Expand / Contract
Kayden is in an induced coma at University Hospital in San Antonio. (Culp family)

“All the kids are talking, saying, ‘Hey, they set out to do it on purpose,’” Kasper said.

Kayden sustained first- and second-degree burns to nearly a quarter of his body, and, on Thursday, doctors were performing biopsies to determine the degree of skin grafts he would need, Kasper said.

“We want to keep in mind that these are kids, and they do need help,” Kasper said of the perpetrators. “We just want the proper justice done.”

Kasper said it was tough for the family to permit Kayden to go out and play in the first place due to fears others might take advantage of him because of his developmental difficulties.

“It was hard for us to allow him to go play,” she said. “He wasn’t a regular 10 year old; you didn’t know who really had good intentions for him.”

As a “hyperactive” kid, Kayden was “easily picked on every day,” Kasper said. But she also described a happy child who loved football and animals.

“He has a very good personality,” Kasper said. “It just takes patience to deal with Kayden.”

On Sunday, Kayden reportedly was riding his bike when he met up with an acquaintance.

“One of his friends -- who he felt like was his friend -- just happened to take him to the field, and there were kids waiting at the field,” Kasper said.

One boy doused Kayden and another lit him on fire. The degree of involvement of a third child is unknown.

As appalling as the episode was, it was apparently not entirely unforeseeable.

“One has always had issues being destructive and disruptive, and his mom even made the comment that she wasn’t able to handle him,” Kasper said.

A YouCaring page had already raised $21,145 as of Thursday morning – well past the initial $10,000 goal – as Kayden laid in a bed at University Hospital in San Antonio.

“So, basically he’s still on life support,” Kasper said. “We’re just hoping his body fights this off.”

Last edited by a moderator:
and I am sure they will get a slap on the wrist because "they are kids"
They won't get a "slap on the wrist."

But (at least I hope) they won't be sent to jail for 30 years either. I mean, they are 9 and 10 years old. What do you think a proper punishment would be?

Oh, so "Little Johnny is a nice boy.  He didn't get enough sweets.  It's not his fault."

Is that what you're saying?

These little bastards did this and they're going to skate on it?

Yeah, I'm not understanding the call for the state to burn kids in retribution for this.  The boys involved are all so young, there is no way we can punish them as an adult.   There has to be an attempt at reaching them as part of any lock up time they do.  Terrible story.

Oh, so "Little Johnny is a nice boy.  He didn't get enough sweets.  It's not his fault."

I sure as hell hope you aren't a judge or a cop cuz you seem a bit off kilter in your view of things.  

I would think there is some medium between "set the kids on fire" and letting them skate. Hopefully one that involves a lot of therapy and rehab.

I sure as hell hope you aren't a judge or a cop cuz you seem a bit off kilter in your view of things.  
And I sure as hell hope YOU'RE not a judge or a cop cuz I'm guessing you'd routinely let people get away with any horrific crime if they acted as if it really wasn't their fault.

That's a really horrific story.  

I agree with whoknew that we shouldn't be throwing the book at 9, 10, and 11 year old kids.  Clearly they need some kind of counseling.  

That's a really horrific story.  

I agree with whoknew that we shouldn't be throwing the book at 9, 10, and 11 year old kids.  Clearly they need some kind of counseling.  
They need a lot of counseling and a lot of punishment.  I am not talking about 30 years in prison but they lost any chance of having a childhood with their calculated move to harm this child. 

One boy doused Kayden and another lit him on fire. The degree of involvement of a third child is unknown.

As appalling as the episode was, it was apparently not entirely unforeseeable.

“One has always had issues being destructive and disruptive, and his mom even made the comment that she wasn’t able to handle him,” Kasper said.
She might need some counseling as well. 

Wow.  Truly sad and heartbreaking situation all around.

Want your heart ripped out...click on that Youcaring page...and then donate.

ugghhhhhhhh  :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is sick...what happened to the old days of just putting a thumb tack on someone's seat?

Counseling and school in a juvenile detention center until they are 18.  There is no way they can be allowed back into a normal school environment.

But (at least I hope) they won't be sent to jail for 30 years either. I mean, they are 9 and 10 years old. What do you think a proper punishment would be?
Lock em up and try to rehabilitate them until they are 21

they are probably hopeless though

I'm the father of son with "special needs" similar to this young boy; my little guy is a just couple of years younger and I worry about how he's going to be accepted when he gets older. Seeing a story like this breaks my heart.

Honestly, if it were me, I would probably initially want to go find these other boys that did this, and beat them to death with my bare hands.

Unfortunately, it would do my family and myself no good to spend the rest of my life in jail, or worse.

However, I would do everything I could under the law to make these kids' childhoods living hell. I would fight to have them locked up in an institution until they were adults. I would sue them and their families and fight to make sure they wouldn't see a dime they could call their own for as long as possible. I'd fight to have this stay with them into adulthood if possible, so that every job application, every time they got pulled over, anytime they tried to get credit, people would know what they did. I'd basically do everything I could to make the rest of their lives living hell. And when they became legal adults, I'd pray they come looking for revenge on me so I could "protect myself".

These are not children that made a mistake. These "kids" are bullies, predators and monsters.

And I sure as hell hope YOU'RE not a judge or a cop cuz I'm guessing you'd routinely let people get away with any horrific crime if they acted as if it really wasn't their fault.
Lighten up, Francis. Have a cup of coffee, get laid, or go for a walk. You're talking awfully tough here.

Lighten up, Francis. Have a cup of coffee, get laid, or go for a walk. You're talking awfully tough here.
You realize that these kids set another person on fire right.  Ask yourself what kind of individual is capable of doing something like this?  Yes the should be punished extremely harshly.  Not only should they be punished but the parents should be held liable (not only financially) as well.  This is extremely disturbing.   

I think if you commit an adult crime you should be treated as an adult by the court system. People (of all ages) need to be held responsible for their actions. Unfortunately that is going by the wayside in this country.

If kids that commit adult crimes aren't going to be treated as adults then the parents should get the punishment.

the same punishment an adult would get

“We want to keep in mind that these are kids, and they do need help,” Kasper said of the perpetrators. “We just want the proper justice done.”
Three bullets, or only one if you line them up just right.

A kid that is capable of this type of violence most likely has experienced/witnessed violence in his environment.  Just assuming, but it's likely that he isn't coming from the most loving household.  

Yeah, don't look at the pictures on that youcaring site.  Took me very quickly to the extreme in terms of both sadness and anger.

My daughter was assigned Lord of the Flies this year. How old are the kids in that, 11 or 12? Probably not even Golding would have made them 9. 9 is supposed to be too young for such deliberate and calculated cruelty. 

I'm no psychology expert, but I have strong doubts that any child who commits such a horrific act can be "saved". I think we're talking sociopaths here. Bad Seeds. I have no idea what the proper punishment is, and I'm not interested in the state being a vehicle of revenge, but I also think the kids who did this, especially the ringleader if there was one, should not be in a position where he can continue to harm society, even if that means some sort of permanent incarceration. 

Few things boggle my mind more than the calls to send 9-year-old kids to jail for 20 years.
I would not call for that either but these kids horrifically assaulted and set fire to another person. So what do you do to ISIS Jr? It can't just be a slap on the wrist.

I'm the father of son with "special needs" similar to this young boy; my little guy is a just couple of years younger and I worry about how he's going to be accepted when he gets older. Seeing a story like this breaks my heart.

Honestly, if it were me, I would probably initially want to go find these other boys that did this, and beat them to death with my bare hands.

Unfortunately, it would do my family and myself no good to spend the rest of my life in jail, or worse.

However, I would do everything I could under the law to make these kids' childhoods living hell. I would fight to have them locked up in an institution until they were adults. I would sue them and their families and fight to make sure they wouldn't see a dime they could call their own for as long as possible. I'd fight to have this stay with them into adulthood if possible, so that every job application, every time they got pulled over, anytime they tried to get credit, people would know what they did. I'd basically do everything I could to make the rest of their lives living hell. And when they became legal adults, I'd pray they come looking for revenge on me so I could "protect myself".

These are not children that made a mistake. These "kids" are bullies, predators and monsters.
I took care of a kid who was in a wheel chair for a year.   He spent the summer and after school at YMCA program held at the school (4th grade).   The kids couldn't have been better or nicer to him.  Even the little #### hell raiser knew where the line was and was always nice to him.  

You realize that these kids set another person on fire right.  Ask yourself what kind of individual is capable of doing something like this?  Yes the should be punished extremely harshly.  Not only should they be punished but the parents should be held liable (not only financially) as well.  This is extremely disturbing.   
Yes, I can read.

The fact is that no one - contrary to @timschochet's assertion - is incapable of being saved. They are still human beings, capable of doing evil things. Let's at least try to rehabilitate them before you internet policemen put them in front of a firing squad and have their parents' wealth confiscated.

Yes, I can read.

The fact is that no one - contrary to @timschochet's assertion - is incapable of being saved. They are still human beings, capable of doing evil things. Let's at least try to rehabilitate them before you internet policemen put them in front of a firing squad and have their parents' wealth confiscated.
I don't disagree with you however, this is way more substantial than stealing a car or robbing someone.  The heinous nature of what they did completely sets this apart from just about any other situation.  Let's say that they playing with a gun and accidentally shot someone.  I agree that ruining their lives is probably not the best course of action.  Setting someone on fire.  How could the result be anything other than severe pain and suffering if not death?  This is what sets it apart from other "kids will be kids scenario's".  I get where you are coming from but, we will just have to disagree. 

I don't disagree with you however, this is way more substantial than stealing a car or robbing someone.  The heinous nature of what they did completely sets this apart from just about any other situation.  Let's say that they playing with a gun and accidentally shot someone.  I agree that ruining their lives is probably not the best course of action.  Setting someone on fire.  How could the result be anything other than severe pain and suffering if not death?  This is what sets it apart from other "kids will be kids scenario's".  I get where you are coming from but, we will just have to disagree. 
I don't understand your point here. It seems like you agree with tomservo that these kids could be saved and we should try. But then you say that this crime is so terrible that ... we shouldn't save these kids? I didn't quite understand. 

I don't understand your point here. It seems like you agree with tomservo that these kids could be saved and we should try. But then you say that this crime is so terrible that ... we shouldn't save these kids? I didn't quite understand. 
Not sure anyone can understand the evil involved here.  There kids cannot be saved.  This was a calculated act. 

Is nobody calling for the culprits parents to serve time?  Or at least lose their parental rights?  They failed.  The kids aren't blameless but a 9yo doing this learns it somewhere and hasn't been taught decency.  

Users who are viewing this thread