Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
elbowrm

NFL viewership off 11% YOY

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-07/nfl-blames-unprecedented-interest-in-election-for-ratings-drop?utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-business

Obviously the debate didn't help - but that was just one game.  I'm curious whether anyone else is watching less football this year. For me it's a culmination of things - the first being that Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night football is too many nights a week.  

The rookie QBs, as well as no Brady, no Bell - along with underperformance by the Saints, Panthers, etc. - all have a lot to do with it.  

Kaepernick?  Not an issue for me, but I can see that being something that may drive some people away.  

Thoughts?

Love watching as much as ever. I wish there was a Friday night game.

• Like 6

As a fellow FBG posted on facebook...did they take into account "cord-cutters" and the like?

• Like 3

Just now, Cliff Clavin said:

Haven't watched a minute this year. Don't miss it at all.

• Like 1

Sports were a good escape from politics and day to day BS.

Now it's impossible to escape all the storylines about Kaepernick and the National Anthem. 

I'd wager the NBA will see the same thing and decline in viewership. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaa

There's some twisted irony in the fact that my city finally gets an NFL team and I stop watching.

31 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Sports were a good escape from politics and day to day BS.

Now it's impossible to escape all the storylines about Kaepernick and the National Anthem. 

I'd wager the NBA will see the same thing and decline in viewership. 

The national anthem thing seems like a pretty weak reason not to watch a football game. The anthem is only like 2 minutes long at the beginning of the game, most of the time there is a commercial break between the anthem and the opening kickoff. Seems like the perfect time to make sure you have some snacks and cold beverages ready for the 1st quarter.

I enjoy watching football more than any other sport but I do find myself tuning out of the Thursday night games more often than not.

• Like 1

I haven't watched a single game this year, and this is coming from a guy who watched all day Sunday, Monday Night, and Thursday night games in the past.  I think with Peyton retiring I just don't have a desire to follow anyone or any team.   Let me guess New England is really good this year?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

The national anthem thing seems like a pretty weak reason not to watch a football game.

I seriously doubt that the anthem thing has caused viewership to drop 11%. 

57 minutes ago, elbowrm said:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-07/nfl-blames-unprecedented-interest-in-election-for-ratings-drop?utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-business

Obviously the debate didn't help - but that was just one game.  I'm curious whether anyone else is watching less football this year. For me it's a culmination of things - the first being that Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night football is too many nights a week.  

The rookie QBs, as well as no Brady, no Bell - along with underperformance by the Saints, Panthers, etc. - all have a lot to do with it.  

Kaepernick?  Not an issue for me, but I can see that being something that may drive some people away.  

Thoughts?

I have barely watched this year but has been odd.... will watch more going forward.

20 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

It's not Kaepernick it's Goodell.

Oh, the new guy? Makes sense. 

streaming from sources that aren't counted.  Everyone i know has gotten rid of cable in the past year and streams everything.

2 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

streaming from sources that aren't counted.  Everyone i know has gotten rid of cable in the past year and streams everything.

That's some of it. You don't have to be in front of your TV to watch a game.

I grew up watching half a day Saturday and all day Sunday.   Insisted on direct tv when I got married.  Now i have an 8 year old and the deal with my wife is  "pick one".  It's Saturday and it's not even close.   

Forget all the upside of college for a minute it's the NFL that sucks.  Kickoff, punt, commercial, TD, commercial, kickoff, commercial, instant replay on 2d down/comercial, 2 min warning commercial........  every other play has a penalty  and a ten minute discussion and it has nothing to do with getting it right and everything to do with adding 4 more commercials.   Most games are 3:30 now at a min.... it sucks.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, The Ref said:

I grew up watching half a day Saturday and all day Sunday.   Insisted on direct tv when I got married.  Now i have an 8 year old and the deal with my wife is  "pick one".  It's Saturday and it's not even close.   

Forget all the upside of college for a minute it's the NFL that sucks.  Kickoff, punt, commercial, TD, commercial, kickoff, commercial, instant replay on 2d down/comercial, 2 min warning commercial........  every other play has a penalty  and a ten minute discussion and it has nothing to do with getting it right and everything to do with adding 4 more commercials.   Most games are 3:30 now at a min.... it sucks.

College football games are longer than NFL games. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-games-are-far-too-long-1473894842

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sconch said:

As a fellow FBG posted on facebook...did they take into account "cord-cutters" and the like?

This is me. I can't watch any games unless they're on broadcast TV. So all those ESPN games are out.

#1. Too many commercials. The only way I can watch anymore is RedZone or Sunday Ticket.

#2. Idk, maybe they should try letting these guys express themselves and not get ejected for hurting the other guy's feelings?

1 hour ago, Sconch said:

:goodposting: Pretty sure this is the reason. A lot of people have cut the cord...

1 hour ago, Yenrub said:

The national anthem thing seems like a pretty weak reason not to watch a football game. The anthem is only like 2 minutes long at the beginning of the game, most of the time there is a commercial break between the anthem and the opening kickoff. Seems like the perfect time to make sure you have some snacks and cold beverages ready for the 1st quarter.

I enjoy watching football more than any other sport but I do find myself tuning out of the Thursday night games more often than not.

I don't care now to support spoiled millionaires who aren't grateful for the opportunities they have in this country.  I can't go on NFL or ESPN or watch a game without the politics being brought up.  If the league wants to support ideas and actions that are further dividing this country (in my opinion), I can choose not to support that product as much as I did in the past.  At the end of the day, 99% of athletes are nobodies who play a kid's game for a living.  There are far more important people in this country like veterans and first responders who make my life better than the majority of other people on this earth.

40 people in the Shark Pool right now.

53 people in the FFA.

Considering this is a FF site I think that's a problem.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dgreen said:

College football games are longer than NFL games. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-games-are-far-too-long-1473894842

They are for two reasons.   The clock stops after every first down.  There is more scoring esp in conferences like CUSA and the Big 12.

im all for more football and less commercials and stoppages.

3 minutes ago, The Ref said:

They are for two reasons.   The clock stops after every first down.  There is more scoring esp in conferences like CUSA and the Big 12.

im all for more football and less commercials and stoppages.

and the halftime band

50 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

I don't care now to support spoiled millionaires who aren't grateful for the opportunities they have in this country.  I can't go on NFL or ESPN or watch a game without the politics being brought up.  If the league wants to support ideas and actions that are further dividing this country (in my opinion), I can choose not to support that product as much as I did in the past.  At the end of the day, 99% of athletes are nobodies who play a kid's game for a living.  There are far more important people in this country like veterans and first responders who make my life better than the majority of other people on this earth.

:lmao:

I wish they had nfl football on every night except saturday night as there are good college games on.  At the very least, I'd just put it on as background noise.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cstu said:

40 people in the Shark Pool right now.

53 people in the FFA.

Considering this is a FF site I think that's a problem.

If you have seen the shark pool lately, you would know that's the problem....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

:lmao:

:lmao:  I have a lot of disposable income which means it's not that difficult to find other things to do.

1 hour ago, tjnc09 said:

What if I told you that a good number of veterans joined the service to get a job, learn a skill or to get out of their boring town and they really didn't give two craps about making anyone's life better?

10 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

:lmao:  I have a lot of disposable income which means it's not that difficult to find other things to do.

On a Monday night? :lol:  

28 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Then why are you here...on an anonymous internet message board...on a Friday night?

• Like 5

I've been saying this for a while, but there's only one way the NFL goes from here, and it ain't getting more fans.  We have seen "peak football" IMO.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tjnc09 said:

So you're saying you don't understand sports at all?

4 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Then why are you here...on an anonymous internet message board...on a Friday night?

Giants.  I have no problem supporting the MLB.

Edited by tjnc09

2 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I've been saying this for a while, but there's only one way the NFL goes from here, and it ain't getting more fans.  We have seen "peak football" IMO.

So the question then becomes, what was the downfall? Where did it start to go wrong?