What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL viewership off 11% YOY (1 Viewer)

elbowrm

Footballguy
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-07/nfl-blames-unprecedented-interest-in-election-for-ratings-drop?utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-business

Obviously the debate didn't help - but that was just one game.  I'm curious whether anyone else is watching less football this year. For me it's a culmination of things - the first being that Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night football is too many nights a week.  

The rookie QBs, as well as no Brady, no Bell - along with underperformance by the Saints, Panthers, etc. - all have a lot to do with it.  

Kaepernick?  Not an issue for me, but I can see that being something that may drive some people away.  

Thoughts?

Sports were a good escape from politics and day to day BS.

Now it's impossible to escape all the storylines about Kaepernick and the National Anthem. 

I'd wager the NBA will see the same thing and decline in viewership. 

Sports were a good escape from politics and day to day BS.

Now it's impossible to escape all the storylines about Kaepernick and the National Anthem. 

I'd wager the NBA will see the same thing and decline in viewership. 
The national anthem thing seems like a pretty weak reason not to watch a football game. The anthem is only like 2 minutes long at the beginning of the game, most of the time there is a commercial break between the anthem and the opening kickoff. Seems like the perfect time to make sure you have some snacks and cold beverages ready for the 1st quarter.

I enjoy watching football more than any other sport but I do find myself tuning out of the Thursday night games more often than not.

I haven't watched a single game this year, and this is coming from a guy who watched all day Sunday, Monday Night, and Thursday night games in the past.  I think with Peyton retiring I just don't have a desire to follow anyone or any team.   Let me guess New England is really good this year?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-07/nfl-blames-unprecedented-interest-in-election-for-ratings-drop?utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-business

Obviously the debate didn't help - but that was just one game.  I'm curious whether anyone else is watching less football this year. For me it's a culmination of things - the first being that Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night football is too many nights a week.  

The rookie QBs, as well as no Brady, no Bell - along with underperformance by the Saints, Panthers, etc. - all have a lot to do with it.  

Kaepernick?  Not an issue for me, but I can see that being something that may drive some people away.  

Thoughts?
I have barely watched this year but has been odd.... will watch more going forward.

streaming from sources that aren't counted.  Everyone i know has gotten rid of cable in the past year and streams everything.

I grew up watching half a day Saturday and all day Sunday.   Insisted on direct tv when I got married.  Now i have an 8 year old and the deal with my wife is  "pick one".  It's Saturday and it's not even close.   

Forget all the upside of college for a minute it's the NFL that sucks.  Kickoff, punt, commercial, TD, commercial, kickoff, commercial, instant replay on 2d down/comercial, 2 min warning commercial........  every other play has a penalty  and a ten minute discussion and it has nothing to do with getting it right and everything to do with adding 4 more commercials.   Most games are 3:30 now at a min.... it sucks.

I grew up watching half a day Saturday and all day Sunday.   Insisted on direct tv when I got married.  Now i have an 8 year old and the deal with my wife is  "pick one".  It's Saturday and it's not even close.   

Forget all the upside of college for a minute it's the NFL that sucks.  Kickoff, punt, commercial, TD, commercial, kickoff, commercial, instant replay on 2d down/comercial, 2 min warning commercial........  every other play has a penalty  and a ten minute discussion and it has nothing to do with getting it right and everything to do with adding 4 more commercials.   Most games are 3:30 now at a min.... it sucks.
College football games are longer than NFL games. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-games-are-far-too-long-1473894842

#1. Too many commercials. The only way I can watch anymore is RedZone or Sunday Ticket.

#2. Idk, maybe they should try letting these guys express themselves and not get ejected for hurting the other guy's feelings?

The national anthem thing seems like a pretty weak reason not to watch a football game. The anthem is only like 2 minutes long at the beginning of the game, most of the time there is a commercial break between the anthem and the opening kickoff. Seems like the perfect time to make sure you have some snacks and cold beverages ready for the 1st quarter.

I enjoy watching football more than any other sport but I do find myself tuning out of the Thursday night games more often than not.
I don't care now to support spoiled millionaires who aren't grateful for the opportunities they have in this country.  I can't go on NFL or ESPN or watch a game without the politics being brought up.  If the league wants to support ideas and actions that are further dividing this country (in my opinion), I can choose not to support that product as much as I did in the past.  At the end of the day, 99% of athletes are nobodies who play a kid's game for a living.  There are far more important people in this country like veterans and first responders who make my life better than the majority of other people on this earth.

I don't care now to support spoiled millionaires who aren't grateful for the opportunities they have in this country.  I can't go on NFL or ESPN or watch a game without the politics being brought up.  If the league wants to support ideas and actions that are further dividing this country (in my opinion), I can choose not to support that product as much as I did in the past.  At the end of the day, 99% of athletes are nobodies who play a kid's game for a living.  There are far more important people in this country like veterans and first responders who make my life better than the majority of other people on this earth.
:lmao:

I wish they had nfl football on every night except saturday night as there are good college games on.  At the very least, I'd just put it on as background noise.

What if I told you that a good number of veterans joined the service to get a job, learn a skill or to get out of their boring town and they really didn't give two craps about making anyone's life better?

So you're saying you don't understand sports at all?

Users who are viewing this thread