Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
elbowrm

NFL viewership off 11% YOY

20 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Excited about losing 95% of their revenue?  99%?  Streaming brings in money to twitch streamers and camgirls with vibrators that are tuned to tips, not pro sports teams.  

From BizJournal in November:

The NFL struck its first DirecTV package in 1994, allowing the satellite broadcaster to offer all games to subscribers in addition to the ones shown on broadcast in their markets. In 2014, the NFL agreed to extend the satellite deal for another eight years at $1.5 billion annually through 2022, a 50 percent increase from the previous 2009 renewal. The option allows the league to slice the last three years off the current deal. That means if the NFL exercises the option, next season is the last under the current deal.

Networks will continue to pay what they have. It's the viability and maturation of the digital market that has greater value to them. They hold the cards especially with Amazon and now Roku offering subscription services to premium channels.

11 hours ago, culdeus said:

Excited about losing 95% of their revenue?  99%?  Streaming brings in money to twitch streamers and camgirls with vibrators that are tuned to tips, not pro sports teams.  

Good point Blockbuster.  Er, I mean, culdeus.

The streaming rights are still far less than TV rights, sure.  Fox is paying about $55m per TNF game over five years, while Amazon is paying like $6m per game over two years.   But that $6m is 30% higher than what Amazon paid for it last season.  If streaming sustains that kind of growth and other streaming platforms get involved in the bidding, could be a pretty sizable chunk of change.

Even if TV networks are not willing to pay as much down the road they could come out ahead.  And given how the NFL grew this year even though I imagine (without checking) that TV viewership probably continued to decline, the NFL may be even more important to TV networks as a mechanism for selling their shows.

Not to mention those networks are starting up their own streaming services which could up things further.

• Like 1

Super Bowl viewership at the lowest level in 10 years.

Link

I know for me, I only hate watched in the hope that New England would lose.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 6:21 AM, GregR said:

Good point Blockbuster.  Er, I mean, culdeus.

The streaming rights are still far less than TV rights, sure.  Fox is paying about $55m per TNF game over five years, while Amazon is paying like $6m per game over two years.   But that $6m is 30% higher than what Amazon paid for it last season.  If streaming sustains that kind of growth and other streaming platforms get involved in the bidding, could be a pretty sizable chunk of change.

Even if TV networks are not willing to pay as much down the road they could come out ahead.  And given how the NFL grew this year even though I imagine (without checking) that TV viewership probably continued to decline, the NFL may be even more important to TV networks as a mechanism for selling their shows.

Not to mention those networks are starting up their own streaming services which could up things further.

Did you see Bezos in the box with Goodell?  Thought that was interesting. They probably helped the poor afterwards. 

3 hours ago, Jobber said:

Link

I know for me, I only hate watched in the hope that New England would lose.

I watched but didn't have the excitement I normally have going in..

Throughout the Playoffs I wanted a KC vs. NO Super Bowl as I felt that would be the most exciting match-up..

Disliked how the Rams got in..

Although in 15 years we are going to look back at the run Brady and Belichick have had and :jawdrop:  ....  at this point I've had enough.. 

An ultra low scoring game and Maroon5 to look forward to at halftime? How in the world could anyone not continue to watch?

I thought the game was good.  I like good defense way more than an offensive shootout.

Well done by the Pats keeping that team to 3 points.  Brady/Belichek tandem continues to be a monster and Edelman was great last night.

4 hours ago, Jobber said:

Link

Not surprising.  The two best teams in the league were knocked out in the conference championship games.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Johnnymac said:

I thought the game was good.  I like good defense way more than an offensive shootout.

I am surprised that the NFL did not make rule changes during halftime to make scoring even easier.

I am kind of glad the Pats won with old fashioned defense and running.   I like scoring when there is a balance but when every rule change favors the offense, you get Arena Football and I don't find constant scoring that fun to watch.  I know the casual viewers love it though and that is in the end who they cater too.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I know the casual viewers love it though and that is in the end who they cater too.

Bingo.

36 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I would have thought the large L.A. market would have helped the ratings more. 

People in LA don't really like football. 

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

People in LA don't really like football. 

actually they love it.  They just call it futbol instead :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

I would have thought the large L.A. market would have helped the ratings more. 

I heard this morning that the LA market had the second lowest Nielsen rating of any market with a team in the Superbowl. But, but, but, St. Louis can't support an NFL team the way LA can. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

I heard this morning that the LA market had the second lowest Nielsen rating of any market with a team in the Superbowl. But, but, but, St. Louis can't support an NFL team the way LA can. :rolleyes:

The NFL is pooping down their own neck. They have managed to turn a product that everyone wanted into something that people are starting to despise. 

2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

The NFL is pooping down their own neck. They have managed to turn a product that everyone wanted into something that people are starting to despise. 

Yep. I didn't watch the Superbowl for the first time in about 30 years. Still haven't seen a highlight or a commercial (although, I might go check out the commercials on YouTube). They pretty much alienate three markets (SD, Oakland and StL) cram two teams into LA, a city that can't support one team, and at the same time diminish the product on the field with the way penalties are called and reviews are performed. They keep trying to increase scoring to offset but that is increasing the crazy calls (particularly when hitting QB's). I am now craving college football on a weekly basis and I don't have any players going in my FFB league which added to the interest in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, TheFanatic said:

Yep. I didn't watch the Superbowl for the first time in about 30 years. Still haven't seen a highlight or a commercial (although, I might go check out the commercials on YouTube). They pretty much alienate three markets (SD, Oakland and StL) cram two teams into LA, a city that can't support one team, and at the same time diminish the product on the field with the way penalties are called and reviews are performed. They keep trying to increase scoring to offset but that is increasing the crazy calls (particularly when hitting QB's). I am now craving college football on a weekly basis and I don't have any players going in my FFB league which added to the interest in the NFL. 

Sounds just like me.  Fist time that I too didn't watch at least some of the SB in 30 years.  I haven't seen any highlights or even listened to ant newscasts concerning the game. The NFL is fading from my life and the SB matchup was the least interesting that I can remember.   It was easy to skip watching two boring teams.  

14 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Ratings were up 5% for the year. An average of 16 million people watched every game. 

25 minutes ago, Capella said:

Ratings were up 5% for the year. An average of 16 million people watched every game. 

So still down 6% from 2 years ago. Got it. 

19 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

So still down 6% from 2 years ago. Got it. 

16.5M in 2016 to 15.9 last year. And that’s tv. Streaming is up 830% and the league is going to hit 25 billion in revenue this year. If you think the league is struggling then I really don’t know what to tell you. That’s just not based in reality. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, facook said:

AAF gettin some things right. No tv timeouts and challenges are excellent. No running to the sideline AND you can hear the replay official tell the field ref what’s up.  Listen up, NFL.

NFL can’t do NO TV timeouts due to  Derek Carr’s salary but maybe there can be a middle ground.

NFL television ratings rose this season by 5% compared with 2018, the league announced Friday. The increase is part of a two-year surge that has partially reversed viewership losses the league suffered in the middle of the previous decade.

The average NFL game was watched by 16.5 million viewers, the highest total since the 2016 season. It averaged 15.8 million in 2018 and 14.9 million in 2017. Meanwhile, digital viewership increased 51% compared to the 2018 season. According to the league, an average of 487,000 viewers streamed each game in 2019.

The NFL has been one of the few success stories amid a drop in television ratings for all shows. All of the top 10 broadcasts in 2019 were NFL games. NFL games also occupied 28 of the top 30 and 47 of the top 50 ratings slots.

• Like 3

this is due to other tv sucking much more these days.

the nfl is the only thing left.

2 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

this is due to other tv sucking much more these days.

the nfl is the only thing left.

Lol if you can’t find something good on tv now that’s on you. It’s never ever been better. 

• Like 1

Still probably the best sport to watch on TV. Very entertaining. 

This pretty much proves the kneeling during the anthem was the biggest reason for the decline in prior years. You don't hear #### about that now. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Capella said:

Lol if you can’t find something good on tv now that’s on you. It’s never ever been better. 

How much of the good stuff is on a broadcast network? I make about 30 network shows and can't be bothered to watch any of them. The 40 I make for cable/streaming/on demand are the only ones anyone calls good. 

8 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

How much of the good stuff is on a broadcast network? I make about 30 network shows and can't be bothered to watch any of them. The 40 I make for cable/streaming/on demand are the only ones anyone calls good. 

Beats me. I haven’t watched a network show since Lost. Can’t imagine I ever will again. 

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Beats me. I haven’t watched a network show since Lost. Can’t imagine I ever will again. 

Pretty much the same for me. Explains why FOX cut 20% of their scripted programming in favor of live event sports, which is the only thing keeping broadcast alive. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Capella said:

NBC Office up until maybe Season 3 or 4 was the only show I saw since Survivor.  I have no idea who the hell watches network TV.  I guess old people that can't be bothered with streaming.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Pretty much the same for me. Explains why FOX cut 20% of their scripted programming in favor of live event sports, which is the only thing keeping broadcast alive. 

Do they consider WWE sports or scripted?  

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, culdeus said:

NBC Office up until maybe Season 3 or 4 was the only show I saw since Survivor.  I have no idea who the hell watches network TV.  I guess old people that can't be bothered with streaming.  

My mother enters the chat 

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

These are the kind of comments that make the FFA insufferable at times.

8 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I'm sure there is a CSI Omaha forum down the hall to the right for you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, culdeus said:

I'm sure there is a CSI Omaha forum down the hall to the right for you.

Sweet burn bro. Hope your run for "2020 FFA Doosh of the Year" is off to the rousing start you seem to be aiming for.

9 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

It’s true though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Capella said:

It’s true though. 

It is true, the FFA is pretty insufferable at times.

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

..or people who dont have internet access, or people who cant afford it. 

47 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Sweet burn bro. Hope your run for "2020 FFA Doosh of the Year" is off to the rousing start you seem to be aiming for.

So what on network TV appeals to you?  

Earlier I saw some Edie Falco police drama promo that looked absolutely terrible 

1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

I thought there was a limit of two terms?

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

6 hours ago, culdeus said:

I gotta admit, I like the local news. I wouldn't say I'm young anymore but I'm still under 40.

And yes, we do all the streaming stuff as well (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc).

13 hours ago, shadyridr said:

This pretty much proves the kneeling during the anthem was the biggest reason for the decline in prior years. You don't hear #### about that now. 

Not the kneeling, Trump tweeting about it.  If he tweeted out again to stop watching the NFL because he didn't like their unis you'd see ratings decline again.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GregR said:

NFL Attendance Down

More people staying home to watch than going to the game.  With TV quality now and no blackout rules it looks like viewership may be up because attendance is down.  You definitely can't beat the experience of being at a game, but it is getting pretty expensive for the average person to attend a game.  

9 minutes ago, snellman said:

NFL Attendance Down

More people staying home to watch than going to the game.  With TV quality now and no blackout rules it looks like viewership may be up because attendance is down.  You definitely can't beat the experience of being at a game, but it is getting pretty expensive for the average person to attend a game.  

Yep, for two to go to a game you're talking at least $200 at the cheapest. 

I looked into going to a LA Chargers game with my dad last year. The tickets were pretty expensive but knowing the stadium was small, I was considering it. 

Then I found out that there was no true handicapped parking for my dad (he's 89) and that the parking was $100!!!

$100 for parking is obscene.

So we went to a sports bar, ate and drank whatever we wanted and still spent a little less than just the friggin' parking. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, culdeus said:

Off the top of my head for myself:  The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Superstore, This is Us, Survivor.  Probably some others I'm missing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I looked into going to a LA Chargers game with my dad last year. The tickets were pretty expensive but knowing the stadium was small, I was considering it. 

Then I found out that there was no true handicapped parking for my dad (he's 89) and that the parking was $100!!!

$100 for parking is obscene.

So we went to a sports bar, ate and drank whatever we wanted and still spent a little less than just the friggin' parking. :rolleyes:

And I bet the parking was free.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Earlier I saw some Edie Falco police drama promo that looked absolutely terrible 

Can't be any worse than the Rob Lowe 9-1-1 spinoff.

The whole premise is just a cynical corporate conglomeration of every stupid trope to come out of Hollywood in the past 50 years.

As messed up a lot of these games look, at least they are close games. And for free for anyone with an antenna.

• Like 1
  • Love 1