What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who's the next Chicago WR? (1 Viewer)

Kwai Chang Caine

Footballguy
Assuming Royal is out and they are already down White and Jeffrey isn't 100%, somebody gotta catch the ball in a juicy matchup no? So...who will it be? Homers?

Hearing some good things about Cameron Meredith
I've heard the name and I guess he is technically the next man up but in the spirit of the OP's question as it relates to FF, I would advise "pass".  They aren't that good in real life or fantasy and are going to run.  

Meredith stands to play the role of WR#2 for the Bears this week. A big part of fantasy is opportunity and he may get it this week. As someone rostering Keenan Allen (IR), Decker, Diggs, and Cooks (on a bye), starting Meredith in a start-3 WR league is not that far-fetched this week.

I'm picking up Meredith in dynasty.   If he does anything, he will have some value.  Hoyer isn't that bad for WRs. 

I think royal will play.  But if he doesn't I don't want any part of these other Wrs.  I read that Meredith is very raw as described by John fox.  

Meredith is a converted basketball (in college) player who has shown solid progression in terms of wr skills, with a very good athletic/size profile. Still only 24 years old. Don't sleep on this guy

Edit* he plays indy, who has exactly one nfl-caliber db. Plug him in this week with confidence assuming royal doesnt play

Last edited by a moderator:
Meredith is a converted basketball (in college) player who has shown solid progression in terms of wr skills, with a very good athletic/size profile. Still only 24 years old. Don't sleep on this guy

Edit* he plays indy, who has exactly one nfl-caliber db. Plug him in this week with confidence assuming royal doesnt play
Confidence lol

I have a team that I feel is pretty damn good that I could be considering starting Meredith in the flex, so it can happen.  I have Ingram, CMike, Ware on bye, lost Watkins, lost Abdullah, lost Gordon before I could even say I had him, and have the disaster known as MiFloyd.  So, I have JHill/JHoward at RB1/2, Beckham and MarvJones at WR 1/2, and now need a flex.  Grabbed Royal Wednesday to plug in, that obviously went sideways, so now I am choosing between Dixon in his first week, Terrance Williams, or possibly snagging Meredith.  With this match-up, if I feel confident that Meredith is slotting in to the targets that I expected for Royal (7, 8?), I could start him.  Is it desperate, I suppose, but it's a short term desperation where I just want a warm body and 10 ppr points. 

I know, I know... "tell me more about your team/league".  I'm just trying to point to a scenario where the team is solid, but byes and injuries have made the Bears 5th WR worth looking at due to the match-up.  It's reasonable to expect that there should be a fair bit of passing yards in this game, someone has to catch them. 

I have a team that I feel is pretty damn good that I could be considering starting Meredith in the flex, so it can happen.  I have Ingram, CMike, Ware on bye, lost Watkins, lost Abdullah, lost Gordon before I could even say I had him, and have the disaster known as MiFloyd.  So, I have JHill/JHoward at RB1/2, Beckham and MarvJones at WR 1/2, and now need a flex.  Grabbed Royal Wednesday to plug in, that obviously went sideways, so now I am choosing between Dixon in his first week, Terrance Williams, or possibly snagging Meredith.  With this match-up, if I feel confident that Meredith is slotting in to the targets that I expected for Royal (7, 8?), I could start him.  Is it desperate, I suppose, but it's a short term desperation where I just want a warm body and 10 ppr points. 

I know, I know... "tell me more about your team/league".  I'm just trying to point to a scenario where the team is solid, but byes and injuries have made the Bears 5th WR worth looking at due to the match-up.  It's reasonable to expect that there should be a fair bit of passing yards in this game, someone has to catch them. 
This.

I was unaware Meredith played hoops at Illinois State (I've never seen any other mention of this). He was a backup QB before being converted to WR, and is still pretty raw in terms of route running, hands and making adjustments to the ball, but he fits the profile in terms of size and athleticism. Meredith is an intriguing, prospect to monitor, especially in deep dynasty leagues, and this week he may get a big opportunity. 

I was unaware Meredith played hoops at Illinois State (I've never seen any other mention of this). He was a backup QB before being converted to WR, and is still pretty raw in terms of route running, hands and making adjustments to the ball, but he fits the profile in terms of size and athleticism. Meredith is an intriguing, prospect to monitor, especially in deep dynasty leagues, and this week he may get a big opportunity. 
I'm an Illinois State alum. He didn't play basketball there (not sure about high school though). He was recruited as a QB and converted to WR before his junior year.

If this guy has any skill, this is his opportunity of a lifetime.

Eddie Royal is an injury ready to happen. In all his years with the Chargers, he was dinged up weekly....And Jeffery I suspect, on a one year deal, just wants to stay from a major injury so that he gets his chance for a big contract. Who knows where his heads at on a bad team....and he also gets injured a lot.

To me it seems the next man up....being Meredith, with a couple weeks, could be a WR that gets 8-10 passes a week.

Definitely keeping an eye on him and want to see how he does this week, if he gets a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the misfortune of watching some Bears games this year and I do think Hoyer will just do his quick outs repeatedly. I don't know enough about Bears backup receivers but we know Hoyer will rely on any live body from his time in Cleveland and make do with it. I also think Davis on Jeffery will have him take the easier option.

I have no idea if Meredith is any good or not. But for those asking "Are you that desperate?" keep in mind that a lot of us play in very competitive 12-team leagues where Meredith should definitely be in the conversation of Week 5 fantasy starters. 

Royal has always disappointed when given the opportunity (i.e. Good match-up, starter out, #1 target hobbled and facing the superior coverage, etc.). I expect this time to be no different.

yes, I am starting him with zero expectations and a little reverse psychology!

Users who are viewing this thread