What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Peyton Barber, LV - 9.4.21 Signs with Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

boltsfan

Footballguy
Picked up Barber as a flier to see how he does today. Between He and Rodgers, I would think Barber would be the GL back and Rodgers, I recall, was more a COP back. May be all moot when Sims and Martin, come back, but I'm interested in how others view his chances today. Tough D to go against, surely will be a test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Barber long term.  The team seems to think that Rodgers is going to carry the load this week, but I am guessing if Barber gets in there and gets the ball a bit he will look good enough to get the ball a little more at least.

They did have Barber in the game for a few snaps last week, and he did get a carry so they have to trust him at least a little bit.

With Martin's setback, how soon until Barber gets a chance for fantasy relevance? 

With Martin's setback, how soon until he gets a chance for fantasy relevance? 
Sometime between now and whenever his hamstring heals. It was a significant injury to start with and news of a "setback" doesn't bode well. 

they're calling him "week to week" so no one has any idea how soon he'll be fantasy relevant again. Including Tampa Bay. 

Sometime between now and whenever his hamstring heals. It was a significant injury to start with and news of a "setback" doesn't bode well. 

they're calling him "week" so no one has any idea how soon he'll be fantasy relevant again. Including Tampa Bay. 
I'm referring to how soon until Barber has fantasy relevance.

I think he can break out if he gets the opportunity.   I am guessing he is like most rookie backs though and isn't quite ready to handle pass blocking and knowing where to line up and be,  etc. 

I don't know anything about him but he's got decent size and he is coming off of a nice game.

- 12 carries

- 84 yards

- 1 TD

Quiz has toted the rock 56 times over the past two weeks and he is only 5'6 but compact at 205.  Still pretty small by NFL standards while Barber is 5'11 and 225.

Once Doug Martin returns, any value goes down the toilet but he 'might' be a 'decent' BYE or injury option.

I'm taking a blind flyer on the kid.  

Never know.

I'm taking a flier only because Coleman is hurt and CJ had surgery. I literally have no other choice on the FA market.

Bloom said in the Oct 25 The Couch that he believes that his number 1 candidate for this year's "out of nowhere" RB Lottery ticket is Peyton Barber.

Would be impressed if he said that before Martin had been sidelined for a month and a half. Now? Not so much. He's just chasing ambulances.

Wasn't Barber's usage exclusively in garbage time, including his loooooong stat-skewing TD?  I saw the TD on NFL network and he was literally untouched. 

I was on the road on the way home from my market while the game was on, and all I heard on the radio was Rodgers, Rodgers, Rodgers....

If that's the case I wonder if he's earned a larger role, or if this is fool's gold based on mop-up duty.  I suspect a much closer game with the Raiders (4-0 on the road) so other than COP duties, it feels like a lot of people are going to get burned by seeing his great stat line (12/84/1) and investing in him as a BYE week player. 

Wasn't Barber's usage exclusively in garbage time, including his loooooong stat-skewing TD?  I saw the TD on NFL network and he was literally untouched. 

I was on the road on the way home from my market while the game was on, and all I heard on the radio was Rodgers, Rodgers, Rodgers....

If that's the case I wonder if he's earned a larger role, or if this is fool's gold based on mop-up duty.  I suspect a much closer game with the Raiders (4-0 on the road) so other than COP duties, it feels like a lot of people are going to get burned by seeing his great stat line (12/84/1) and investing in him as a BYE week player. 
Yes.  he only got run because tb was able do whatever they wanted in the second half.  I don't think he's worth picking up

I heard one local beat reporter say that he thinks Atone Smith might get more carries to prevent Rodgers wearing down.  I definitely could be wrong, but I'm not even sure Barber is the next man up if Rodgers goes down. 

I heard one local beat reporter say that he thinks Atone Smith might get more carries to prevent Rodgers wearing down.  I definitely could be wrong, but I'm not even sure Barber is the next man up if Rodgers goes down. 
Based on what?

I think the reason to invest is in case Martin never makes it back and Rodgers can't hold up this huge workload he's never got before.

Agree with those saying he's not bye week filler. But a hold if you've got a spare roster spot as a DM owner that doesn't have Quizz.

Bloom said in the Oct 25 The Couch that he believes that his number 1 candidate for this year's "out of nowhere" RB Lottery ticket is Peyton Barber.
A guy who breaks a 40 yard td is no longer out of nowhere IMO. There is suttle buzz now. Waldman has had good things to say about him since prior to the draft. I agree with those that believe that it would take a Rodgers injury and Martin to continue to be shelved for him to have an impact. I am not so sure Antone Smith wouldn't run ahead of him based on experience. He was pretty solid in ATL and I think Barber has a learning disability based on what I have read in the past.

Can you tell us who this beat reporter was?  I haven't heard anything like this; I just scoured the sleeperbot app, twitter, rotoworld, & google for information on Rodgers, Barber, Smith and couldn't find anything.

That being said, IF this type of quote was made, Antone Smith has never been able to handle any kind of RB workload; he's never had more than 6 TOUCHES (not carries) in any single game.  Even if TB were to give him a carry here & there to spell Rodgers, IF Rodgers AND Martin were unavailable, all signs indicate that Barber would be the guy to get the lion's share of the carries.

Can you tell us who this beat reporter was?  I haven't heard anything like this; I just scoured the sleeperbot app, twitter, rotoworld, & google for information on Rodgers, Barber, Smith and couldn't find anything.

That being said, IF this type of quote was made, Antone Smith has never been able to handle any kind of RB workload; he's never had more than 6 TOUCHES (not carries) in any single game.  Even if TB were to give him a carry here & there to spell Rodgers, IF Rodgers AND Martin were unavailable, all signs indicate that Barber would be the guy to get the lion's share of the carries.
Mark Cook of Pewter Report - but on a podcast which is why you can't find it.  I can post it, but I have no idea where in the 2 hour podcast he said it. Pewter Report does a good job of reporting reliable information on the Buccaneers for a long time.

To be clear, he said (and I said) he thinks Smith gets more carries. I don't think the team is very high on Barber as a player (and yes he has a learning disability).  It's entirely possible I'm wrong.  Just to back myself up a bit though, I did predict that Rodgers would take over for Sims after Sims first game starting.  I only say that to demonstrate, as a Bucs fan, I have some idea of what the team looks like on gameday (not just as reported by fantasy football talking heads).  Even while many FF people were pumping Sims, he never looked good as an RB and was only talented in space which caused him to be overvalued from last year.  Even if he wasn't injured, he was going to be demoted.  In some ways, Sims is a good corollary for Barber as Sims would pop some nice runs and people would miss his previous 3 stuffs (he also ran against pass defences). 

Barber also hasn't looked great. Obviously some of the FBG guys disagree with me and they certainly have a stronger pedigree.  And yes Smith hasn't ever had many carries (and is old at 31).  Smith getting more carries also doesn't mean that Barber is the next man up if Rodgers goes down.  But the Bucs like his explosiveness (and he also was a former Falcon cut by the Bears lol).  I also don't think the Bucs will look as good as they did against the terrible 49ers run defence and Barber won't see those kinds of stats again.  If Rogers is injured, he'll be at most a 3.5 YPC back in a likely RBBC.  

Again, could be wrong.  My opinion is informed, but it's just an opinion. 

Mark Cook of Pewter Report - but on a podcast which is why you can't find it.  I can post it, but I have no idea where in the 2 hour podcast he said it. Pewter Report does a good job of reporting reliable information on the Buccaneers for a long time.

To be clear, he said (and I said) he thinks Smith gets more carries. I don't think the team is very high on Barber as a player (and yes he has a learning disability).  It's entirely possible I'm wrong.  Just to back myself up a bit though, I did predict that Rodgers would take over for Sims after Sims first game starting.  I only say that to demonstrate, as a Bucs fan, I have some idea of what the team looks like on gameday (not just as reported by fantasy football talking heads).  Even while many FF people were pumping Sims, he never looked good as an RB and was only talented in space which caused him to be overvalued from last year.  Even if he wasn't injured, he was going to be demoted.  In some ways, Sims is a good corollary for Barber as Sims would pop some nice runs and people would miss his previous 3 stuffs (he also ran against pass defences). 

Barber also hasn't looked great. Obviously some of the FBG guys disagree with me and they certainly have a stronger pedigree.  And yes Smith hasn't ever had many carries (and is old at 31).  Smith getting more carries also doesn't mean that Barber is the next man up if Rodgers goes down.  But the Bucs like his explosiveness (and he also was a former Falcon cut by the Bears lol).  I also don't think the Bucs will look as good as they did against the terrible 49ers run defence and Barber won't see those kinds of stats again.  If Rogers is injured, he'll be at most a 3.5 YPC back in a likely RBBC.  

Again, could be wrong.  My opinion is informed, but it's just an opinion. 
Just curious....can you unpack Barber not looking good? I have not seen anything but the broken run. 

Got the start and looked pretty decent.   Didn't do anything to lose the job,  and Smith was injured.   He had an easy drop but otherwise looked like good hands.   I like this guy long term. 

kittenmittens said:
Got the start and looked pretty decent.   Didn't do anything to lose the job,  and Smith was injured.   He had an easy drop but otherwise looked like good hands.   I like this guy long term. 
Martin will probably take the job back next week, but I agree he's a dynasty hold.

Martin will probably take the job back next week, but I agree he's a dynasty hold.
What's the source on that news, I haven't seen anything indicating Martin was coming back soon, in fact everything they've been doing roster wise has said the opposite.

What's the source on that news, I haven't seen anything indicating Martin was coming back soon, in fact everything they've been doing roster wise has said the opposite.
I haven't heard anything saying he'll probably be back next week (although that does seem to be a fairly popular opinion), but how have any roster moves "said the opposite?"

I haven't heard anything saying he'll probably be back next week (although that does seem to be a fairly popular opinion), but how have any roster moves "said the opposite?"
The signing of Smith and James to go with Barber.

this week will be interesting, Smith went down late with what looked like a very serious leg/knee injury, he could not put any weight on it.

this week will be interesting, Smith went down late with what looked like a very serious leg/knee injury, he could not put any weight on it.
Did you expect them to go into a game with only one RB? Most teams carry 3-4 active RBs on game day.

As for my source, I think there have been many predicting a week 10 return. Jene Bramel among them. There's definitely a non-zero chance that Martin misses week 10, but I think it would be foolish to be counting on Barber in your week 10 lineup at this point.

Smith was signed several weeks ago after Sims got hurt, James was signed last week after Rodgers got hurt.  The connection to be made is with those 2 RBs, not Martin, IMO. 

Do you have a hyperlink to news about the injury Smith sustained last night I can't find anything

there has been zero news, the injury did not look good

and they finished the game with Barber on the field getting target after target and he missed a TD by a couple yards right before Brate got his

Rick Stroud just tweeted " RB Antone Smith and DE Howard Jones suffered season ending knee injuries. "

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD
This news is 24+ hours old and all three FBG staffers who offer projections still have him (Smith) making meaningful contributions this weekend.

Sad how poor the quality of the non-daily product has become.

This news is 24+ hours old and all three FBG staffers who offer projections still have him (Smith) making meaningful contributions this weekend.

Seriously!  Folks thinking about whether to put Smith into their lineups this week could make a horrible mistake!!!

One of the things I actually respect about FBGs is that they don't go back and edit their predictions as early results come in. 

If next week's projections have Smith making meaningful contributions, that would be worth complaining about.

Picky picky.

To be honest, I'd rather not see those projections because I don't want to be reminded of the hype he got that somehow convinced me to pick him up and start him!

No buzz on this guy? Sounds like he might take some serious snaps from Doug Martin this week. Has the SEC Auburn pedigree. Looks like a pretty hard, angry runner from college higlights. At minimum might be good on the GL. (Should TB ever get there ...)

No buzz on this guy? Sounds like he might take some serious snaps from Doug Martin this week. Has the SEC Auburn pedigree. Looks like a pretty hard, angry runner from college higlights. At minimum might be good on the GL. (Should TB ever get there ...)
Yours was the first post on him in over a year... I figure that means he is worth leaving on my waiver wire... not even a whisper about him!

Yours was the first post on him in over a year... I figure that means he is worth leaving on my waiver wire... not even a whisper about him!
Well I know the general FF community is largely ignorant of him. Was hoping for any homer insight. 

But with people usually so desperate for any RB here is a guy that just saw more snaps over the struggling vet who the coaching staff isn't exactly enamored with and the coach has said they will look at everything this week including giving Barber more touches. 

And while he's an UDFA with no draft pedigree, he went to Auburn where he played well enough. (He only came out early to support his mom which obviously hurt his draft stock.)

We're also not talking about a guy who has bounced around the league for 5-6 years already and not shown anything. He's only 23 and in his second year. 

I don't know, to me he is the ideal one-week early speculative add. Both dynasty and redraft. 

I don't feel like people are ignorant of him any more than they are of any other rarely used backups. He's certainly had some buzz in the past. But let's be realistic - the starter missed three games but Barber failed to beat out the pedestrian Jacquizz Rodgers for snaps during that span and had zero impact after Doug returned from suspension. From what I've read, the Bucs rested a lot of starters during the last half of the 3rd quarter and beyond in week 9, so his snaps last week indicate nothing to me. The OC said "we're going to consider everything" which is coach speak for "you asked me a question and I'm replying with nothing of substance."

The Jets are shockingly playing pretty well, so I would not expect this game to have a positive script for the running game. Also, the Jets defense is not giving up a lot of points to RBs.

Barber remains a fair stash in dynasty leagues with ~300+ offensive players rostered, but should not be rostered in conventional 12 team redrafts. 

TL;DR - No, no buzz on this guy.

Well I know the general FF community is largely ignorant of him. Was hoping for any homer insight. 

But with people usually so desperate for any RB here is a guy that just saw more snaps over the struggling vet who the coaching staff isn't exactly enamored with and the coach has said they will look at everything this week including giving Barber more touches. 

And while he's an UDFA with no draft pedigree, he went to Auburn where he played well enough. (He only came out early to support his mom which obviously hurt his draft stock.)

We're also not talking about a guy who has bounced around the league for 5-6 years already and not shown anything. He's only 23 and in his second year. 

I don't know, to me he is the ideal one-week early speculative add. Both dynasty and redraft. 
The general FF community is not ignorant of him. We, correctly, just don't see anything worth buzzing about yet.

And there has been nothing to suggest the coaching staff "isn't exactly enamored with" Martin on or off the field.

Users who are viewing this thread