What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jacquizz Rodgers - sneaky contrarian play, or not? (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin'

Footballguy
With Martin on the shelf and Sims doubtful is Rodgers a low cost DFS contrarian play against a tough CAR matchup?

Yeah I am thinking about starting him over Bobby Rainey and Fozzy Wittaker...

It's probably a toss-up with Rainey vs Green Bay - same type of thing although I do think Rainey is a lot more talented.  The problem with Rainey was never rushing/receiving but always fumbles.

Yeah I am thinking about starting him over Bobby Rainey and Fozzy Wittaker...

It's probably a toss-up with Rainey vs Green Bay - same type of thing although I do think Rainey is a lot more talented.  The problem with Rainey was never rushing/receiving but always fumbles.
Of the 3, I would pick Whittaker. I think GB's defense is tough to run on, Barber will get some touches (projected around 5.5 PPR), and CAR will likely have a lead and want to run the ball a lot if they can (probably a split between Fozzy and Artis-Payne).

He is a great little screen back. Watched his whole career in Atlanta. He could definitely get you some TDs. Koetter knows the Panthers inside and out as does Mike Smith. Given Andersons penchant for throwing interceptions the Bucs will get plenty of chances to score. Koetter had Quizz pretty much his whole career save a few years in Chicago. Definitely a sneaky play that could allow you to stack higher priced players in my estimation. Good call.

He is a great little screen back. Watched his whole career in Atlanta. He could definitely get you some TDs. Koetter knows the Panthers inside and out as does Mike Smith. Given Andersons penchant for throwing interceptions the Bucs will get plenty of chances to score. Koetter had Quizz pretty much his whole career save a few years in Chicago. Definitely a sneaky play that could allow you to stack higher priced players in my estimation. Good call.
Not as big of a fan...

When he was with the Falcons I always thought of him as a big powerful back trapped in a little mans body.  The difference between him and Sproles was that Sproles quickness was unreal while Rodgers was barely average here.  What he is though is versatile so he can catch passes out of the backfield and also he's great in pass pro.  That's why he keeps hanging around.

But against the Panthers DL/LB's, he's overmatched..

I dont' think he's a sneaky contrarian play....but more like a sneaky contrarian DESPERATE play.  Choosing between him and a couple of other equally ranked/drafted RBs would be akin to choosing between getting kicked in the nuts or head.....so I guess a case could be made for choosing the head over the nuts.  

There are worse choices...there are better choices.  

Not as big of a fan...

When he was with the Falcons I always thought of him as a big powerful back trapped in a little mans body.  The difference between him and Sproles was that Sproles quickness was unreal while Rodgers was barely average here.  What he is though is versatile so he can catch passes out of the backfield and also he's great in pass pro.  That's why he keeps hanging around.

But against the Panthers DL/LB's, he's overmatched..
Respect your opinion. He's definitely not as fast as Sproles. CJ Anderson sure lit them up though. Not sure I would automatically assume the Panthers can stop any decent RBs right now. Coleman and Freeman had no problems and Freeman ain't too fast either. All that said he could easily bust but that can happen to any player just ask Cam Newton who was supposed blow the Falcons out. What was his stat line last week?

Last edited by a moderator:
So tell us why it was a "contrarian play".

With Martin on the shelf and Sims doubtful is Rodgers a low cost DFS contrarian play against a tough CAR matchup?
A contrarian play is one that goes against the normal, standard "chalk" plays in which the player is highly owned percentage wise. Rodgers may only be played by like 1-2% or even less vs. the chalk plays of 25-30% ownership or more.

Sims on IR. Do we have a 7th round value now with Rodgers filling his role?
Not for me.  I dropped Sims for Rodgers on Monday when the IR news hit, and today I dropped Rodgers for Corey Coleman.  Probably would not have dropped Sims for Coleman.

Starting him over Hopkins in my flex, with Hyde and Dougie Fresh injured on my bench. Just traded for Martin, once again proving the FF gods are cruel.

Playing against Quizz and Ty Montgomery this week.

Suddenly feeling very nervous.

Dream matchup/opportunity for Quizz this week.

Dropped him after his wonderful performance two weeks ago and have Martin ready to go. Then I heard the news on Fantasy satellite radio and was able to get him back again. Had to drop Booker to get J Rodgers back.

Putting him in over Ingram in another league as well! So tired of Ingram and his non goal line carries!

If Latavius is still out (or maybe even if he plays), I'll start Quizz. I still don't think he's any good, but I'll settle for the opportunity.

Genuinely, I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin go on IR, or at least not emerge soon enough to be trustable and useable for fantasy, so I'm hoping (in spite of my better judgement) that Quizz can hold it together and maintain sole possession of the backfield, even if that only translates to low end RB2/flex numbers.

Genuinely, I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin go on IR, or at least not emerge soon enough to be trustable and useable for fantasy, so I'm hoping (in spite of my better judgement) that Quizz can hold it together and maintain sole possession of the backfield, even if that only translates to low end RB2/flex numbers.
Yeah "setbacks" on soft tissue injuries always raise an eyebrow, right up there with "mid-foot sprains". Both are the kinds of things that tend to linger. Never wish injuries on anyone, but I certainly wouldn't mind if Martin takes a few more weeks. 

I'm starting this week with confidence.  Granted my RB corp is not great I can only hope that he or one of my other not great RB's on paper or ranking can emerge as a consistent RB week in and week out.  Could Jizz turn into a lottery ticket?  I surely hope so and of course, contingent upon Martin but Sims is out of the way and all the so called experts talk about his "familiarly"with Koetter and the offense from when they were in ATL

Starting him over Howard.  Would also start him over West or Ingram this week.  He will probably get more touches than most backs this week and is capable as a receiver.

Quiz definitely isn't a contrarian play this week. Seems like every DFS guy under the sun is touting him. 

And the next three games for him would be at home, with next week vs the #30 run defense Oakland Raiders.

tkrull said:
This week I'm starting him with confidence over ____________.

D.Freeman
No one. My other RBs are McCoy, Stewart, Riddick. So him and Mike Gillislee are my starting RBs out of default lol.....

But glad to at least have 2 decent options who were far less valuable just a few days ago.

No one. My other RBs are McCoy, Stewart, Riddick. So him and Mike Gillislee are my starting RBs out of default lol.....

But glad to at least have 2 decent options who were far less valuable just a few days ago.
Very similar to you. Mine were McCoy, Blount, Matthews, and now Rodgers and Gillislee. Starting Rodgers and one of Gore or Gillislee (prob Gore)

All signs are pointing to a very productive day for Jacquizz Rodgers this week. The stars have aligned. Tough to say, but he is a very strong potential top 5 RB this week. Most will only go so far to say a top 10-12. Great matchup, lots of rest, high rush projection and touching the ball, no real RBBC.

25 rushes, 100 yards / 5 receptions, 25 yards and one TD is about his median with high floor and high ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread