What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cameron Meredith - WR - NE Patriots (1 Viewer)

I thought I noticed the Packers rolling coverage toward Meredith last night. They probably saw the same things we all saw with respect to the Hoyer/Meredith connection and were determined not to let it happen a third time. This is a lesson I seem never to learn. Meredith was never going to have the night most of us expected.
Solid point, and I suspect very accurate.  Packers took away Hoyer's favorite weapon and the guy who was the Bears most consistent receiver. 

Once Hoyer was out it was kind of a moot point. 

Either way, it's hard to imagine Meredith being anywhere near as valuable for ROS as he was with Hoyer. 

Solid point, and I suspect very accurate.  Packers took away Hoyer's favorite weapon and the guy who was the Bears most consistent receiver. 
And this is where a team's lack of offensive ingenuity and inability to adjust as the game goes on gets exposed. If a defense takes away your top or a top weapon you don't just give up, you come up with ways to free that weapon so you can get the ball to him. The Bears never did that with Meredith. I realize they were down to their third-string QB but the play I mentioned earlier was a very simple one they could have used to get the ball to Meredith for a potential big play that gets their big-play WR back in the game and perhaps gets their offense going and potentially gives their new QB some badly needed confidence. Instead they do nothing, Green Bay crushes them and game over. 

I know many NFL folks will laugh at this but I think a lot of fans could could play call just as well. At least the creativity would be more interesting one imagines. Far too many coaches are willing to surrender passively when a defenses gets the upper hand on them. 

Never fails. Some guy I've never heard of has a couple of great games; all signs point to another great game; I pick him up and start him in prime time; he promptly turns back into a pumpkin. Rinse, lather, repeat.
Well stated, Quasimoto. Been the story of my season so far (e.g, Howard).  

What I'm really upset about is the fact I went into this year determined NOT to overspend early in the year in FAAB like I typically do on the flavor of the week guys so I'd have money later in the season when others didn't and I could use it to my advantage. So what do I do? I spent this week on Meredith and it promptly blows up in my face. So now I'm stuck with no FAAB flexibility again. The good news is I have a really strong team and Meredith was my WR4 so he was just a luxury add but should I need to use the Waiver Wire later on in the season I'll have no money to really spend because I went heavy on this guy this week after seeing the production, looking at his remaining schedule (especially this week's game against arguably the worst secondary in the NFL) and seeing the potential production he could bring behind my stud three WRs and getting giddy about what it could all add up to.

This is the lesson I didn't learn from past mistakes and I promptly repeated it again and I'm not happy with myself this morning. All week long I was reading stuff from people I respect talking about how it didn't make sense to hold onto FAAB money at this point in the season. In my gut I was strongly disagreeing with them due to mistakes I had made in the past. But instead of trusting my gut I listened to them and overpaid for Meredith and now I'm f'd.  
I don't think that you should get too hung up on the outcome bias here.  What free agents did you miss out on in the past from being overly cautious?

How many players get 20 receptions and 240 yards over a two-game stretch?  I doubt that too many have been flashes in the pan (drew bennett, of course, but still).  I can't tell how to query a 2-game stretch on PFR or I would look.  The conditions looked pretty good and I don't think it's that easy to get a guy with the potential to put those kind of WR numbers out of nowhere in the middle of the season.

You can't let this one instance cloud your thinking.  

I suppose the possibly error in this case was using the FAAB when you seemingly didn't have to.  If you are in a strong position, don't take the risk.  But don't avoid the risk altogether.

I don't think that you should get too hung up on the outcome bias here.  What free agents did you miss out on in the past from being overly cautious?

How many players get 20 receptions and 240 yards over a two-game stretch?  I doubt that too many have been flashes in the pan (drew bennett, of course, but still).  I can't tell how to query a 2-game stretch on PFR or I would look.  The conditions looked pretty good and I don't think it's that easy to get a guy with the potential to put those kind of WR numbers out of nowhere in the middle of the season.

I suppose the possibly error in this case was using the FAAB when you seemingly didn't have to.  If you are in a strong position, don't take the risk.  But don't avoid the risk altogether.
I don't have the numbers either, but I think the fact that Drew Bennett is still the example that we all remember for this backs up your point that it probably doesn't happen very often.  That was 12 (!) years ago now.

I thought I noticed the Packers rolling coverage toward Meredith last night. They probably saw the same things we all saw with respect to the Hoyer/Meredith connection and were determined not to let it happen a third time. This is a lesson I seem never to learn. Meredith was never going to have the night most of us expected.
yeah, that and Matt Barkley happened, so ... Hoyer would have salvaged at least a decent game in garbage time. Barkley threw two picks and was totally lost.

its all probabilities. Some of the best experts were proj Meredith as a borderline WR1 last night. Just cos you bet on red and it came up black don't beat yourself up as saying it was a bad strategy. Nobody could have predicted the Hoyer injury. Injuries happen, but the strat was sound.

ETA: I feel bad for Hoyer cos hes a gamer. This almost exact thing happened to him when he was throwing up big games for CLE throwing to Josh Gordon. It was a very similar thing to how Meredith was performing with Hoyer. In CLE he got injured in the 3rd game so he lasted one more game this time. He's pretty decent, just a bit too fragile for the NFL

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, that and Matt Barkley happened, so ... Hoyer would have salvaged at least a decent game in garbage time. Barkley threw two picks and was totally lost.
At one point, you could see Barkley take a huge breath and release it as if to say, "Here we go again..."

i'm not going to sidetrack this thread any further but if you'd like you can PM and we can discuss it there. Trust me there's a list of players on my WW who I likely will not have a shot at picking up because of my situation now due to this bid on Meredith. It's exactly the type of move I've made in the past that I wanted to avoid making this year. I really do think that saving money in FAAB for the end of the season has its advantages and it's a mistake I was hoping to avoid. I like to think I'm a good fantasy player for the most part and that's why I'm extremely ticked at myself today for making what I consider a rookie mistake here. I fell for the shiny new toy at the store and it may end up costing me big time. Like I said, the good news is my team is really good but I'm still irked at myself for the mistake I've made. That's why I just wanna get to next Wednesday and FAAB so I can fix it and move on.  

i'm not going to sidetrack this thread any further but if you'd like you can PM and we can discuss it there. Trust me there's a list of players on my WW who I likely will not have a shot at picking up because of my situation now due to this bid on Meredith. It's exactly the type of move I've made in the past that I wanted to avoid making this year. I really do think that saving money in FAAB for the end of the season has its advantages and it's a mistake I was hoping to avoid. I like to think I'm a good fantasy player for the most part and that's why I'm extremely ticked at myself today for making what I consider a rookie mistake here. I fell for the shiny new toy at the store and it may end up costing me big time. Like I said, the good news is my team is really good but I'm still irked at myself for the mistake I've made. That's why I just wanna get to next Wednesday and FAAB so I can fix it and move on.  
That's kinda ridiculous though because this isn't a situation where you picked a guy who didn't live up to the hype. You just picked a guy whose QB got sidelined. 

That has nothing to do with skill or instinct or anything else that you need in FF. It has to do with the one thing you can't control: luck. 

Can't beat yourself up over #### you can't control...

That's kinda ridiculous though because this isn't a situation where you picked a guy who didn't live up to the hype. You just picked a guy whose QB got sidelined. 
Again, though, Meredith wasn't being targeted long before Hoyer got hurt and left the game. Even when Hoyer was playing he wasn't targeting Meredith like he had been the previous two games. Last night's game was not trending the same as the prior two right from the outset. 

Again, though, Meredith wasn't being targeted long before Hoyer got hurt and left the game. Even when Hoyer was playing he wasn't targeting Meredith like he had been the previous two games. Last night's game was not trending the same as the prior two right from the outset. 
Hoyer only 11 attempts. He had 43 and 49 attempts in the previous two games. so about 1/4 and 1/5th the attempts when he went down. There was plenty of time for Meredith connections, especially if they fell behind in garbage time. How many games have gone by where your WR is sitting with 1 catch in the 1st half and he goes off for 20+ points in the 2nd. I wouldn't read to much into 11 attempts.

Hoyer only 11 attempts. He had 43 and 49 attempts in the previous two games. so about 1/4 and 1/5th the attempts when he went down. There was plenty of time for Meredith connections, especially if they fell behind in garbage time. How many games have gone by where your WR is sitting with 1 catch in the 1st half and he goes off for 20+ points in the 2nd. I wouldn't read to much into 11 attempts.
I didn't say there wasn't time for Meredith to still get production. I just said he went an entire half without a single reception and I believe just one target and i'm not even sure if that was a catchable ball. The game wasn't trending positvely for him at all, unlike the prior two. And when you consider how overwhelmingly strong the matchup was I think it's fair to say the results at that time were rather surprising to say the least. 

Hoyer was knocked out early in the 2nd quarter. Again too early to tell or draw any conclusions. 1st quarter teams are just feeling each other out to find the weakness, like how GB found out Devante Adams was way better than that practice squad db. LOL

You and others can say spending over 40% of my remaining FAAB on Meredith wasn't a mistake because there's no way to have known Hoyer was going to get hurt and that messed everything up and I appreciate that. But the fact is I am upset with myself for breaking one of my top rules I vowed not to break going into this year and now I'm stuck in a position I didn't want to be in. 

The only way to fix it is to get to next Wednesday and spend the small amount of FAAB I still have left to find a replacement for a player whose value I now think has fallen off considerably. Until then I'm going to be rather upset at myself although I'm hoping that on Sunday things go so well that the memory of Brandon Meredith's disappointing Thursday night is quickly forgotten. :)

Apologies for sidetracking the thread    

You and others can say spending over 40% of my remaining FAAB on Meredith wasn't a mistake because there's no way to have known Hoyer was going to get hurt and that messed everything up and I appreciate that. But the fact is I am upset with myself for breaking one of my top rules I vowed not to break going into this year and now I'm stuck in a position I didn't want to be in. 

The only way to fix it is to get to next Wednesday and spend the small amount of FAAB I still have left to find a replacement for a player whose value I now think has fallen off considerably. Until then I'm going to be rather upset at myself although I'm hoping that on Sunday things go so well that the memory of Brandon Meredith's disappointing Thursday night is quickly forgotten. :)

Apologies for sidetracking the thread    
So you thought highly enough about a guy after one or two games that you "overpaid" for him and now think he's worthless after one game? Players, especially WRs (even studs like OBJ and Julio) have bad days. 

So you thought highly enough about a guy after one or two games that you "overpaid" for him and now think he's worthless after one game? Players, especially WRs (even studs like OBJ and Julio) have bad days. 
First off, he isn't a stud player like those two. Second he just lost the QB who was providing him with the targets that were directly providing him with the production that was leading to the value he was generating. I think I've outlined the reasons why I believe his value has now fallen off dramatically from where it was prior to last night. Things change quickly in this game, sometimes for the worse. Look at Antonio Brown. His value has declined despite the fact he is the arguably game's best wide receiver. Meredith's value has changed as well. As I said before everyone has to deal with the situation based on their own leagues and rosters etc.

Based on my league format my situation is probably different. There are WRs on the WW who will absolutely be outproducing Meredith going forward in my opinion. The problem I am facing, and this is why I am upset at myself, is I may not have the necessary FAAB money now to get them because I spent so much this week to get Meredith.    

First off, he isn't a stud player like those two. Second he just lost the QB who was providing him with the targets that were directly providing him with the production that was leading to the value he was generating. I think I've outlined the reasons why I believe his value has now fallen off dramatically from where it was prior to last night. Things change quickly in this game, sometimes for the worse. Look at Antonio Brown. His value has declined despite the fact he is the arguably game's best wide receiver. Meredith's value has changed as well. As I said before everyone has to deal with the situation based on their own leagues and rosters etc.

Based on my league format my situation is probably different. There are WRs on the WW who will absolutely be outproducing Meredith going forward in my opinion. The problem I am facing, and this is why I am upset at myself, is I may not have the necessary FAAB money now to get them because I spent so much this week to get Meredith.    
Yeah hence the "even studs like" - but you missed the point on bringing up those two apparently. And maybe it wasn't Hoyer that made him a stud, maybe he's just good and saw heavy targets because of that (or for other reasons). He could have done well when Cutler was playing, but White was starting in his spot then. And guess what? White saw more targets from Cutler than Jeffrey did.

I have no faith in Barkey, but if Cutler's back I'd still have confidence in Meredith seeing heavy targets and producing. My guess is now that Hoyer is hurt, Cutler will be deemed healthy enough to play.

Yeah hence the "even studs like" - but you missed the point on bringing up those two apparently. And maybe it wasn't Hoyer that made him a stud, maybe he's just good and saw heavy targets because of that (or for other reasons). He could have done well when Cutler was playing, but White was starting in his spot then. And guess what? White saw more targets from Cutler than Jeffrey did.

I have no faith in Barkey, but if Cutler's back I'd still have confidence in Meredith seeing heavy targets and producing. My guess is now that Hoyer is hurt, Cutler will be deemed healthy enough to play.
And as I posted with my Kevin White numbers I don't have faith in Cutler's ability to involve the No. 2 WR in this offense which is why Meredith will be back on the WW in my league when FAAB runs next Wednesday night.  

I'm not going to drop Meredith because he had a poor game last night because you're right all WRs throw up stinkers now and again. I'm going to drop him because I don't believe that without Hoyer he's going to be anything more than a low-end WR4 going forward and that isn't the player I invested so heavily in this week. Players like that are a dime a dozen in fantasy leagues and I need more than that if I'm going to win mine. 

I know many NFL folks will laugh at this but I think a lot of fans could could play call just as well. At least the creativity would be more interesting one imagines. Far too many coaches are willing to surrender passively when a defenses gets the upper hand on them. 

No. 

most fans can't recognize/identify coverages and don't know the concepts that counter them.  

No. 

most fans can't recognize/identify coverages and don't know the concepts that counter them.  
True but most fans probably wouldn't put down two scores with 7 minutes to go in the fourth quarter like Bowles did two weeks ago so there's that.    

True but most fans probably wouldn't put down two scores with 7 minutes to go in the fourth quarter like Bowles did two weeks ago so there's that.    
Yea.  They would go for it on 4th and 10 in the first quarter and then disconnect when they failed.  I've played enough Madden over the years to know how Johnny Q Public calls games. 

Yea.  They would go for it on 4th and 10 in the first quarter and then disconnect when they failed.  I've played enough Madden over the years to know how Johnny Q Public calls games. 
I don't play Madden so I can't comment on that. I just know how often NFL head coaches fail at the most simplistic of things that common sense dictates they could easily correct. Something tells me they often make the game more complicated then it needs to be. Maybe John Q. Public couldn't fix all of their many mistakes but I think a good portion of them are a lot easier to fix than they would be willing to admit. 

The average man would crumple under the stress and pressure these guys face.  Pretty easy to say what to do without the responsibility of facing the consequences.  

So how are you guys feeling about Meredith wth Cutler as QB?  I think I feel better about it?

I still like Meredith but he has something to prove now.   Not worried about Cutler,  Meredith had to be benched if it's Barkley again though. 

I feel like we didn't get any information this week with Hoyer going down so early in the game.   I don't think doing poorly against the Vikings says much either so we will have to be patient to get another quality data point...  Unless he dominates Minny... 

I'm going to hold, and see what happens with Cutler under center. My WR's are such crap as it is, got nothing to lose.

Have moves in for our waiver deadline tonight at midnight: 1) Drop Meredith for Golden Tate and if I don't get Tate then 2) Drop Meredith for Josh Lambo.

It's time to let go of the dream.

Not going to play meredith this week. I want to see how he fares with someone not named hoyer and don't want to start him vs Vikes anyway.

Chaka said:
Have moves in for our waiver deadline tonight at midnight: 1) Drop Meredith for Golden Tate and if I don't get Tate then 2) Drop Meredith for Josh Lambo.

It's time to let go of the dream.
Yup. My thoughts haven't changed from last week. My league has tight roster limits so there are better options available in my opinion so I'm gonna make bids for them and hopefully I'll get one of them tonight. Just sucks I spent so much on Meredith last week and now I'm handcuffed in terms of what I can spend to try and replace him. Cutler is definitely a huge upgrade over Barkley obviously but given how little involvement White had in the offense I'm not confident Meredith will do much. Huge bump for Jeffery though so his owners have to be feeling great now. 

Might be worth a hold for another week to see if Jeffery gets traded, aside from seeing what it might be like with Cutler now that Meredith has shown a little something.

Meredith instantly a WR2 with WR1 upside if Jeffery is traded to Iggles...

Not a must-start, but definitely a must-hold.

Gandalf said:
So how are you guys feeling about Meredith wth Cutler as QB?  I think I feel better about it?
I feel good about it. He's a player. This week is a tough matchup however. I wouldn't start him unless I had no good options.

I am keeping him around and is even an option to start this week as a WR3. If Minn D has one weakness its vs stout WRs. I noticed some WR1s have had decent games vs them this year. Now will Meredith or Jeffrey be used as the WR1 this week? Seeing as Cutler is probably going to start (If Matt Barkley starts I will not start Meredith) it will most likely be Jeffery, so looking at other options like Hurns (thu game) and TB Shepherd (Ogletree jr.?).

Anyone heard how the shoulder is doing?  Is he going to play tonight?  He was my fallback after Ty Montgomery was sidelined at the last minute...

Cam is on his way out from my roster, unless he really does something big tonight. Cutler loves Alshon, and I just can't see him putting up the numbers he was before Hoyer got hurt.

Cam is on his way out from my roster, unless he really does something big tonight. Cutler loves Alshon, and I just can't see him putting up the numbers he was before Hoyer got hurt.
If Rhodes shadows Jeffery tonight, Cutler will have to throw Meredith's way.  I wouldn't be surprised if he got into the endzone.

Gruden said that when he watches the Bears film he kept thinking that Meredith was White,  then that Meredith was Jeffery,  then that Meredith has looked the best on film of the three this year.  It is Gruden so he loves everything,  but I guess that does mean he loves Jeffery and White too... 

Any hope for this guy with Jeffery out for four weeks?  2 targets in each of the last three games is ugly. 

Any hope for this guy with Jeffery out for four weeks?  2 targets in each of the last three games is ugly. 
I added him in both leagues / should be a lock for 3-5, 50-70 and maybe a TD. 

Opportunity / volume play - but with some upside. Ball's gotta go somewhere. Cutler likes to sling it around. 

BYE week necessitates making the love at Flex in both leagues.

i'm in! 

Definitely hope.  Cutler has to throw to someone.  I've had Meredith on my bench for awhile.  Thankfully I don't have to start him this week but it could work out fairly well for the next few weeks.  I'd say he's worth a pick up if you can sit him this week and see how it plays out.  If you're desperate this week you could do a lot worse than Meredith.

Very interested to see how he looks with Cutler sans Jeffrey. CM definitely passes eyeball test. I think his performance the next four games might also help Bears make decision on Jeffrey so would make sense to want to feature him and see how he holds up to the WR1 role. 

I'm wondering to what extent CM was actually hurt over the past few weeks. He had hurt his shoulder. Could this be playing a role in his regression over the past few weeks?

Seems like Cutler is spreading the ball around a bit. Even with Zach Miller out, anybody think he'll get more looks than Royal, Bellamy, Wilson? 

It's too bad Meredith didn't get another chance to get a bunch of targets after Hoyer went down.   Any chance Hoyer can come back?  With Barkley it's hopeless. 

Users who are viewing this thread