What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cameron Meredith - WR - NE Patriots (1 Viewer)

Cameron Meredith - WR -  Saints

Cameron Meredith caught 2-of-4 targets for 72 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason finale.

Catch-less through his first two preseason appearances, Meredith finally got on the board with a beautiful 56-yard touchdown. He roasted CB Taurean Nixon to catch a dime from Taysom Hill. One catch is one catch, but it should allay concerns about Meredith's surgically-repaired knee. Of course, it is never a good sign for a veteran to be playing in the final preseason game. Hopefully the Saints just wanted Meredith to get some reps after his touch-and-go summer. Meredith is a zero-risk, moderate-reward final-round flier in fantasy drafts.

Aug 30 - 11:55 PM

Which WR gets the most targets after Thomas? Ginn, Tre'Quan Smith or Meredith?

Both Smith and Meredith played in the last game. But Smith is a rookie and he has plays lights out all pre-season. He's also supposedly a good blocker. 

Will be a slow start to the season as the targets after Thomas are sorted out but I do think Meredith comes out on top. Ginn is solid but always having him on the field won’t do as much as having Meredith or smith. As a Meredith owner I’m hoping he pulls away but everyone will probably be involved enough we’re it won’t matter

Bfrahm3 said:
Will be a slow start to the season as the targets after Thomas are sorted out but I do think Meredith comes out on top. Ginn is solid but always having him on the field won’t do as much as having Meredith or smith. As a Meredith owner I’m hoping he pulls away but everyone will probably be involved enough we’re it won’t matter
Feeling a lot of this, but still predicting Tre'Quan's Smith's targets to end up -- assuming everyone's available for 16 games -- being more than either Ginn's or Meredith's. Meredith had a nice half last night, but he is still behind in preparation -- I doubt he has all the playbook down just yet. It's coming though.

Like Michael Thomas, it's now apparent that Sean Payton is willing to use Meredith in the slot, too. That will help Meredith get on the field once he's caught up.

Ginn is the one whose fantasy production will suffer most compared to 2017. His real-life value to the Saints is still high, but locker-room leadership and smarts don't pay the bills in FFB.

Cameron Meredith played 34-of-79 snaps (43 percent) Week 3 against the Falcons.

It was his first game on the active roster, but that did not stop Meredith from out-snapping Tre'Quan Smith (26) and Austin Carr (13). Despite a touchdown on his only target Sunday, it is questionable how large a role Meredith can carve out behind Michael Thomas and Ted Ginn, but it looks like he is on his way to the No. 3 job. He is a fine speculative add.

Sep 24 - 9:53 AM

Does his outlook improve much/any with Ginn to IR?  Or is the expectation that Smith takes all the benefit?

Does his outlook improve much/any with Ginn to IR?  Or is the expectation that Smith takes all the benefit?
While I just added Smith 1st, I would think it has to benefit both.

Actually thinking about adding Cam as well just to see how it shakes out but I’m having a hard time dropping Fitz. Cam had 5 for 71 last game with Ginn out.

I know the rush is to Smith and yeah he could very well generate a lot of heat on the field, but Meredith will have his games IMO. He runs the seam beautifully and Brees loves that route a ton.

I know the rush is to Smith and yeah he could very well generate a lot of heat on the field, but Meredith will have his games IMO. He runs the seam beautifully and Brees loves that route a ton.
Yea I have one spot that I could give up (would have to drop Jermaine Kearse) and both Meredith and Smith are available. I think it's a crapshoot at this point between those two.

Cameron Meredith was not targeted in the Saints' Week 7 win over the Ravens.

It's a step back for Meredith after he went 5-of-5 for 71 yards in Week 5. Drew Brees' volume has been down during that span — coinciding with Mark Ingram's return — and Tre'Quan Smith has looked like the biggest beneficiary of Ted Ginn's absence. Meredith isn't much of a WR5 for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wasted season.  Seems like he just never got healthy enough to make a difference.  He’s got the makings of a great wth roster stash for dynasty leagues that have IR/long benches.  

Saints WR Cameron Meredith agreed to a $2.1 million pay cut.

Meredith will now make $1.3 million, and the Saints save all $2.1 million against the cap. Signed away from the Bears as a restricted free agent last spring, Meredith was limited to just six games as he struggled to recover from an ACL tear before landing on injured reserve in November. The same knee required a scope after he went to IR, raising some questions about his long-term health. If he is healthy, however, Meredith has some bounce-back appeal in a Drew Brees-led offense.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Mar 21, 2019, 7:16 AM

wgoldsph said:
Does anyone see him approaching the numbers he put up in '16 again in his career? Or is this it?
it's a tough call, i think. Thomas just gets so many targets. Adding a legit catching TE like Cook only hurts Meredith's opportunities. I don't have much confidence in TreQuan right now, much less Kirkwood and the rest of corps. TreQuan didn't seem ready and didn't synch with Brees. Meredith might not have the 4.4 speed after injury and ####ty recovery. I'd like to see what he can do though...

it's a tough call, i think. Thomas just gets so many targets. Adding a legit catching TE like Cook only hurts Meredith's opportunities. I don't have much confidence in TreQuan right now, much less Kirkwood and the rest of corps. TreQuan didn't seem ready and didn't synch with Brees. Meredith might not have the 4.4 speed after injury and ####ty recovery. I'd like to see what he can do though...

Trequan was a rookie.  He had a tall order trying to fit into that offense.  If Meredith is healthy, that allows him to line up outside and run Thomas out of the slot where he is unstoppable.  That could provide Meredith what he needs to re-establish himself.  Great guy to have at the end of your bench just in case he is healthy and fits into that O.

Nah....id rather roll the dice on trequan or kirkwood
Unfortunately, I think he will never get back up to his 16 numbers. That injury really set him back and could have been a career ender if he weren't "lucky" enough to avoid substantial structural damage.

But it is possible for him to get back up there again. This year was his comeback season, so he'll likely be stronger next season, but I think Tre'Quan and Kirkwood get more chances next season, and I think the Saints draft a WR or sign someone else, a la Dez Bryant again. The Saints brought in Jared Cook too, and now Kamara will likely get a bigger share of the RB work, so that will cut into the chances for Meredith.

It's really an unfortunate story. I liked Meredith more than Robby Anderson and possible even Tyrell Wiliams, but the massive injury he had set him back big time. He had worked his tail off to get the opportunity that he was afforded in Chicago, and once he got injured, he had to start from scratch again. Unfortunately, that's typically how it works if you went undrafted.

Saints WR Cameron Meredith (knee) has yet to resume practicing.

Meredith, who barely played last season before his chronic knee issues sent him to injured reserve, took a $2.1 million pay cut in March. "He’s on the sideline, but they say probably next week he can do a little bit more," Saints WRs coach Curtis Johnson said Thursday. "But he looks healthy. He looks good. He looks like he’s coming along well." Meredith's spot on the 53-man roster is far from assured.

SOURCE: New Orleans Times-Picayune

May 23, 2019, 3:28 PM ET

Cameron Meredith (knee) is not participating in Saints minicamp.

Meredith was reportedly "coming along well" in Saints OTAs, but it is obviously concerning that he is still not practicing after another lost season in 2018. At this point, Meredith would seem to be on the outside looking in of a 53-man roster spot.

SOURCE: Sean Fazende on Twitter

Jun 11, 2019, 1:25 PM ET

Cameron Meredith said his absence from the Saints' offseason program was "mostly a matter of being smart."

Meredith confirms he is still battling the knee issue that wrecked each of his past two seasons. Meredith is trying to put a positive spin on a tough situation, but the reality is, he's not going to make the team as things stand right now.

SOURCE: Mike Triplett on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 2:50 PM ET

Saints released WR Cameron Meredith.

Meredith broke out with 66 catches for 888 yards and four touchdowns back in 2016, but an ACL tear the following preseason sent his career spiraling. The Saints took a shot on Meredith with a two-year, $9.6 million offer sheet last year, but the receiver never fully recovered and ended up playing in just six games. Only 26, Meredith should get another shot, but he will need to prove he is healthy.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Herbie Teope on Twitter

Jul 29, 2019, 10:52 AM ET

not entirely surprised by the move. they have plenty of options and waiting for him to get right isn't on their agenda. maybe he latches on with another team as a flyer but i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play another down.

Patriots placed WR Cameron Meredith (knee) on the active/PUP list.

Meredith's knee issues were one of the reasons he was cut from the Saints. The Patriots plan to move him slowly, but he doesn't look like a reserve/PUP candidate, which would cost him the first six games. When healthy, Meredith will push for one of New England's final receiver spots.

Aug 2, 2019, 7:34 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread