What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Weather Guide - Week 6 (1 Viewer)

Pigskin Fanatic

Footballguy
It's that time of the year when weather starts to impact games. I follow the weather forecast that the FBGS post from this website, but forecast is rarely the same as what is actually felt on ground zero. (I don't think the site is affiliated with FBGS and the link is in the subscriber page, so if this is against policy to post, apologies to the crew.) In the past you footballguys who live in the cities have posted updates in game threads and I found that to be much more useful than following a weather site. So, how about some insights on the day of the games if you live in these cities right here on this thread? I'll bump on Sunday morning. TIA.

Rain expected for the following games on Sunday for week 6:

Jax @ Chicago (Saturday update: downgraded to chance of rain at game time)

Pit @ Miami (Sunday morning update: Showers and thunderstorm, wind not a concern)

KC @ Oakland (Saturday update: downgraded to chance of rain at game time)

Atl @ Seattle (Sunday morning update: Summarizing posts below, rain doesn't look to be a factor, winds in the 15-20 range so not terrible, gusts could be an issue)

added Friday: 49ers @ Buffalo (Saturday update: rain showers at game time)

As of now all locations are forecasted to be light rain or drizzle with some heavy wind except in Chicago of all places. Will bump Sunday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle Saturday weather may be absolutely brutal. Forcasting 40-45 foot seas, 2 inches of rain, 50mph winds. Should not be a huge problem Sunday, but who knows what Mother Nature is planning.

Monitor.

SEATTLE - I'm already getting several warnings about this weekends storm here in the Puget Sound. Here s a link to one of the weather bloggers in the area. Many scary words.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2016/10/warming-major-storms-threaten-pacific.html?m=1

"Starting Thursday, we will enter a period of extraordinarily active weather with the potential for heavy rain, flooding, and a highly dangerous windstorm with the potential to be an historic event. "

"A true monster storm, potentially as strong as the most powerful storm in NW history (the Columbus Day Storm of 1962) will be approaching our area on Saturday. "

"Sustained wind over 55 knots."

"If the models are wrong and the storm's track heads further east, Puget Sound could get a very major hit with massive power outages and damage. This is a very dangerous storm."

"With such a storm expect HUGE waves over the eastern Pacific.  Here are the latest forecasts from the NOAA WaveWatch III system for 5 PM Sunday.  Wow.  12-14 meter (40-45 ft!) waves.  If you are near the coast, be very careful--although there should be some great wave watching in safe locations."

This is what I'm talking about! Thanks for posting everyone. Was already concerned about ATL passing game taking a week off against the SEA defense, but that wind makes it even worse. Ugh, as if I wasn't already concerned about Julio. Hopefully it changes as we get closer to Sunday.

The first wave of Seattle storms did not live up to expectations, but big winds expected to hit the area tomorrow night, so the worst of it should miss Sunday kickoff. Probably rain and some wind, nothing abnormal for this time of year.

Anybody got eyes on the Oakland weather?  I just watched some local stuff on it and it seems the worst of it is today and winds and rain should be light if not gone entirely by gametime.  Anybody else hear anything different?

Anybody got eyes on the Oakland weather?  I just watched some local stuff on it and it seems the worst of it is today and winds and rain should be light if not gone entirely by gametime.  Anybody else hear anything different?
I have been watching it closely. Some ominous forecasts came out on Friday but I think you are spot on. You never know with weather though, so it should be monitored.

Seattle Saturday weather may be absolutely brutal. Forcasting 40-45 foot seas, 2 inches of rain, 50mph winds. Should not be a huge problem Sunday, but who knows what Mother Nature is planning.

Monitor.
I just read that it has the potential to be the worst storm in history with typhoon strength. And no, I am not being a smartass here - this is serious stuff. Worse than the 1962 storm that killed 40+ people. And there's 3X the population density there now as there was in 1962. 

I used to live up there and I'm worried about friends & family. 

As for the game, woof - gonna be a rough day for QBs and WRs. 40-50 mph gusts are no joke.  Banner day for RBs. SEA D and ATL D are both solid plays, SEA the no-brainer, but ATL could be a sleeper D/ST this week since sloppy weather can lead to sloppy play - wind creates Ints, mud = fumbles...poor visibility = sacks, etc. 

I just read that it has the potential to be the worst storm in history with typhoon strength. And no, I am not being a smartass here - this is serious stuff. Worse than the 1962 storm that killed 40+ people. And there's 3X the population density there now as there was in 1962. 

As for the game, woof - gonna be a rough day for QBs and WRs. 40-50 mph gusts are no joke.  Banner day for RBs. SEA D and ATL D are both solid plays, SEA the no-brainer, but ATL could be a sleeper D/ST this week since sloppy weather can lead to sloppy play - wind creates Ints, mud = fumbles...poor visibility = sacks, etc. 
I'm not trying to argumentative but if there was a chance of the conditions being that bad you'd think the NFL would be looking into postponing the game. There hasn't been any discussion of that happening which leads me to think the weather isn't going to approach that level of concern.  

All a bunch of weather fluff. Winds supposed to hit Seattle in two hours. Worst of it will be north, expecting 60+ gusts. 

Tomorrow will just be typical wet and windy fall weather. 

Oh, the conditions you mention were forecasted two days ago and never were going to happen on Sunday. 

I'm not trying to argumentative but if there was a chance of the conditions being that bad you'd think the NFL would be looking into postponing the game. There hasn't been any discussion of that happening which leads me to think the weather isn't going to approach that level of concern.  
I'm just telling you what I read today in the news. The 50' waves and 150 mph winds are happening.  But to your point it's making landfall that matters.  Yesterday they (the national weather service) were putting landfall chances at 1 in 3. Today they upped that to 50-50. 

Then it's about where it hits. Who knows what will happen but this is a real thing. 

Don't shoot the messenger. 

All a bunch of weather fluff. Winds supposed to hit Seattle in two hours. Worst of it will be north, expecting 60+ gusts. 

Tomorrow will just be typical wet and windy fall weather. 

Oh, the conditions you mention were forecasted two days ago and never were going to happen on Sunday. 
It came across my newsfeed around noon today. 

If nothing else, 60 mph gusts are atypically wet weather. 

I would still downgrade passing attacks for both teams accordingly.  If you've gotta start matty Ice or Russell Wilson, good luck, but I wouldn't expect great numbers from either. 

I'm just telling you what I read today in the news. The 50' waves and 150 mph winds are happening.  But to your point it's making landfall that matters.  Yesterday they (the national weather service) were putting landfall chances at 1 in 3. Today they upped that to 50-50. 

Then it's about where it hits. Who knows what will happen but this is a real thing. 

I'm not and I appreciate the info. I was just taking issue with what I bolded above. As a Wilson and Haushka owner in different leagues I'm keeping tabs on the game. So far nothing I've seen is leading me to remove either from the lineups I have them in. The last allegedly bad weather game was in Baltimore and that didn't turn out to be as horrific as everyone thought it was going to be. I'm not going to panic about this one right now but again I am keeping an eye on it and I appreciate all the info that people are providing and will continue to provide. 

I'm not and I appreciate the info. I was just taking issue with what I bolded above. As a Wilson and Haushka owner in different leagues I'm keeping tabs on the game. So far nothing I've seen is leading me to remove either from the lineups I have them in. The last allegedly bad weather game was in Baltimore and that didn't turn out to be as horrific as everyone thought it was going to be. I'm not going to panic about this one right now but again I am keeping an eye on it and I appreciate all the info that people are providing and will continue to provide. 
Yeah, I think with weather folks tend to report/prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

Even if this hits land, it's still gotta hit Seattle to really impact the game, but massive gusts could really hurt the passing in this game. Latest report I just checked shows high winds, and rain early in the game with a window between 1:30-3:00, so most of the game might just be windy and not that wet. 

But then, these things are hard to predict to the hour...that's just what it said just now when I looked. Things change fast. 

Ps - as a Julio owner, I'm not thrilled about his chances at a huge game, wind + Richard Sherman could be a tough combo. . 

I live in the area and am going to the game, so I have been paying very close attention. 

The hype has been unreal. Water was sold out THURSDAY and batteries sold out yesterday. 

A bunch of bs hype. Just going to be wind. 

I live in the area and am going to the game, so I have been paying very close attention. 

The hype has been unreal. Water was sold out THURSDAY and batteries sold out yesterday. 

What kind of wind? Anything out of the ordinary?  

Helps the local economy? 

lol

i remember when I lived there everyone was panicking because we had 1/8" of snow on capital hill and people were talking about cars sliding down into each other. 

Naturally nothing stuck and no one crashed that wasn't gonna crash anyway. 

Im glad to hear it's all overblown - saves me a couple phone calls.

its pretty nasty in NorCal right now. Huge gusts of wind and pretty substantial rain. Thank god - 150 more days like this and we'll be 1/3 way back out of the drought. 

Sigh

if it's like this in seattle during the game I still don't expect a huge passing game from either team. 

Winds 14-20mph tomorrow - above normal. 
That doesn't seem to be anything too troubling. I don't start getting worried about kickers and passing games until I hear there will be gusts and/or swirling winds nearing the 30 mph range. If it's in the 15-20 mph range I think that's something the QBs and kickers should be able to handle. 

That doesn't seem to be anything too troubling. I don't start getting worried about kickers and passing games until I hear there will be gusts and/or swirling winds nearing the 30 mph range. If it's in the 15-20 mph range I think that's something the QBs and kickers should be able to handle. 
It's the gusts that are the concern. 15-20 is likely steady. 

Per 710's website (KJR?) here's sussell wilson commenting on how wind effects his game:

“Wind’s always a factor, for sure,” quarterback Russell Wilson said this week when asked about playing in inclement weather. “Rain and stuff like that is not as much as a factor, unless it’s just hailing like I think it was against the Saints in the playoff game.”

The weather was indeed crummy during that divisional-round playoff game against New Orleans in January of 2014. Wilson completed nine of 18 attempts for 103 yards in the Seahawks’ 23-15 victory while wearing a glove on his left, non-throwing hand. He called that – and not the sub-zero temperatures last January in Minneapolis – the worst weather he’s ever played in.

“That was pretty bad,” he said. “I don’t think rain is really a factor; it’s more just the winds. You always have to know how to play that. We’ll see what it is on Sunday.”

Here's a weather update from 2 hours ago that paints a less than rosy picture: 
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/15/us/pacific-northwest-wind-storm/

"Damaging winds will still be possible across the Seattle metro region, but will experience gusts between 50 to 60 miles per hour," aid CNN Meteorologist Derek Van Dam. 
Storms were expected to hit when the Seattle Seahawks play the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday afternoon.
To the south, winds of 45 mph were reported in the Sacramento Valley in California and high gusts were reported as far south as Las Vegas, Nevada.

In my experience 50-60 mph gusts can make for not awesome passing stats

I've looked at five different Seattle forecasts for Sunday. I haven't seen a single one that is forecasting winds in excess of 20 mph. So far everything I'm reading is saying the severe weather is expected to die down tonight and nothing significant is expected during the game tomorrow. Maybe some rain and breezy temps but nothing that looks like anything experienced players like Wilson, Ryan, Hauschka and Ryan shouldn't be able to handle in my opinion. Based on what I'm reading I wouldn't consider downgrading the Seattle/Atlanta passing or kicking games.due to weather concerns as of right now. We'll see what tomorrow brings.  

Just my two cents. Obviously everyone should handle their lineups how they see fit. 

I've looked at five different Seattle forecasts for Sunday. I haven't seen a single one that is forecasting winds in excess of 20 mph. So far everything I'm reading is saying the severe weather is expected to die down tonight and nothing significant is expected during the game tomorrow. Maybe some rain and breezy temps but nothing that looks like anything experienced players like Wilson, Ryan, Hauschka and Ryan shouldn't be able to handle in my opinion. Based on what I'm reading I wouldn't consider downgrading the Seattle/Atlanta passing or kicking games.due to weather concerns as of right now. We'll see what tomorrow brings.  

Just my two cents. Obviously everyone should handle their lineups how they see fit. 
Agreed, no forecast is saying that at all. Just saw the forecast on tv, mid 50's some sun, some rain, some wind. Normal weather.

Nothing to see here!

Except for the 40-50 mph gusts hat I posted a link to. Otherwise there's nothing at all to see here. I mean, it's just CNN. They're wrong a lot. 

Except for the 40-50 mph gusts hat I posted a link to. Otherwise there's nothing at all to see here. I mean, it's just CNN. They're wrong a lot. 
Well, I guess we find out tomorrow. I trust the local over the national every time. No need to bicker about this anymore

Truth be told, they are wrong a lot, especially on weather. They love to over report storms, it's always wrath of God life ending. Then it turns out to be partly cloudy.

Well, I guess we find out tomorrow. I trust the local over the national every time. No need to bicker about this anymore
I agree - I'm not sure why anyone would bicker over this - I posted a link to weather that says gusts between 40-50 mph, and you responded, "no forecast is saying that at all".  

I'm also on the west coast - it's pretty gusty here too (up to 30 mph right now) and raining like hell. I have to go stand in it today. :(  

At this point the latest (local Seattle) forecast has now changed for the worse - that window of dry weather from 1-3 has been changed to thunderstorms with no break in the rain. KOMO in Seattle says it'll be a breezy day with gusts but doesn't specify what they expect, just that it's not as bad as feared. 

Good luck at the stadium today - dress warm and be safe out there. Maybe you can live broadcast the weather for us from ground zero an hour before game time so we know how the passing game might be impacted.  Both my opponent and I have players in this matchup so I'm following it closely. 

Weather in Seattle does look problematic however I gotta say CNN is the king of hype.

I am surprised they haven't labeled the Seattle forecast WINDAGEDDON2016!!!1211!@!!@!XPLODE!!!11@!q1

Well, it's shockingly a dry (foggy/dark) morning here in San Rafael, CA...calm winds.

heres hoping for nice weather in Seattle. Or at least not huge gusts of wind. 

Signed, Julio owner

BIg wind storm wasn't nearly as bad as predicted here in the northwest. Lots of predictions about everyone losing power didn't come to fruition. We had some strong winds last night, but nothing too bad. 

Game time weather in Seattle: https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USWA0395:1:US

Looks like some rain. It indicates possible thunderstorms, but those are super rare here. 

Miami weather: Intermittent showers lasting 5-10 minutes driven by winds from the east of about 15 mph. Winds shouldn't be a factor in the stadium, except during the showers.

Again; it's not the average wind that hurts, it's gusty weather that matters. 

I'm waiting to hear from our weather man on the scene @ex-ghost to see if it's gusty out. Hopefully he'll update by gametime. 
You've gotten several forecasts, including ones from him that are telling you the winds aren't expected to be excessive today. Not sure what more you want. Could things change? Of course but so far nothing is expected to be severe in Seattle. You're worried about Julio, I get it, but everything is looking like it's going to be fine from a weather perspective. The concerns for Julio are all about Richard Sherman and the Seattle D, not the weather right now :)

packersfan said:
You've gotten several forecasts, including ones from him that are telling you the winds aren't expected to be excessive today. Not sure what more you want. Could things change? Of course but so far nothing is expected to be severe in Seattle. You're worried about Julio, I get it, but everything is looking like it's going to be fine from a weather perspective. The concerns for Julio are all about Richard Sherman and the Seattle D, not the weather right now :)
The gusts man! It's all about the gusts!! Wind is wind and gusts are gusts!  :wall:

(at this point I'm also exaggerating a little because it's cracking me up, but there actually is a difference.)

also I like when you respond because Scarlett boobs. At least I think that's Scarlett.

Users who are viewing this thread