What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Russia/Putin preparing for Global Nuclear War (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
It's all over Google and largely uncovered here in the States. Putin called in all Russian but fficials overseas to head back to their fatherland.

Vice did a great job of showing the issues here a couple years ago with the US NATO defense system which sits on the Russian border. 

Does anyone take them seriously? Why should Americans not take Russia and Putin seriously? They have an arsenal of nukes and technically have more in strategic position than we do. America is so caught up in a stomach churning election they seem to have lost sight of what is happening right now.

Your thoughts if any?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's saber rattling, but It's a scary time.  This has been a slow march for a while.  We need to get out of Syria.  

Having a candidate for president openly accuse Russia of trying to fix our election is reckless   If it's true, you better have proof because that is an act of war  if it's false, and you know it then you have no business running for the Oval Office.

I think it's saber rattling, but It's a scary time.  This has been a slow march for a while.  We need to get out of Syria.  

Having a candidate for president openly accuse Russia of trying to fix our election is reckless   If it's true, you better have proof because that is an act of war  if it's false, and you know it then you have no business running for the Oval Office.
You mean HRC? I thought Trump asked for Russian help in code during the primary or very shortly there after?

This doesn't mean what you think it does.

Hillary is so grateful for this opportunity. Now she has somewhere of her own to drag us into war when she gets in office.

Seriousness of the potential outcomes, obviously you have to take the issue seriously.  Possibility of war, Putin land grabbing and increasing Russia's influence in the world, etc.

There may also be some other reasons it is going on besides actually heading for a war. Putin is facing an election, with some bleak problems facing the Russian economy, and so saber rattling is one way to focus attention away among his own people. He also reportedly blames the US for protests he faced a half dozen years ago, and their attempts to interfere in our election this year and get Trump elected may be retaliation for that. Though of course that can also lead to events worsening the situation.

I really hope they aren't so brazen as to try to actually hack the election process further during the voting itself, beyond what they've done with info leaks already.

It's all over Google and largely uncovered here in the States. Putin called in all Russian but fficials overseas to head back to their fatherland.

Vice did a great job of showing the issues here a couple years ago with the US NATO defense system which sits on the Russian border. 

Does anyone take them seriously? Why should Americans not take Russia and Putin seriously? They have an arsenal of nukes and technically have more in strategic position than we do. America is so caught up in a stomach churning election they seem to have lost sight of what is happening right now.

Your thoughts if any?
Fwiw this has already been posted on in 2 different threads if anyone wants more info. One is the Ukrainian War thread.

Seriousness of the potential outcomes, obviously you have to take the issue seriously.  Possibility of war, Putin land grabbing and increasing Russia's influence in the world, etc.

There may also be some other reasons it is going on besides actually heading for a war. Putin is facing an election, with some bleak problems facing the Russian economy, and so saber rattling is one way to focus attention away among his own people. He also reportedly blames the US for protests he faced a half dozen years ago, and their attempts to interfere in our election this year and get Trump elected may be retaliation for that. Though of course that can also lead to events worsening the situation.

I really hope they aren't so brazen as to try to actually hack the election process further during the voting itself, beyond what they've done with info leaks already.
I probably missed this, but was this proven? 

In the movie theatre of the world....Putin is opening a can of tuna.  I hope we have the foresight to realize that he's just hungry, not trying to deliberately stink up the place and we respond with tact. 

All depends on the narrative...when it fits the narrative it is settled science immediately...when it doesn't it's a conspiracy...
When I say nothing points to any proof, I mean the articles I read didnt even offer any proof.  :shrug:

The idea of this was openly mocked in 2012...
Not exactly. Romney was mocked for calling Russia a geopolitical threat, not for claiming that Russia is preparing for nuclear war. No sane person would make the latter claim, which IS worthy of mockery. 

When I say nothing points to any proof, I mean the articles I read didnt even offer any proof.  :shrug:
I hear ya...my point (like yours) is this is now looked at as definitive by some...who knows if it is or not but it is a useful political tool and has been allowed by many in the media to be used as such...the amount of hypocrisy and double standards currently in our country is f'n disgusting...and it goes on on both sides of the aisle...

Your thoughts if any?
I don't take YOU seriously. 

As for Russia having their nukes in "a more strategic position" than ours: if Russia fires nuclear weapons against the United States, we will fire nuclear weapons at Russia. Both nations will be destroyed. That's the beginning and the end of the strategy. There are no tactics. 

The DNC evidence:

The evidence

The tactics of the hack resembled traits of two Russian intelligence groups, dubbed APT28 and APT29, also known as Fancy Bear and Cozy Bear, according to cybersecurity experts who examined the hack.

Following the hackers’ breadcrumb trail, cybersecurity experts have posited that Guccifer 2.0 (not to be confused with the original Guccifer, who is a known lone hacker) is not really an independent hacker. Rather, he is a Russian government decoy to deflect attention from the DNC breach.

The U.S. government is not ready to publicly name the suspected perpetrators behind the DNC hack, but the New York Times has reported that intelligence agencies have "high confidence" regarding the Russian government’s involvement.

Translation: The agencies have likely corroborated the technical evidence with other intelligence, like human or financial sources, said Susan Hennessey, a Brookings Institution fellow and a former lawyer for the National Security Agency.

As of yet, there’s no evidence anyone other than Russia breached the DNC. So unless someone hacked the Russian agencies, the Russian government is likely WikiLeaks’ source, Hennessey said. Additionally, Assange and the Russian government have a well-documented relationship, for example the fact that Assange has hosted a television show on RT, a state-owned network.

"Added together, the most logical inference is that the Russians gave the documents to Wikileaks," Hennessey said. "Circumstantial, yes, but strong enough to be the operating assumption for the intelligence community."
Older article, as we have by now formally blamed Russia for the DNC and other election-related hacks.

Not exactly. Romney was mocked for calling Russia a geopolitical threat, not for claiming that Russia is preparing for nuclear war. No sane person would make the latter claim, which IS worthy of mockery. 
Yes, seriously...you know what I meant...he was mocked for thinking Russia was a serious threat...I know being a Hillary defender means using the English language to your advantage but I think we can connect some dots here...

Also if you follow some of the links in the above, you'll find there were independent cybersecurity firms investigating and coming to these conclusions. One mentions three separate firms coming to the same conclusion about one of the Russian groups. So characterizing it as just "DNC talking points memos" would be off.

Why would Putin give up his cushy gig?  He has the best women, food, drink, etc.  Methinks nuclear war will put a damper on all that.

Russia cannot come out of a global nuclear war without being destroyed -- same as anywhere else. It is impossible for a nuclear power to win a nuclear war and be the last country standing, with global natural resource logistics, world trade, etc. intact.

Yes, seriously...you know what I meant...he was mocked for thinking Russia was a serious threat...I know being a Hillary defender means using the English language to your advantage but I think we can connect some dots here...
I'm not really criticizing you Boston. I think your point was very valid. Even though I supported Romney and voted for him I was dismissive of his remarks in 2012 (like Obama) and I should not have been. He was right. 

I'm criticizing the title of this thread. Russia is not preparing for nuclear war. It's an absurd notion. 

In any case, it seems he was correct. 

I'm not really criticizing you Boston. I think your point was very valid. Even though I supported Romney and voted for him I was dismissive of his remarks in 2012 (like Obama) and I should not have been. He was right. 

I'm criticizing the title of this thread. Russia is not preparing for nuclear war. It's an absurd notion. 
OK...

Your thoughts if any?
My thoughts are that you are a quivering coward, desperate for a reason to justify voting Trump.

A lunatic Russion official threatened nuclear war if we don't elect Trump. But they don't dare tamper with our election. And somehow, this makes you think Trump is good for America, probably.

Also, Russia denied calling officials overseas back home. Nice touch referring to it as "fatherland".

You really couldn't come off as more out of touch, old and delusional.

eoMMan said:
Maybe HRC can go over there and seduce him? Maybe change his mind?
If I'm Putin I'd have to be under the threat of being suicided to bang Hillary before any of his thousand college aged Russian broads.

Pretty scary that the GOP nominee for President is repeating Russian propaganda verbatim at his campaign speeches.

Seriously. 

That's messed up.

eoMMan said:
Maybe HRC can go over there and seduce him? Maybe change his mind?
Weak effort.  And stinky bait. The reason Putin's orange puppet is up at 3 AM tweeting is he's waiting for his master's bidding. 

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/09/vladimir-putin-donald-trump-493946.html

"In other words, Trump is merely a useful stooge in the Kremlin’s grand design to encourage NATO disunity, U.S. isolationism and the breakup of Europe. In practice, all the effort of Russian-sponsored hackers, think tankers and propaganda channels is unlikely to have much real effect and on balance have probably harmed Trump’s chances of getting into the White House. But the effort is real. As Kross put it, “Russia is effectively using our democracies and our systems of rule of law against us…. America, welcome to the war.”

Ministry of Pain said:

Your thoughts if any?
Yes, #### Russia.  We survived the 80's so I'm certainly not going to be afraid of a pansy ### Putin who has to hide all of his hacking efforts behind Wikileaks. 

Weak effort.  And stinky bait. The reason Putin's orange puppet is up at 3 AM tweeting is he's waiting for his master's bidding. 

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/09/vladimir-putin-donald-trump-493946.html

"In other words, Trump is merely a useful stooge in the Kremlin’s grand design to encourage NATO disunity, U.S. isolationism and the breakup of Europe. In practice, all the effort of Russian-sponsored hackers, think tankers and propaganda channels is unlikely to have much real effect and on balance have probably harmed Trump’s chances of getting into the White House. But the effort is real. As Kross put it, “Russia is effectively using our democracies and our systems of rule of law against us…. America, welcome to the war.”
Yeah, when it's 3 AM in New York it's, like, Thursday over there.

A nuclear war with Russia is probably about the thousandth item on my list of global concerns.  They have a very good understanding of Mutually-Assured Destruction and Putin may be aggressive but he's not a fool.

Users who are viewing this thread