What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish Trade Question (1 Viewer)

Dirk Digler

Footballguy
Let me start by saying I'm a long time commish/player and I do NOT believe in a commish projecting their own value opinions into trades. A commish should only intervene in a trade where the situation is blatant, highly questionable, or collusion is suspected.

Let me explain why I need some opinion of this...

Im the commish, this is a work league. Many of the owners are new to fantasy football or just arent that informed.

Standard PPR, 12 team.

Owner 1 is informed, and has skills (3-2 record).

Owner 2 is a nOOB, has no clue, and isn't engaged. 0-5, auto drafted team. This owner dropped two of his first 3 draft picks the day after the draft because he didn't like the teams they played for (I put them back on his roster)

Owner one initiates a trade with owner 2.

Owner 1 GIVES:

Tom Brady / Antonio Gates

Owner 2 GIVES:

Aaron Rodgers / Greg Olsen

I need some objective opinions here. What do you do

Let me start by saying I'm a long time commish/player and I do NOT believe in a commish projecting their own value opinions into trades. A commish should only intervene in a trade where the situation is blatant, highly questionable, or collusion is suspected.

Im the commish, this is a work league. Many of the owners are new to fantasy football or just arent that informed.

Standard PPR, 12 team.

Owner 2 is a nOOB, has no clue, and isn't engaged. 0-5, auto drafted team. This owner dropped two of his first 3 draft picks the day after the draft because he didn't like the teams they played for (I put them back on his roster)

Owner 1 GIVES:

Owner 2 GIVES:

Ummmmm......nothing.

whats the problem? I dont get it

Aaron Rodgers & Todd Gurley were traded for Cam Newton in our league after week 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the part where ya explain its "PPR".. However, The part where you assume owner 1 is informed and skilled is a close 2nd!

Think ya need to change your bait!  Tell us what you been plotting?

lol...hover commissioner.

Do nothing. There's nothing wrong with that trade. Then immediately disband this cupcake league.

lol...hover commissioner.

Do nothing. There's nothing wrong with that trade. Then immediately disband this cupcake league.
Rodgers has had one good quarter this season and was pretty bad last year as well.

I agree there is nothing at all wrong with that trade (maybe it slightly favors Rodgers/Olsen - but Brady alone could potentially make that side the winner). I was expecting some crazy lopsided trade after all that build up.

I like the part where ya explain its "PPR".. However, The part where you assume owner 1 is informed and skilled is a close 2nd!

Think ya need to change your bait!  Tell us what you been plotting?
??? - PPR could effect value. TD heavy leagues, Gates may have a higher perceived value.

Assume? I work with these people and talk to them daily - One is fanatical about FF, the other has never played and doesnt care.

Plotting? Bait? I'm at a total loss?. I could care less about anything other than not allowing the competitive balance of the league to be effected . This is a cash league. By my perception Brady V. Rodgers is a wash... Gates for Olsen seems like an epic robbery. Given the picture I painted, asking for opinions seemed like the best course of action.

I haven't been here for a couple years, This place has changed. 

??? - PPR could effect value. TD heavy leagues, Gates may have a higher perceived value.

Assume? I work with these people and talk to them daily - One is fanatical about FF, the other has never played and doesnt care.

Plotting? I'm at a total loss?. I could care less about anything other than not allowing the competitive balance of the league to be effected . This is a cash league. By my perception Brady V. Rodgers is a wash... Gates for Olsen seems like an epic robbery. Given the picture I painted, asking for opinions seemed like the best course of action.

You seem to be offended by the responses rather than listening to them.  Nothing wrong with that deal, and much better than I would expect from Owner 2 given your post.  Add in that it's a work league and there's no reason or basis to do anything here.

You note that " A commish should only intervene in a trade where the situation is blatant, highly questionable, or collusion is suspected. "  Which one is it for you?  I don't think that perceived value along is enough to unwind this deal.

You seem to be offended by the responses rather than listening to them.  Nothing wrong with that deal, and much better than I would expect from Owner 2 given your post.  Add in that it's a work league and there's no reason or basis to do anything here.

You note that " A commish should only intervene in a trade where the situation is blatant, highly questionable, or collusion is suspected. "  Which one is it for you?  I don't think that perceived value along is enough to unwind this deal.
This. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this deal whatsoever . And to be perfectly honest, I might rather have the Brady + Gates side considering how well Brady looks.

By my perception Brady V. Rodgers is a wash...
But then you are inserting your subjective view into the deal. I "hate" Brady as much as anyone can, but I see Brady v. Rodgers (for the rest of this season) as a clear win for Brady. Olsen v. Gates may not be quite the mismatch you think it is as Gates gets healthy. Rivers will do everything he can to get Gates that TD records before season's end.

Surprised to be accused of plotting, baiting or hovering and questioned on how I know the skill levels of people in a work league can put someone slightly off balance. I felt like the question was legit and came here seeking opinions from non bias, equally informed FF'ers.

Dont get me wrong, I am listening to the non trolling opinions and appreciate them.

This.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this deal whatsoever . And to be perfectly honest, I might rather have the Brady + Gates side considering how well Brady looks.
This x2. As mentioned earlier, You're "hovering". There may be a better term for this, but it looks like you're trying to maintain a degree of parity by micro managing the lesser plugged in team. The owner you perceive to be getting rooked paid his money and needs to take his lumps. As long as it isn't collusion or a fire sale (not the case here) then you have to let it ride. Whether it's somewhat lopsided or not. And you had no business putting guys back on his roster that he dropped, regardless of his rationale. He paid his money, he can run the team how he wants. If he wants all Cleveland Browns because he's a Homer, too bad. Send him a link to an easy peasy who's the better player web site and say "Hey check this out, these guys are really helpful determining which guys are the better players". If he ignores it and opts to do his team differently, as long as it's within the rules, but out.

Owner 1 GIVES:

Owner 2 GIVES:

While you may not do the trade, it's not blatantly lopsided. Brady > Rodgers. Olsen > Gates. I wouldn't give Rodgers & Olsen for Brady & Gates, but it doesn't mean that the trade shouldn't go through. Let it pass.

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback, I appreciate it.

I do disagree with the opinion on his post draft dumps though. He auto drafted and then dumped Carlos Hyde and Eddie Lacy a few minutes after the draft because he didnt like the teams they play for. Obviously the teams with 1 and 2 priority (I was one of them, BTW) were getting an unfair advantage based on the actions of a owner who's never played. I told him he could trade him for players he did like, or dump them later.

While you may not do the trade, it's not blatantly lopsided. Brady > Rodgers. Olsen > Gates. I wouldn't give Rodgers & Olsen for Brady & Gates, but it doesn't mean that the trade shouldn't go through. Let it pass.
Absolutely.

Jordy is averaging 11 YPC, Cobb and Lacy are hurting/not what we might have thought they were, TE is non-existent. If the Pats are clicking, it is not inconceivable Brady could have a 6-7 point differential in a 4 point TD league. I don't expect much from Gates going forward giving how well Hunter is playing, but how big of an advantage is Olsen over other TEs? It's certainly not going to end up being a Gronk like advantage. TE matters the least out of the 4 positions/7-8 starters of FF.

Let it through. Always, unless you have evidence of collusion. Let people make their own mistakes. Half the time you think a trade is lopsided it is - bt in the opposite direction you would have predicted. 

Commish of a work league...nothing wrong with this trade.

I would work on either:

a. Educating the new person onto how to play the game.

b. replace this person next season with someone who at least plays the game.

Replacing the newb is harder if that person is in a position of authority.

I do disagree with the opinion on his post draft dumps though. He auto drafted and then dumped Carlos Hyde and Eddie Lacy a few minutes after the draft because he didnt like the teams they play for. Obviously the teams with 1 and 2 priority (I was one of them, BTW) were getting an unfair advantage based on the actions of a owner who's never played. I told him he could trade him for players he did like, or dump them later.
This was the right thing to do for the league.

No need to be a ####.  He's just asking for advice. 
And I'm giving him my honest advice.  No need for you to be a #### because you don't agree with it.

As someone who serves as Commish of one league and has been playing this game for a long time some of the questions that people have just baffle my mind.

IMHO if he thinks there is something that needs to be done in this situation then maybe he's not suited to be a Commish.  

This is the key. In a work league, you teach the new guy.
Yup...I'm in IT so a lot of the people I work with were not born in America. I've introduced them to the great game of American Football through FF and now I am invited to more SuperBowl parties with Vegetarian Chili and Baba Ghanoush than I can even accept.

I'm not sure if your work situation is the same, but helping acclimate someone into what becomes THE talk among co-workers for every day from September to January is a good deed.

Also, you get invited into Cricket Fantasy Leagues :)

And I'm giving him my honest advice.  No need for you to be a #### because you don't agree with it.

As someone who serves as Commish of one league and has been playing this game for a long time some of the questions that people have just baffle my mind.

IMHO if he thinks there is something that needs to be done in this situation then maybe he's not suited to be a Commish.  
Nothing wrong with giving your honest opinion but it would come across better with a little tact...that's all.  Have a nice day.

Plotting? Bait? I'm at a total loss?. I could care less about anything other than not allowing the competitive balance of the league to be effected . This is a cash league. By my perception Brady V. Rodgers is a wash... Gates for Olsen seems like an epic robbery. Given the picture I painted, asking for opinions seemed like the best course of action.

The "expert" gave up Tom terrific to land a prize TE, which he failed miserably at acquiring in the draft.. 

Heres a CBS blurb talking up ARod :unsure:   http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/this-is-the-alternate-universe-where-brian-hoyer-has-outplayed-aaron-rodgers/

Honestly though I dont believe you had any business considering any action on this trade.. I appreciate ya not being around, so not quite up to speed on player value (PPR or not).. But, to unload a player sometimes it takes a little extra grease..(ya should know this)

Next year, make it clear when collecting money!  Only intervening Never, unless its obvious collusion

ahahaha... honest advice? Is that what you call that? 

You may not agree, but IMHO if you think there is someone that needs a passive aggressive insult in this situation then maybe you're a ########... seriously. 

Guys remember.. I did NOT take action, speak to the owners or share my concerns with ANYONE in the league, I came here to get perspective and discuss thoughts. I wanted to make the right / fair decision, even if that was NO decision / action.

I remembered this community being very valuable for perspective, and why I posted to the tank.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. 

Best Regards

Think ya shoulda/coulda ended with  "Anything to see here/talk about?"  OR  Im not planning to do a thing!   Should !?   OR  I may be overvaluing a QB/TE   In all honesty, I appreciate your posting.   A good comish can help a guy, save him from his own demise.  However, trading is part of the sport!  A good trade can make a bad Sunday go away quickly (maybe a few Sundays)  Bump this post during your first week of playoffs!  I believe without a doubt that your expert got fleeced!

ahahaha... honest advice? Is that what you call that? 

You may not agree, but IMHO if you think there is someone that needs a passive aggressive insult in this situation then maybe you're a ########... seriously. 

Guys remember.. I did NOT take action, speak to the owners or share my concerns with ANYONE in the league, I came here to get perspective and discuss thoughts. I wanted to make the right / fair decision, even if that was NO decision / action.

I remembered this community being very valuable for perspective, and why I posted to the tank.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. 

Best Regards
You asked for opinions.  I gave one.

The fact that you felt the need to even solicit other people's opinions on this suggest to me that you are beyond your depth as a FF commissioner.  Again, just my opinion.  And nothing passive aggressive about it.

If you and others feel the need to name call in response to that then so be it.  My panties arent the ones in a bunch here.  Maybe because I don't wear them.  (Now that could be considered passive aggressive).  Take it as you will.

Good day, Sir.

Standard PPR, 12 team.

Owner 1 GIVES:

Owner 2 GIVES:

Start this thread in the Assistant Coach Forum?

Standard PPR, 12 team.

Owner 1 GIVES:

Owner 2 GIVES:

Your only action should be to push the trade through.

That's a bigger problem than the trade by far.  That gave whoever had first claim on the waiver wire an advantage they didn't deserve.

You asked for opinions.  I gave one.

The fact that you felt the need to even solicit other people's opinions on this suggest to me that you are beyond your depth as a FF commissioner.  Again, just my opinion.  
Not jumping into y'alls i-fite here, but remember, just like fantasy football coaches, Commisioner's job is an ever learning process too. We all started somewhere.

Some responses to veto threads Ive collected

"I veto this thread

I'm trying to figure out who won... but once I do I'm vetoing that sh!t.          

If your league allows vetos, then all trades should be vetoed.

Go to team A's house and punch him in'the face in front of his wife and kids
Issue resolved          

Yes. Veto any trade that doesnt help your team. Then offer one of those owners a really lopsided deal hoping they accept. Once they do come back here to cry about your trade being vetoed.

Definitely veto. One team got 3 players and the other only got two. Way too lopsided"

Sorry for being unhelpful but its my goto move

"He auto drafted and then dumped Carlos Hyde and Eddie Lacy a few minutes after the draft"

and then the problems began

I really want to say that a Commish needs to enjoy the journey, more than Winning the League..  Commish job isnt easy, and it probably involves more time, than some would think.  It is posts like this, that allow those entertaining the thought of hosting a League the opportunity to realize it may not be as simple as one might believe..

Incidentally, theres another recent post dealing with dumping good players for Bye weeks.  Its probably a good read, if ya have ambition to commish :bow:

Dirk Digler said:

Now its quite obvious that you didnt feel mixed emotions, because ya didnt pickup one of either Hyde or Lacy on the wire, during the first week of the Season..  :shark:   However, its not something to post if your hoping for unbiased feedback..  Others, may want to chastise ya for not sitting down with the noob, once ya found out his "highly drafted QB" plays for a scrub team (team he dont like).  Incidentally, next Season ya may want to make sure you have a solid cut-off date for trades.  ie. IF a team cant make playoff's, he cant better his team (read: Collusion) 0-5 may not be out of it..  But its getting closer, Im sure of that!

Basically its all process, that involves learning from occurrences/experiences..  Heres what I hope ya at least consider!  Theres nothing wrong with letting someone fail, because it provides the opportunity to learn..  I believe experience is king, mainly because most everyone is full of sdft!  It might be cool to even tell the guy: "Woohoo unloaded the packer scrub, and got a QB with a real Coach".  But what ya need to think about involves the explanation of the need to value individual players apart from their team.   Explain that its quite common for FF guys to say the Packers suk, but Id love to own Rodgers! (Lacy, whatever)

Im trying to be nice  I want to be nice  I like to be nice   BUT  You seriously have to explain how you think, you expect to have a competitive League where dropping star players to the wire is allowed.  Im rereading your post, in hopes of really tying down some good info, for a commish who wants to learn some basic commsh 101..  What do I see?   Not only info on how to manage a team that is paid for, but an explanation saying its okay to drop STUDS ?

So anyway..  No, its not okay to veto trades, because you think you can predict NFL games/players.  Yes, you can post in here asking for thoughts on trades and such..  You really should be posting for most anything that happens in your League, because it appears that there could be more than one person at fault!  I must admit that I cant fix your League, but I do have faith in some of the folks who do post regularly in the Shark Pool..  

My apologies for assuming you were fishing for :bs: More importantly, my apologies if Im just reading way too much into your post..  I imagine you could be jesting on such things as leading a noob to believe its okay to drop Hyde at some point?   (It should also be pointed out that Im wrong alot too.)

p.s.  Really?   It is bad to drop a stud during the first week, but its acceptable once we get closer to playoffs?  I think ya need a Co-commish.  :moneybag:   However ya need to step-up, and take the heat for choices both good and bad..  ie. Dont be pointing the finger at your assistant, because he caved on something that was your whim.. 

Standard PPR, 12 team.

Owner 1 GIVES:

Owner 2 GIVES:

You reread the first paragraph you typed and then ask yourself, "Self, do I really believe this?"

And then you answer yourself, "Self, no I don't. Otherwise I wouldn't type things like this:

By my perception Brady V. Rodgers is a wash... Gates for Olsen seems like an epic robbery.

Clearly Brady and Rodgers are a wash. Good thing you didn't meddle. Could've screwed the guy getting Brady.

The trade itself is a non-starter.  There is obviously no collusion going on so there is nothing to be done. 

I think the biggest issue here is that the 0-5 team doesn't care about his team or trying to improve it or learn the game.  Based on your description he is completely disconnected and doesn't care to learn or improve.   I have commished a work league for many years and every year there are new owners that have no clue what they are doing.  I help them as much as they want by answering any questions they have.  This could be trade advice, waiver advice, strategy advice or whatever they may need.  The purpose is to get them engaged and into participating and having fun with the rest of the workplace involved in the league.  I make it known to all participants that as a commish I am there to help them learn what they are doing.  Sometimes this advice hurts my team because I don't get the waiver pickup because they ask if they should get the guy or something similar.   The hope of the commish is to have a competitive league where everyone comes away having fun and wants to come back next year. 

Your issue seems to be the 0-5 team really doesn't care to be involved not the trade he made.

Users who are viewing this thread