What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Visiting In-Law/SO's Family (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
Okay, kid is grown so it does not factor into discussion for me.   I lived away from home since I was 18 (1988).  Since then I almost always lived away from home.   Both my parents have passed but I still have 2 sisters, their families, cousins where I grew up.  Brother moved away too.   I don't visit them much at all but we talk monthly if not weekly.  

Wife and almost all her family lived in the same area their whole life.  I was brought to my attention by my wife that her family doesn't think I like them because I don't visit (Married since 1999).   I do like them but we don't have much in common.  The entire family about 30 people get together every Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.   Very PG-13 outings, no drinking but good food.  

How often should I be going?   We help support my MIL (200 a month) and wife visits her every week.   I used to visit a couple times a year other than the holidays but recently I probably been mostly on the holidays.  How often should I visiting?  Getting the new dog has stopped them from visiting us but not like they visited us much anyway.

I moved away from my family about 8 years ago. I see them only on Holidays - with an impromptu trip to see them 2-3 times between Easter and Xmas.  We live about 2hrs away, but don't feel a big connection to go back.  Is that wrong?  I'm with you though FUJB - they are nice people, but I feel like the odd man out.  I'm there if they ever need me, but I don't go out of the way to see them.  We don't even talk much over the phone.  My wife is actually the one to tell me when we should go see them - and she's not fond of them either.  Strange situation, but I'm comfortable with it.  Do what you need to do.  You go when your wife asks you to, and don't go when you don't feel like it.  I see nothing wrong with it.

Okay, kid is grown so it does not factor into discussion for me.   I lived away from home since I was 18 (1988).  Since then I almost always lived away from home.   Both my parents have passed but I still have 2 sisters, their families, cousins where I grew up.  Brother moved away too.   I don't visit them much at all but we talk monthly if not weekly.  

Wife and almost all her family lived in the same area their whole life.  I was brought to my attention by my wife that her family doesn't think I like them because I don't visit (Married since 1999).   I do like them but we don't have much in common.  The entire family about 30 people get together every Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.   Very PG-13 outings, no drinking but good food.  

How often should I be going?   We help support my MIL (200 a month) and wife visits her every week.   I used to visit a couple times a year other than the holidays but recently I probably been mostly on the holidays.  How often should I visiting?  Getting the new dog has stopped them from visiting us but not like they visited us much anyway.
yet another benefit of dogs

I'm confused.  You say that you don't visit and then you say you visit but only on holidays -- which is it?

Assuming you meant that you only visit on holidays then I think that is sufficient unless your wife would like you to accompany her when she visits.

I'm not sure it matters just how often you go.  If they are the type of family that visits often, you'd probably have to see them weekly for it to matter.  You might ask your wife to explain your family works differently, assuming she understands that you do like her family.

Honestly can't remember a time without booze at any of my awesome in-laws events.
My in-laws/wife don't drink much (her parents are LDS but only her mom is strict) but it's never stopped me. We see them almost every week, usually on a Sunday afternoon and I always have a few beers, even if I'm the only one.

Within the the same city - once every 1-2 weeks

Within 1 hour drive - 12

Within 2 hour drive - 8

Within 3 hour drive - 6

Within 5 hour drive - 4

over 5 hour drive - 2 

Have to fly 1 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife's family is uber close. Like live within a 4 block area, creepy close. They're awesome folks, I consider them my own family, but I get the "is he mad at us" speech far too often.

Sorry folks, no I don't think that we should hang out together every single weekend, and no I don't appreciate it when you call and say you're in the area and just wanted to stop by to drop something you got for the kiddos (if accepted this is a free pass for 2-8 of them to show up for god knows how long). We have two kids who have after school activities so the call on Friday night saying "hey I know it's short notice but we're getting together.... Can you come?!?! :pissed: :angry: :rant:

I'm confused.  You say that you don't visit and then you say you visit but only on holidays -- which is it?

Assuming you meant that you only visit on holidays then I think that is sufficient unless your wife would like you to accompany her when she visits.
I go to holiday visits just have not been in between recently.

My in-laws/wife don't drink much (her parents are LDS but only her mom is strict) but it's never stopped me. We see them almost every week, usually on a Sunday afternoon and I always have a few beers, even if I'm the only one.
They stock beer but don't drink, if so that is an invitation to drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today.  Had a poker tourny at 3 about an hour away.  While I was getting my bath, (yes bath, I read and enjoy it) she said she was leaving to visit mil,  I said wait I would join, she said no, and left.  

I got dressed and visited, mil, saw me coming and had to run and put on her robe.  Visited for 20 minutes.  No real acknowledgement from wife.

Well, today.  Had a poker tourny at 3 about an hour away.  While I was getting my bath, (yes bath, I read and enjoy it) she said she was leaving to visit mil,  I said wait I would join, she said no, and left.  

I got dressed and visited, mil, saw me coming and had to run and put on her robe.  Visited for 20 minutes.  No real acknowledgement from wife.

Robe?  What? Huh?

WTF is going on here FUJB??

If they are so narrow minded that they can only understand and/or respect and/or tolerate people exactly like themselves let them wallow in their own misery

My in-laws live about a15 minute walk from our house and I see them about 5 times a year. A few more this past year or so since I've been kind of a taxi service due to some health issues they're having. We get along fine but they're just not happy people and my wife doesn't like being around the constant negativity.

Users who are viewing this thread