What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Don Jackson? (1 Viewer)

JFS171

Footballguy
Sure sounds like Starks is out this week, and he's kinda looked awful this year.  Lacy sounds like he'll play, but it sure seems like his ankle is less than 100%, and I would assume he's at risk of re-aggravation.  The Packers don't have another RB on their roster, outside of the FB Ripkowski (great name btw), who beat writers have said is not much of a ball carrier (though he did look OK to me on a couple of FB dive plays.  Enter UDFA RB Don Jackson.

So who is this guy? He's the only RB on the Packers practice squad, and he's the guy that got most of the reps this week with Lacy limited and Starks away from the team (and also injured).  He's got one helluva backstory:

While Don Jackson, then a ninth-grader at Valley High School in Sacramento, was busy getting into one of his many fights during his youth, his girlfriend was sitting in on-campus suspension.

Don was supposed to be in suspension, too, but he was too busy getting in a fight. That was typical Don back then. So, somebody ran to on-campus suspension to let Don's girlfriend know he'd be late. When that message was delivered, the teacher who oversaw the suspended kids was aghast.

"Don Jackson is your boyfriend?" he asked Don's girlfriend, the rest of the class hearing the message, too. "You know he has a 0.1 GPA, right? Don't waste your time. He'll be dead or in jail before he's 17."
Or... he'll turn his life around, attend community college, then catch on at Nevada as a running back and a kick returner.  He's the subject of some offseason puff pieces as the UDFA to watch.  He could be the best of the Packers' undrafted rookies.  That's probably not saying much, but after Crockett was placed on IR in the preseason, Jackson made the practice squad and has been there since.  It wasn't THAT long ago that Starks came off the practice squad, joined the RB rotation, and was the lead back in the playoffs run.  There's also the legend of Samkon Gado, so it's happened a couple times before in Green Bay.  That's not to say it's likely to happen here, but if Jackson gets called up to the 53 man roster this week, he'll likely see some carries in relief of Lacy on Sunday.  And should Lacy's ankle get tweaked or just not be ready for a full workload, maybe Jackson sees even more work.  Opportunity is half the battle...

I'd get into more about his metrics and highlights, but there's not a lot of info available.  Here's some highlights, but you have to look for number 6, not number 20, as it's a blended highlight tape.  Some of the runs look like he's got some wiggle and some juice... then again, I don't consider myself a film guru.  Would love to hear what anyone else knows about the guy... and again, this may all be for naught, but he could also be added to the GB roster at any moment, Starks hasn't looked so hot, and Eddie's banged up.  I'm saying there's a chance.

I guess if you're in a pinch, and you hear on Sunday morning he's getting a start, he could be worth a shot in the dark.

Now if both Lacy and Starks are injured for a long period of time....he might be worth a look as the next man up.

I just grabbed him in a couple leagues.  I don't think Starks has much to offer anymore.  Lacy can still be a prime time back if the cards fall right for him and the Pack.  This kid ran a legit 40 (4.47) and is still learning the game (Only 5x years experience).  Worth a swing in my book.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports James Starks (knee) could "miss several weeks."

Starks is already out for Week 6. He'll undergo more testing on his knee, but he's dealing with a potentially serious meniscus injury. Eddie Lacy is going to be an every-down back with Starks sidelined and is looking at massive workloads moving forward. It's possible Starks could land on IR if he has a torn meniscus.

Bad for Starks........good info though to keep on top of if Jackson gets a few carries and looks good.

I just grabbed him in a couple leagues.  I don't think Starks has much to offer anymore.  Lacy can still be a prime time back if the cards fall right for him and the Pack.  This kid ran a legit 40 (4.47) and is still learning the game (Only 5x years experience).  Worth a swing in my book.
I did the same, figure if he does anything there's little chance he'd be available with late priority (based on record).  He goes in the group with Peyton barber, damien Williams and Denard Robinson, as lottery picks.  (Might drop Denard soon)

Great story.

Valley High School in Sacramento, where he got kicked out, was the school that spawned none other than Rae Carruth. Something must be in the water fountains there.

Darryl Talley said:
Great story.

Valley High School in Sacramento, where he got kicked out, was the school that spawned none other than Rae Carruth. Something must be in the water fountains there.

I think David Dodds went to Valley. 

Darryl Talley said:
Great story.

Higher concentrations of lead?

Starks is out, it sounds like Lacy may miss Thursday's game, Knile needs to learn the playbook.  Any chance this kid is ready to rock & roll Thursday night?

Starks is out, it sounds like Lacy may miss Thursday's game, Knile needs to learn the playbook.  Any chance this kid is ready to rock & roll Thursday night?
You would have to be truly desperate to start him I'd think. 

You would have to be truly desperate to start him I'd think. 
No doubt. I'm ok at RB, but would sure like to see someone used properly and have success in GB.  I see they are also kicking the tires over in the Knile Davis thread.

Hmmm.....

Lacy and Starks now out multiple weeks.  Davis just got there has proven to be a not very good RB over the last few seasons.

Jackson suddenly looks more and more appealing as a flier.

I'm grabbing if he clears waivers. Not wasting the spot on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson over Davis is what your gut tells you?

Has GB promoted him already? ESPN doesn't have him listed yet, Rotoworld doesn't have him on GB's depth chart.
Several Packers beat writers sounded pretty confident that he was going to be promoted. I haven't seen anything official yet but I'm assuming he will be.

My gut tells me that there likely isn't much value here but since Jackson is free and the opportunity cost to hold him through Thursday on Yahoo is zero I'll take a stab. I'd also rather roll with the unknown quantity here since the known quantity is Knile Davis. 

I'd rather own Montgomery... but I'd take a shot on Jackson with an open roster spot. At least he knows the offense. 

My gut is that Jackson gets a shot on early downs on Thursday night, but Montgomery feels like the play. There were some who thought Montgomery should convert to RB when he was entering the league. He's built like a RB, and McCarthy said earlier this week they needed to get him the ball more. 

Several Packers beat writers sounded pretty confident that he was going to be promoted. I haven't seen anything official yet but I'm assuming he will be.

My gut tells me that there likely isn't much value here but since Jackson is free and the opportunity cost to hold him through Thursday on Yahoo is zero I'll take a stab. I'd also rather roll with the unknown quantity here since the known quantity is Knile Davis. 
Agreed. From the beat writers it sounds like they will promote Jackson sometime before the game. I think they need to clear a roster spot first though. IMO may be waiting to see how bad Lacy's injury is (IR?) but that is just speculation on my part. Lacy will get a second opinion on his ankle from Dr. Robert Anderson in NC, same doctor that MOntgomery and Cook saw.

Agreed. From the beat writers it sounds like they will promote Jackson sometime before the game. I think they need to clear a roster spot first though. IMO may be waiting to see how bad Lacy's injury is (IR?) but that is just speculation on my part. Lacy will get a second opinion on his ankle from Dr. Robert Anderson in NC, same doctor that MOntgomery and Cook saw.
Personally have had the exact same surgery Montgomery had, including the micro fracture. There's no better doc in the country for ankles and lower leg injuries than Robert Anderson.  That said, he's also not the guy you want to hear your player is going to see...

Personally have had the exact same surgery Montgomery had, including the micro fracture. There's no better doc in the country for ankles and lower leg injuries than Robert Anderson.  That said, he's also not the guy you want to hear your player is going to see...
Word is that they will send Lacy's scans and x-rays to Dr. Anderson first and the doctor will determine if a personal visit is recommended. Either Davis or Howard could be a very nice pickup for a couple of weeks and may be more.

Some great research to kick off this thread JFS171 thanks for that.

Just watching a bit of the highlight reel. I can see some James Starks there as far as play style. I haven't watched the whole thing yet.

I definitely like number 20 more than him, he has some very good footwork, great jump cut to outflank the tacklers.Speed. Some power.

Jackson has speed, good stiff arm, but not as good of balance or cutting ability as 20 has.He trips over his own feet on one of those big runs otherwise likely would have scored. Big run still, he is fast and can outrun pursuit.

Worked with first team offense today. 
Hard to get a feel there.  Is it 1st team to keep the offense doing their work with someone who kows the system while Davis gets acclimated..or something more?Montgomery the only  one worth a play this week

Hard to get a feel there.  Is it 1st team to keep the offense doing their work with someone who kows the system while Davis gets acclimated..or something more?Montgomery the only  one worth a play this week
Totally agree. I imagine it is more that there is no one else to run the ball at practice right now, but it is still good news that he is getting reps.

SameSongNDance said:
In Yahoo I'll likely drop my kicker and hold him through Thursday because why the #### not.
Did this. We'll see what happens then drop city if nothing.

So this is funny in one of my leagues I'm in ESPN and the dummies that run that thing didn't bother to put ol' Don in the player pool, so now I have to wait until next Wednesday to pick him up, which of course if he does anything will be too late. Great stuff.

Here's my take on this whole thing (expanding on my brief take last night) -- full disclosure, I own Jackson in every league, and I own Montgomery in most of them (wish I owned him everywhere, and am trying to acquire -- within reason -- prior to Thursday night):

• At the Combine, Ty Montgomery measured 6', 221lbs and ran a 4.55 40.  More impressively (and if you've seen my posts previously about Agility Scores and how they matter), he posted a 6.97 3-cone with a 4.21 short shuttle -- that's a 11.18 Agility Score at 220+ lbs.  For context, compared to 220lb+ backs in his draft class, that agility score is pretty solid. 

Malcolm Brown (224lbs) - 6.86 3-Cone; 4.15 Short Shuttle -- 11.01 Agility Score
  • David Johnson (224lbs) - 6.82 3-Cone; 4.27 Short Shuttle -- 11.09 Agility Score
  • Jay Ajayi (221lbs) - 7.10 3-Cone; 4.10 Short Shuttle -- 11.20 Agility Score
  • Zach Zenner (223lbs) - 7.08 3-Cone; 4.14 Short Shuttle -- 11.22 Agility Score
  • Buck Allen (221lbs) - 6.96 3-Cone; 4.28 Short Shuttle -- 11.24 Agility Score
  • TJ Yeldon (226lbs) - 7.19 3-Cone; 4.22 Short Shuttle -- 11.41 Agility Score
  • Karlos Williams (230lbs) - 7.16 3-Cone; 4.46 Short Shuttle -- 11.62 Agility Score (gross - not his game)

[*]Ty Montgomery's draft profile spoke of a guy that could be an excellent RB. 
Strengths
Built like a full-grown man. Body type resembles that of a running back with well-defined, muscular legs. Foot quickness to create separation on short to intermediate routes. Played outside, from slot, as a tailback and as a wildcat quarterback. Displays good lateral movement and balance with ball in his hands.
Montgomery essentially played the Starks role on Sunday afternoon and has a career game.  The commentators on that game mentioned that Aaron Rodgers told them that RB "might be his [Montgomery's] best position."  Starks has kinda sucked all year, but his primary value to the Packers over the last few years has been in the screen game.  Green Bay targets very athletic linemen that can get out on screen plays and block downfield.  Montgomery brought an element of that back last week that's been missing from the offense.  Starks is also out a month, and Lacy could potentially be headed to IR.  Even if Lacy returns in a month, Montgomery's role as the Starks-type back is stable for the next few weeks IMO.  If he shines... well... can't put that genie back in the bottle, as they say.  Starks is averaging 1.8 YPC this year and is 30 years old.  He's not invincible.

[*]Jackson's role in this, IMO, is as the Lacy replacement for the short term.  I don't really know what to expect from Jackson.  I don't think Knile Davis is very good.  The Chiefs obviously don't think he's very good either -- basically selling him for a complete unknown pick in 2 years that may or may not be anything more than a 7th rounder.  He's averaged a whopping 3.3 YPC for his career.  He's not very agile, though he is big and fast.  Can that work in GB?  Truthfully I don't know, but I kinda think we know what we're going to get with Knile Davis.  He'll get what's blocked... that's it.  I almost see him as an emergency guy if Jackson got hurt, or if Montgomery got hut... Davis gives them a warm body at the position so they're not left with going 5 wide the whole time or just playing Ripkowski at RB.

For the record, Jackson has not been promoted yet.  In order to do so, Packers will need to put someone on IR or move an active player.

I got outbid on Davis, bid 8% and the highest was 20% by a team more desperate than me for a RB. I think since I play in Yahoo I will grab this guy and watch and see how he does like SSND. If its no good, just drop him for another player on Sunday. ESPN leagues you cannot do this little trick, but I got Knile Davis in that league. Just really hoping for a longshot hit here. I am pretty set at RB and (I just may have lost McCoy and need a replacement) don't expect much out of either guy, but stranger things have happened than a "no name" guy going off vs Chi Defense, and its so hard to get a starting RB off the wire in my leagues its worth an end of the bench type stash to see what happens. Let's spin the wheel Thu night... C'mon double zeros!!!

ETA: in the past I would make the mistake to not even bother if my RB stable was strong, but I have missed out on guys in the past because I am already strong at the position and don't want to make that mistake again. I am limited to a certain number of FA moves per season tho so I am technically paying "something" for this move.

Jackson available to add in ESPN leagues, which I assume means he's on the active roster now
Can't make that assumption. They have guys in there who aren't even on teams (FAs who never signed, but played the year before). They don't put all practice squad players in there. I assume that they make those decisions manually and put him in there because people are interested to pick him up.

ETA: Don't mean to say he won't be active, but I don't think there is anything automated. Likely emails from people who wanted to pick him up and asked where he was.

Users who are viewing this thread