What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comprehensive list of your favorite teams (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Since @Limp Ditka wanted a list, here is mine.

Tier 1: 

What these teams do can effect my mood. Live and die with them.

Detroit Tigers

Oklahoma Sooners football

Tier 2:

Fully engaged fanatic for big games, and watch a lot/most of their games, but a low leverage loss is dealt with quickly

Michigan Football 

Detroit Red Wings

Seattle Seahawks 

Tier 3: 

Have the hat, follow regularity, but not all that locked in until the games really count (front runner mentality)

Detroit Pistons

Oklahoma Basketball or really any of their sports other than foots

Washington Nationals 

SSC Napoli 

Tier 4:

Support the team, will watch sometimes, glad if they win

Great Lakes Loons [Dodgers single A affiliate]

West Michigan Whitecaps (Tigers single A affiliate)

U of M sports 

Tier 5:

Closet fan, would never buy a championship hat but would root for them to win 

Detroit Lions (for family and friends)

New York Islanders 

University of Maryland hoops

Will also root for teams playing teams I really hate. 

Feel free to list yours anyway you want, I just use tiers to illuminate my fandom. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tier 1: Royals, Jayhawk Basketball

Tier 2: Chiefs

Tier 3: Sporting KC, Jayhawk Football

Tier 4:  KU sports, Georgia Tech Football

Tier 5: Georgia Tech sports, Detroit/Michigan sporting team, ASU sports

Transferred from Georgia Tech to KU, company based in Michigan and have been to quite a few Lions/Tigers games, grad school at ASU. 

Tier 1; St. Louis Blues, Denver Broncos

Tier 2: St. Louis Cardinals (got moved down a tier since my love for baseball has dramatically decreased in the last five years)

Tier 3: Mizzou basketball

Tier 4: Mizzou football

Tier 5: Will root for whatever team LBJ is on, and will root for just about any team playing the Chicago Blackhawks, Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders

Good background Nugget. 

For me the Seahawks were probably the first team i ever truly loved, I have Nats season tix, I lived in Naples, Italy and have my bs from Muurland. Loons are my local lake house team and Islanders dynasty got me watching hockey. I liked the Lakers when Magic played for them when I was a kid. 

Tier 1: Cincinnati Reds, Cincinnati Bearcats basketball

Tier 2: Cincinnati Bengals, Cincinnati Bearcats football

Tier 5: Dayton Flyers basketball, Kentucky Wildcats football, Indiana Pacers

Tier 1: Raptors, Jays

Tier 3: Winnipeg Jets, Habs

Tier 4: Players I like watching play so I kind of root for their teams.

Ovie/Caps

LeBron/Cavs 

Subban/Preds

Tier 5: teams i love to see lose

Lakers, Leafs, Yankees, Red Sox, Blackhawks, Knicks

Tier 1

The "U" card carrying member 

Miami Dolphins...still naive enough to think maybe they can eventually get it right...oh boy

when they lose I get depressed. Phins season is over, Canes fall out of the top 25

Tier 2...The sun will rise tomorrow but not quite as bright when they lose

TB Bucs...lived there from 92 thru 00

Miami Heat...this was Tier 1 about 6 years ago. 

Tier 3...I follow but once the season sets in I lose interest quicker

Miami Marlins...horrible ending to a season I can ever remember. 

UM Basketball...this is nudging into tier 2 level

Tier 4...collection of teams I root for based on living in the area

Lakers and Dodgers

Lightning and Panthers

Rays and Santa Monica CC 

Tier 1: KC Chiefs, Wichita State Basketball

Tier 2: KC Royals, Nebraska Football, OKC Thunder

Tier 4: Stanford Baseball, Seattle Mariners, TCU Football, Blues Hockey

Tier 5: Seahawks, Vikings, Timberwolves

Location in the midwest explains most of the list. Cousin pitches for Stanford and got drafted by the Mariners in '14. Family in Seattle/Minnesota.

T1 - Duke bball, NE Patriots

T2 - Red Sox, NE Revolution, Liverpool

T3 - Celtics, Seahawks

T4 - Providence College bball, URI bball/football, Boston Bruins, Duke athletics

T5 - Poland, whoever is playing UNC bball or NYY

In my defense both are legit. New Englander since Grogan, grad school at Duke, undergrad at puny little DIII school

Tier 1: 

Boise St FB

Anaheim Ducks

Tier 2:

Fully engaged fanatic for big games, and watch a lot/most of their games, but a low leverage loss is dealt with quickly

LA Angels (use to be tier 1 - too busy now)

Tier 3: 

Have the hat, follow regularity, but not all that locked in until the games really count (front runner mentality)

LA Lakers (tier one until 2010 when I moved away)

Boise Hawks (Cubs Short Season A)

Idaho Steelheads (Dallas ECHL)

Tier 4:

none

Tier 5:

Cubs (dad grew up near Wrigley)
Blue Jays (had a great time at a 2001 game)
NO Saints

Was a big fan of rooting for Sanchez's teams as I have twins that went to HS with him. LOL.
Also rooted for Lions and Cowboys when Kellen Moore was on their teams.

LA Kings were Tier 1 until 1993. Will only root for them when they wear the purple and gold LOL.

Tier 1: Cubbies

Tier 2: Vandy Athletics although basketball is tier 1 sometimes, UK football and basketball, Nashville Predators are on the creep up to tier 1

Tier 3: Titans on the move up through the ranks ever since drafting Mariota

Tier -1 (actively root against): go to hell Vols

tier one: St. Louis Cardinals baseball, McNeese State Football

tier two: New Orleans Saints football, St. Louis Blues Hockey

tier three: Eastern Illinois Football, McNeese State basketball/baseball

tier four: Houston Astros

tier five: LSU Football/baseball

Just this response was enough for me to be pleased I started this thread. I did not expect to see UK foots listed anywhere in this thread. 
Went to grad school at UK after getting my bachelor's at Cincinnati.  When I was at UC, football was an afterthought.  Didn't even have to buy tickets, just show up at the gate and flash your student ID.  There really wasn't any fanfare around the games either. 
I got to UK, and found tailgating and SEC football.  I have and will always hate UK basketball, but for a few years was a huge football fan.

Tier 1: Georgia Tech football, Falcons, Manchester United

Tier 2: Georgia Tech basketball

Tier 3: Braves (used to be Tier 1), Hawks

Tier 4: all other GT sports

Tier 5: Florida football when they play UGA, Tennessee football when they play UGA, Vanderbilt football when they play UGA, South Carolina football when they play UGA, Mizzou football when they play UGA, the Nazis if they play UGA 

Tier 1:  Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Twins

Tier 2:  LSU Tigers Football

Tier 3:  Nashville Predators, Vandy Baseball

Tier 4:  LSU Baseball, Wisconsin Badgers Football, Tennessee Titans

Tier 5:  University of Tennessee sports

Tier 1: Florida football

Tier 2: Florida basketball, Miami Dolphins

Tier 3: Tottenham

Tier 4: Florida Baseball and other sports

Tier 5: Orlando Magic, Houston Astros

Tier 1: 

St Louis Cardinals, Ralston High School baseball

Tier 2:

Omaha Storm Chasers (AAA Baseball), St Louis Blues, Nebraska Cornhuskers (football and baseball), Ralston High School football and basketball

Tier 3: 

none

Tier 4:

Mizzou football, baseball and basketball, KC Royals, Colorado Rockies

Tier 5:

none

Tier 1:

Gator Football

Gator Basketball

Tier 2:

Cleveland Browns

Cleveland Indians

Cleveland Cavaliers

Georgia Tech Football

Tier 3: 

Gator Baseball

Georgia Tech Basketball (used to be tier 1 in Bobby Cremins era)

Tier 4:

Akron Rubber Ducks (AA Indians farm team)

Cleveland Monsters (Columbus Blue Jackets AHL affiliate)

Tier 5:

Akron Zips Football and Basketball

UCF Football (a little less now that O'Leary is gone)

Jacksonville Jaguars

Orlando Magic

------------

I was going to put the Orlando Predators in tier 4, but it turns out they are folding up shop

Tier 1: 

NY Giants

NY Mets

Baltimore Orioles

'Cuse Basketball

WIS Baseball

Tier 2:

Baltimore Ravens

NY Knicks ETA: This needs to be in Tier 1. And I'm hardly a front runner (Isles fans for years until non-sports fan related issues killed the passion).  Mets, Orioles... lots of years of utter suckiness and I'm still a hard core fan.  When Isaiah and Dolan were banging interns in limos though? Quite literally, I was done.  Having cried on a bus in ISRAEL after Hakeem took it to us in game 7; having almost gone ballistic a couple nights before, watching what I could of 3-17 John Starks miss a 3 that quite literally would have changed the tenor of Knicks history* - it was the pathetic behavior of the organization, not the heartbreak on the court, that severed my ties. 

To be honest, they are really a tier 3 today, but at some deep, root and base level, there is still an emotional attachment beyond that. It's just the pain of getting so close, in a sport where NY would erupt unlike a championship in any other (and those others, particularly the NY Giants, were still pretty ####### awesome experiences) followed by GM malpractice and finally the management driven culture that resulted in banging interns in limos ??? It has me unable to connect nearly as much as I'd like to. God I ####### loved (and hated) the Knicks. But they were my team.

The Dolans took that away from me by who they are, and what they do.

God I hate the Knicks.  And want to love them.

As I did when Ewing front rim bricked the finger roll.  

As I did when 55 got his shot blocked, more than once, denying us glory.  

As I did when Starks made so few shots made for so many shots taken. Missing the shot of glory that would have changed the of my beloved franchise, and it's warrior, Ewing.  

I suppose in the end, I'm not strong enough to have sustained all of this pain and heartbreak.  Not after the organization itself became unworthy of my affection and even respect. But remembering the visceral emotion when I did care, reminds me of what the Knicks once were to me, and, being honest, could be again. 

God I hate their ownership. More so than the Irsay's who stole away my Colts at the age of 10.

* I watched Starks miss the history changing shot at JFK, on my way to Israel. Thank god my consolation was finding a way to switch seats so I could sit next to this really hot chick who would be on the Trip with me.  She and I ended up hooking up, dating, and then living together for four years.  But the pain of Starks' miss still resonates. 

/Saturday part II - Knicks rant

Tier 3: 

U of Maryland Hoops

Tier 4:

U of Maryland Football

NY Jets (though my empathy is a Tier 1, poor little fan base deserves better)

NY Nets

Tier 5:

LA Dodgers

SF Giants

U of Stony Brook

HONORABLE MENTION TIER:

NY Islanders - Used to be a Tier 2. Growing issues with ownership and how they moved literally have me completely unmoved emotionally in any way, it's killed hockey for me which really sucks (I was involved, from a real estate angle in some of the efforts before moving, so have a bit of inside baseball here, which makes it all the more disappointing how it all unfolded, because my county leaders were stupid sheep willingly buying into Bruce Ratner's pipe dream bull####, after spending years completely screwing up, both our electeds and ownership, leading to the move to BK).

Tier 1: 

My fantasy baseball team(s).

Nothing can turn me into more of a grumbling, cussing, moody ##### like these guys can.

Blackhawks

Especially playoff games 

Tier 2: 

Chicago White Sox

You get used to how to handle low leverage losses pretty quickly when every single loss is exactly that.

Tier 4:

Chicago Bears 

As little as 2 years ago they would have been tier 1. I've gone from season ticket holder, break the TV remote when Paul Tagliabu said 'With the 4th pick in the 2005 NFL draft, The Chicago Bears select, Cedric Benson....', watch every minute of every game, find myself still thinking about a loss on Wednesday fan to just not ####### caring. I've soured on the NFL game as a whole, the season tickets are now gone and the only time I even lay eyes on a Bears game is if I'm at a friend's or at a bar and it's on. 

Tier 5:

Cincinatti Reds 

Ive always had a soft spot for the Reds because of WGN showing World Series recaps during Cubs rain delays. Love everything about the mid 70s Big Red Machine.

Milwaukee Brewers 

The old man took me to Game 3 of the '82 World Series. I've been a fan ever since. 

San Diego Chargers

The powder blues, Air Coryell, Chuck Muncie's glasses.  

Tier 1: Lynchburg Hillcats. Weird, but this is my home team. It's where I spend about 60 of my summer nights. It's where a ton of my advertising money goes. It's the team I enjoying seeing succeed the most and hate seeing fail the most. 

Tier 2: Charlotte Hornets, Carolina Panthers, UNC Basketball

Tier 3: UNC Football, Whichever MLB franchise has the Hillcats as it's affiliate (currently, Cleveland Indians)

Tier 1:. Detroit Lions and Tigers, Michigan Football and Basketball

Tier 2:. Indiana Basketball, football, baseball, and soccer.  Indianapolis Colts.  US Olympic Team except against Usain (guy is too good and too cool).  Detroit Red Wings  

Tier 3:. Chicago Cubs.  Big Ten Football and Basketball teams in out of conference games.  

Tier 4:. Massive underdogs against power teams.  

I kind of thought this when I made my list last night, but reading other people's favorites confirms it: the answers I gave really reflect my fandom 10-20 years ago. 

The truth is as a 45 year old my only Tier 1 or Tier 2 teams are my own kid's sports. I'd gladly miss any pro or college event to watch my 13, 10, or 6 year old play soccer or Basketball. 

And in all honesty unless it's a BIG game is rather get a good night's sleep than watch pro or college sports nowadays  

So my amended rankings are:

T1 - kid's soccer and basketball 

T2 - none

T3 - kids cross country and swimming. Duke bball. Patriots. Red Sox.

T4A - NE Revolution.  Liverpool.  Celtics

T4B - Bruins, PRovidence basketball, URI basketball, Seahawks, Duke non-bball

T5 - UNC/NYY/opponents (for hatred).  NYJ opponents (for comedy)

Good background Nugget. 

For me the Seahawks were probably the first team i ever truly loved, I have Nats season tix, I lived in Naples, Italy and have my bs from Muurland. Loons are my local lake house team and Islanders dynasty got me watching hockey. I liked the Lakers when Magic played for them when I was a kid. 
DD can I ask how you became an OU fan? Did you go to school there?

T1: 49ers (in danger of dropping a tier if Jed York doesn't fall off the face of the Earth)

Anyone ever lose love for their team bc of the owner?

UNC baskets

T2: NY Rangers

T3: NYY

T4: NYK, Jim Harbaugh coached team

T5: Brooklyn Nets, NY Islanders, NY Mets, NY Jets, Philly Eagles

mr roboto said:
What a bandwagon top 3 tiers here. 
None of it is bandwagon. I'm a New Englander. I went to Duke. I've liked the Seahawks since Zorn/Largent, with plenty of non-playoff seasons. The only jersey I own is a 30 year old Largent jersey. 

I was a Seahawks and Pats fan when they selected Bledsoe/Mirer 1-2 in the draft, so I've seen plenty of lean football years

T1: 49ers (in danger of dropping a tier if Jed York doesn't fall off the face of the Earth)

UNC baskets

Yes.  On my list you will notice no NFL teams.  First it was Bill Bidwill that made me abandon the Cardinals when he moved them to Arizona.  So I picked up the Rams when they moved in.  Rams move back to LA, so now I actively root for no one.

UNC baskets

Browns fans can trace their loss of interest to Art Modell. He screwed a generation of fans.

T1: Patriots, SF Giants, GS Warriors, Chicago Blackhawks, Alabama football, Duke basketball, Novak Djokovic, Jordan Spieth, Serena Williams, Manchester United

One of the reasons Bostonians are so fanatical about their pro teams is that there's no high-level college sport (even hockey, really) to compete with it. Though i do remember a time that Patriot Nation ignores - from 1960-75 the two leading local sports jokes were "What do you call a black superstar?    N-----. (for Bill Russell)" and "I'm from Boston - we don't have professional football" and Boston College football had better radio ratings (Pats never sold out so no home games were on TV) than the Patriots.

I was away from New England from 1977-2011 and my Sox/Celts passion never ebbed. Football was different. I was a Broncos fan in NM (white New Mexicans are largely Bronco fans, brown New Mexicans Cowboys) and, already a huge Bill Walsh fan, a Niners supporter in Reno, but B&BB have won me back to the Pats since I returned.

ETA: I was a huuuuge Lobo basketball fan my first tour in NM - had friends on the Stormin' Norman Ellenburger factory teams of the late 70s-early 80 and, as a result, partied w Jimmy V's NCState Wolfpack all week (@ a disco called the Hungry Tiger where V came along wearing a Travolta white suit and would put his cigarette in his soulpatch spot when he danced) the year they won the title in Albq - my only non-Boston fanaticism.

fantasycurse42 said:
I went about a decade without watching Blackhawks hockey because Bill Wirtz was the worst owner on the planet and did everything he possibly could to alienate the fan base. I'm not ashamed to admit that I openly cheered his death. 

1. Bearcats basketball, Bengals, Reds

2. Bearcats Football

3. Bowling Green Football

4. Bowling Green Basketball, Indiana Pacers

5. Duke Football, whichever CFB teams have kids from my HSFB team

T1: Auburn football

T2: Auburn basketball, Cincinnati Reds, Dallas Cowboys (trending down)

T3: Auburn baseball

T4: Your mom, South Alabama football, Nashville Predators (trending up)

T5: Your mom's mom

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tier 1: [/SIZE]

UCLA Football & Basketball (though given how bad the AD is, this is starting to slip), Lakers, Dodgers (was Tier 4 while that thief McCourt owned the team)

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tier 2:[/SIZE]

FC Barcelona, Chicago Bears (slipping steadily due to my waning interest in the team and NFL)

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tier 3: [/SIZE]

Stanford football, LSU football, Duke basketball, LA Kings, LA Galaxy

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tier 4:[/SIZE]

Atlanta Hawks, UCLA sports outside of FB & BB, Stanford sports outside of FB, UC Santa Barbara athletics, Army football

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tier 5:[/SIZE]

Oakland Raiders, San Antonio Spurs, Sevilla FC, Miami Dolphins, any team playing USC, SF Giants, Real Madrid, or the Celtics

Tier 1 - Live and die, wins and losses affect my mood:

cocksucking, mother####ing Philadelphia Eagles, Davidson Basketball

Tier 2 - Could be Tier 1, but really sapping my energy the past few years

Philadelphia Phillies, your 10-9-8-76ers

Tier 3 - Love 'em, but only have so much time to really give my energy.

Philadelphia Flyers

Tier 4 - Weird projected sentimental interest

Golden State Warriors, Oakland A's

Some vestigial love from starting in Philadelphia.  Watched a lot of Curry's early games.  Saw more of Kelenna Azubuike than anyone should have to endure. 

Tier 5 - Would love to bandwagon if we are doing it and doing it and doing it well

Penn State, Temple, other Davidson sports

Tier 6 - Admiration from afar for really close-knit provincial fanbases

Kansas City Chiefs, buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Portland Trailblazers, Winnipeg Jets, Sacramento Kings, probably others I will remember when less drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread