What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doctor Strange Film - 11/4/16 (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Marvel series

I enjoy magic in a fantasy setting but prefer science based super heroes.

Huge fan of Cumberbatch

Very much looking forward to opening night.

I'm less familiar with him than most other heroes, but this looks like it will be a good film.

Not sure, I was never that into comics, but like most of the Marvel Universe films, am a fan of the lead actor and the premise for the character sounded interesting based on what I've read before. Looking forward to it, may try and check out in 3D IMAX format.  

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Is this some iteration of The Shadow or vice versa?
No.  The Shadow was Lamont Cranston.  It was from the 30's.

Dr Strange (Steven Strange) was created in the 60's.  Totally different characters.

I'm going into this with the same reservations I had for both Ant Man and Guardians.   It could be good, or could be kind of lame..   but they hit on ant-man and guardians much to my surprise.

The animated Dr. Strange movie is the strongest entry for the Marvel Animated movies (that's not saying much as most are garbage.. but it was very watchable.)

I"m pretty lukewarm on the character as a whole...  I've always seen as a "deus ex machina" kind of guy...   "hey we need some time of miracle...  let's try the dark arts... 'cast spell... done deal'!

I'm going into this with the same reservations I had for both Ant Man and Guardians.   It could be good, or could be kind of lame..   but they hit on ant-man and guardians much to my surprise.

The animated Dr. Strange movie is the strongest entry for the Marvel Animated movies (that's not saying much as most are garbage.. but it was very watchable.)

I"m pretty lukewarm on the character as a whole...  I've always seen as a "deus ex machina" kind of guy...   "hey we need some time of miracle...  let's try the dark arts... 'cast spell... done deal'!
That reminded me about the animated version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-YcqIlgUw

As am I, never really got into him when I did collect comic books and pretty much know nothing of his origin or any other relation to characters in the Marvel Universe.  But it's Marvel and I can't remember the last movie they've royally messed up (maybe Iron-Man 3) so I will go see it and I will probably love it.

As am I, never really got into him when I did collect comic books and pretty much know nothing of his origin or any other relation to characters in the Marvel Universe.  But it's Marvel and I can't remember the last movie they've royally messed up (maybe Iron-Man 3) so I will go see it and I will probably love it.
IM 2 and IM 3 were both pretty mediocre.   Ultron wasn't exactly awe-inspiring stuff either.

I still go see them though because I'm a Marvel nerd and it's about the only thing that looks interesting to me movie-wise... I see plenty of trailers.. and almost always go... nope, nope, nope, Star Wars.. ok

The first 11 reviews are up on Rotten Tomatoes and it is off to a solid start at 100% positive.  The reviews are not over the top great mind you, but more seem to fall into "another solid entry in MCU" type of reviews.

BTW, lead actor Benedict Cumberbatch is hosting SNL next week 11/5, the day after the American release date. 

Don't remember anything about it, but Dr. Strange was one of the few comic books I liked as a kid. 

But Superman...

But Superman...
Oh i know... same type of thing...   and I know.. it's comic books and superheros so anything can and should go.

But with Strange.. I've just seen him written as a deus ex machina too many times

I saw an advanced IMAX 3D screening of this last night, it was a very cool movie.  :excited: :thumbup:  Benedict Cumberbatch is perfect for the title role.

It's like Marvel + Inception + M.C. Escher. As usual, stay after the ending credits for a bonus scene that sets up Dr. Strange's next appearance/mission.

I saw an advanced IMAX 3D screening of this last night, it was a very cool movie.  :excited: :thumbup:  Benedict Cumberbatch is perfect for the title role.

It's like Marvel + Inception + M.C. Escher. As usual, stay after the ending credits for a bonus scene that sets up Dr. Strange's next appearance/mission.
Is it more like GOTG or a typical Marvel movie?

I'm going with a group to see this next week - do you think IMAX 3D is essential?

Is it more like GOTG or a typical Marvel movie?
Are you referring to the humor? It's not as funny as GOTG (probably the funniest Marvel movie), but it doesn't take itself too seriously. 

Good origin story (I think, as I'm not familiar with the character from the comics) with plenty of action.

Are you referring to the humor? It's not as funny as GOTG (probably the funniest Marvel movie), but it doesn't take itself too seriously. 

Good origin story (I think, as I'm not familiar with the character from the comics) with plenty of action.
More of the not taking itself seriously, both GOTG and Ant Man were like this.

I'm going with a group to see this next week - do you think IMAX 3D is essential?
As most movies that offer the 3D option these days, I'm fairly certain this wasn't shot in true 3D (such as Avatar). But the the psycho-magic effects of this particular movie makes good use of the 3D and it really pops in the plentiful action scenes. The IMAX-sized screen also lends itself very well to this when the city bends and folds. 
I would say Dr. Strange on IMAX 3D would be a far better experience than on a normal theater screen.

I don't mean to hijack but Deadpool would be the funniest Marvel movie.  At the same time his rights are still technically owned by Fox so I'll stop typing this pointless post now thanks.

Another solid Marvel outing. I think the consensus of reviews out there is spot on: predictable and kind of blah origin story but wrapped in mind bending cinematography and well executed acting.   Very much in line with Ant-Man in terms of overall quality IMO.

Typical tone for Marvel, plenty of laughs. Worth seeing in IMAX 3D, which I've generally given up on but decided to see it for this film and am glad I did. 

Stay for the mid-credits scene. Post-credit one you can read about and be fine.

Will take my 10 y/o. Some of the visuals might be overwhelming for younger kids, though it might not be as much of an issue in standard format. About standard violence as these movies go. 

I had to look up who MC Escher was. :lmao:  was wondering what a rapper had to do with the style of the movie.

2.75/5

Great visuals, blah story.  Wouldn't watch again, wouldn't do a sequel.

Went in with modest expectations, came out underwhelmed

family saw it tonight and we all enjoyed.  We would rank it middle of the path of this awesome run of movies.

Great mid credit scene.  I had no idea that was in the works (

Dr Strange in Thor 3 with Hulk too
)

Really enjoyed it. This is one of my favorite Marvel characters so I've been waiting for this film for a long time and the film was everything I was hoping it would be and more. Huge Cumberbatch fan as well (Love Sherlock) and thought he nailed the performance. Visuals are spectacular and they hit on all the right points with the origin story. For all the backlash toward Tilda Swinton's casting I thought she was, as always, outstanding. She's just an A-list talent so of course she was terrific in the role. Her chemistry with Cumberbatch was a strength of the film. And this was also one of the funnier films in the MCU as well. Not surprised to hear Community's Dan Harmon had a hand in some of the writing.  

Can't wait to see where they take this character moving forward in the MCU. From the sounds of things he's going to feature prominently in the films to come. I said in the big MCU thread I could see Strange becoming the next Tony Stark/Iron Man for Marvel given Cumberbatch's current star power if they decide to pass the torch from Downey to him. I'm also hoping to see those two characters together in Infinity War. I would be shocked if it doesn't happen.     

Obviously stay to the end but everyone knows that by now of course.The mid-credits scene looks like it's going to be pretty great stuff.  

Pretty sure the film makes it clear Strange will feature a large part in the Infinity War. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread