What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 7 Waiver Wire (1 Viewer)

Torrey Smith - looks like his skill set meshes with Kaepernick's arm and the team may be playing from behind a lot

Some early thoughts:

NE- White/Lewis - check news for return of Lewis early in the week but if he is still available in your league he is worth a pickup.

JAX- Marquise Lee- picking up more targets last couple of weeks and may be worth a speculative add.

SF- Torrey Smith- probably better to just avoid this entire offense but Kaep seems to have some rapport with him

BUF- Gillislee- in case McCoy were to go down

DET- Golden Tate if dropped. Led all Lions in targets today. Zenner may also be a decent option if Washington.Riddick remain out

Some early thoughts:

NE- White/Lewis - check news for return of Lewis early in the week but if he is still available in your league he is worth a pickup.

JAX- Marquise Lee- picking up more targets last couple of weeks and may be worth a speculative add.

SF- Torrey Smith- probably better to just avoid this entire offense but Kaep seems to have some rapport with him

BUF- Gillislee- in case McCoy were to go down

DET- Golden Tate if dropped. Led all Lions in targets today. Zenner may also be a decent option if Washington.Riddick remain out
Lewis most likely isn't going to be back for a while, at least several weeks.

Depending upon how deep you have to dig in your leagues and/or if you can afford to be patient, (yep, I'm going to say it) Justin Hunter. 

His physical talent has never been in question.  What is going on between his ears is where the issue has been. I realize that he had only 1 target last week and it looks like only 2 this week.  But he is new to the team and has already gotten a redzone look and a long look.  A scrambling qb not afraid to chuck the rock down the field... a wr corp lacking a true #1...  stranger things have happened.

I would also mention Breshad Perriman.  I personally am not sold on his hands and he has Wallace playing in front of him.  But I think there is an opening for him to carve out a role (he only got two targets in week 1, but since then he has gotten 5,4,5,5 and today 8).  I don't get to see much football and do most of my "research" by reading.  What I'd like to know if his catch percentage (2-1, 5-2, 4-2, 5-3, 5-2, and 8-3) is his fault or the qb's.  Anyone able to help with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ajayi is actually available in one of my leagues. He seems like a guy to go all in for.
Agree if he hit your wire. Will have a role all season long so at least a flex consideration ROS.

Unless Kaep has some deep kind of history with Torrey Smith, I think it's chasing points -- don't think Smith will be as consistent Kerley if he's available somehow.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Britt needs to be owned.  He's put up decent yards every game, the team is constantly playing from behind and defenses are loading the box to stop Gurley. Should be a solid play through the bye weeks. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Britt needs to be owned.  He's put up decent yards every game, the team is constantly playing from behind and defenses are loading the box to stop Gurley. Should be a solid play through the bye weeks. 
When Goff starts, Britt's stats will take a hit. Right?

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you. I guess that's easy to do after this week's stat line.

Depending upon how deep you have to dig in your leagues and/or if you can afford to be patient, (yep, I'm going to say it) Justin Hunter. 

His physical talent has never been in question.  What is going on between his ears is where the issue has been. I realize that he had only 1 target last week and it looks like only 2 this week.  But he is new to the team and has already gotten a redzone look and a long look.  A scrambling qb not afraid to chuck the rock down the field... a wr corp lacking a true #1...  stranger things have happened.

I would also mention Breshad Perriman.  I personally am not sold on his hands and he has Wallace playing in front of him.  But I think there is an opening for him to carve out a role (he only got two targets in week 1, but since then he has gotten 5,4,5,5 and today 8).  I don't get to see much football and do most of my "research" by reading.  What I'd like to know if his catch percentage (2-1, 5-2, 4-2, 5-3, 5-2, and 8-3) is his fault or the qb's.  Anyone able to help with this?
I'd stay away from Perriman for now.   I think it's "all the above" as issues. Ravens don't look good on offense and outside of Wallace, West and S. Smith (if healthy) I'd avoid all others until or if they ever figure things out (and I'm a Ravens fan).

Montgomery WR GB possibly? I know he is gone in most dynasty but redraft he may be available. Nice game today. Also agree on Wright , Britt, and of course Ajayi if available in redraft,

very few upside guys on my wire... I think I'm rolling Chester Rogers... seems to hang onto everything, has some burst and Luck likes him, lots of injuries in Indy too.

Britt only had 8 targets. Hard to see him putting up big numbers regularly without the volume. 

Britt only had 8 targets. Hard to see him putting up big numbers regularly without the volume. 
:confused:

Isn't 128 targets about the norm for Golden? Also, he had 10 targets not 8, so make it 160.

He came into the week on pace for something like 99-102.

Wow.

The issue with both the Rams and Titans is that they spread the ball around way too much for my liking, you never know who is going to get theirs any given week besides the RB's. If I had to pick between Britt and Wright, I would go with Britt. 

Effing Roethlisberger. Lost him on 2 of 3 teams. Luckily best team was a 2 keeper and he was a later round keeper so I drafted Brady as well later due to suspension. Other league, I just got the points lead and got into 2nd and my only backup was Fitz just for the bye week. Already lost Keenan Allen, so damn this hurts. He was so solid this year.

Looking at waivers, I see Osweiler and dare I say it, Keenum as available. Osweiler has been solid accept against good Ds and both of them have some nice schedules after the next two weeks. I think I may be going Cody Kessler for week 7 and Keenum week 9 and then Osweiler for the rest. Osweiler has Denver week 7, bye week 8, but until week 17, he plays FF passing Ds ranked 20-32. Not bad, considering he does have weapons since Fuller should be healthy by week 8 (Detroit).

Effing Roethlisberger. Lost him on 2 of 3 teams. Luckily best team was a 2 keeper and he was a later round keeper so I drafted Brady as well later due to suspension. Other league, I just got the points lead and got into 2nd and my only backup was Fitz just for the bye week. Already lost Keenan Allen, so damn this hurts. He was so solid this year.

Looking at waivers, I see Osweiler and dare I say it, Keenum as available. Osweiler has been solid accept against good Ds and both of them have some nice schedules after the next two weeks. I think I may be going Cody Kessler for week 7 and Keenum week 9 and then Osweiler for the rest. Osweiler has Denver week 7, bye week 8, but until week 17, he plays FF passing Ds ranked 20-32. Not bad, considering he does have weapons since Fuller should be healthy by week 8 (Detroit).
Alex Smith not available? Faces NO & IND next two weeks

Still needs to be on rosters... has around the same amount of targets as D Thomas, Tyrell Williams and S. Shephard.
I agree he needs to be grabbed. Just saying to temper expectations. Skeptical he's more than a top 30 wr, though that definitely has value. 

Alex Smith not available? Faces NO & IND next two weeks
Nope. The guys I listed and Siemian are the best available. Feeling a bit queasy right now.

ETA: I'll be watching the wire and hoping a backup QB comes available. I would have still been fine with Fitz if Decker was healthy.

Fiedorowicz has had 3 straight productive weeks for Olsen owners looking for a streamer.
Could be more than that. He was my 'watch' guy out of the '14 draft because he was the most Gronky among a bunch of oversized 'move' types - ASJ, Amaro, Ebron - who haven't worked out so much. Like at Iowa, he stays home and blocks first but has surprising agility & hands. Think its time to grow out of that and give Brock Offalweiler a consistent target

How about Montgomery with the Packers. Looks like he might be part of the game plan going forward.

RE: Montgomery. I can see how he might be valuable in a weak crop of waiver wire adds, but I am unsure he will be consistent enough as the #3 there. Much like Davante Adams was in his rookie year when he was very hit or miss.

RE: Montgomery. I can see how he might be valuable in a weak crop of waiver wire adds, but I am unsure he will be consistent enough as the #3 there. Much like Davante Adams was in his rookie year when he was very hit or miss.
Hes basically their passing down RB, Starks is out a few weeks, Lacy is banged up, they play Thursday Night, and the coach even mentioned getting him more involved in the running game.

Said this a few weeks back in the thread "Give me a late year stud out of the clouds"

Ty Montgomery WR GB

Guy will be a star with GB. Devante Adam's can't drop passes and keep Montgomery off his tail
I still stand by this. Adams is terrible. Montgomery looked awesome last year before he got hurt. 

No. He does this every single year. Has a big game, then when you pick him up and/or start him, goes 2/27. No thanks, seen this movie too many times.
Agree to disagree.  His problem hasn't been talent.  If he stays healthy, he'll be the #2 target.  Granted, the #2 on a run first offense doesn't give a ton of consistency and value, but in larger leagues and dyno I'll take the chance.  He's part of my wr4 committee in a 16 team league (with Enunwa and Wallace).

Agree to disagree.  His problem hasn't been talent.  If he stays healthy, he'll be the #2 target.  Granted, the #2 on a run first offense doesn't give a ton of consistency and value, but in larger leagues and dyno I'll take the chance.  He's part of my wr4 committee in a 16 team league (with Enunwa and Wallace).
That's fair enough, I just have been burned by this dude several times and it's the same M.O. each time. We'll see, he has talent, no doubt.

I'm a Packer fan and this is how I see Ty Montgomery.  He was drafted as a WR/KR guy and he is very good in the open field but has too many WR with a better skillset than him in that offense.  Yesterday Green Bay was really thin at RB so they had plays designed to line up Ty in the backfield and catch a lot of short swing passes.  He isn't any further up the food chain.  He may continue to see some extra looks in that sort of play design until they get some RB depth but I don't see him having a big piece of a receiving role for a very long period of time.

I'm a Packer fan and this is how I see Ty Montgomery.  He was drafted as a WR/KR guy and he is very good in the open field but has too many WR with a better skillset than him in that offense.  Yesterday Green Bay was really thin at RB so they had plays designed to line up Ty in the backfield and catch a lot of short swing passes.  He isn't any further up the food chain.  He may continue to see some extra looks in that sort of play design until they get some RB depth but I don't see him having a big piece of a receiving role for a very long period of time.
Good stuff.  What I see is a guy with zero targets on the year until Starks is out.  Maybe so long as Starks stays out, Montgomery is a flex guy.  Hard to be much more optimistic than that.  His (lack of) usage in the first 4 games can't be ignored.

Best case (barring injury), he gets Adams' share, which isn't much, either.

I agree. Plus this offense is such a mess right now I'm not sure I'd want to get too excited about anyone outside the core pieces and even those players aren't showing any real consistency. That being said, this week is a plus matchup on paper so it's possible with all the injuries someone like Montgomery could come through but long-term I wouldn't view him as a serious investment. But if you're looking for a one-week shot in the arm type pickup he could come through assuming Lacy is still hobbling (which seems likely) and, more importantly, Adams doesn't play. 

JAy Ayjaiajyayahwatver worth a #1 waiver wire spot? I actually had him couple weeks ago when Foster went down, but dropped him since he was a 0 until last week.

No. He does this every single year. Has a big game, then when you pick him up and/or start him, goes 2/27. No thanks, seen this movie too many times.
agree. Walker is the only one catching passes on a consistent basis for fantasy purposes.  All the others are just too hit/miss.  

Good stuff.  What I see is a guy with zero targets on the year until Starks is out.  Maybe so long as Starks stays out, Montgomery is a flex guy.  Hard to be much more optimistic than that.  His (lack of) usage in the first 4 games can't be ignored.

Best case (barring injury), he gets Adams' share, which isn't much, either.
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/31699/green-bay-packers-wr-ty-montgomery-reveals-severity-of-ankle-surgery

Maybe that has something to do with it... This guy was working his way to WR3 on the depth chart last year before he got hurt

Surgery in December that can take up to a year to fully heal. 

I agree. Plus this offense is such a mess right now I'm not sure I'd want to get too excited about anyone outside the core pieces and even those players aren't showing any real consistency. That being said, this week is a plus matchup on paper so it's possible with all the injuries someone like Montgomery could come through but long-term I wouldn't view him as a serious investment. But if you're looking for a one-week shot in the arm type pickup he could come through assuming Lacy is still hobbling (which seems likely) and, more importantly, Adams doesn't play. 

Packer fan here as well. I guess you and I remember things differently from last season. Montgomery has size and speed to be something special in the offense. 

Players ahead of him:
Adams: Whenever your play appears in a drinking game, you know you have problems: http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/9/21/13001608/2016-packers-offense-drinking-game-fullback-dive-davante-adams-drop
not to mention Adams was on the brink of being cut potentially: 
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/04/davante-adams-may-struggle-to-make-packers-roster/
Abbrederis: More of a route runner but technically ahead of him on the depth chart. Different type of receiver than Montgomery. I love Abby but I'm not sure he is more than a poor man's Wes Welker possession WR guy
Janis: Is he ahead of him? More of a speed guy but has more size (6'3)

I think Montgomery has potential to be big in the offense. Maybe not tomorrow, but by the end of the year he could creep into flex status. Remember, James Jones was WR4 in this offense and posted enough stats last year to warrant weekly consideration last season. Yes, this offense does not look like last year's, or even close, but they have to right the ship at some point, right? 

At the end of the day, Montgomery or Abby will emerge as a decent option in this offense. I think Montgomery has more play making ability but I really hope it's Abby. Adams certainly isn't getting it done

Dr. Brew, I think Adams has greatly improved this year.  It seems to me Rodgers has a lot more trust in him and I think it's going to be tough for Montgomery to jump ahead of him.  To me that puts Nelson, Cobb and Adams ahead of him.  He is in the mix after those 3 but he had done nothing until this week and got the opportunity because he was the best fit to lineup as a RB and make some plays.  I even remember the commentators talking about how I think it was Rodgers had commented that Rb might be a better position than WR for Montgomery.  He can be used a little all over and he had a nice week this week but I would expect spotty numbers from him and his plays lining up as a RB to diminish as Lacy and Starks get healthy or if they add another RB while they are hurt.  I'm just saying he feels like a long shot to be very fantasy relevant this year.

Users who are viewing this thread