What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Burfict 'surgery shot' on Martellus Bennett (1 Viewer)

Lifetime ban at this point. He knows he shouldn't and he was a big part of the fiasco in the Pitt Cin game last year.

nothing against Cinci or the fans but he has to go.

Couldn't believe it when I saw it.  And the announcers (Collinswirth?  I don't  remember.) blew it off that it appeared accidental and that he was losing his balance.  SayWhat????? 

Nothing other than "I'm going to take someone out" can possibly be going through this guy's head on a play like that.    At the knees of a player from 10 feet away while the ball is in the air to an entirely different receiver.  What a clown.  

Couldn't believe it when I saw it.  And the announcers (Collinswirth?  I don't  remember.) blew it off that it appeared accidental and that he was losing his balance.  SayWhat????? 

Nothing other than "I'm going to take someone out" can possibly be going through this guy's head on a play like that.    At the knees of a player from 10 feet away while the ball is in the air to an entirely different receiver.  What a clown.  
That was Fouts who said it.  And yes, he is an idiot

I'm glad this is the opinion I'm waking up to, I suggested it looked like exactly what a couple other serial offenders do in that situation and was laughed off because I was implying intent.

Imo there's very few ways to cut that hit, he posted up and targeted the knee.

All that being said, if Burfict gets suspended then Blount should be for a game or two also for his role in the extra curriculars.

All that being said, if Burfict gets suspended then Blount should be for a game or two also for his role in the extra curriculars.
If what Blount did what shove one guy in the face and rip another's helmet off, I'd argue there's nothing comparable there to warrant a suspension.  He'll be fined, but he wasn't out aiming to take away other players livelihood like Burfict (once again) was. 

Full dusclosure - I'm neither a Bengals nor Patriots fan.

I have been as big a marvin lewis supporter as anyone but he keeps signing off on guys he can't control.  

Really?. So tackling using a shoulder pad at mid-thigh is now dirty football?

You guys need to stick to fantasy curling.  Then you won't be getting your panties in a wad over the horrible violence of football. 

You guys need to stick to fantasy curling.  Then you won't be getting your panties in a wad over the horrible violence of football. 
Tackling generally implies the guy has the football in his hands or at least in the vicinity of his hands.

Tackling generally implies the guy has the football in his hands or at least in the vicinity of his hands.
You missed the ball sailing over Bennett's head in the video?. You notice the CB putting hands on Bennett before Burfict him him - both Bengals players saw Bennett as a potential target on the pass play and were timing to arrive just after the ball would have. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When did all of you become such pansies? And everyone flipping out over this. Watch the replay, he's pretty clearly sweeping his thigh out. Not even close to the same thing as going after a knee. There's a reason Bennett fell flat on his a** instead of crumpling over.

The ball was going 20 yards past Bennett for those that can't tell from the angle. And he was clearly aiming for the back/side of the knee. If he hit any part of his thigh it was incidental.

Rapaport suggesting the league will fine him, doubts he gets suspended.

And to the above yes, Blount was involved in a kerfuffle where he took an opponents helmet off, should be suspended any time that happens.

The ball was going 20 yards past Bennett for those that can't tell from the angle. And he was clearly aiming for the back/side of the knee. If he hit any part of his thigh it was incidental.

I just saw the clip in the link, so perhaps it looks like it was a lot closer to Bennett than it was...

Anyway, we should all get used to this. We all knew it would start happening more and more with the penalties for hitting high. A lot of WRs are going to have season ending leg injuries due to low hits in the coming years.

Did you not watch the video? Burfict's initial point of contact is with the shoulder pad at mid-hamstring. 

That's good football to anyone but those with a predetermined jaded opinion.  Unless of course you happened to be able to read Burfict's mind to determine intent before he made the hit. Is that your claim?. if so, then Burfict badly missed his target. 

I agree.  I absolutely cannot stand Burfict and think he needs to go, but this is not the violation to do it on.  He hit him in the back of the thigh and slid down the leg as he went through.  A few guys, Burfict included, have said how they have to start going low because of the league emphasis on high hits, and this is the result of that.

I only saw the clip and it looks like the ball is coming in Bennett's general direction, so unless live action makes it much more clear the ball's not going to him I don't see the problem here.

Lol this is what I meant in my first post. Stereotypical TJ Ward ####bag move, followed by "you can't just presume intent"... I'm not I'm watching him play football like an #######. He clearly is just an #######.

I agree.  I absolutely cannot stand Burfict and think he needs to go, but this is not the violation to do it on.  He hit him in the back of the thigh and slid down the leg as he went through.  A few guys, Burfict included, have said how they have to start going low because of the league emphasis on high hits, and this is the result of that.

I only saw the clip and it looks like the ball is coming in Bennett's general direction, so unless live action makes it much more clear the ball's not going to him I don't see the problem here.
I kept watching this and felt the same.  Looked like initial contact was in the back of the thigh area and slid down..and it was far from a vicious hit. Players can`t go high anymore so they lower the target and there is not much room for error at game speed.

Heard the uproar and went to watch the video. Honest reaction.......thought it would be much worse. If it wasnt Burfict it wouldnt even be talked about.

Yeah, it's gross.... but didn't the den OL do the same thing(actually worse because it happened further away from the ball) for about a decade or two?

Lol this is what I meant in my first post. Stereotypical TJ Ward ####bag move, followed by "you can't just presume intent"... I'm not I'm watching him play football like an #######. He clearly is just an #######.
I'm sorry to say this, but that was a sound and fair hit. That you can't recognize it is really a shame. I can only think that you have an agenda based upon a predetermined outcome in this. The video simply does not support your position.

The other possibility is that you just don't understand the game, which I do not believe. 

Yeah, it's gross.... but didn't the den OL do the same thing(actually worse because it happened further away from the ball) for about a decade or two?

Heard the uproar and went to watch the video. Honest reaction.......thought it would be much worse. If it wasnt Burfict it wouldnt even be talked about.
I had the exact same reaction.  He went low on a potential receiver.  Had Bennett been planting all his weight on that leg, it could have been ugly, but that kind of contact goes on basically every play in the NFL.

Watching the pregame last night... when Rodney Harrison thinks it's clearly a cheap shot, you know there's an issue.

Only those in certain parts of Ohio would see this as merely a "football play."

No. Almost everyone is watching this objectively. You're just watching from the perspective of an a**hurt Patriots homer...nothing wrong with that, it should just be noted.

Nothing to see here. Only reason this is being brought up is because it is Burfict. This stuff happens in every game every week. 

If almost everyone is watching this objectively why is the overwhelming opinion that it was a dirty hit. There are some saying that it was unintentionally dirty. Then there are very few who are saying it's a clean hit.

Are they all butthurt pats fans?

Nothing to see here. Only reason this is being brought up is because it is Burfict. This stuff happens in every game every week. 
Uh yeah that's sort of the point.  The guy has a history of these types of hits and that has to hold some weight.  He's dirty.  

I for one am shocked shamrock pride and bronco billy are in here calling "much ado about nothing"... shocked. :lol:

Thankfully their voices on all things Patriots carry less weight, collectively, than Scientist's Seahawks musings. 

If almost everyone is watching this objectively why is the overwhelming opinion that it was a dirty hit. There are some saying that it was unintentionally dirty. Then there are very few who are saying it's a clean hit.

Are they all butthurt pats fans?
You've got two known pats trolls trolling... not sure why you're even humoring the discussion? Anyone with an opinion that matters saw what happened there... don't mind the noise coming from the basement ;)  

To be objective for a second, a receiver can not be touched past 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. They also cannot be tackled while the ball has/hasn't been thrown before the ball has been caught. They also cannot be hit in the head/neck area or at or below the knee area.

Ticked all of the boxes, three separate fouls, was unflagged cause officials are both bad and cannot see everything. Yes this happens every game, yes it's illegal every time - but unlike holding whether you accept it or not you are jeopardizing players careers, there's a reason the nfl is consistently removing chop/cut blocks from the game.

To be objective for a second, a receiver can not be touched past 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. They also cannot be tackler while the ball has/hasn't been thrown before the ball reaches/sails past to another receiver. They also cannot be hit in the head/neck area or at or below the knee area.
What rule is there pertaining to hitting a receiver at or below the knee area?

What rule is there pertaining to hitting a receiver at or below the knee area?
None that I know of.  There is one for the Q.B. in the pocket.

I believe Burfict is a dirty player.

I did not find this to be a particularly good example of what I believe about Burfict.  In fact, it is a bad example.  Had he hit him 6 inches lower, and had he changed his angle maybe 15 degrees or so from the outside in, yes, then dirty and intent to injure, but not with the actual contact point and angle of the hit.

Clearly a foul, but based upon him arriving early. 

Was this even flagged on the field? How are you going to suspend someone a lifetime if he wasnt even flagged on the field? 

To be objective for a second, a receiver can not be touched past 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. They also cannot be tackled while the ball has/hasn't been thrown before the ball has been caught. They also cannot be hit in the head/neck area or at or below the knee area.

Ticked all of the boxes, three separate fouls, was unflagged cause officials are both bad and cannot see everything. Yes this happens every game, yes it's illegal every time - but unlike holding whether you accept it or not you are jeopardizing players careers, there's a reason the nfl is consistently removing chop/cut blocks from the game.
a receiver can not be touched past 5 yards of the line of scrimmage - illegal contact, 5 yards

cannot be tackled while the ball has/hasn't been thrown before the ball has been caught - holding if the ball isn't catchable by the receiver in question, pass interference if not.

cannot be hit in the head/neck area - personal foul, but that's not what Burfict did here.

or at or below the knee area - (1) not what Burfict even did (2) no penalty, actually being passively encouraged by the NFL emphasis on not hitting high.

There is zero wrong with what Burfict did here.  Not a Bengals fan, and look forward to when Burfict is no longer allowed to play the game. 

Was this even flagged on the field? How are you going to suspend someone a lifetime if he wasnt even flagged on the field? 
Sometimes refs miss things on the field.  Not only should he be banned for this lifetime but he should be banned for any future reincarnated lives        :)

I did not find this to be a particularly good example of what I believe about Burfict.
Yes, the only rule I'm aware of on hits at or below the knee pertains to QBs in the pocket.

I also think Burfict is a dirty player but talk of a lifetime ban based on this play is ridiculous IMO.

There have always been, and will always be, players in the NFL who cross the line from aggressive to dirty.  Former Patritot Rodney Harrison was probably the dirtiest I can recall in recent years.

Sometimes refs miss things on the field.  Not only should he be banned for this lifetime but he should be banned for any future reincarnated lives        :)
There are too many Steeler/Pats fans on this board. 

Football is turning into a bunch of p*******. If Burfict played 20+ years ago, he would be everyone's favorite player. No wonder why NFL ratings are down. Your kid can go get his participation ribbon soon. 

I did not find this to be a particularly good example of what I believe about Burfict.  In fact, it is a bad example.  Had he hit him 6 inches lower, and had he changed his angle maybe 15 degrees or so from the outside in, or done both, yes, then dirty and intent to injure, but not with the actual contact point and angle of the hit.

Clearly a foul, but based upon him arriving early. 

Users who are viewing this thread