What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need help car insurance guys. (1 Viewer)

Weebs210

Footballguy
Was driving home after a wedding on the freeway when we came to a stop at a construction site. A lady 5 cars back slammed into the 5th car which by chain reaction eventually hit me as the last car involved. I filed my claim with my insurance company and have to wait for their investigation to finish. Should I file a claim with the car's insurance that hit me due to not having the proper spacing behind me? My claim investigator says it wouldn't hurt but didn't really sound like it would help. To top it off the lady who did the initial hit fled the scene without anyone getting her license plate. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think the car behind you is at fault for anything if they got forced into you. I'm trying to figure out how the person who caused the accident hit a car so hard that they moved 4 or 5 more cars and yet were able to get away. 

Was driving home after a wedding on the freeway when we came to a stop at a construction site. A lady 5 cars back slammed into the 5th car which by chain reaction eventually hit me as the last car involved. I filed my claim with my insurance company and have to wait for their investigation to finish. Should I file a claim with the car's insurance that hit me due to not having the proper spacing behind me? My claim investigator says it wouldn't hurt but didn't really sound like it would help. To top it off the lady who did the initial hit fled the scene without anyone getting her license plate. Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes, they are to blame due to negligence since they were stopped too close to your car.  Had they been further back they would not have hit your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the car behind you is at fault for anything if they got forced into you. I'm trying to figure out how the person who caused the accident hit a car so hard that they moved 4 or 5 more cars and yet were able to get away. 
Trust me on that it was ridiculous. I figured someone else closer would have gotten the license plate. I was the one to notice she was even gone as the furthest car away. Won't make that mistake again though. Next time I'm going to take a picture of the licence plate regardless of my positon. ..you live and you learn.

Trust me on that it was ridiculous. I figured someone else closer would have gotten the license plate. I was the one to notice she was even gone as the furthest car away. Won't make that mistake again though. Next time I'm going to take a picture of the licence plate regardless of my positon. ..you live and you learn.
do you have the CDL and Policy # of the person whose vehicle hit yours?

Yep. Gotta get out and just start taking pictures of everything. If you live in a semi built up area there should be cameras and license plate readers. 

do you have the CDL and Policy # of the person whose vehicle hit yours?
I took a picture of the license plate and his insurance card. I believe his name was taken down in the police report. I didn't get his driver's license though.

I took a picture of the license plate and his insurance car. I believe his name was taken down in the police report. I didn't get his driver's license though.
ok. if you haven't passed this info on to the adjuster for your insurance yet, do so. let them do the legwork and deal with the other insurance company(s) involved....it's why you pay you premium every month. 

it may take a while, but you should get sorted out. GL

Yes, they are to blame due to negligence since they were stopped too close to your car.  Had they been further back they would not have hit your car.
What exactly is the safe legal distance with stopped cars?

unfortunately, yea. be sure and submit anything and everything you have. I hit the car in front of me after I was rear ended and technically I was "at fault". However, the insurance companies fought it out, i never heard a word about anything and didn't have to pay anything. Thats the insurance companies job, to sort out all the stupid details. 

In my case, the guy who hit me 1st was still there and everyone got his info, your's is a little different. But I'm assuming all reps from each insurance company will get together and figure out how everyone gets paid. Being you were the last car in the chain most likely means you'll be covered 100% regardless. 

Yep. Gotta get out and just start taking pictures of everything. If you live in a semi built up area there should be cameras and license plate readers. 
Unfortunately not always, I got hit in a busy Beverly Hills intersection earlier this year, no traffic cameras anywhere. 

Enough that you do not do hit the car in front of you in a chain reaction crash.  One of those things in life that are not 'fair'.
not sure this is true if all the cars (except the one that caused the wreck to begin with) are stopped. 

Enough that you do not do hit the car in front of you in a chain reaction crash.  One of those things in life that are not 'fair'.
Do you need to calculate this space based on

-Street vs highway

-Mass of vehicles behind you (are they compact cars, semi's, etc?)

-Range of rate of speed vehicles behind you could hit you at

-Mass of original vehicle to start the chain reaction

Seems like a lot to calculate on the spot when needing to stop unexpectedly.

At the end of the day, the insurance company wants to get your car repaired on someone else's dime.  You risk nothing by filing a claim with the car's insurance that directly hit you so you might as well.  I doubt it goes anywhere since that car that directly hit you's insurance company will do the exact same thing.  The person who caused the initial accident is at fault and their insurance company should pay for all the repairs to all of the cars damaged. 

File only with your insurance company. You won't get double payment by making a claim to the other driver's insurer.

File only with your insurance company. You won't get double payment by making a claim to the other driver's insurer.
If he's in a no fault state, yes. If he's not this could potentially mean higher rates if his insurance company is too lazy to subrogate. 

Texas - You definitley want to make sure the guy behind you is turning this into his company. I would go ahead and call his company to see if he has started the process. If he hasn't you start it for him. If you file it under your Texas policy it will go under uninsured motorists which will result in a premium increase at your next renewal (unless you have forgiveness) and result in higher quotes if you shop with other companies. 

Texas - You definitley want to make sure the guy behind you is turning this into his company. I would go ahead and call his company to see if he has started the process. If he hasn't you start it for him. If you file it under your Texas policy it will go under uninsured motorists which will result in a premium increase at your next renewal (unless you have forgiveness) and result in higher quotes if you shop with other companies. 
I was afraid of the increase. Such bs as I had 0 fault. Thanks for the info.

Several years ago I was rear-ended on the highway after traffic came to an abrupt stop.  The truck behind me failed to stop until he hit me. I was pushed across the highway but managed to clip the car in front of me before doing so. 

My story to all insurance companies (mine, the car I hit, and the truck who hit me) was that I was stopped at the time I was hit. The driver of the car in front of me told his insurance company the same thing - he saw me stop in his rearview mirror and thought he was safe. 

His insurance company said that since I was stopped at the time I was hit, they were going after the driver of the truck and not me. 

WilliamBonney said:
doubtful that a Not-at-Fault accident would increase his rates at renewal. There are very few companies that surcharge for NAF accidents once you are on-board.

doubtful that a Not-at-Fault accident would increase his rates at renewal. There are very few companies that surcharge for NAF accidents once you are on-board.
It all depends on what state you live in. Texas, it will surely increase unless he has a forgivness policy. 

part of my job is pricing auto insurance in the state of Texas. i can't think of one company that surcharges for a Not-at-Fault accident that occurs after you already have a policy. in fact, i'm 99% certain that would be a violation of state law to directly surcharge for that (there are some possible exceptions if you are in what TX calls a "county mutual" company, which tends to cater to high-risk drivers anyway).

there are some that use them as a tiering criterion for new business, but even then you might not get put into a higher risk tier, depending on other elements.

part of my job is pricing auto insurance in the state of Texas. i can't think of one company that surcharges for a Not-at-Fault accident that occurs after you already have a policy. in fact, i'm 99% certain that would be a violation of state law to directly surcharge for that (there are some possible exceptions if you are in what TX calls a "county mutual" company, which tends to cater to high-risk drivers anyway).

there are some that use them as a tiering criterion for new business, but even then you might not get put into a higher risk tier, depending on other elements.
Ive been with this insurance company for 11 years and this is my first accident claimed. If they raised the rates on me I'd be pretty disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread