What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Parent Poll (1 Viewer)

Have you personally ever intentionally withheld a meal from a child for disciplinary reasons?

• Yes

Votes: 29 16.4%
  • No

Votes: 133 75.1%
  • Yesno

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • N/A

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Smoo

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters

Psychopav

Help us, Joebi-Wan Brynobi, you're our only ho
Sent my son to bed last night without dinner.  He flipped out and acted like I did something so horrible that I should never be allowed to parent again.

When I explained that it was a perfectly acceptable disciplinary method to withhold a single meal, he was shocked.  He doesn't believe me.

Am I out of touch? If so, can I blame Trump? Or Hillary? Or the left or right wing media? 

Ok, and why does "multiple choice" mean that the respondent may select more than one answer?  Where did these message board coders grow up, anyway? Communist China?  

Depends.  What was dinner?
I don't think that matters, but what my goofy family refers to as "white spaghetti".  IOW, spaghetti with just some butter and maybe parmesan.

He could have had decent food but that was his food of choice.

I don't think that matters, but what my goofy family refers to as "white spaghetti".  IOW, spaghetti with just some butter and maybe parmesan.

He could have had decent food but that was his food of choice.
Wait...you consider white spaghetti as decent food?  

I don't think it is morally objectionable, but it is pointless. There are literally a thousand other ways to make your point other than this.

Nope,  screw the kid.  No dinner until you shape up. Still hungry at 11:30? Too bad,  partner. Go to sleep and eat a big breakfast tomorrow. 

Yes,  I've been there. 

How is withholding food going to make the situation better?  My kids are cranky when they are hungry. Force feeding seems like a better idea. 

Who are you, David Duke ... "White spaghetti"

Sounds like more of a blessing than a punishment.

Dad had his belt, Mom had her spoon, seemed to work for them.

How is withholding food going to make the situation better?  My kids are cranky when they are hungry. Force feeding seems like a better idea. 
It's a power play.  You show the kid that he's either going to do things your way or be ends up going hungry for a night. If you cede power at this point,  he will always have it. 

I've done it many times to many different kids. It usually happens because the acted up so badly I would have sent them to bed for it but it was before dinner instead of after. I sent one to bed with no dinner last week because he got up to the table and said "this is disgusting" about the dinner (homemade beef vegetable soup. It was not disgusting) 

Great parenting moment coming up when you show the kid 64% of FFA says it's not morally objectionable and 11% voted Smoo.

Depends.  What was dinner?

He could have had decent food but that was his food of 

Wait...you consider white spaghetti as decent food?  
Absolutely not. My point was that he could also have had decent food, but he chose white spaghetti instead (before the discipline kicked in).

I put them in front of the TV and put on Nancy Grace until they start bleeding from the ears.

Agree with Courtjester, don't see the point in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do use food as a reward sometimes though.

Older son is almost 4, loves hibachi more than anything - he'd eat that #### 7 nights a week if I'd let him.

When he does something really well, teacher says how good he did in school, does something nice for his baby brother, etc. I'll take him there.

Great parenting moment coming up when you show the kid 64% of FFA says it's not morally objectionable and 11% voted Smoo.
As a non-parent I voted Smoo. As I child I was occasionally sent to be bed before supper. It sucked, I lived. So I don't find it morally objectionable but I will say it was more a nuisance than a punishment as I recall.

I for one look forward to the follow up thread where his son spends the night at a black friend's house and asks "say, you got any White Spaghetti to eat".

True.  Hindsight is 20/20 my friend.
Hey, I don't question your parenting skills at all. Each kid is unique and responds to things differently.

I have two petite girls (now 12-17) and growing up hell, we had to force feed these kids because they just didn't eat. My 17 year old has danced pointe/ballet for 13 years and probably weighs 105 pounds soaking wet--sending her to bed without food wouldn't have phased her at all. 

So if this makes an impact--go for it, but in this P/C world (like was said above) just be careful your son doesn't go to school saying my parents never feed me. 

What'd the child do anyways?
Does it make a difference? 

Just trying to gauge what no dinner equals in terms of punishment.
He was being disrespectful to his mother and me.  Refused to acknowledge us, then became extremely rude and belligerent when he was called out on it.  It escalated - not the proudest moment I had as a dad but things continued to mount as his blatant disrespect increased.  Yelling at me, refused to eat in the same room as us.

Ultimately, he took his bowl and went outside to his car to eat, just walked out.  I called him back, laid into him for being ungrateful and took his food away (I had already taken the phone away and I'm sure that was the point of no return).

You know what? Just came up with a scenario where this is a solid punishment:

If your kid is like 13-14 and stoned out of his mind, no food/munchies - starve the little ####er.

Hey, I don't question your parenting skills at all. Each kid is unique and responds to things differently.

I have two petite girls (now 12-17) and growing up hell, we had to force feed these kids because they just didn't eat. My 17 year old has danced pointe/ballet for 13 years and probably weighs 105 pounds soaking wet--sending her to bed without food wouldn't have phased her at all. 

So if this makes an impact--go for it, but in this P/C world (like was said above) just be careful your son doesn't go to school saying my parents never feed me. 
Oh I'd say it made an impact.  He lost it, and was floored when I said it wasn't an entirely unheard of punishment.

Wait, he has a car, but you took away his spaghetti??? I mean White Spaghetti???

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one look forward to the follow up thread where his son spends the night at a black friend's house and asks "say, you got any White Spaghetti to eat".
I'm kind of surprised no one has heard of this. I had a friend whose mom wasn't particularly momish and when i stayed over there this was what we made for ourselves. And that's what they called it.

If my mom had really known what that house was like. We used to leave late at night and ride our bikes a few miles to the beach. We made whatever we ate unless we had luck dumpster diving for bottles to turn in. Sometimes we would come up with 4-5 bucks worth. In the early 70s that was big bucks we lived like kings on those days.

Of course back then no cell phones, no beepers, totally off the leash . Mom kicked you out the front door as soon as you finished breakfast and didn't expect to see you before dinner. Kids today are missing out.

Sorry for the tangent.

Users who are viewing this thread