What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maurice Clarett's workout today (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
Maurice Clarett's workout is today.Any updates or info on it please post here.Also, feel free to use this thread to discuss Maurice Clarett's future at the next level.

Quick question for discussion's sake..REALISTICALLY, what type of numbers would Clarett need to put up today to move him into the 1st round? Or, is it past the point of any type of numbers helping his case, and there is basically nothing he could do today to make a team use a 1st rounder on him because of the risk involved with him with attitude, durability concerns, etc..?

REALISTICALLY, what type of numbers would Clarett need to put up today to move him into the 1st round?
1. (Most important) - Show up "in shape", or at his playing weight.2. A Sub 4.55 combined with a knock out short-shuttle time would get him near, if not completely in, the 1st round. Many people liken Clarrett to a strong power back. "Strong Power backs" who turn out to be quick/fast are very exciting to NFL teams.3. He would further help his case by benching 225 20 times. I think such a strength display (that compares favorably to other RBs in this draft) would help quell some of the worries that his body isn't "NFL strong" even though thats probably more of a fan concern then a scout concern.4. Reread #1.My numbers are sort-of arbitrary, as a quality workout and a 4.65 might still do the trick, but you asked and my answer offers what I think is a reasonable response. We shall see what happens...EDIT: My point is this: On his BEST DAYS, He is a first round RB. Today he needs to give teams a reason to think his best days are consistant and he has the mindset/maturity to deliver each and every time he's asked. His off-field troubles and showing up fat in the off-season have undone a lot. TOday is obviously a big day for him.HERD

Last edited by a moderator:
This article seems to point toward the NFL winning this case?

Apr 5, 2004, 08:31

NFL - Playing A Big Joke On Players

Patrick Kinmartin, Daily Trojan (U. Southern California) - [FULL ARTICLE]

I've seen some whoppers in my day, tying the geek's shoelaces together, spiking the punch at prom, super-gluing quarters to the ground, but nothing can compare to the fast one the United States judicial system is about to pull on Maurice Clarett and former University of Southern California WR Mike Williams.
Lets not get into this discussion in this thread...this is covered in many other areas on this board.Let's ASSUME that Clarett will be eligible and keep the discussion geared towards that.

Personally, I agree with herd on his analysis, but to really open some eyes, his 40 time needs to be sub 4.5 otherwise he may just be another above average back. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Personally, I agree with herd on his analysis, but to really open some eyes, his 40 time needs to be sub 4.5 otherwise he may just be another above average back. I guess we'll know soon enough.
What time is his workout?

I really can't see him making a jump all the way to round 1. A great workout gets him up to mid 2nd round. BTW I think he will be a very good pro, but it won't happen for a couple of years, and it is hard to wait on 1st round picks. (Not that it doesn't happen sometimes) They make too much money and there are not many teams that don't need to use the 1st rounders to fill holes. I really can't see him ready to play in the passing game any time soon.

NFL Personnel people likely have 3 major concerns about Clarett:

#1 Maturity: He did not help himself when he showed up out of shape at the combine, and suggested that he might not have the work ethic necessary to become a quality NFL starter. Even if he shows up in great shape and puts on a good show and says everything NFL people want to hear, I don't think this maturity question can really be effectively dismissed before the draft. His age, legal questions, the pending lawsuit, and having only played 1 college season will hurt him come draft day compared to where he would go if those weren't factors.

#2 Durability: Despite being a power back at OSU, he got dinged up somewhat frequently and scouts/personnel people have good reason to question whether he could hold up in the NFL for a full season as the starter. It is darn near impossible for him to quell this concern by running and working out, so I don't think there's any chance he goes in round 1 based on this issue alone.

#3 Speed: Clarett is a great inside-the-tackles runner, but it is uncertain if he has good speed to get outside and take it the distance when he gets out in the open. If he runs a sub-4.6 time, then I think he'll get strong consideration in round 2. If he ran a sub 4.5 time, then I'd say he's a mortal lock for round 2, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I have heard that he ran in the 4.65 range and was not that impressive in his workout today. No link, so you will just have to take my word for it until it hits the major sites.

Clarett (5-11 3/8, 230) ran three 40s for times of 4.58, 4.62 and 4.63. He also ran the 10 three times for 1.61, 1.64 and 1.65. He added 19 reps, a 36½-inch vertical, a 9-5 long jump, a 4.30 short shuttle and a 7.17 three-cone drill.

Not fantastic.

Clarett (5-11 3/8, 230) ran three 40s for times of 4.58, 4.62 and 4.63. He also ran the 10 three times for 1.61, 1.64 and 1.65. He added 19 reps, a 36½-inch vertical, a 9-5 long jump, a 4.30 short shuttle and a 7.17 three-cone drill.
The short-shuttle and 3-cone are similar to Cedric Cobbs (4.30 and 7.06)The bench is one more then Kevin Jones.The 40s are quicker then Jones although I doubt anyone thinks he's as fast as KJ. His 4.61 average is similar to Greg Jones, although Jones SS and 3-cone were better, as were his other measurables.HERD

Those stats look pretty good to me. I still have issue with his charactor and durability....

For comparison sakes of other top RB's workout numbers:

Height/Weight:

~ Kevin Jones: 5-11.5, 224 lbs

~ Greg Jones: 6-1.25, 249 lbs.

~ Chris Perry: 5-11.75, 220 lbs.

~ Steven Jackson: 6-2, 231 lbs.

~ Maurice Clarett: 5-11.4, 230 lbs.

40 yard dash:

~ Kevin Jones: 4.51

~ Steven Jackson: 4.55

~ Chris Perry: 4.56

~ Maurice Clarett: 4.58

~ Greg Jones: 4.62

3 cone drill:

~ Kevin Jones: 6.90

~ Chris Perry: 7.02

~ Greg Jones: 7.03

~ Steven Jackson: 7.03

~ Maurice Clarett: 7.17

Short Shuttle:

~ Kevin Jones: 4.04

~ Chris Perry: 4.08

~ Steven Jackson: 4.09

~ Greg Jones: 4.13

~ Maurice Clarett: 4.30

Long Jump:

~ Kevin Jones: 10-6

~ Chris Perry: 10-4

~ Greg Jones: 9-11

~ Steven Jackson: 9-10

~ Maurice Clarett: 9-5

Vertical Jump:

~ Greg Jones: 38.5:

~ Steven Jackson: 37.5"

~ Kevin Jones: 37"

~ Maurice Clarett: 36.5"

~ Chris Perry: 34"

Bench Press:

~ Greg Jones: 23 reps

~ Maurice Clarett: 19 reps

~ Kevin Jones: 18 reps

~ Steven Jackson: 16 reps

~ Chris Perry: didn't lift

This is about what I expected from Clarett. It won't hurt or help his stock. No one was under the impression that he had breakaway speed. My guess is someone will take him in the late second-late third range where his upside outweighs the risk.

Given that the Ohio State surface is notorious for being an extremely fast surface, I'd almost be inclined to add a tenth of a second to any of his workout times. Early 3rd round, IMHO.

Pooling the workout info:

S Jackson (6-2, 231) 4.55-40 ss-4.09 3c-7.09 VJ 37.5 LJ 9-10 16 reps

C Perry (5-11.75, 220) 4.56-40 SS-4.08 3C-7.02 VJ 34.5 LJ 10-4 no bench

G Jones (6-1.25, 249) 4.62-4.65-40 ss-4.13 3c-7.03 VJ 38.5 LJ 9-11 23 reps

K Jones (5-11.6, 224) 4.51-40 ss-4.04 3c-6.90 VJ 37 LJ 10-6 xx reps

M Clarrett (5-11.3, 230) 4.58-4.63-40 ss-4.30 3c-7.17 VJ 36.5 LJ9-5 19 reps

Other Notables

C. Cobbs (6-0.1, 232) 4.5-4.65-40 ss4.30 3c-7.06 VJxx LJ10-5 24 reps

T. Bell (5-11, 213) 4.37-40 used combine #'s VJ 38.5 25 reps

M. Moore (5-10.5, 208) 4.61-40 combine #'s?

R. Works (5-11.75, 216) 4.52-40 ss-4.07 3c-6.90 VJ 36 LJ 10-0 20 reps

M. Turner (5-10.25, 232) combine #'s ?

Q. Wilson (5-9.25, 221) 4.66-40 ss-4.34 3c-7.06 VJ 35 LJ 10-4 no bench

C. Farmer (5-11.5, 227) 4.73-40 ss-4.48 3c-7.27 VJxx LJ10-5 18 reps

R. Carthon (5-11.3, 215) 4.47-40 ss-4.3 3c-7.05 VJ 37.5 LJ 9-6 xx reps

J. Jones (5-9.8, 214) stood on combine #'s

B. Miree (5-11.8, 226) 4.6-40 ss-4.48 3c-7.29 VJ 32 LV 10-1 24 reps

D. Knight (5-8.6, 204) 4.65-40 ss-4.21 3c-7.20 VJ 33 LJ 9-10 18 reps

C. Murray (5-10.4, 191) 4.55-40 ss-4.13 3c-6.75 VJ 34.5 LJ 10-0 14 reps

Clarett's measurables are right in the mix with the rest of the backs. Not stellar at anything, but not horrible either. His off the field issues and lack of playing time will keep him out of the first RD.

For comparison sakes of other top RB's workout numbers:

Height/Weight:

~ Kevin Jones: 5-11.5, 224 lbs

~ Greg Jones: 6-1.25, 249 lbs.

~ Chris Perry: 5-11.75, 220 lbs.

~ Steven Jackson: 6-2, 231 lbs.

~ Maurice Clarett: 5-11.4, 230 lbs.

40 yard dash:

~ Kevin Jones: 4.51

~ Steven Jackson: 4.55

~ Chris Perry: 4.56

~ Maurice Clarett: 4.58

~ Greg Jones: 4.62

3 cone drill:

~ Kevin Jones: 6.90

Short Shuttle:

Long Jump:

Vertical Jump:

~ Greg Jones: 38.5:

~ Steven Jackson: 37.5"

~ Kevin Jones: 37"

~ Maurice Clarett: 36.5"

~ Chris Perry: 34"

Bench Press:

~ Greg Jones: 23 reps

~ Maurice Clarett: 19 reps

~ Kevin Jones: 18 reps

~ Steven Jackson: 16 reps

~ Chris Perry: didn't lift
3 cone drill:~ Kevin Jones: 6.90

Short Shuttle:

Long Jump:

Considering Clarett has MAJOR personality issues, very little experience, maturity issues, injury questions (can he stand up for a season) already, I would think his measurables would have to really be something to help his case at this point.

Not a fast 40 time and flat out poor (in comparison) numbers above, especially the cone and shuttle. All this on a "very fast" surface.

So now Clarett looks like he is an immature possibly injurt prone me first player with a history of issues who is not fast and performed worse than all the other top competition in the most important aspects of short speed burst and agility.

Ouch.

As much as I hate to admit this, put me down as one who will see Clarett succeed in the pros.So much of the running back position is instinctive and the ability to 'see' holes develop. The fact that Clarett was able to step right in as a freshman and succeed speaks volume for me.But he does have character issues; are these the same as Lawerence Phillips, Randy Moss or Warren Sapp? I am not sure.Does he lack some gifts as far as speed and quickness; sure he does.But I saw an undersized Darrin Nelson and Tony Dorsett excel between the tackles. And I have seen a Terrell Davis and Emmit Smith excel without great speed. As muchas I would like to count Maurice Clarett out, I cannot do it yet. But I would like to see him fall on his face if that counts for anything.

I'm gonna say he'll fail at the NFL level. Not because of talent, but because of his attitude. The KID does not deserve a shot at the NFL right now. :rant: :no:

I bet Gamble slips in the draft. As for Clarett IMO he will go in the second because of the on field ability he has shown. The physical abilities arn't stellar but his intangibles of patience, vision and on-field strength/speed should be enough to at least put him in the low second.

As much as I hate to admit this, put me down as one who will see Clarett succeed in the pros.So much of the running back position is instinctive and the ability to 'see' holes develop. The fact that Clarett was able to step right in as a freshman and succeed speaks volume for me.But he does have character issues; are these the same as Lawerence Phillips, Randy Moss or Warren Sapp? I am not sure.Does he lack some gifts as far as speed and quickness; sure he does.But I saw an undersized Darrin Nelson and Tony Dorsett excel between the tackles. And I have seen a Terrell Davis and Emmit Smith excel without great speed. As muchas I would like to count Maurice Clarett out, I cannot do it yet. But I would like to see him fall on his face if that counts for anything.
Agreed. He is a risky pick in NFL and FF but he could pay off big or he could bust. A major, major candidate for boom/bust pick.

FROM ESPN

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- On a day when it might have been easier to tunnel into Fort Knox than to have gained access to the football complex, Ohio State tailback Maurice Clarett likely earned himself a little more gold in the 2004 draft, turning in a solid performance in his first full-scale audition for NFL scouts.

Clarett, who looked to be in better shape than some skeptics had predicted, was clocked in the mid- to high-4.5s, according to the consensus of three scouts in attendance. One of the three scouts said he timed the former Buckeyes star at 4.54. A fourth scout clocked a slower time, in the low 4.6s.

Those times are certainly as good as, if not better, than those of the prospects considered as the top four tailbacks in the 2004 draft. Those four backs -- Steven Jackson (Oregon State), Kevin Jones (Virginia Tech), Chris Perry (Michigan) and Greg Jones (Florida State) -- all ran between 4.53-4.62. Kevin Jones' time was disappointing enough in his first "pro day" workout, that he convened a second audition.

"He answered some questions, for sure, and he's probably a first-day guy now," said one scout from an AFC team. "He moved better than I thought he would and he had a better change of direction than I had seen on tape. Plus he caught the ball well. I could see him maybe going in the second (round) now. Probably no worse than the third (round)."

With their pick in the 2nd round, Denver selects M Clarrett, RB

From the same ESPN Link above:

One team that does not want to be identified had a private audition with Clarett last week, ESPN.com learned, and was impressed by his performance. Clarett did not run a 40-yard sprint in that private workout, but was said to be generally more athletic than expected.
I wonder how Maurice liked Denver in the spring?After seeing that, I'm almost sure I think I think Shanny has been eyeing Clarett since the Portis trade.

From the same ESPN Link above:I wonder how Maurice liked Denver in the spring?After seeing that, I'm almost sure I think I think Shanny has been eyeing Clarett since the Portis trade.
Everyone is on Denvers balls saying how they need an RB but they have enough guys to carry the load. My sleeper guess is that it was New England or not so sleeper Oakland.P.S. Don't take the tone of the message the wrong way. I just think it's not Denver. No offense to those who do.

Clarett will be a 2nd rounder with those numbers. He has been out of football for quite a while, so his measurables will only get better as he gets into football shape.And anyone who says that he should already be in football shape is nuts. He wasn't allowed to play football last year (there is no way to get into actual football shape without playing), was going through tons of legal issues, ect.Those numbers are actually quite impressive considering what he has been put through this past year. He showed me a lot of character by being able to keep his head up during the unfair media onslaught he has had to deal with.Thumps up for Clarett and I can't wait to watch him excel at the next level.It's refreshing to see a kid who doesn't beat his girlfriends, keeps clean from drugs, etc get a chance to succeed despite being made out to be the devil by the media. He's a saint compared to many NFL players.

Clarett will be a 2nd rounder with those numbers. He has been out of football for quite a while, so his measurables will only get better as he gets into football shape.And anyone who says that he should already be in football shape is nuts. He wasn't allowed to play football last year (there is no way to get into actual football shape without playing), was going through tons of legal issues, ect.Those numbers are actually quite impressive considering what he has been put through this past year. He showed me a lot of character by being able to keep his head up during the unfair media onslaught he has had to deal with.Thumps up for Clarett and I can't wait to watch him excel at the next level.It's refreshing to see a kid who doesn't beat his girlfriends, keeps clean from drugs, etc get a chance to succeed despite being made out to be the devil by the media. He's a saint compared to many NFL players.
I think you are right on with this. Many people forget that he is still a kid. Many kids make poor judgements while in college. In fact, Clarett may have more character than many who judge him on this board. In any case, he desrves a chance, just like anyone else does, to prove if he can make the NFL. Good luck to Maurice!

Everyone is on Denvers balls saying how they need an RB but they have enough guys to carry the load. My sleeper guess is that it was New England or not so sleeper Oakland.P.S. Don't take the tone of the message the wrong way. I just think it's not Denver. No offense to those who do.
Never believed Denver NEEDED a RB as Mike A could of carried the load. But with the Hearst signing (for ONLY 1 year i might add) and the use of Mike as a FB, I dont see why with their 2x 2nd picks they dont take him to groom him for a year. Makes the most logical sense, plus with Shanny's pension for "look at me and my RB know how..."

Never believed Denver NEEDED a RB as Mike A could of carried the load. But with the Hearst signing (for ONLY 1 year i might add) and the use of Mike as a FB, I dont see why with their 2x 2nd picks they dont take him to groom him for a year. Makes the most logical sense, plus with Shanny's pension for "look at me and my RB know how..."
I was pointing out you specificly anyway. I also believe Mike A can carry the load with Hearst and Griffin. I believe it would make more sense to select a back in the third or 4th. Don't forget that Shanny has told Mike A to get ready to play RB not FB and Droughns looks like he'll start at FB. Defense is probably a bigger need for them right now.

I don't see Clarett as a good fit for Denver. Denver's system needs a back to have great cut back ability. I see Clarett as much more of a straight line runner.

I was pointing out you specificly anyway. I also believe Mike A can carry the load with Hearst and Griffin. I believe it would make more sense to select a back in the third or 4th. Don't forget that Shanny has told Mike A to get ready to play RB not FB and Droughns looks like he'll start at FB. Defense is probably a bigger need for them right now.
you were pointing out me specifically?? what did i ever do to you?!?! :P Yeah Shanny told Mike to be ready then signed Hearst, so who knows whats up there. I am not disagreeing with you but with Den getting Wash's 2nd rounder I can see them grabbing Clarrett.Just a feeling.

I don't see Clarett as a good fit for Denver. Denver's system needs a back to have great cut back ability. I see Clarett as much more of a straight line runner.
Just a question, since I dont remember, but did Mike have great cutback ability?I think Clarrett can be fine in that. Give him a year behind Hearst and Mike and in 2005 he takes off.

Just a question, since I dont remember, but did Mike have great cutback ability?I think Clarrett can be fine in that. Give him a year behind Hearst and Mike and in 2005 he takes off.
Clarett's a straight line runner?Again most people who negatively judge Clarett did not see him play much. He can do alot more than just run straight ahead.

Clarett's a straight line runner?Again most people who negatively judge Clarett did not see him play much. He can do alot more than just run straight ahead.
I didnt say it, just wondering why a straight line runner couldnt succeed in Den. I think Clarrett is a great fit there. With a year to win the job and learn he could be great

This post is about to reek of media conspiracy but after observing the "Clarett-drama," of the last couple of years, I'm inclined to believe Clarett has been an easy target of the media. Has Clarett earned some of the negative coverage? Of course he did...Clarett got caught engaging in activities that is all too prevalent in college sports and he deserved to be punished for it. At the same time the media, fans, and university wanted to make a huge example of Clarett for all the ills of college sports that preceded his indiscretions. Then throw in the fact that Clarett challenges the NFL and most of the media businesses (and they are businesses first and foremost nowadays) are going to side with the organization that helps them put food on the table. If Clarett were a squeaky-clean, super student with an ethical cause to stand up for, then we would be seeing this wonderful underdog takes on the corporate giant story plastered everywhere. But Clarett was a highly touted athlete with an entourage and already friends with another precocious, teenage, pro athlete in LeBron James. Once Clarett started getting into things that plague so many top division I athletic programs, his rep would never be protected. I believe this has made it easy for the media to take an overly negative view of Clarett. As a football player Clarett displayed an unusual amount of poise and maturity on the field. This is a true freshman that helped lead his team to a National Championship. He made some gritty, intelligent football plays against an excellent defense in the ultimate game. And when Clarett got hurt during the season, I didn't see any of the other backs step up. This tells me that what I saw in Clarett--vision, burst, good hands, excellent finishing power, and high football IQ/instincts--wasn't because he had an awesome line in front of him. Another polarizing figure in this entire saga is Jim Brown. Take Jim Brown's well-publicized domestic issues for what they are, but the man has always had a good eye for young talent. When the media and fans were talking about O.J. Simpson and Franco Harris, Brown was extolling the game of Walter Payton--well before Payton approached Brown's record. Brown had befriended Ricky Williams--sure Williams is a unique personality--but he's an intelligent man with a ton of football talent that has carried the Dolphins on his back for 2 seasons. Brown volunteered his time to Clarett when things started to spin out of control. What I've seen as a result is a maturation process occuring during that time. Not to say Clarett isn't going to make any more mistakes, but every move he makes is going to be highly scrutinized. Although Sean Taylor can walk into a workout out of shape and perform poorly (and if he chose to, have a bad attitude to boot) and still maintain top 10 status because all the coaches need to see is on 4 years of game film, Clarett doesn't have the luxury. As a result, Clarett comes to the combine to at least make a good step toward doing the right thing and his scrutinized top to bottom about his weight and answers to questions. This is to be expected, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily fair to him for what he's done. It's just that he took on a huge instutition no one wants to be on the wrong side of--especially in the media. Check out Clarett's chat interview transcript on the ESPN site (don't have the link but it's with that chat host called "Buzz?" ...Sean Taylor was also on the chat). Clarett had to face some pretty immature folks and some tough questions. He handled himself well. To sum it up, Clarett has been in the fire early: 1. Freshman starter for a Big Ten team.2. Helps team win one of the best National Championship games ever. 3. Gets in an academic trouble. 4. Gets in legal trouble. 5. Gets suspended6. Takes on the most powerful business in sports and at least temporarily wins. What were/are some of you experiencing at 19-20 years of age? That's a lot, whether he deserved a lot of the notoriety (positive and negative) or not. So from my perspective, Clarett's workout is a good sign that the kid has gone through the worst of it once all the legal issues are settled and will make an impact as an RB. I don't mind others avoiding him. I just might get him at a great price....

Interesting info guys, thanks. I'd think that a good spot for Mau to go would be 3rd round unless some team (like NE who has a lot of picks) might take him late 2nd.

diesel, sure he is but he also could bring in BIG things to New England. They have the best chance to take the earliest risk since they have the picks.

Users who are viewing this thread