What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Davis, BAL (1 Viewer)

LawFitz

Footballguy
What do we know about this guy?

5'9'' 217 bowling ball who can catch, plays in the Chip offense and is likely going to get his first NFL opportunity to start this coming weekend. Here's a roto blurb from preseason:

49ers second-year RB Mike Davis rushed five times for 72 yards and caught two balls for 17 yards in Sunday night's preseason opener.
Davis was the 49ers' No. 3 back, behind Carlos Hyde and Shaun Draughn and ahead of DuJuan Harris and rookie Kelvin Taylor. Davis ran downhill with burst and decisiveness, a far cry from the completely ineffective rookie we saw in 2015. A fourth-round pick just a year ago, Davis has become a forgotten man in fantasy football circles. He's someone to consider rostering in deep Dynasty leagues behind Hyde, who has been injured regularly in his first two NFL seasons. Journeyman Draughn turns 29 later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he's the #2 back now. Just picked him up a few minutes ago. I like what I've seen from him even though it's a small sample size.

Tex

Measurables:

Combine Results

Pro Day Results

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5091
Weight: 217
40 Yrd Dash: 4.61
20 Yrd Dash: 2.68
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 7.00

Dates: 04/01/15 
Height: 5091
Weight: 217
40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62

NFL.com draft profile:

OVERVIEW

In 2014, was 18 yards shy of becoming second in school history with back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. Suffered through nagging injuries for much of the year and did not start in the season opener against Texas A&M. Had career-high 183 yards and 3 touchdowns against Kentucky. Named second-team All-SEC in 2013 finishing with 1,183 yards rushing (fourth most in school history). Had seven games with 100-plus yards rushing. In 2012, saw action late in the year after gruesome knee injury to then-starter Marcus Lattimore. Was U.S. Army All-American in high school. Younger brother of former Clemson running back James Davis.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.52 seconds 
Vertical jump: 35 1/2 inches

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Compact frame with plus balance as a runner. Keeps feet moving in traffic and can pinball from defender to defender. Uses spin move effectively to avoid the hit and keep running. Will duck head and accelerate behind his pads with force to finish his runs. Downhill runner near the end zone with adequate push to grind out the extra half yard needed. Creates separation to the perimeter with quality stiff arm and showed surprising top-end speed to hit the long run in 2013. Gets adequate separation out of backfield and can convert the catch into a first down. Capable in pass protection with understanding of protections.

WEAKNESSES

Has some hip tightness, which limits his lateral movement. Won't make defender miss with wiggle or juke, and struggles to create when his track is closed. Will duck his head prematurely heading into hole at times, and briefly loses his vision and feel for the hole, often running into the backs of blockers. Showed substantially more juice as a runner in 2013. Conditioning looked off and he was sluggish to the perimeter and through the line of scrimmage in 2014. Relatively ineffective toward end of the year. The 2014 tape shows energy lacking for Davis compared to 2013.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 4

SOURCES TELL US

"Not the same guy (in 2014). I think he had a rib injury early, but that's not what bothers me. You look at Alshon's conditioning, Clowney's last year and now Davis? He's got talent, but he can't just half-step and think he's going to make our league." -- NFC South scout

NFL COMPARISON

Alfred Morris

BOTTOM LINE

Rhythm runner who is at his best when he's getting plenty of work. Davis has a surprising ability to turn on the jets and get on top of the secondary quickly for long runs, and his north-south mentality is a fit for the pros. With an ability to play on third down as well, the only thing holding Davis back is conditioning. Davis won't make too many defenders miss, so he can't afford to lose the corner speed he showed in 2013. Davis can be a very capable NFL backup with the potential to become a starter.

I think Waldman, when he wrote him up for the RSP, expected that, if he got the chance, he would challenge Hyde for the starter gig

Also concerning with Hyde is once he gets dinged it is always downhill from there. The last 2 years it starts with one thing and cascades to another then done for the year

I was expecting Draughn to do more than he has thus far this year even with Hyde healthy. He hasn't.

Quite possible that Davis has passed him on the depth chart. it looks that way based on the snap counts from most recent game.

C Hyde RB 32 52%
M Davis RB 24 snaps 39%  5 rushing attempts 13 yards 2.6 ypc 3 targets 1 reception 6 yards 16 snaps special teams 48%
S Draughn RB 5 snaps 8% 1 rushing attempt 2 yards 1 target

He is playing a lot of special teams, so if his role increased on offense, they would likely want to cut those snaps down.

I don't really like the Alfred Morris comparison, although I am sure that is meant as a compliment, because Mike Davis was more involved in the passing game than Morris has been. 34 receptions in 2013 and 32 receptions in 2014. It has been awhile, but I did like what I saw of him in the cuts ups I watched of some of his games. 

College stats

I found his rookie season to be disappointing and so haven't expected much, but there may have been an injury holding him back last season. He did do better in preseason this year than last year.

Shockingly, he has not been claimed yet in my league. The guys who owns Hyde is 6-0, but it's smoke and mirrors--he has the lowest Ttl Pts Against. I only have one droppable player right now and was considering going with Kenneth Dixon in the off-chance down the road he takes the job from West. Can't say I like Davis' schedule in the foreseeable future.

What will Davis need to do in this game to take Hydes job?
What he's got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of Hyde's leg right at the bottom. He'll never play again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

Curious who people are playing M. Davis over. 

Right now playing over Booker, L. Murray, D. Washington.

Don't feel confident at ALL.

I really only have Derrick Henry or Smallwood or Dixon for a flex spot with bye weeks and injuries, so I'm gonna try Davis on a one week rental. Probably wouldn't bother otherwise

What he's got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of Hyde's leg right at the bottom. He'll never play again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.
That is one way to go about it!

Mike Davis is back ... signed to the active roster off the practice squad.

There's opportunity here for someone to do something.  Rawls looks awful.  Lacy is fat and hurt (and likewise looks poor).  Prosise is hurt again.

I thought Davis looked pretty solid in the preseason, and he's just 25.

This could be interesting - you could argue he was their most impressive runner along with Carson in preseason. Lacy isn't much of an obstacle.

Mike Davis is back ... signed to the active roster off the practice squad.

There's opportunity here for someone to do something.  Rawls looks awful.  Lacy is fat and hurt (and likewise looks poor).  Prosise is hurt again.

I thought Davis looked pretty solid in the preseason, and he's just 25.
3-21 to start the game. Call it fresh legs, but he’s got some juice. 

For the last time stop posting about picking up a Sea RB everyone.  The lead back is Russel Wilson.  End of story.  Move on.
JD McKissic may have value by default here. He clearly is not legit starting RB but he is a good receiver and now with only Rawls and Lacy left (assuming Davis is out - which looks like the case) Mckissic should see a lot of snaps and have some value especially in PPR leagues. The thing is with Rawls and Lacy you almost know for sure if they are in the game that the Seahawks are running. With McKissic you can at least keep defensing guessing. Unless Seattle is winning games handily then I think McKissic will see 50%+ of the snaps.

Then again maybe they sign someone of the scrap heap and make him the starting RB. 

In dynasty leagues, I'd hold unless you need the roster spot.  Davis looked pretty good to my untrained eyes.  Got hurt, which sucks ... hopefully it's minor.

Per Carroll (via Rotoworld) Davis will play next week.  Worth a ROS flyer, or not worth the mess that is SEA running game?  Leaning towards taking a shot for possible playoff longshot ticket.  Other opinions.......?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10378/mike-davis

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Mike Davis (groin) will play Week 13 against the Eagles.

Carroll is notoriously optimistic about injuries, but it is at the very least good there is some optimism after Davis failed to practice at all this week. If Davis is able to come back, he should immediately take back over as the starter after Eddie Lacy predictably struggled to create much against the 49ers. That makes Davis worth an add in most leagues. Nov 26 - 8:24 PM

I still think he'll be in a committee with McKissic. Davis made a couple of nice plays in the passing game vs the Falcons but overall I think he is more the early down back and McKissic the passing down back. I don't like him at all vs Philadelphia because I don't think Seattle's D will slow down the Eagles at all and the Eagles are tough to run against. I would fade Davis in that game even if he does start.

Looked very impressive last night. Might be very valuable down the stretch as he seems to have assumed control of the backfield and Carroll seems re-committed to pounding the ball and taking some pressure off Wilson.

As a Davis owner in a dynasty where I'm rebuilding and was able to add him for free I liked what I saw last night, if he keeps it up he should have a chance at the starting job next year. 

Bad part about that is I have Carson in my other main dynasty league and was thinking he would be the starter. 

I only got to see highlights/little clips of Carson and I liked what I saw but I do think I like Davis a little more. Vision seemed about the same but Davis looked like he had a little more agility and quickness. With lacy and Rawls being FAs Seattle can go into next season with Davis, Carson, mckissic and prosise. None of those are big names and the 2018 draft could be deep at RB so there's a chance they take someone higher but I don't see them adding anyone other then another late round guy because they need the money at other positions and they have 3 cheap guys that have all shown to be decent and should get better with an offseason with first team reps. I'd give Davis the slight edge right now over carson

As a Davis owner in a dynasty where I'm rebuilding and was able to add him for free I liked what I saw last night, if he keeps it up he should have a chance at the starting job next year. 

Bad part about that is I have Carson in my other main dynasty league and was thinking he would be the starter. 

I only got to see highlights/little clips of Carson and I liked what I saw but I do think I like Davis a little more. Vision seemed about the same but Davis looked like he had a little more agility and quickness. With lacy and Rawls being FAs Seattle can go into next season with Davis, Carson, mckissic and prosise. None of those are big names and the 2018 draft could be deep at RB so there's a chance they take someone higher but I don't see them adding anyone other then another late round guy because they need the money at other positions and they have 3 cheap guys that have all shown to be decent and should get better with an offseason with first team reps. I'd give Davis the slight edge right now over carson
A lot of this depends on health, and on Carson's recovery.  It's easy to say he'll come back 100%, but Rawls is clearly not the same guy he was before suffering a very similar injury.

Oddly enough, last night, IMO, was the best Davis has looked since his sophomore year at South Carolina when he looked like one of the best backs in the country.  His NFL Draft Profile page had a quote from an NFC South scout that I found interesting (and completely plausible):

Not the same guy (in 2014). I think he had a rib injury early, but that's not what bothers me. You look at Alshon's conditioning, Clowney's last year and now Davis? He's got talent, but he can't just half-step and think he's going to make our league.
I'm not saying Davis got lazy as a junior, per se, but he fell in the draft.  Then he got drafted behind an established starter, gets cut after 2 regime changes.  Lands in Seattle with a fresh start, but another crowded backfield gets him cut again.  I think all that seriously motivated him to get back to the player he was in 2013 ... and that guy looked amazing. Quickness, shiftiness, power, speed, hands ... we just might have something here.

Users who are viewing this thread