What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hoopsguys - FBG ventures into NBA DFS (1 Viewer)

FWIW, Mike's "math preferred" (which ignores risk, ranges of probable outcomes, and subjectivity for the most part) comes in at 309 under his projections. 

Cleaning up on overlay in ticket contests.  Just entered one that was $2 for a $5 ticket with 5 of 14 spots getting a ticket.  Only filled to 7 and I put the same lineup in twice.  I think their policy is to give all ties a tickets so I should only have to beat one of five to get the tickets.

Cleaning up on overlay in ticket contests.  Just entered one that was $2 for a $5 ticket with 5 of 14 spots getting a ticket.  Only filled to 7 and I put the same lineup in twice.  I think their policy is to give all ties a tickets so I should only have to beat one of five to get the tickets.
I've got to pay attention to these. 

Crawford's 3 of 15 coupled with Brow's awful 1st half will be my undoing. I'm north of the cutline with McCollum and Turner going. Won't be enough barring something crazy happening.  Looks like 280 is probable and 290 is the top of the range of reasonableness. Gonna take 300 at least to cash tonight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
$36 in gpps, $35.60 out.  Unfortunately burned my best lineup of 363 on a mini shot.

$14 in on ticket contests, $31 back in tickets.

I've got to pay attention to these. 
Kind of torn on these.  Some of them are tickets to qualifiers for Mega and Super events so Fanduel is racking up rake 3 times.  Also chasing this stuff you risk missing super late breaking news.

As an example of the former, I've got 7 tickets tonight in a 2016 field event ($7 entry) for 12 tickets to a Mega.  Pretty slim odds for a ticket that will have pretty slim odds of cashing.

Crawford's 3 of 15 coupled with Brow's awful 1st half will be my undoing. I'm north of the cutline with McCollum and Turner going. Won't be enough barring something crazy happening.  Looks like 280 is probable and 290 is the top of the range of reasonableness. Gonna take 300 at least to cash tonight. 
Yesterday I had $15 in, $35 out. But I faded Brow as I spent up on a Cousins, who was in a great matchup, and playing without Rudy Gay, so he gets a bump inbusage. I paired him with Butler and Rose and made for an easy cash night. 

Ive been taking Dodds theory for football and trying to apply it to NBA.  By building 2-3 lineups per night, around different stars, then entering them in 50/50, Dbl, Trip, Quint, and 100PL. You only need one roster to hit to profit.

Yesterday I had $15 in, $35 out. But I faded Brow as I spent up on a Cousins, who was in a great matchup, and playing without Rudy Gay, so he gets a bump inbusage. I paired him with Butler and Rose and made for an easy cash night. 

Ive been taking Dodds theory for football and trying to apply it to NBA.  By building 2-3 lineups per night, around different stars, then entering them in 50/50, Dbl, Trip, Quint, and 100PL. You only need one roster to hit to profit.
On big slates when I have time I do this. My issue is that hour before opening tip. It's tough for me to make last second changes on one lineup during the week, let alone 2-3.

Last night I looked at Boogie but really liked Gasol's matchup. He was fine, as was 6/8ths of the rest of my lineup. I absolutely wanted Rose and Wall @ PG too. I was also all-in on MKG. I thought Crawford was a low ceiling/high floor play. Brow was just a luxury item b/c I had the cash to spend. I could have survived one of those 2 turds, just not both. 

Kind of torn on these.  Some of them are tickets to qualifiers for Mega and Super events so Fanduel is racking up rake 3 times.  Also chasing this stuff you risk missing super late breaking news.

As an example of the former, I've got 7 tickets tonight in a 2016 field event ($7 entry) for 12 tickets to a Mega.  Pretty slim odds for a ticket that will have pretty slim odds of cashing.
I default to avoiding satellites. I like to win when I win, not get the chance to win later when I win.

Thay said, if you can effectively remove the take on that satellite, then you're getting a +EV play from the get-go. 

What are you into those 7 tickets for? $1 each? The Mega pays out top 20% right? Just a standard GPP, no?

Looking at tonight, I really like Lowry and DMDR assuming no issues on the back side of a b2b. I also like Gasol a ton. MKG is going to be in any lineup I build w/ Belinelli out. I would like to work Batum in as well, but don't see how I can unless I use him instead of DMDR. 

Big night last night

$47 in $377 out

Main LU goes for 359.1 and that was with Crawford getting me just under 11 points.  Other LUs went for 325.7, 320.9, 311 and 313.3

Worst LU went for 290 and got nothing

Looking at tonight, I really like Lowry and DMDR assuming no issues on the back side of a b2b. I also like Gasol a ton. MKG is going to be in any lineup I build w/ Belinelli out. I would like to work Batum in as well, but don't see how I can unless I use him instead of DMDR. 
Why not?

Decent cash LU

Lowry,DAng,Deroz,Batum,MKG,Hayward,Favors,MarvWill,MGasol

Earlier in the tread I said I tried the DFS hoops content and gave up on it because I had a really bad run initially.  However, I'm a degenerate I guess and need the action so I came back and I've won 3 nights in a row.  I only play about $5 per night and only play single entry GPPs... but last night I came in 2nd and 8th in separated ~300 person GPPs and ~50th in a larger single entry GPP... so last night was $3 in and ~$35 out.

I still don't know anything about NBA DFS but the content recently has been good enough for me to win anyway.  Thanks Basketball guys!

I start getting pinched really tight w/ Lowry, Gasol, DMDR, and Batum. Even w/ MKG that leaves me $22,900 for 4 spots. Plus, I like Irving assuming he plays. My 3rd PG choice is DWill I think. The real cheap PG options aren't palatable to me -- Mack is dead to me.  

This is what I have right now, but it depends on Irving's status:

Lowry/Irving 

DMDR/Allen

MKG/Barnes

Randle/Saric (I really dislike Saric for cash tho)

Gasol 

Decent cash LU

Lowry,DAng,Deroz,Batum,MKG,Hayward,Favors,MarvWill,MGasol
Favors definitely interests me. If I could find the $500 I need to go from Saric to him, I'd make that switch w/o hesitation. Might be a 2 cash lineup for me tonight. 

@Chaos CommishI'm taking my kids to their 1st hoops game tonight. Just an OVC tilt, but I hope they'll get excited about it. 

Kicking the tires on this for my cash 2. I'm thinking Favors in some GPP plays:

Lowry/DWill

Batum/DMDR

MKG/Barnes

ZBo/Love

Nog 

Yea but since Mack is not an option the PG position was pretty limited getting all of you preferred players in the LU
Gotcha. I wasn't tracking. I thought that was your lineup  

I think I'm stuck w/ 2 LUs if I want all my preferred cash guys. It's ok since I like Love's matchup w/ Boston and Nog seems like an intriguing upside gamble at C. I like Marvin too, but I can't see playing 3 Horbobnetcats against Miami in cash. 

Doing GPPs and 100 player leagues only tonight

West, Bled, Hood,NPowll,TJW,MKG,Love,MarvWill,White

Lowry, Walk,Deroz,NPowll,LB,Haywatd,Favors,Marv,Oakafr

West, Walker, Hood,NPowll,MKG,Barns,Love,Marv,Gasol

West, Walker, Hood,NPowll,Hayward,Barns,Marv,Fav,White

Doing GPPs and 100 player leagues only tonight

West, Bled, Hood,NPowll,TJW,MKG,Love,MarvWill,White

Lowry, Walk,Deroz,NPowll,LB,Haywatd,Favors,Marv,Oakafr

West, Walker, Hood,NPowll,MKG,Barns,Love,Marv,Gasol

West, Walker, Hood,NPowll,Hayward,Barns,Marv,Fav,White
Feeling it on Powell?

Should I be worried about Toronto curb-stomping Pho and resting guys on the backside of a b2b? I guess I should be worried about it, but how much?

Here's what I have for cash:

Irving/Lowry

Powell/Allen

MKG/Barnes

Love/Randle

Gasol

And:

Lowry/DWill

DMDR/Powell

MKG/LBJ

Love/ZBo

Nog

That's 4 Raptors in that 2nd one for cash. 

Nine darts for me tonight at the mega satellite. Vande dropped two of those nine on me really late in the day. I wonder how many people didn't get A lineup in

As a newbie trying to learn this game and what I am doing - what stats/sites should I be looking at.   I seriously don't know if I have had more than 3 LUs cash in the last 2 weeks.  Just throwing stuff in $1 contests (I am on DK) as I learn, but it's been really ugly so far. 

As a newbie trying to learn this game and what I am doing - what stats/sites should I be looking at.   I seriously don't know if I have had more than 3 LUs cash in the last 2 weeks.  Just throwing stuff in $1 contests (I am on DK) as I learn, but it's been really ugly so far. 
Rotogrinders is probably the best of the free ones and has an active thread on their forum each slate. They have some great free tools to use for those not wishing to pay up for a service like FantasyLabs yet. Their DvP cheat sheet might be a good starting point if you're a bit lost, if for nothing more than to get a bit of a visual of which teams suck/dominate. 

Speaking of FantasyLabs, be sure to open up a tab with @FantasyLabsNBA twitter while you're setting lineups each day and check each time something new pops up (late outs leading to hidden gems etc).

Hope that helps a bit mate.

Rotogrinders is probably the best of the free ones and has an active thread on their forum each slate. They have some great free tools to use for those not wishing to pay up for a service like FantasyLabs yet. Their DvP cheat sheet might be a good starting point if you're a bit lost, if for nothing more than to get a bit of a visual of which teams suck/dominate. 

Speaking of FantasyLabs, be sure to open up a tab with @FantasyLabsNBA twitter while you're setting lineups each day and check each time something new pops up (late outs leading to hidden gems etc).

Hope that helps a bit mate.
RG also has a pretty decent little app too. It's not perfect, but it gives good info, player statuses, etc. 

That garbage-time FT from Randle was pretty lucrative for me. Pushed me from 2nd to 1st in a 100-man league. My #1 cash hit 306.2, which was strong on last night's slate. My #2 broke even (hit all 50/50's and most doubles, nothing else). Overall 2.33 units in 5.94 units and 0.9 units worth of tickets out. I needed that. I had a brutal stretch there for a couple weeks. 

That garbage-time FT from Randle was pretty lucrative for me. Pushed me from 2nd to 1st in a 100-man league. My #1 cash hit 306.2, which was strong on last night's slate. My #2 broke even (hit all 50/50's and most doubles, nothing else). Overall 2.33 units in 5.94 units and 0.9 units worth of tickets out. I needed that. I had a brutal stretch there for a couple weeks. 
Congrats. 

I struggled getting any lineup to 260. $80 in and $6 out although$63 of that was tickets I had maybe $15 in

Congrats. 

I struggled getting any lineup to 260. $80 in and $6 out although$63 of that was tickets I had maybe $15 in
Thanks. 

I've never had a handle on how to best account for tickets. Are they cash winnings worth their "face value" when won, then new wagers when played? Or do you carry all of it forward until those tickets are played/resolved?

If it's the former, I won 6.84 units on 2.33 units wagered, and will have to include the value of those tickets into my wagers when they are played. If it's the latter, I won 5.94 units on 2 units wagered, with 0.33 units of wagers rolling forward to be included when those tickets are played.

I think the right way is the latter, but that complicates my simple system of accounting a bit. Not a big deal with my current scope of tickets, but it could get complicated if I start having a bunch of tickets to track over multiple levels of satellite. 

I've got a $5 ticket tonight in a 1764-player satellite for 5 $1500 tickets to the 1/2 Alley Oop. Believe me when I say I would much rather have the $1500 if I somehow finish in the top 5 tonight. Finishing in the top 0.28% should be super-easy. 

Thanks. 

I've never had a handle on how to best account for tickets. Are they cash winnings worth their "face value" when won, then new wagers when played? Or do you carry all of it forward until those tickets are played/resolved?

If it's the former, I won 6.84 units on 2.33 units wagered, and will have to include the value of those tickets into my wagers when they are played. If it's the latter, I won 5.94 units on 2 units wagered, with 0.33 units of wagers rolling forward to be included when those tickets are played.

I think the right way is the latter, but that complicates my simple system of accounting a bit. Not a big deal with my current scope of tickets, but it could get complicated if I start having a bunch of tickets to track over multiple levels of satellite. 

I've got a $5 ticket tonight in a 1764-player satellite for 5 $1500 tickets to the 1/2 Alley Oop. Believe me when I say I would much rather have the $1500 if I somehow finish in the top 5 tonight. Finishing in the top 0.28% should be super-easy. 
I've got 7 of these tickets and would trade them for $49

Users who are viewing this thread