What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Fiedorowicz - TE, HOU - anything to see here? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
Searched and didn't see a thread on this guy.  I know very little but see he is starting to light up the stat line and Osweiler and coaches are talking him up.  What's the deal with this kid?  He was the 1st pick in the 3rd rd of his draft class.  That's pretty high.  Is he a good dynasty prospect?  I picked him up on the cheap today but it was based solely on him being a body that is catching some passes.  But the more I dig the more it looks like there could be something here.  

Does Osweiler have a history of throwing to the TE in college and last year in Den?  He certainly seems to love throwing to them now in Houston.  What about BOB?  Do his offenses typically make good use of the TE?  Does anyone know history of this kid from college?  Was he a beast?  

Saw this on NFL.com predraft scouting report: 

OVERVIEW

2013: First-team All-Big Ten. Finished season with career-high six touchdowns. 2012: Honorable mention All-Big Ten selection. Started all 12 games. 2011: Played in all 13 games and made five starts. 2010: Played in all 13 games.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Has outstanding size and big hands. Has size to widen the hole or seal defensive ends. Good balance and body control for his size. Surprising lower-body flexibility to sink his hips to run sharp-angle routes. Has stature and enough speed to threaten the seam. Understands how to use his frame and physicality to create subtle separation. Makes athletic hands catches off his frame. Sizable catch radius. Shows toughness and concentration in traffic. Lowers his shoulder to deliver a blow after the catch. Can line up in-line or split out. Smart and durable.

WEAKNESSES

Builds to average speed. Fairly straight-linish athlete. Not elusive after the catch. Can improve as a move blocker and develop more of a mean streak to finish blocks. Average production. Could stand to adopt a more blue-collar work ethic when people aren?t watching -- is not a self-starter and has been able to cruise on his rare size and natural ability.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE

Big-framed, linear and dependable, Fiedorowicz looks the part and has balanced skills to be a legitimate ?Y? tight end in the pros. Is an asset as a competitive blocker and as a sure-handed receiver. Will be in demand in a relatively thin tight ends class.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/c.j.-fiedorowicz?id=2543721 

Picked him up a couple of weeks ago. I got tired of waiting for Griffin to turn into something and I think Fiedorowicz stole his job. He's not sexy or a seam splitter, but HOU doesn't need that from its TEs. With their WRs the TE is going to get single coverage, and he's too big for most LBs and SSs to handle alone. 

I like that he's a true 3 down TE. He blocks abd catches well. TEs that don't come off the field and have this kind of talent on the outside ought to be pretty solid. 

I am going to try to add him to my roster tonight.  Looks to be pretty good and he has been getting a fair amount of targets. 

He's splitting time with Griffin, and they both have been seeing a decent amount of targets. CJF happened to score a couple times recently.

Not sure if you are joking about BOB. He was the OC in NE the year Gronk and Hernandez had their best seasons in 2011. So yeah, he knows how to get TEs involved. 

That being said, the Houston TEs aren't Gronk or Hernandez and Brock isn't Brady, but there still should be some opportunities in HOU. 

How do you rate him over other surging but hard to predict TEs like Brate, Doyle or Zach Miller? Or highly rated TEs in preseason like Julius Thomas who just simply haven't shown up this season?

He's splitting time with Griffin, and they both have been seeing a decent amount of targets. CJF happened to score a couple times recently.

Not sure if you are joking about BOB. He was the OC in NE the year Gronk and Hernandez had their best seasons in 2011. So yeah, he knows how to get TEs involved. 

That being said, the Houston TEs aren't Gronk or Hernandez and Brock isn't Brady, but there still should be some opportunities in HOU. 
Totally forgot that about BOB!  My bad!

Scooped him up a couple nights ago.  Really liked what I saw of him this weekend, and like the trend line in his stats.  He reminded me a lot of Gronk in the way he moved up the seam.  

He and Doyle are 1A and 1B on the WW this week. I happened to get CJ last week for Reed and he did great for me. But Doyle may be at least as good going forward.

He has been productive lately.   He is a bit if a post hype sleeper and is still young.  I grabbed him last week in a few leagues and just got him off waiver bids in the rest.   I went about 15% in dynasty as he is worth the roster spot in case he keeps it up.   The waiver wire for TEs in my leagues is a wasteland.   The targets have been there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When he was coming out I remember reading that some were comparing to Gronk and that he was a poor man's version and how O'Brian loved him when they drafted him in the 3rd round.  He's more of a sneaky athlete than people give him credit for.  

I actually drafted him in the 4th in 2014 hoping for a real quick hit, he's been on the waivers ever since and I'm lucky to own him again though.  He's a great stash for the future and might even close this season as a top15 TE.  

I picked him up last night and will suck up that tough matchup this week as his schedule coming out of the bye (including the playoffs) looks to be very favorable.

He's going to go off tonight against Denver.  I think this guy is a potential dynasty steal if he's unowned right now...  He is talented, and his production is at the point where he has to prove he is not worth owning right now.  

He's going to go off tonight against Denver.  I think this guy is a potential dynasty steal if he's unowned right now...  He is talented, and his production is at the point where he has to prove he is not worth owning right now.  
I can see that in a tough matchup where Miller and Hopkins are keyed upon. Unfortunately, if he does go off, everybody will be watching and it will be impossible to get him if you're down the totem pole in waivers next week.

Yeah agreed,  I would grab him now if you can.   Especially in dynasty... He was drafted late in rookie drafts a few years ago and was a good prospect.   Tight ends usually take a while. 

Yeah agreed,  I would grab him now if you can.   Especially in dynasty... He was drafted late in rookie drafts a few years ago and was a good prospect.   Tight ends usually take a while. 
Unfortunately, gotta wait until Thursday. :kicksrock:

Hoping for a 2-20 game and he stays under the radar. 

I'm all in.  I need a whopping 7 points.  A TD pass from the 10 and we're good.  

But yeah, I'd like to see him go bananas and put on a clinic instead.

I assumed rational coaching.  I guess O'Brien decided to try to win the hard way against Denver's strengths? 

Maybe they adjust at halftime. 

I'm watching CJF for a potential FA claim. From what I read, he was drafted to pass block but earning some praise for receiving ability. 

I haven't watched Osweiler too much in the past but it sure looks like he locks on to one target and doesn't go through his progressions very well. There have been quite a few throws into double or triple coverage where he hasn't even looked to the other side of the field (a couple of those times CJ has looked wide open). 

For those that have seen him more than me is this an Osweiler thing? Or is this more of a gameplan thing to get rid of the ball quickly so as to neutralize the Denver pass rush? If it's the former I worry about the targets CJ is going to see moving forward.

He's also not getting the snaps on the pure passing situations.   I'll probably hold for one more week to see what happens.   Nobody On their offense did anything today. 

Tied for team lead in catches and 1 yard behind Hopkins in yards tonight! :excited:

With massive bye weeks, gonna hope horrible Osweiler can do something against a horrible Lions D at home in Week 8.

In my 16-team league with a WR/TE flex, debating between him and Russell Shepard for my WW claim. I'm kind of leaning toward CJ because of the favorable match-up and seemingly more of a guaranteed role. He seems to have put Griffin in his rearview mirror.

78.8 grade on PFF, 9th TE just behind Delanie Walker (79.0) and ahead of Jordan Reed (76.4).

He has steadily progressed since his rookie year (47.1 --> 66.6 --> 78.8) and has outperformed Griffin (45.6).

Not sure about his redraft value but in a Dynasty this is the right time to buy him cheap.

Yeah he is a good real life player, the fantasy aspect could come.   Griffin seemed to get the snaps when they spread the field but CJ got the rest.   CJ snaps have been trending up all year, and he actually salvaged the night relative to the rest of that offense. 

Been playing musical TEs all year.  Holding CJ as the targets are still there and he had those several good weeks.

Beats that massive pile of crap Ertz

As someone who has only seen one Texans game (vs Denver), why is anyone high on CJF if everyone is so low on Hopkins? 

They both have the same terrible QB throwing rocks at the back of their heads, so what value do they really have if their talent remains untapped by ogre-handed Oz?

As someone who has only seen one Texans game (vs Denver), why is anyone high on CJF if everyone is so low on Hopkins? 

They both have the same terrible QB throwing rocks at the back of their heads, so what value do they really have if their talent remains untapped by ogre-handed Oz?
It's at least easier to complete off the mark throws closer to the line of scrimmage than off the mark throws down the field. And defenses are clearly keying on Hopkins (and Miller), daring Osweiler to beat them elsewhere.

It's at least easier to complete off the mark throws closer to the line of scrimmage than off the mark throws down the field. And defenses are clearly keying on Hopkins (and Miller), daring Osweiler to beat them elsewhere.
Yes, seems like every time I see a BO stat cited, it's like he's 2 for 12 on passes over 15 yards.

I like him this week a lot.  20 targets last 3 weeks, looks like he has chemistry with Osweiller.....vs DET...TE friendly.

I like him this week a lot.  20 targets last 3 weeks, looks like he has chemistry with Osweiller.....vs DET...TE friendly.
:goodposting:

I have him and Reed and i might just play Fiedorowitz this week even if Reed is cleared to play... maybe not :unsure:

Got him off the WW, then realized that at the same time, someone had dropped Eifert.

I actually think CJ is a better play this week, but since I'm a heavy favorite I put in a claim for Eifert; I'm weak at TE and would rather have him ROS. Still, if someone else beats me to Eifert, I'll be fine rolling with CJ.

Couldn't have a better matchup.   Detroit cannot defend the TE at all.  Starting over Bennett,  Fleener and Barnidge. 

Users who are viewing this thread