What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the GB running back going forward? (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
Lacy's injury sounds like it might be fairly serious and with Starks out for weeks,my question is who is the guy to own in GB?

I can't see wr's Montgomery and Cobb be the man. Nor do I see Don Jackson (a practice squad player) being the man. Does that mean that going forward Knile Davis is going to be the rb to own in GB? They did give up a pick to get him no matter how limited most of us think he is.

Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on in the GB backfield?

This week it looks like a possible 4 headed timeshare between Davis, Montgomery, Cobb and Jackson.  If Davis or Jackson has a hot hand I'd bet on them going forward. If no one has a hot hand I'd bet on Davis until Lacy/Starks come back. Cobb is a great play as a WR with the extra touches. I'm not high on Montgomery since he is designated as a WR and there are better WR/flex options out there. 

Very curious to see how Don Jackson does. I know the team just traded for Davis, but we've seen him struggle before in a very run-friendly system.

Jackson is an unknown, but he wouldn't be the first guy to come out of nowhere and shine.

What is the scouting report on  Don Jackson. Anyone know his game? Knile Davis is not good at football, and Montgomery is not a RB. Is he the best long term pickup for a season long view?

This is a fork in the road...with three options.  Pick one and pray you got the right one.  Nobody will be certain about anything until it plays out tonight and the week after.  After 10 days off btwn games, Davis should be up to speed next week.  Ty Montgomery would be my guess to play a Riddick type role tonight, which could be valuable.  They only guy I'd consider playing tonight would be Monty

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the Packers have an open spot?  If so, Id keep an ear open for Jhurell Pressley..  Im totally buying Kniles.  But if your not?  Id think it wise to watch for a Pressley signing

If only there were threads discussing this... 

GB will deploy a RBBC that will feature Knile Davis as the rushing RB and Montgomery as the fantasy relevant running back in a Riddick-type role

Do the Packers have an open spot?  If so, Id keep an ear open for Jhurell Pressley..  Im totally buying Kniles.  But if your not?  Id think it wise to watch for a Pressley signing
No. They do not. Lacy to IR freed up Jackson from the PS. 

They will go with Davis and Montgomery until Starks comes back and then we will see how the backfield is doing before even talking about Starks taking over. 

Lacy's injury sounds like it might be fairly serious and with Starks out for weeks,my question is who is the guy to own in GB?

I can't see wr's Montgomery and Cobb be the man. Nor do I see Don Jackson (a practice squad player) being the man. Does that mean that going forward Knile Davis is going to be the rb to own in GB? They did give up a pick to get him no matter how limited most of us think he is.

Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on in the GB backfield?
People that picked up Jackson will say "Jackson". People the picked up Davis will say "Davis". The real answer is no one knows yet. Pick one up and hope.

No. They do not. Lacy to IR freed up Jackson from the PS. 

They will go with Davis and Montgomery until Starks comes back and then we will see how the backfield is doing before even talking about Starks taking over. 
Don Jackson doesn't even get a shot? He'll get 10-15 touches tonight.

Don Jackson doesn't even get a shot? He'll get 10-15 touches tonight.
Tonight. The thread asks about "going forward." Jackson is not going to be fantasy relevant "going forward" once Davis is up to speed. 

If we want to talk about tonight, Montgomery has already been reported as getting the majority of the looks at RB tonight. But yes, if you are looking for someone other than Montgomery then Jackson would get some action tonight. More looks if GB is up by a lot. Depends on game script

Tonight. The thread asks about "going forward." Jackson is not going to be fantasy relevant "going forward" once Davis is up to speed. 

If we want to talk about tonight, Montgomery has already been reported as getting the majority of the looks at RB tonight. 
I think you assume a lot regarding Davis. Didn't give up much to get him even (already) knowing that Lacy was in a bad place.

If they were looking for a starter one would guess they would have made a play for West (or even Charles).

I think you assume a lot regarding Davis. Didn't give up much to get him even (already) knowing that Lacy was in a bad place.

If they were looking for a starter one would guess they would have made a play for West (or even Charles).
Since when does price equal talent?

How is Trent Richardson doing? I mean, by your logic since the Colts gave up a 1st round pick he should be "stacking pro bowls on top of pro bowls."

Oakland Raiders got a 4th rounder for Randy Moss from NE... I guess that was kind of a wash huh? 

This trade makes sense if you're a packer fan and you've had to deal with Ted Thompson for the last several years. He doesn't trade draft picks. And when he does it's usually turned out quite well. Davis was 4th string on his team, probably borderline to be cut. KC is getting something for no one. This trade made way too much sense for both players. Maybe they did try to go for West but KC wanted a higher draft pick than TT was willing to cut loose? Who knows. But to say because they gave up a low round draft pick that he's worthless is pretty bogus logic

You think a RB drafted just 3 seasons ago in the third round is not as valuable as a guy who went undrafted and was signed onto the practice squad? Okay. Your logic is completely backwards... they gave up not a whole lot to get him so they must value a guy who was never even drafted better? 

edit: if anything, them going out to TRADE for a RB shows they want him specifically and they don't feel good about their current players. If they wanted a warm body they could have signed someone off a PS (Karlos Williams perhaps), or signed a FA. But they went out and traded for him. They aren't going to trade for him and not use him. That's not TT's way of doing things

On the bright side   It looks like there is several options   This post is "going forward"   (It appears there is already  a DFS post)  Think were interested in whose starting and or commanding the most carrys in a few weeks.  Basically we have Davis, who could fumble his way back to the bn.  We have an unknown Jackson, who could run thw show!  As long as the Pack doesnt use a wildcard (known value)  Think ya gotta figure we have the Don Jackson show until Starks is ready to go

Latest reports are Jackson is going to start and get featured tonight, which, if true would give him the first crack at taking this job. Maybe he flops. Or maybe he runs with it and relegates Davis and Ty to backup duty. He seems to have the tools to be a 3 down RB in this offense, assuming he can pass block (huge assumption).

FTR - in one league where I could use RB help, I've rostered Jax and Knile, but will start neither tonight.

In my other league where I have Arod, I snagged Ty and am contemplating starting him over Baldwin (@AZ) and (hamstrung) Pryor at WR3. Need to hear more reports that he's going to get extensive looks before I decide.

Latest reports are Jackson is going to start and get featured tonight, which, if true would give him the first crack at taking this job. Maybe he flops. Or maybe he runs with it and relegates Davis and Ty to backup duty. He seems to have the tools to be a 3 down RB in this offense, assuming he can pass block (huge assumption).
Huh?

tweet copied from rotoworld:

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky said WR Ty Montgomery "will get the majority of the running back reps" Thursday night against the Bears.
Montgomery was used heavily in the backfield even with Eddie Lacy (ankle) active last week. With Lacy out and newly-acquired Knile Davis working with the scout team as recently as Tuesday, Montgomery will get the vast majority of backfield work against the Bears. He is a great option in PPR leagues and should push for standard value as well.

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter
Oct 20 - 9:54 AM

Like this

It's sort of a guessing game so here is my guess.  You will see a fair amount of Montgomery in the backfield and catching swing passes if that is successful which it worked fairly well last week but let's not forget the Green Bay WR are also banged up so Montgomery will need to do some work there as well.  I think Don Jackson will have the most carries by a wide margin.  He is the only true RB that has been there long enough to have comfort with the playbook.  All this really means is that Jackson will have first crack at grabbing that job.  If Jackson fails to impress Knile Davis will have 10 days to get ready for their next game.

Dr. Brew said:
Huh?

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky said WR Ty Montgomery "will get the majority of the running back reps" Thursday night against the Bears.
Montgomery was used heavily in the backfield even with Eddie Lacy (ankle) active last week. With Lacy out and newly-acquired Knile Davis working with the scout team as recently as Tuesday, Montgomery will get the vast majority of backfield work against the Bears. He is a great option in PPR leagues and should push for standard value as well.

Like this

That may have been before Jackson was promoted. The writer doesn't even mention Jackson.

Dr. Brew said:
Huh?

Like this

NFL network was just reporting Jackson would start about half hour ago.  Fluid situation?

Of course this all hits after I dropped Davis for Gillislee as McCoy insurance.

I think they would like to get Davis up to speed and not this week...but next, he would be more inline for the bulk of the work.

What does that mean?  Well, I think there will still be a big split in carries with neither Jackson nor Davis getting enough to make them worth really starting unless in a big pinch.

Sprinkle in Cobb and Montgomery...and you have a full blown up RBBC where it makes Ty startable (Cobb already startable) and neither of the other two worth starting.  But worth having one of them I guess.

So no, since I dropped Davis and he is on waivers...I picked up Jackson when dropping Lacy today.  On the off chance he actually does well tonight and earns a bigger chunk than I would expect.

I may actually make a speculative add of Starks instead anyway...I think he will get more than the rest once he is back. (again...unless one of the other stands out for a few weeks)

It's on another thread somewhere but that was paraphrasing by Rotoworld from speculation by that ESPN reporter. There has since been a tweet from Rappaport or someone saying that Jackson will get the main load of carries tonight. 

Either way this is the most interesting Thursday night game so far this season for a number of reasons. 

That may have been before Jackson was promoted. The writer doesn't even mention Jackson.
It was known Jackson was going to be promoted if/when Lacy went IR. It was just a matter of formalities. 

Guess this situation is about as clear as mud and we won't know until tonight. 
Montgomery is the only one to play this week for fantasy without a doubt IMO

Dr. Brew said:
Huh?

Like this

From @steelwind -

Okay I just want to chime in and give my insight.  I was in the car listening to Rob Demovsky on Sirius XM Fantasy Football Next Level Fantasy show.  Of course rotoworld will take quotes out of context. What I heard Rob Demovsky say is that he doesn't really know since Knile was just signed and Don Jackson is still on the practice squad predicated by "I guess Ty Montgomery will get the majority of the RB reps".  There was a smirk in his voice and he sort of chuckled.  He never said per sources.  Now I don't know what this means for those who are Ty Montgomery owners but I just wanted to sprinkle in some actual facts knowing how Rotoworld's updates can sometimes be deceiving.

If you are a Sirius XM subscriber you can listen to this conversation again on Mike Clay's Next Level Fantasy show on the Fantasy Sports station.

Edited 2 hours ago by steelwind

In the short term, I suspect GB may go more NE style with more passing / dump offs that serve as a running game.

Either way this is the most interesting Thursday night game so far this season for a number of reasons. 
The speculation leading up to it is interesting. The actual game is likely to not be very interesting.

Not to change the subject, but all this talk about a ratings dive being tied to protests etc. I think that's all hogwash. I love football season and generally watch as many games as I can. But even a fan of football like myself hasn't been very tuned in to the primetime games. They've had awful matchups. Either there are 1 or both teams that are just not good, or other teams that are supposed to be good but struggling. Primtime games were meant to be exciting and that is definitely not what we've been getting. Week 1 wasn't bad except for that Rams/49ers game. Since the Jets/Bills game on TNF, the only primetime game that has been semi-interesting was the Falcons/Saints game and that wasn't all the exciting for me, it was more a disgusting display of no defense than anything.

2ksports said:
If the Packers just needed a warm body, there are plenty of RBs available in FA.

They specifically traded for Knile, a rare move for the Packers front office.  

If they felt they needed a backup for Ty Montgomery & Don Jackson, they don't need to trade a pick, no matter how late the round.  They can get a #3 RB on FA.

The way it will likely shake out ROS is Knile on rushing downs, and Ty on passing downs, with Don Jackson being pretty irrelevant.  

They didn't even activate Jackson last week when Lacy was hobbled.  

You can cite 3.3 YPC all you want, but this is a potential volume position on a team that will try to find balance in their offense or be in serious trouble of missing the playoffs.  
Best post on here regarding this scenario. Us Packer fans get it. 

Montgomery has a chance to create a Riddick-type role for himself, and I hope that happens as an owner, but I can completely see a scenario where he is moved back to WR. That happens when Davis learns the playbook, Starks is back, and Jackson is then demoted to 3rd string. 

People will see what they want to see with this scenario. I don't own Davis, but I can say he will likely be the guy. Starks isn't going to come back after knee surgery and suddenly be great. Jackson will need to drop some jaws in order to keep the job IMO. 

And if the Packers didn't think enough of Jackson to put him on the roster when they only had TWO running backs, and they were both banged up, what makes people think suddenly he's going to be the guy? 

Rotoworld is quoting from Ian Rapoport, who only said that Jackson would be the "main back". Not quite the same as starting.

I just added Don Jackson in both of my leagues. Total lottery ticket at this point. He's starting tonight - might earn the job. Stranger things have happened. 

NFL network just had quotes from McCarthy talking up Jackson and being "excited to finally see him play".

The talking heads talked about Jackson, Davis, Montgomery and Cobb.  Seemed like they believe it's going to be whoever earns the job, and Jackson obviously gets first crack at that tonight. 

Theyre all worth picking up until we see how it shakes out. 

I agree that long-term, Knile Davis has the best shot - they did trade to get him.

But that doesn't mean It's guaranteed. Maybe Don Jackson comes out hungry and earns the job. 

We'll find out tonight!   :excited:

Rotoworld is quoting from Ian Rapoport, who only said that Jackson would be the "main back". Not quite the same as starting.
Main back implies starting but if it isn't main back is still good for jackson owners

Fascinating situation. 

I can add my take but it's as valid as anyone's -- this is a true "who knows" situation.

Montgomery seems to be the safest ride in the short term (next 2 game), especially in PPR -- he knows the system, has been leaned in the running game, and will see opportunity as both Davis and Jackson get up to speed.

Long term, seems more probable Davis picks up the main back position -- despite the stats being thrown around on Davis, he's been solid in relief before. That's more than a litmus test for me -- the guy is proven.

Jackson could turn out to be stellar, but we haven't seen him in this role before -- for me, probability lies more with Davis than Jackson.

But who really knows? And that's the fun part.

As long as we're talking probability, wouldn't it be funny if the truly improbable happened: Starks coming back in three weeks and exploding?  

Fascinating situation. 

I can add my take but it's as valid as anyone's -- this is a true "who knows" situation.

Montgomery seems to be the safest ride in the short term (next 2 game), especially in PPR -- he knows the system, has been leaned in the running game, and will see opportunity as both Davis and Jackson get up to speed.

Long term, seems more probable Davis picks up the main back position -- despite the stats being thrown around on Davis, he's been solid in relief before. That's more than a litmus test for me -- the guy is proven.

Jackson could turn out to be stellar, but we haven't seen him in this role before -- for me, probability lies more with Davis than Jackson.

But who really knows? And that's the fun part.

As long as we're talking probability, wouldn't it be funny if the truly improbable happened: Starks coming back in three weeks and exploding?  
Well, Starks was playing pretty terrible football before the injury, so I'd suggest that would truly be the longest odds. 

One thing about Montgomery - NFL network spent some time quoting coaches (and Montgomery himself) about the 2 fumbles. Sounded like he's in the doghouse for it - another fumble and I'm skeptical that he'd keep getting touches. Trust is big and fumbles are very unpopular with coaches. 

That alone could lend to Jackson getting touches.

but I agree - this is a total crapshoot. 

If (and it's a big if) Jackson comes out and plays lights out tonight - pass protects, performs at a high level, gets yards after contact, shows patience. - thats gonna complicate things even more.

For Davis owners the best possible outcome tonight is that Jackson chokes and Montgomery fumbles again. 

If not, this could be a 3-headed monster until Starks comes back, and then you could truly have a mess with 4 players getting touches. 

There are a ton of possible outcomes - I'm fully prepared to drop Jackson like a chunk of moldy cheese if he sucks tonight, so while I have a share of this potential mess, I'm just shooting from the hip and make no predictions. I have none idea what to expect from Jackson. 

One thing about Montgomery - NFL network spent some time quoting coaches (and Montgomery himself) about the 2 fumbles. Sounded like he's in the doghouse for it - another fumble and I'm skeptical that he'd keep getting touches. Trust is big and fumbles are very unpopular with coaches. 
What did they expect from a WR who hasn't gotten many RB reps?

I think it's Davis. He was solid filling in for Charles a few years back. At the beginning of last season he was seen as a high end handcuff.  Charles goes down and suddenly we hear Reid likes West better because he can do all the things Charles did. Then Ware comes on and now Davis is 4th string. Maybe GB is a better system for him. The guy has some talent, we've seen it before. You have to think he offers the highest upside by miles. We know what Starks is. Jackson was cut prior to camp, i guess because he failed his physical? I think once Davis gets up to speed he gets the most carries.

Tonight I'd guess a mix of Montgomery and Jackson with Davis coming in only if Jackson completely face plants.

Best post on here regarding this scenario. Us Packer fans get it. 

Montgomery has a chance to create a Riddick-type role for himself, and I hope that happens as an owner, but I can completely see a scenario where he is moved back to WR. That happens when Davis learns the playbook, Starks is back, and Jackson is then demoted to 3rd string. 

People will see what they want to see with this scenario. I don't own Davis, but I can say he will likely be the guy. Starks isn't going to come back after knee surgery and suddenly be great. Jackson will need to drop some jaws in order to keep the job IMO. 

And if the Packers didn't think enough of Jackson to put him on the roster when they only had TWO running backs, and they were both banged up, what makes people think suddenly he's going to be the guy? 
This is a well though out post, but one thing I have learned is that sometimes the nameless, faceless guy with the first opp runs away with it. Right now that guy is Don Jackson. He will get the first crack (it appears). This is his big moment, regardless of what the coaches thought of him in relation to Lacy/Starks in the past is moot at this point. He has the first opp to show what he is and just might make the most of it and change the coaches opinion. It's happened before. I wouldn't write a guy off simply because the coaches didn't activate him. He might have no special teams skills. If he had special teams skills then he might have already been active all season. It might be more telling that they kept him around in spite of not having any special teams skills, simply for his rushing ability. Two ways to think about it. Anyway, here's your big chance, kid. His college tape makes him look to have adequate skillset for the position at least and his style is different than both Starks and Lacy in that he appears quicker (and smaller) so the chemistry of what he brings is different in rushing style. He might fit with the blocking. Who knows? He does appear to be able to create a little bit of wiggle and yardage on his own.

If he falls on his face we will definitely see Davis get his shot next week. If Don delivers we may not see much of Knile. It will be exciting to watch. Ty Montgomery could steal the show.

Users who are viewing this thread