What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2025 NBA Champion Philadelphia 76ers Thread*** - Still Processing (1 Viewer)

Didn't see the game as the Internet is shaky where Ive been this week but saw box score. Pretty disappointing but I guess we needed the streak to end eventually. Hope this wakes us up and we come out on fire for game 3. Joel back for sure?

Didn't see the game as the Internet is shaky where Ive been this week but saw box score. Pretty disappointing but I guess we needed the streak to end eventually. Hope this wakes us up and we come out on fire for game 3. Joel back for sure?
nothing definitive yet. with the game not until Thursday I doubt we know until tomorrow or maybe even Thursday. last I heard was he wasn't even fully practicing or running any 5-on-5s, so I would think the hope would be he would be doing some of that today. if he hasn't, I think the chances are slim for Thursday.

it was just a tough game last night. Miami played very physical, and it was the first time in a long time that they made Ben look like a rookie. they clogged the lanes, and played up on the 3 point line, so with the Sixers having limited offensive options it hurt. shooting under 20% from 3 is pretty much the reason they lost, but they had very few open shots. quite a few forced bad shots too. Miami just got them off their game, and what sank them was the 13 points in the 2nd Q. like @need2know said above, I was happy they showed resilience and fight to get back in it in the 2ns half, but Miami wasn't letting up

Game 3 will be telling. hopefully they get Embiid for it, but I assume if he is back they will have a little adjustment period for him, and he will be too hype to start. if the team hits high 30s, low 40s on their 3s they should win.

nothing definitive yet. with the game not until Thursday I doubt we know until tomorrow or maybe even Thursday. last I heard was he wasn't even fully practicing or running any 5-on-5s, so I would think the hope would be he would be doing some of that today. if he hasn't, I think the chances are slim for Thursday.

it was just a tough game last night. Miami played very physical, and it was the first time in a long time that they made Ben look like a rookie. they clogged the lanes, and played up on the 3 point line, so with the Sixers having limited offensive options it hurt. shooting under 20% from 3 is pretty much the reason they lost, but they had very few open shots. quite a few forced bad shots too. Miami just got them off their game, and what sank them was the 13 points in the 2nd Q. like @need2know said above, I was happy they showed resilience and fight to get back in it in the 2ns half, but Miami wasn't letting up

Game 3 will be telling. hopefully they get Embiid for it, but I assume if he is back they will have a little adjustment period for him, and he will be too hype to start. if the team hits high 30s, low 40s on their 3s they should win.
Nice, thanks for the synopsis. Game 1 was maybe too good to be true. Was the perfect game for me as the sixers won but Kelly still had an awesome game.  Didn't look like he played as much/as well in game 2 but his team got the win. 

Didn't realize such a long break until game 3. That's likely good for us. 

Nice, thanks for the synopsis. Game 1 was maybe too good to be true. Was the perfect game for me as the sixers won but Kelly still had an awesome game.  Didn't look like he played as much/as well in game 2 but his team got the win. 

Didn't realize such a long break until game 3. That's likely good for us. 
We shot like 65,% from three in game one

yuck, ugly 1st half. sloppy too. Heat are playing physical/dirty, interesting to see Brett's plan for the 2nd half
Saric Elbow to Olynk wasn't dirty? I've been calling for a teams to play the Sixers more tough. I just don't think they are a team who can handle physicality. 

We shot like 65,% from three in game one
That likely won't happen every game. They've relied too much on the 3 all year IMHO. They hit some questionable decision shots as well as hail Mary's that were made in game 1. THat's not gonna continue all series. Especially when Belinelli and Covington are streaky shooters and RoCov has a tendency to put up the bonehead shot. I was shaking my head at some of the shots he took last night. Basketball Shooting IQ come on. Props to them for fighting back but MIA wasn't haven't any of it. 

I've been telling people teams need to play the Sixers physical and I just didn't get why people didn't clog the lanes and play the 3Pt line. Especially when you know Simmons seems afraid to even take a jump shot. He really need some sort of jump shot. Even if he can consistently hit a mid range and maybe take an attempt or 2 from behind would really keep teams honest. Until they happens I'm still extremely suspect of Ben Simmons as an overall player. That and his Free Throw shooting. Don't understand why some of these guys don't go Barry at the Charity line. 

modogg said:
nothing definitive yet. with the game not until Thursday I doubt we know until tomorrow or maybe even Thursday. 
Supposedly the NBA rules say you have to make the declaration of status by 5 pm the day before a game, though it is unclear what penalties they can or would enforce in the event that the status changed after that.

DJackson10 said:
I've been telling people teams need to play the Sixers physical and I just didn't get why people didn't clog the lanes and play the 3Pt line. Especially when you know Simmons seems afraid to even take a jump shot. He really need some sort of jump shot. Even if he can consistently hit a mid range and maybe take an attempt or 2 from behind would really keep teams honest. Until they happens I'm still extremely suspect of Ben Simmons as an overall player. That and his Free Throw shooting. Don't understand why some of these guys don't go Barry at the Charity line. 
Sixers have this guy named Embiid, plays sometimes. When he is in, good luck to a defense that wants to crowd the 3 and try and clog lanes. Will be easy buckets for Embiid and eventually will have to loosen up to help cover him.

Ben is already considered a fringe all-NBA guy, not sure why you would be so suspect of him. his floor is like an early Kidd or something which isn't so shabby. Brown made it clear when they drafted Simmons he wanted to spend the first couple of years with Ben focusing on the PG position and how to play it, since he was moving into a PG from PF. they have said they will focus on a jumper after year 2, so I would assume we will see some progress next year.

Supposedly the NBA rules say you have to make the declaration of status by 5 pm the day before a game, though it is unclear what penalties they can or would enforce in the event that the status changed after that.
Embiid is ruled doubtful for tomorrow's game. I think that means he's missing Game 3 but I really don't know what these mean in NBA injury terms compared to what they mean in the NFL

Sixers have this guy named Embiid, plays sometimes. When he is in, good luck to a defense that wants to crowd the 3 and try and clog lanes. Will be easy buckets for Embiid and eventually will have to loosen up to help cover him.

Ben is already considered a fringe all-NBA guy, not sure why you would be so suspect of him. his floor is like an early Kidd or something which isn't so shabby. Brown made it clear when they drafted Simmons he wanted to spend the first couple of years with Ben focusing on the PG position and how to play it, since he was moving into a PG from PF. they have said they will focus on a jumper after year 2, so I would assume we will see some progress next year.
I agree but I'd take my chances of trying to have streaky 3PT shooters beating me then the lane. 

I think todays league is incredible soft when in terms of playing defense. I think Simmons wouldn't have been successful in the NBA during the MJ or Bird Era's of the NBA. I laughed when the announcer said something about Ben being tough because in college one of his biggest weaknesses was teams who played a lot more physical against him. Look at one of his last College games against Kentucky. They basically bullied him down low and took him well off his name. I'm suspect to a guy who can't or is a afraid to take a long range shot. In college he didn't seem to be very coachable on this and there were reports out of LSU he wasn't coachable. Even they tried to help him with a Jumper including his Uncle an Assistant on the team and he kind of refused it. Perhaps that's changed. In the NBA today you need to have some sort of jumper or your weaknesses will be exposed. What I mean by clogging the lanes is play back on Simmons at the 3. Clog the passing lanes and paint and dare the guy to shoot. It's no different then forcing a QB like Vick/Kaepernick Etc into being a pocket passer in football. Force him into something he's not right now. Teams use to do this to Joakim Noah all the time till he got some sort of jumper. I'm ok if teams want to focus on certain areas for players but I think changing up positions on a player isn't smart unless I misread that. If they are keeping Simmons at PG his whole career then I think that makes sense in a bit bit of a way. However it would've been nice for them to work on a bit of some sort of jumper even mid range last year after he was drafted before he was hurt.

whew, Joel has been itching to play for awhile. it is obvious he has wanted to play, and he is playing very physical. literally searching for screens to set and just looking at hurting these guys. Good for him

also heard/read that the reason why this issue with the orbital bone was different then others was that Embiid had a similar injury at Kansas and it didn't seem to be treated right.

found a tweet about it:

Ramona Shelburne✔@ramonashelburne

The reasons this was such a “process.” It’s the second time Embiid has broken this area of his face. First time was at Kansas. All the doctors involved felt there was significant risk of reinjury. So there’s been a lot of work done in developing this new stronger mask.

Tight game.  Shooting much better... gotta get Joel going. 

Finding it really hard to cheer against Olynyk haha

Tight game.  Shooting much better... gotta get Joel going. 

Finding it really hard to cheer against Olynyk haha
hah, the kid seems to play hard. and yeah tight game, can't believe Winslow is hitting all those 3s. Sixers were winning most of the half, and they have the Heat in some foul trouble, so hopefully they can get a spurt somewhere and build a nice lead

hah, the kid seems to play hard. and yeah tight game, can't believe Winslow is hitting all those 3s. Sixers were winning most of the half, and they have the Heat in some foul trouble, so hopefully they can get a spurt somewhere and build a nice lead
Ya he does.  Was a PG in grade 8 when I coached him and then he sprouted up huge in grade 11.

Ya he does.  Was a PG in grade 8 when I coached him and then he sprouted up huge in grade 11.
lol, seriously? that is a funny story

great win for the Sixers tonight, certainly nice when they can control the games. Alaa Abdelnaby was funny tonight too, calling out Olynyk for being a punk

great win for the Sixers tonight, certainly nice when they can control the games. Alaa Abdelnaby was funny tonight too, calling out Olynyk for being a punk
Yep, he was always a shooter and ball handler.  It likely helped him with those things now that he's a big man.  Didn't love the announcer calling Kelly a punk at all though!  Those announcers are hilariously biased but its entertaining!

Huge win, love the way they closed out the game there.  Game 4 is massive... I think we keep it rolling and win by 8.  Game is at 6:30am where I'm at so going to be tough to watch but I'll try haha.

Yep, he was always a shooter and ball handler.  It likely helped him with those things now that he's a big man.  Didn't love the announcer calling Kelly a punk at all though!  Those announcers are hilariously biased but its entertaining!

Huge win, love the way they closed out the game there.  Game 4 is massive... I think we keep it rolling and win by 8.  Game is at 6:30am where I'm at so going to be tough to watch but I'll try haha.
i am just glad they bounced back and didn't show any reservations from last game. was a good win, and yeah Saturday will be interesting. if Sixers take it should only go 5, Heat played pretty well tonight and still lost like they did, so i have to think they are a little down

Wait you coached Kelly Olynyk in Middle School? 

Also never got the hate from people on him. Dude is a flat-out physical baller

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait you coached Kelly Olynyk in Middle School? 

Also never got the hate from people on him. Dude is a flat-out physical baller
Yep!  I was born and raised in Kamloops, British Columbia.  Coached him in his grade 8 year (he played up on our grade 9/10 team that year).  His dad is really involved in the basketball program in the city too (also used to be a trainer for the raptors).  Whoever he plays for has and will always be the 2nd team I cheer for.  Have about 4 Olynyk Celtic jerseys.

I've never been a fan of the Sixers announce team. Always found ZUmoff way too annoying and plus forced too much excitement. Meaning he makes plays that happen seem way better then what they were. Alaa seems to be incredible biased and both guys are really biased. I don't know the guy on Radio name. I like his voice but he tends to be similar to Zumoff calling games. Granted my Bulls got Stacey King who can be incredible biased but with Neil Funk they at least call the team out when they have too. 

Yep!  I was born and raised in Kamloops, British Columbia.  Coached him in his grade 8 year (he played up on our grade 9/10 team that year).  His dad is really involved in the basketball program in the city too (also used to be a trainer for the raptors).  Whoever he plays for has and will always be the 2nd team I cheer for.  Have about 4 Olynyk Celtic jerseys.
Thats pretty cool. My floral manager is friends with former Pitcher Mark DeFelice's wife. She went to school with Mark at my HS and when he was retired after pitching he would come back to my HS and help the baseball team get ready for the season. He now is a pitching coach in the Miami Marlins organization for AA or AAA and I met a friend of his who was going to spring training to see him. My one buddy who was a co worker ended up with Mark's wife and one of my floral manager's friends this year. She texted her a pic and asked so whats this dudes story. She showed me the pic my floral manager and asked me so who's in this pic? I said Holly #### it's Rob!!!!!! I guess they started talking and asked where he was from and she said she was from there and he told her where he worked and he use to work with my Floral manager as well as her husband who is a produce manager at another store.

I went to school with a kid named Gerard Breslin who the Phillies drafted. Only lasted 3 yrs in minors and had a career ending shoulder injury. 

What a great win.  Embiid was a little off but still played great.  He's got such a competitive spirit the other guys feed off it.  We are going to win alot of games with this squad.

JJ Reddick and fultz were the only 2 guys who really seemed off last night.  Brown wisely sat them most of the second half. Fultz looks lost running the offense and Reddick can't find his shot in two straight games.  Luckily we have like 5 other guys who can hit threes but he's supposed to be one of our best.

What a great win.  Embiid was a little off but still played great.  He's got such a competitive spirit the other guys feed off it.  We are going to win alot of games with this squad.
I can't figure out if Embiid's trash talk is a good or bad thing for us.  In one sense it gives us a much needed identity and finally we aren't pushed around.  I just hope when he says things like "I'm going to be a nightmare for Miami" and "they can't guard me", that it isn't just giving them motivation.

I can't figure out if Embiid's trash talk is a good or bad thing for us.  In one sense it gives us a much needed identity and finally we aren't pushed around.  I just hope when he says things like "I'm going to be a nightmare for Miami" and "they can't guard me", that it isn't just giving them motivation.
But he is a nightmare for them. And they can't guard him. Speak the truth JoJo.

But he is a nightmare for them. And they can't guard him. Speak the truth JoJo.
well they can today.  The one thing I can't stand about him is when he tries to do too much, dribbles too much, or seems so out of control and turning the ball over.  Needs to chill a bit.

What a comeback.  Cmon guys, push through here.  25 Turnovers through 3 quarters is insane and is killing us.

What a comeback.  Cmon guys, push through here.  25 Turnovers through 3 quarters is insane and is killing us.
Great win.  So sloppy, nothing falling, Heat getting up in their #### and trying to throw them off, can't get in a flow.  But come 4th quarter, they just locked it down and looked like they were in total control.  Miami really couldn't do anything offensively and Ben just totally controlled the O for the Sixers.  Interesting so see them be able to win a game on just straight half-court offense.  Brett pushing so many of the right buttons this series.  Also Ersan's craftiness really helped out a few times to get some cheap stuff when nothing else was working.

Sixers were incredible lucky last night. Shot horrile but Heat shot terrible from the charity stripe. Difference in todays game. honestly not sure if I'm a tier fan I feel this great. on the playoffs. Stuggleing with a team thats incredible mediocre. 

Sixers were incredible lucky last night. Shot horrile but Heat shot terrible from the charity stripe. Difference in todays game. honestly not sure if I'm a tier fan I feel this great. on the playoffs. Stuggleing with a team thats incredible mediocre. 
Huh?  An inexperienced team, missing their best player for half the series, up 3-1, winning games by 27, 20, and 4 is "struggling"?

Yeah on the road with our best player wearing a crazy mask vs a decent team and the refs and we win both down there?  We did great

Deamon said:
Huh?  An inexperienced team, missing their best player for half the series, up 3-1, winning games by 27, 20, and 4 is "struggling"?
Game 1 was 27 because they went crazy from 3. They were literally shooting and making circus shots. That's not gonna happen every night. I don't think they can outshoot Golden State quite frankly if they get there. Yes they were missing Embiid most of the series. I'm glad to see you mentioned him as their best player too because like I said I think the Sixers can only have a chance to go far if Embiid is playing and healthy. Game 1 they also started out incredible slow. My issue is they are looking great from 3 against a team who is mediocre in all aspects of defense. The other issue is some of these other teams are as good if not better at shooting then Philly. I thought they'd win this series which they should but I do see struggling against better teams. 

need2know said:
Yeah on the road with our best player wearing a crazy mask vs a decent team and the refs and we win both down there?  We did great
Uh what game were you watching? I guess you didn't see Olynick get nailed by Saric in the face with an elbow? They called a common when it should've been a Technical or Flagrant one since it was a foul above the shoulder which should've been 2 FT's and possession. The Sixers are getting favorable calls. 

Uh what game were you watching? I guess you didn't see Olynick get nailed by Saric in the face with an elbow? They called a common when it should've been a Technical or Flagrant one since it was a foul above the shoulder which should've been 2 FT's and possession. The Sixers are getting favorable calls. 
There were plenty of non calls in both games in Miami.  Heat foul almost every possession it seems.  

It doesn't matter. Series should be over Tuesday and we can focus on the next opponent

Game 1 was 27 because they went crazy from 3. They were literally shooting and making circus shots. That's not gonna happen every night. I don't think they can outshoot Golden State quite frankly if they get there. Yes they were missing Embiid most of the series. I'm glad to see you mentioned him as their best player too because like I said I think the Sixers can only have a chance to go far if Embiid is playing and healthy. Game 1 they also started out incredible slow. My issue is they are looking great from 3 against a team who is mediocre in all aspects of defense. The other issue is some of these other teams are as good if not better at shooting then Philly. I thought they'd win this series which they should but I do see struggling against better teams. 
1. Who said we'd beat golden state? 

2.  Who said embiid wasn't our best player and that we'd have a chance to "go far" without him?  Since you thought we'd beat Miami, I'm assuming "going far" to you means making or winning the ecf.  No one thinks we're winning the east without embiid. 

Seems like you're creating arguments where there is none. I think all of us thought we could beat Miami and are happy about how it's gone so far, and that we have a great chance the next round if Embiid is healthy. Making the ecf would be a dream. 

Love this team!  Great second half energy.  Game isn't over but looking really good.  Thrilled with 4-1 series and sitting back for a few days.  Hoping the Boston series goes 7

There were plenty of non calls in both games in Miami.  Heat foul almost every possession it seems.  

It doesn't matter. Series should be over Tuesday and we can focus on the next opponent
I guess my point is and you are seeing it tonight. The Heat might be one of the most least talented teams in the Playoffs of anyone. They are avg at best from defending the 3 and avg offensively. Mia missed some incredible open looks a better shooting and defensive team say the Warriors would capitalize on. I think the problem here is I just don't see the Sixers as good as what their stats have been with an incredible weak Eastern Conference right now. The NBA overall is lacking in consistency in good and bad teams. There's one great team in Golden State, Then Boston with Heyward and Irving Healthy and then 15-20 mediocre to avg teams and then everyone else is just flat-out terrible. Some of them intentionally. This isn't me saying the Sixers can't be a great team at some point though. I said they'd be an #8-7 seed in the East if lucky maybe 6. But I didn't expect the conference to be so bad this year. 

I guess my point is and you are seeing it tonight. The Heat might be one of the most least talented teams in the Playoffs of anyone. They are avg at best from defending the 3 and avg offensively. Mia missed some incredible open looks a better shooting and defensive team say the Warriors would capitalize on. I think the problem here is I just don't see the Sixers as good as what their stats have been with an incredible weak Eastern Conference right now. The NBA overall is lacking in consistency in good and bad teams. There's one great team in Golden State, Then Boston with Heyward and Irving Healthy and then 15-20 mediocre to avg teams and then everyone else is just flat-out terrible. Some of them intentionally. This isn't me saying the Sixers can't be a great team at some point though. I said they'd be an #8-7 seed in the East if lucky maybe 6. But I didn't expect the conference to be so bad this year. 
Jesus man.  I know you don't like the Sixers but it just looks desperate trying to find SOMETHING to complain about with this team to validate your incorrect analysis/predictions on the team.  If you dislike the team, that's fine... but maybe discuss things in the Bulls thread?  We are about to win our series 4-1, and we have looked really good this series.  What else do you need this team to do to impress you?  They look great end of year and you say "they should be an 8 seed but only reason they're a 3 is because the conference is so awful this year"  :rolleyes:

To say that Houston isn't a great team is madness too.  To say that 95% of the league is 'average' is factually impossible.... half the league is above average, and Toronto, Cleveland, Philly, Houston, Utah, etc are all definitely above average, good teams.  C'mon man, we're happy fans that have waited a while for this, no need to try to rain on the parade just because you misread this team. 

EDT:  Wade even said this is the BEST team he has EVER faced in round 1 of the NBA playoffs.  But I guess he's crazy too since we're mediocre/average/lucky not to be a 7 seed.

1. Who said we'd beat golden state? 

2.  Who said embiid wasn't our best player and that we'd have a chance to "go far" without him?  Since you thought we'd beat Miami, I'm assuming "going far" to you means making or winning the ecf.  No one thinks we're winning the east without embiid. 

Seems like you're creating arguments where there is none. I think all of us thought we could beat Miami and are happy about how it's gone so far, and that we have a great chance the next round if Embiid is healthy. Making the ecf would be a dream. 
I guess you haven't seen all the people Dickriding Simmons even before he was drafted. On my old Baseball board almost no one would admit Embiid was the best player even this year. Social media many consider Simmons that. I don't think Simmons is terrible. He needs a jumper and get consistent as a Free Throw shooter. I think the great defenders around him plus Embiid hide a lot of his defensive weaknesses which should be a very big praise to Brett Brown and BC. I've seen a lot of talk elsewhere not hear about how Simmons is their best player and how they are taking the East. I'm kind of curious why some think that when Boston is still around and I think people underrate Toronto. 

I don't think they'll get far but given my NBA is dirty and there's more to these fixed games then just Donaghey I wouldn't put it past the NBA to do everything possible to get a Lebron/Simmons EFC Show down for TV ratings. 

I guess you haven't seen all the people Dickriding Simmons even before he was drafted. On my old Baseball board almost no one would admit Embiid was the best player even this year. Social media many consider Simmons that. I don't think Simmons is terrible. He needs a jumper and get consistent as a Free Throw shooter. I think the great defenders around him plus Embiid hide a lot of his defensive weaknesses which should be a very big praise to Brett Brown and BC. I've seen a lot of talk elsewhere not hear about how Simmons is their best player and how they are taking the East. I'm kind of curious why some think that when Boston is still around and I think people underrate Toronto. 

I don't think they'll get far but given my NBA is dirty and there's more to these fixed games then just Donaghey I wouldn't put it past the NBA to do everything possible to get a Lebron/Simmons EFC Show down for TV ratings. 
Haven't heard people boasting that we are taking the east... where are you seeing this?

You yourself called Toronto a "mediocre to average" team... now you think they're underrated?

I'm glad you don't think Simmons is "terrible" lol.  To not be impressed by him this year is showing you're being a little stubborn on your analysis of this team.

These games are not fixed.  Philly is not advancing because of "tv ratings", but I suppose IF we beat Boston that will be your reasoning.

Users who are viewing this thread