What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2025 NBA Champion Philadelphia 76ers Thread*** - Still Processing (3 Viewers)

Except this kind of sucks:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842448-76ers-rumors-philly-likely-to-lose-either-jimmy-butler-tobias-harris-or-both

“On The Full 48 podcast, Bleacher Report's Howard Beck said has heard Philadelphia could lose at least one of Butler and Harris, if not both:

"I have heard some very strong rumblings this week that the Sixers are gonna lose one—and maybe even both—of Tobias Harris and Jimmy Butler.

[...]

"Take it with all due grains of salt, we're talking about this still on June 21, but I would not be surprised if Jimmy Butler and/or Tobias Harris go elsewhere. The Sixers just have some strange dynamics with that group."

any indication on ownership's feeling about being locked into several years of luxury tax? i've always felt that was a factor in some of the Celtics personnel decisions in the Jerseypix™ era.

and what's the word on Zaire? i really liked his tape, but all i've heard since is that he appeared to have gone to the Simmons/Fultz School of Yips.

wikkidpissah said:
any indication on ownership's feeling about being locked into several years of luxury tax? i've always felt that was a factor in some of the Celtics personnel decisions in the Jerseypix™ era.

and what's the word on Zaire? i really liked his tape, but all i've heard since is that he appeared to have gone to the Simmons/Fultz School of Yips.
the most prominent of their group of governors has said multiple times that he is willing to pay the tax if it means a championship level team.  I still have some skepticism, as the team is continually highly focused on making money, but he is definitely on record with that.

So I guess now that the shock and anger of the draft has worn off, let’s think about what the team will look like.  After all of these shenanigans, they better ####### bring back both butler and Harris (or somehow get a different max guy for one of them).  Which probably leaves the roster like this:

embiid 

simmons

butler

harris

reddick

thybulle

Zaire

scott

tj

bolden

shake

some backup center (please)

If I do that by holding the bird rights and signing:

butler (max 32.7), Harris (max 32.7), Reddick (9 mill), Scott (5 mill), tj (1.6 mill), and the center on the biannual, they still have non taxpayer MLE (at least according to the capulator http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=17451484825d0feeb30c311462582192)

Let's say that backup is Kyle O'Quinn and that they could get Mirotic with the MLE, then the cap looks like this: http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=8344315265d0fefe71c8cd057525598

Mirotic might be too pie in the sky, so maybe Marcus Morris or Al-Faroug Aminu would be a good substitute.

That gives them 12 players and they are just barely over the tax.  I assume Shayok will be in the G leauge.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been worth having  another 2nd round pick or 2 at the end of the roster, but I guess I can see a little more of the vision of this roster construction as long as they bring back/in 2 max FAs.

I guess they could maybe get Harris or Scott or Butler to sign for slightly less and that would keep them under the luxury tax to start (though 9 mill may be a little optimistic for JJ).  And then they play around with the roster over the year to keep enough fresh guys and not go into the tax.  Then they are set up to re-sign Ben without ever having gone into the tax before next year and then they better pay it out the ###.
I guess Al counts?

Here's a pretty good summary of where the Sixers are now: https://www.libertyballers.com/2019/7/1/20676886/whats-left-to-do-for-the-sixers-in-free-agency-philadelphia-76ers-nba

After a wild opening night of free agency, Sixers fans saw the roster significantly altered for yet another time in the last eight months. Miami is currently working out the pieces with either Dallas or another third party to create the necessary cap space to bring in Jimmy Butler in the sign-and-trade. Assuming the Sixers do not have to take back any more additional salary than Josh Richardson, here is the roster Philadelphia is currently looking at and what they still have available to work with going forward.

Tobias Harris: $31.03M
Joel Embiid: $27.5M
Al Horford: $22.56M
Josh Richardson: $10.12M
Ben Simmons: $8.11M
Mike Scott: $4.78M
Zhaire Smith: $3.06M
Jonah Bolden: $1.7M
Matisse Thybulle: $2.58M
Shake Milton: Two-way contract
Marial Shayok: Unsigned, likely two-way contract

If we assume the Sixers slot Scott in using the Room Exception, they have $7.71M in cap space remaining to fill out the rest of the roster.

Jeff Siegel@jgsiegel

There ya go, so Philly will have the $7.71 million in space leftover to figure out the rest of their roster. Mike Scott is already in the Room Exception, so it's just this space plus minimums. They have nine guys under contract for next season right now.https://www.earlybirdrights.com/salary-cap/phi  https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/1145500230324051970 …

So what do they need? As I see it, the Sixers still have three roles left to fill.

Shooter to replace JJ Redick

Josh Richardson is much younger and a much better defender than the team’s former starting shooting guard, but while he’s perfectly fine as an outside shooter, Richardson doesn’t offer the same gravity as Redick. Surrounding Simmons and Embiid with as many shooters as possible as always been viewed as a priority (although not always executed as such).

Possible replacements: Danny Green (unlikely given limited cap space), Seth Curry, Wayne Ellington

Backup point guard

With Point Jimmy in South Beach, the Sixers will need a guy to run the second unit. Philadelphia still has a cap hold for T.J. McConnell, but it’s assumed he’ll get a larger deal elsewhere.

Possible solutions: Ish Smith (update: signed with Washington), Jeremy Lin, JJ Barea

Another center (I know, I know)

Though in the playoffs, Horford will start alongside Embiid before also rotating in as the backup center, the Sixers will still need another big man to soak up a ton of backup minutes during the regular season. Maybe the team feels Jonah Bolden is ready for the role, but given the need to rest both Embiid and Horford during the season, it couldn’t hurt to have another guy available. The team should not pay much more than the minimum to fill this role given the huge percentage of the cap already allocated to Embiid and Horford.

Possible solutions: Boban Marjanovic, JaVale McGee, Nene Hilario
I think that there could be better options at C.  I still think that they might bring TJ back after they do everything else.

Ben getting paid if he takes the offer. If he doesn't, I'm pretty sure that means he's gone in 2 years.

so they shot like crap and still won easily.  i dont love their bench but this team will win alot of games.

was watching Ben closely to see his jumper.  seemed like the same guy we have seen to me.  maybe he shoots more later but i didnt notice anything different about his play

need2know said:
so they shot like crap and still won easily.  i dont love their bench but this team will win alot of games.

was watching Ben closely to see his jumper.  seemed like the same guy we have seen to me.  maybe he shoots more later but i didnt notice anything different about his play
the thing is that they are so dominant defensively that even average offense is not going to be a problem most nights in the regular season (assuming some good transition buckets and just a few more 3s from Richardson, Scott, Ennis, Thybulle).  So I definitely think the offense will be a work in progress and that IF Simmons ever shoots, it will be a very slow process to work it in over the season.

the thing is that they are so dominant defensively that even average offense is not going to be a problem most nights in the regular season (assuming some good transition buckets and just a few more 3s from Richardson, Scott, Ennis, Thybulle).  So I definitely think the offense will be a work in progress and that IF Simmons ever shoots, it will be a very slow process to work it in over the season.
yes agree.  maybe they can swing a trade or move for another shooter?

barely beat Cleveland at home...  Ben might actually be worse then his rookie year. This team is getting booted in the 1st or 2nd round again, Brett Brown probably gets fired.

This team is dumb as hell. Turnovers. Firing 3's. Lazy defense. 

They need to wake the #### up. 

This is not a good team. 3rd Philly team this year touted as championship Calibur until we play the games. Then we see that they're not only lacking championship quality, they're actually mediocre or worse.

They're done. No heart. No hustle. Can't figure out what they want to be. This was a lost season. They'll face Boston in the first round and probably lose in 7 because they simply can't win on the road. 

I'm taking my 5 year old son to the Sixers game on March 27th (against the Suns).  He's become obsessed with sports (favorite teams are Steelers, Eagles and Sixers in that order).  He has memoized pretty much every single score in the NFL since about week 8 (not just scores from Eagles/Steelers but every single team).  Anyways, I want his first experience at a Sixers game to be an awesome experience.  I happen to also have a $150 Ticketmaster voucher that I plan to use (and willing to spend more if needed).  I want a seat with a good view for him.  Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking my 5 year old son to the Sixers game on March 27th (against the Suns).  He's become obsessed with sports (favorite teams are Steelers, Eagles and Sixers in that order).  He has memoized pretty much every single score in the NFL since about week 8 (not just scores from Eagles/Steelers but every single team).  Anyways, I want his first experience at a Sixers game to be an awesome experience.  I happen to also have a $150 Ticketmaster voucher that I plan to use (and willing to spend more if needed).  I want a seat with a good view for him.  Any thoughts?
"If you can get lower level mid court those are fantastic seats...." - Captain Obvious

So the place I'm living at in Melbourne right now, right across the street from my window is the hospital Ben Simmons was born in.  I was pretty excited when I found that out haha.

well managed to squeak out a win in the bubble against one of the worst non-playoff teams in there....

1st round exit imo

Pushing Hinkie out was the beginning of the end. Been all #### since. 
Yep.  Best GM we've had in decades.  He must be loving this right now.  Sucks that people will say Hinkie's strategy didn't work. 

It's like he bought all the best groceries and they let a terrible chef cook the meal and he got blamed for the groceries.   Or something like that.  Ugh.

Forgot about this thread. Really haven't watched many games this year but been keeping tabs on them. I'll watch come playoff time. 

yeah, lol, been long time since i ventured in here. team looks great these days, really going to be an interesting week and a half to see how this turns out. if i have to predict:

Monday W over Dallas @   Dallas

Wed  W over Nets  - Sixers seem much more focused on this game, knowing the gravity of the result. 

Friday W over Clippers (really only because they are playing at home. was all about making this a loss, but playing at home should allow them a win here

Sunday W over Warriors (could be a letdown game, but hoping they don't give in)

Wednesday L to the Suns at home (was leaning a win with Embiid dominating, but couldn't figure out a way for this team to keep getting wins)

Thursday @ Bucks L  - who the hell made this schedule? they play Wednesday night at home, and have a back to back with having to fly to Milwaukee for this game. Sixers should consider letting the guys rest for this one

Saturday @ Bucks W  - SIxers spank the Bucks badly on this Saturday game

Forgot about this thread. Really haven't watched many games this year but been keeping tabs on them. I'll watch come playoff time. 
this is a good week to catch up with the next 6 games all nationally televised games. Wednesday is a juggernaut of a match-up that will be a pretty big deal if the Sixers can come out on top, winning the tie breaker over the Nets and hopefully securing 1st place. 

After these next 6 games, they have 12 more before the playoffs. only tough game is Heat, and possibly the Pacers. so if they can come out of this with wins over the Bucks (both would be awesome, but even if just 1) and Nets, will be ok to take a 2-3 week break and come back and watch the #1 seed in the playoffs

need2know said:
The schedule sure seems brutal
tonight will be fun though. glad the Sixers are mostly healthy for this one, my money will on the Sixers tonight so double hoping they win 

tonight will be fun though. glad the Sixers are mostly healthy for this one, my money will on the Sixers tonight so double hoping they win 
I think they are the better team.    I will be watching closely.  Durants back right?

I think they are the better team.    I will be watching closely.  Durants back right?
just read, Nets are sitting Harden, KD, Aldridge, and Blake. Also think Kyrie is still out on some holiday or whatever it is when he steps away for multiple games for that team. So game should be a little bit of a dud. I took the Sixers at -8.5, and hope it covers, but the game is just silly that the NBA is still televising it while the Nets org. chooses to sit 6 guys for the heck of it

just read, Nets are sitting Harden, KD, Aldridge, and Blake. Also think Kyrie is still out on some holiday or whatever it is when he steps away for multiple games for that team. So game should be a little bit of a dud. I took the Sixers at -8.5, and hope it covers, but the game is just silly that the NBA is still televising it while the Nets org. chooses to sit 6 guys for the heck of it
better kick their ###

Users who are viewing this thread